PDA

View Full Version : what gear

kickassDJ25
03-11-2012, 01:59 PM
hey

thinking of setting up a mobile DJ business as a means to earn a few extra $£ to keep me going through college

I already have cdjs and a laptop so tick that off. Could u guys recommend me some speakers and lights? Budget around 1000-1500 dollars

thanks

Sam Whitman
03-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Yes. I recommend a much higher budget. You won't get good speakers and lights for the kind of money. Just speakers possibly if you go through the right dealer but you won't have any money left over for lights or a sub.

kickassDJ25
03-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Do u think I would need a sub?

Theres some mega bargains to be got nowadays though. I think 1000-1500euro might be enough to get going?!

Dave Daschofsky
03-11-2012, 09:50 PM
I started out with a pair of 2x15s for under 1000 but if I got the chance to do it over again I would have saved a bit and spent $2500 or so on decent tops and a sub.

For the lights it depends on what you're doing. if it's just small house parties you can get by with a couple effect lights on a tree. I'm putting around $5,000 into lights this summer just to be able to take on bigger gigs, I'd rather be spending 2-3x that to get what I really want but that's how the budget goes.

Sam Whitman
03-11-2012, 09:55 PM
If you are spending less than $700 (or euro's I don't know the conversion) per box (MAP not actual price you spend) then you will need new speakers in a year. I recommend QSC K10's or K12's which you can get for that price from the right retailer.

Defiance
03-11-2012, 11:38 PM
.... then you will need new speakers in a year..

LOL, man at that rate I should of replaced my speakers about 3 times so far. I could of purchased about 4 pairs for the price of the QSCs (although I'd love to have a pair).

You should be able to get a minimal setup for that much. Look second hand for a basic LED light setup though.

windspeed36
03-11-2012, 11:41 PM
If you are spending less than $700 (or euro's I don't know the conversion) per box (MAP not actual price you spend) then you will need new speakers in a year. I recommend QSC K10's or K12's which you can get for that price from the right retailer.

Your saying that the 8 RCF 312A's along with some of my other speakers should have already been replaced 4 times? Well shit....:stupid:

Lost Connection
03-12-2012, 05:00 AM
If you are spending less than $700 (or euro's I don't know the conversion) per box (MAP not actual price you spend) then you will need new speakers in a year.

Now that does sound a bit odd, considering the speaker setups people have :tup:

kickassDJ25
03-12-2012, 07:06 PM
anyone know anything the Yahama mrs 400?

ampnation
03-12-2012, 07:42 PM
I've heard the MSR series from Yamaha is lackluster. The new DXR's are getting mixed reviews. I certainly wouldn't object to trying a pair of DXR15 and the corresponding 18" sub.

You'll see a lot of recommendations for the RCF ART312A but I understand outside the U.S. their awesome price advantage evaporates.

If you can find a used market over there, look for used QSC HPR speakers. They're a bit heavier than the KW that replaced them, but very nice sounding and I've had good luck with used goods as long as they were goods that were quality to begin with.

Basically, in the U.S., about $3000 is a good amount for a pair of tops and a matching subwoofer from the same manufacturer. Given exchange rates and import costs, you're not likely to find as good a deal in the UK I'm afraid.

and btw, this should have gone in the speakers and amplifiers section of the forum