PDA

View Full Version : Behringer DDM4000 Review (After 2 Year of Use)

DJ Riddims
02-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Behringer DDM4000 Review – After 2 Years of Almost Daily Use

Looks and Display
At first glance it looks complicated yet it makes you think about the many things that the mixer is capable of doing. The blinding lights that were greatly hated on the early models have been removed so the mixer is easier to look at in lowlight situations. The channel and master LED level bars are fairly accurate and quick to respond to volume changes. Keep in mind there are only 2 colors on the bar, orange and red, this means that there is no neutral green or third color making it hard for one to maintain a 0dB signal. This is not that big of a deal, just don’t let your level meter go into the red. All of the buttons are plastic and after having the mixer for two years the oils and skin cells from my finger I guess have been absorbed by the buttons I hit most, such as the PFL button, leaving a smudge on the button causing the LED to look a bit dimmer, and simple cleaning solution will fix that problem. Also the LED on a PFL button has gone very dim which is interesting because I have rarely touched that particularly PFL button. The mixer is overall in a logical layout except for the headphone jack which is place nearly in the middle of the right hand side of the mixer, though you get used to it after a while.

Feel
For a mixer that packs many features it sure is light, maybe a little too light causing one to be skeptical of its build quality. I have dropped it a few times, about one foot falls, and it has survived. As I stated before all of the buttons are hard plastic, this creates a problem. The plastic buttons grind against the metal faceplate and create dust that you can see forming on the side of the mixer. The buttons I have hit the most, PFL buttons, have lost some sensitivity requiring a forceful push to activate or deactivate the button. The channel faders are light but they do not feel smooth. It feels as if there is some sand in the fader track. The crossfader is smoother and is capable of performing your basic scratches. The eq knobs are a little stiff but will smooth out with use. Basically all of the knobs and buttons are same and don't feel smooth causing the mixer to feel less user-friendly.

Sound Quality
The sound is a bit cold and bland in my opinion which causes me to sometimes leave a light reverb effect on throughout my set.

Effects
The DDM comes with a decent amount of effects such as flanger, echo, bitcrusher and several others which you can use on any or all channels as well as the mic. You can control the specific parameters of each effect to achieve the desired sound which makes the effects sound good after proper adjustment. You can also specify if you want the effects to only affect the hi, mid, or low of the music. The mixer automatically matches effects with time parameters with its built-in BPM counter but this can easily be overridden. Controlling the effects can be slightly difficult being that the controls are small and have multi-purposes. If you’re selecting a channel to set your effects to and decided to hit the “effects on” button it will not engage which still throws me off even after two years of use.

Sampler
The sampler section has two banks that lets one record up to 32 seconds on each bank. I don’t use it much being that I have a dedicated sampler, but from the little I have experimented with it it’s possible to create some cool effects and delays. There is a noticeable fuzz sound in the recordings.

Mic
The mic input truly sucks. There is no volume control only a trim control. This means one cannot regulate the amount of db coming into the channel causing one to easily get crazy amounts of feedback even if you have the trim knob below 25 percent. Because of this a have to use a 2 channel studio mixer which takes up one of my mixer channels so I can use a microphone.

Inputs and Outputs
This mixer has almost all the inputs and outputs anyone would need except it is missing an usb output.

Problems
-mic input to much gain
-on some occasions the effects stop working properly and change the sound quality when you engage it (think of a filter). This can be fixed by repowering the unit.

Overall
The DDM has many features so I can’t go over everything. It is great if you want a mixer that does it all for a low price. One should expect that the mixer will not work as well as the more expensive mixers it’s trying to simulate. I am happy that I bought the mixer because it gave me the opportunity to experiment with many features that more expensive models have. If you are going to use a microphone avoid this mixer at all costs. The mixer is decent but needs to be at more streamlined in terms of its effects controls and have better knobs and buttons to.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Rek_Aviles
02-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Added to front page. Thnks.

http://www.djforums.com/forums/content.php?186-Behringer-DDM4000-Review-(After-2-Year-of-Use)

g-sep
02-05-2012, 02:36 PM
I've had mine since July of 2011,only problem I get is a little digital noise; and that's with my levels below red. Overall I'm happy with it for what it does. I do beat the pass out of it (just watch me on faderwave sometime ;)). Can't really complain, if I can get another year of use out of it is be happy.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

JohnnyGraz
02-05-2012, 10:09 PM
I had the DDM4000 for about 4 months before upgrading to the Pioneer DJM-2000. I must say, for the price, it has a LOT of great features. The MIC input was extremely annoying however I must say!

DJ Riddims
02-07-2012, 09:34 PM
I had the DDM4000 for about 4 months before upgrading to the Pioneer DJM-2000. I must say, for the price, it has a LOT of great features. The MIC input was extremely annoying however I must say!

Wow, that is quite the upgrade, I am debating Pioneer DJM 900 or Denon DN-x1700 as my next mixer.

Budzak
02-07-2012, 11:33 PM
I had been considering a DDM4k before I got my AEM-100, but seeing that it's been relatively ok for the time it's been out has kinda pushed me towards wanting a NOX606.

Unfortunately, I can't find a good review of that thing ANYWHERE!

Manu
02-08-2012, 02:38 AM
I have dropped it a few times, about one foot falls

:eek:

The MIC input was extremely annoying however I must say!

That's what absolutely all them mobile DJs said about it, the mic on these is rubbish(sensitivity too high even with the gain all the way down). Avoid this mixer if you intend to use it.

Konix
02-08-2012, 10:47 AM
kinda pushed me towards wanting a NOX606.

Unfortunately, I can't find a good review of that thing ANYWHERE!

Coming right up.

JohnnyGraz
02-08-2012, 12:38 PM
:eek:
That's what absolutely all them mobile DJs said about it, the mic on these is rubbish(sensitivity too high even with the gain all the way down). Avoid this mixer if you intend to use it.

I thought all the reviewers were just being overly critical. Then I realized that the mic input does truly SUCK.

DJ SD
03-01-2012, 04:39 AM
True the Mic Input does suck, especially the fact that you are constantly on the verge of reverb whenever you use a Direct Mic with no separate controls, but other than that I've been using the DDM4000 for about 2 years as well, and I still would recommend it.

Manu
03-01-2012, 09:47 AM
I guess a good trick would be to plug the mic on a wire that has some volume control on it, that way you could force the sensitivity down. Still a shame thought, it's yet another known issue that was never addressed by the brand.

Budzak
03-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Dangit, seeing meh reviews for the NOX606 now makes me want a DDM4k, but some people tell me it's not the way to go. Arrrgghhh, I wish I were rich, I'd just buy a Xone 92R and be done with it.

shepe
03-01-2012, 03:54 PM
I bought the DdM 4k on launch day for £250 of which I see they are now selling for around £300. Anyways it was a great mixer, I never used the mic input so cant comment on that but all in all I was very impressed with it, the only issue U had was after a while there was a continuous hum whenever I tried to record using the REC out outputs, I upgraded last year to a djm 900 but for the time I had it it was a great product, sold it on ebay 3 years later for £40 less than what i paid for it as well :)

rokuez
05-30-2012, 06:37 PM
I guess a good trick would be to plug the mic on a wire that has some volume control on it, that way you could force the sensitivity down. Still a shame thought, it's yet another known issue that was never addressed by the brand.

Can u link me to something like this for a mic ?

ampnation
05-30-2012, 06:55 PM
I've had good luck with ART stuff and I see they have the tube mp for about $30. Hopefully someone who has used one can chime in.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

rokuez
05-30-2012, 08:18 PM
I've had good luck with ART stuff and I see they have the tube mp for about $30. Hopefully someone who has used one can chime in.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Wouldn't this just amplify and not necessarily stop clipping or feedback? Or am I wrong

DJ Riddims
05-31-2012, 01:13 PM
This is what you would need,
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68085-REG/Audio_Technica_AT8202_AT8202_In_Line_Attenuator.ht ml

M3Ho
08-07-2012, 08:47 PM
I've had mine for about a year and a half and there for awhile it was taking a beating from 3 of us...... I have channels 2 and 3 mapped out to the effects of traktor. The PFL serves as the on/off button while the eq knobs are the parameter controls..... My bottom knob on channel 2 is definitely looser feeling (I've turned it about as hard/fast as I could at times), but still operates fine......

Other than the obvious mic problems, which I only attempted for all of 5 mins, I've been more than happy with it considering the price tag on it!!

g-sep
08-07-2012, 09:07 PM
I just remembered that I've had mine for a little over a year now. Still works like the day I got it. Most likely going to keep it until it dies, no sense to replace it for just home use.

MixedUp
01-12-2013, 05:47 AM
Behringer DDM4000 Review – After 2 Years of Almost Daily Use

Mic
The mic input truly sucks. There is no volume control only a trim control.

Seeing this post made me register on this site.

Yes I know it is raising an old post but I just couldn't help myself.

I use this mixer as a karaoke host in a local public house not far from where I live. I have over 3400 watts in amplification with 2 wireless mics and one wired mic connected to the mixer. The only time i get feedback is when somebody stands close to a speaker, when I say close I mean within under 12 inches. There are 8 BOSE 802's around the karaoke area and 2 800 watt subs, one of the 802's is at in the corner of the DJ booth about 26 inches from my head. The volume is always set halfway and you normally struggle to chat without having to shout at the person you are talking to. There are settings for the mic DB you can adjust as well as the usual trim etc. It takes a bit of fiddling with but after a while it will drop into place without feedback.

Yes it is a fantastic mixer for it's price. Lets hope the pending new mixer upgrade is going to be as good as this has been.

Houdini823
02-24-2013, 06:56 PM
I use a -20db attenuator on my mic input and it works great. There is a guy on eBay that builds them in a cable with works better for ease of use when connecting XLR cable.

Other than that its been a really great mixer and I've had mines since the initial launch.

KLH
02-24-2013, 07:08 PM
I've often wondered why Behringer didn't update this mixer to address the annoyances. It seems like it'd be so easy to do.

-KLH

DJ Riddims
03-07-2013, 06:19 PM
I've often wondered why Behringer didn't update this mixer to address the annoyances. It seems like it'd be so easy to do.

-KLH

I hope a new model is around the corner. If they fixed the old issues of the 4000 I would definitely think about upgrading.

bumpyjonas
03-07-2013, 07:10 PM
I had the DDM 4000 as a backup to my primary mixer DJM 800 when it came out (sold on ebay in) but even as a backup mixer the mic issues was annoying. Overall the other features of the mixer were surprisingly good. For someone on a budget or bedroom dj it is more than enough.