PDA

View Full Version : Cerwin-Vega CVA-28, Good or Garbage?

Gjhowe1
03-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Hey guys,

Dont have any experience with Cerwin-Vega or any of their products so im not sure what the deal is with them. Recently got offered a deal on a pair of CVA-28 active cabs, 1000 for two new ones. From what i can tell these things are loud but don't sound great at low spl.

Currently i own a pair of yorkville NX520p but they are kinda beet up, been tossed around and have a lot of wear and tear on them so I would be looking for something to replace them with that looks more professional.

I kinda like the idea that they are small and easy to carry / setup. Due to the 8" drivers i would defiantly need a sub to go with them. Primary use would be college parties, outdoor music playing (backyard sized) and small venues (100-150 ppl in a conference room).

So questions:

1) Are they any good? SPL vs. quality.

2) Is 1000 a good deal for two of these?

3) Would they sound best with a CV sub or a different brand (ie. elx 118p / LS720p)?

4) Is this a horrible idea and i should stick with the yorkvilles and save up for some better cabs (ie. yorkville nx750p's or ELX 112P)

Thanks guys!

-Greg

Incognito
03-11-2012, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't even consider it when you take into account that you can get a pair of RCF 312a for less & sound better.

Gjhowe1
03-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Normally i would agree with you, but in Canada the lowest ive ever seen an rcf 312a go for is 700 new. Seams to be a huge price difference between usa and canada :(

Incognito
03-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Normally i would agree with you, but in Canada the lowest ive ever seen an rcf 312a go for is 700 new. Seams to be a huge price difference between usa and canada :(

Here's a deal http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCF-ART312A-ART-312A-ULTIMATE-SUPPORT-JSKC90-TRANSPORT-CART-SPEAKER-PA-PACKAGE-/180779955783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a17533647#ht_4406wt_1163 for a pair of RCF 312a speakers a Rock N Roller style cart with shipping to Canada for everything for a total of $1,120.02.

Gjhowe1
03-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Duty and brokerage makes it $1332.09 Sigh, i love Canada but some days i wish we could get US pricing. Ill have a wait for a few weeks and see if i can afford the extra 400 ish bucks. Any views on the ELX112P? Slightly cheaper cab made by EV.

Incognito
03-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Any reason why you simply can't clean up your existing speakers or even buy another pair of NX speakers (not sure what they sell for where you're at but Yorkville is a Canadian company)?

DJ Riddims
03-11-2012, 06:45 PM
I agree with, Incognito. Are you unhappy with your Yorkvilles besides its condition? If not some touch paint and maybe a bit of sanding is all you need. Don't just buy something because it is a good deal if what you currently have works.

Gjhowe1
03-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Im not unhappy with them, there just starting to approach the end of their lives so i thought id start looking around for replacements so i have a good idea of what i want when they go ka-put. Will try the touch up paint tonight on a small section and see how that goes.

drzinc
03-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Ok forget the bull crap, most or all of the responders above have a dislike for Cerwin Vega (and never heard these) and even if a Cervin Vega product sounds good they would not consider it. Those are fine sounding speakers and I have used them. They use a coaxial woofer/horn and a conventional woofer. They have a nice crisp sound with tight punchy mid bass. They sound great at low volume all the way up to their limit. paired with their matching sub they sound as good or better than some speakers systems costing twice more.

Incognito
03-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Ok forget the bull crap, most or all of the responders above have a dislike for Cerwin Vega (and never heard these) and even if a Cervin Vega product sounds good they would not consider it. Those are fine sounding speakers and I have used them. They use a coaxial woofer/horn and a conventional woofer. They have a nice crisp sound with tight punchy mid bass. They sound great at low volume all the way up to their limit. paired with their matching sub they sound as good or better than some speakers systems costing twice more.
For their price there are better options.