PDA

View Full Version : JBL PRX series - worth the cash?

rohan
03-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Hey Guys,
My current setup is a single JBL MRX 728S Subwoofer run off a QSC RMX 2450 amp, with 2 x RCF Cabs (800w) run off a Crown XLS series amp. I forget the exact specs of the mid/high cabs, but when they were setup the amps were matched to the cabs.
Basically, I was out at my local pub the another night, and they had a setup of 2x JBL PRX 625 mid/highs and 2x JBL PRX 618S-XLF subwoofers running. Absolutely great as compared to my current system, delivering chest pounding bass.
From what I found out, they were being run from 3 phase power, and they were positioned about 2 feet off the ground.
Does anyone have any experience running a system like above on non 3 phase power? Can you still achieve great bass on this system? (I do realise it will be less, but the question is by how much)
How great an effect would have the subs been sitting on the raised stage area have had on the subs volume?
What are people’s thoughts on the above JBL PRX System? Worth the money for the upgrade about $6500 Australian?

Other important details:
I DJ with mostly techno/ dance/ dubstep to crowds of between 50-100 people.
I’m not interested in JBL SRX/ VRX etc as I’ve already priced systems like these and will cost between 12-15k to get shipped to AUS.
I’m also looking to stay with the JBL / crown / qsc brands as they’ve been absolutely fantastic.
My Maximum budget is $7000 Australian / USD
I’m not after suggestions to import into Australia.
My other main motivator is to switch to an active system, as my current system is a bit of a pain to setup being a passive system.

Cheers,

windspeed36
03-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Yay another Aussie :D....

The PRX system is really really good for its price. You'll have no problem with power supply as long as you have 2 or 3 different circuits. I'd actually go the PRX635 over the 625 because the 6" driver gives the mids a boost and takes some of the strain off the other drivers therefore generating a better overall sound. 2 635's and 2 618S-XLF's would be good for up to 350 people at a decent volume.

Also at any idiot who doesn't read what he's written you pretty much can't get overseas equipment shipped to Australia. Harman(JBL Crown DBX Soundcraft AKG BBE), RCF and QSC won't let you import from the US to Australia. Prices in Aus are double sometimes tripple the US price - RCF312A - US $500 Aus - $1400

Also consider chucking your current equipment up on Ebay or take it into CC's light and sound or Music Swop Shop

rohan
03-12-2012, 02:06 AM
Yay another Aussie :D....

Yeah few of us hiding around here somewhere

The PRX system is really really good for its price. You'll have no problem with power supply as long as you have 2 or 3 different circuits. I'd actually go the PRX635 over the 625 because the 6" driver gives the mids a boost and takes some of the strain off the other drivers therefore generating a better overall sound. 2 635's and 2 618S-XLF's would be good for up to 350 people at a decent volume.

How does having the 6" driver in the 635 affect the volume as compared to the 625's? Noticeable difference or small and made up for with sound quality?

windspeed36
03-12-2012, 04:12 AM
The 635 makes up for the slight lack of volume compared to the 625 in their sound quality for sure. They have very very good mids and highs

Unknown DJ
03-12-2012, 04:45 AM
Why not just add a second sub?

windspeed36
03-12-2012, 04:48 AM
Pretty sure he's getting 2 PRX618S-XFL's

rohan
03-12-2012, 05:17 AM

Thats the one.

Adding a second sub isn't really a good option as i feel my mid/high's a pretty harsh at the moment when running at high volume, and my current sub just seems to lack enough power, may be partly due to my Class H amp not getting enough quality power from the line, not to mention active will save weight.

Unknown DJ
03-12-2012, 05:34 AM

I meant adding a second sub to his current system.