PDA

View Full Version : Serato vs Traktor

kickassDJ25
03-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Hey guys

I'm thinking of getting rid of TSP2 and getting Serato, my reasons are simple, I have had nothing but problems since I purchased TSP2 and I just haven't used it because every time I use my timecoded cd's I get another issue so I'm just going to get rid of it and start "fresh".

So I was thinking of selling my cdj1000s and buying cdj 900's or going for Serato and keeping my 1000s

So I wanna hear from Serato users, what do u think of it? any issues? feedback? opinions etc

thanks

antFastic
03-11-2012, 02:47 PM
I would say it is likely that if TSP2 has given you nothing but problems, you probably won't have much better luck with Serato. They are both stable professional tools and both are entirely dependent on a correctly configured system that is performing well.

Serato is great, if you like the interface and it suits your work-flow then go for it. But if you are changing purely for performance issues, I would consider first the configuration and working state of your laptop, check for latency spikes, stuff like that.

What is your computer spec and what sort of problems were you having?

Sam Whitman
03-11-2012, 02:50 PM
I love Serato it's a great program I have used just about every DJ program that I can think of and I use them all for different types of events but I would say in comparison to TSP Serato is very basic they have done their best to emulate vinyl and make it sound and work amazing rather than giving you a million effects and total midi control which isn't a bad thing. I won't say Serato is better nor will I say Traktor is better they are just different. A lot of people will say Serato is for Hip Hop and Traktor is for EDM and I totally disagree you can use Serato for both and you can use Traktor for both. I would recommend some CDJ 850-k's (just because the black ones look badass and they are the same price) and get Serato if you like it then great, if not sell Serato on ebay and you're good. CDJ 850's have very similar features to the 900's which in my opinion are not worth the extra couple hundered.

Divercity
03-11-2012, 02:51 PM
This is the DJ equivalent to MAC VS PC(Windows)

Try them both and pick the one that works for you.

deejayjsin
03-11-2012, 03:51 PM
This is the DJ equivalent to MAC VS PC(Windows)

Try them both and pick the one that works for you.

This!
Also try looking through http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?3316-Pro-s-and-Con-s-of-each-DJ-software

Defiance
03-11-2012, 03:51 PM
I REALLY want Traktor to work better for me as well. I just find it to be clumsy, such as using the jog wheels instead of the pitch blend buttons, I can scratch to beat match the incoming song just find on VDJ and Itch but can't master it on Traktor, it might be completely 100% mapping issues but both VDJ/Itch don't have these tiny little problems. I enjoy mixing a lot on Traktor but no way could I play infront of people w/ it.

I would totally give serato a shot, it is a lot smooth to me than traktor, but I haven't had a single error with any of the programs.

kickassDJ25
03-11-2012, 05:09 PM
I would say it is likely that if TSP2 has given you nothing but problems, you probably won't have much better luck with Serato. They are both stable professional tools and both are entirely dependent on a correctly configured system that is performing well.

Serato is great, if you like the interface and it suits your work-flow then go for it. But if you are changing purely for performance issues, I would consider first the configuration and working state of your laptop, check for latency spikes, stuff like that.

What is your computer spec and what sort of problems were you having?

I have a 10 month old Macbook Pro so its not my laptop, its the general program and timecode I'm having issues with

I want to use it when I'm gigging but its proving to be so unstable at the moment I just don't use it anymore:(

hoff
03-11-2012, 05:21 PM
I have a 10 month old Macbook Pro so its not my laptop, its the general program and timecode I'm having issues with

I want to use it when I'm gigging but its proving to be so unstable at the moment I just don't use it anymore:(

As others have said, traktor is stable. Just because you have a MBP doesn't mean it's going to run optimally. Try reinstalling the software.. Look into possible application conflicts ect ect. Just giving up and going to serato isn't going to solve your problems, it's just a quick and lazy "solution".

alazydj
03-11-2012, 05:21 PM
CDJ 900s would eliminate a DVS. This is a good road to go down.

kickassDJ25
03-11-2012, 05:25 PM
CDJ 900s would eliminate a DVS. This is a good road to go down.

was thinking this myself dude

So its just a matter of selling my cdjs and TSP. Thing is CDJs are going for pennies here in Ireland so I wouldnt get a decent price:(

kickassDJ25
03-11-2012, 05:28 PM
As others have said, traktor is stable. Just because you have a MBP doesn't mean it's going to run optimally. Try reinstalling the software.. Look into possible application conflicts ect ect. Just giving up and going to serato isn't going to solve your problems, it's just a quick and lazy "solution".

I've tried the reinstall route before dude and numerous of other routes, I wish it was a case of being lazy. I've burned new WAV files, messed around with the preferances, tried it all but still getting poor performance.

At one point I had Deck B skipping while Deck A was playing the song but the BPM was going up and down like a yoyo

antFastic
03-11-2012, 05:44 PM
TSP2 should be totally stable on a Macbook Pro, I don't think switching to Serato will necessarily solve your problem as there could be a number of reasons why you are getting skipping and bpm problems etc. I would say it is more likely to be a set up / configuration problem either with the computer, the styli or the connections and not a fault of the software.

Not trying to dissuade you from buying / trying Serato, it's what I use and I love it. Just saying that it might not resolve your problems because TSP2 should run perfectly on a MBP.

KLH
03-11-2012, 05:49 PM
I have a 10 month old Macbook Pro so its not my laptop, its the general program and timecode I'm having issues with.
Well lookie-lookie, a MacOS user has problems? Before anyone says anything, I'm kidding. ANY computer can have issues. Let's see if we can solve the OP's problem.

Very few people have had problems with either TSP or SSL. Assuming that your interface is installed correctly, the only other issues are to have the DVS correctly configured and i/o plugged in correctly. Once those are done, it should be smooth sailing!

While you mentioned that you're probably going to get SSL, why not buy it to see if it works well for you and then sell TSP? In the meantime, hopefully we can help. What is TSP specifically doing/not doing?

-KLH

kickassDJ25
03-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Well lookie-lookie, a MacOS user has problems? Before anyone says anything, I'm kidding. ANY computer can have issues. Let's see if we can solve the OP's problem.

Very few people have had problems with either TSP or SSL. Assuming that your interface is installed correctly, the only other issues are to have the DVS correctly configured and i/o plugged in correctly. Once those are done, it should be smooth sailing!

While you mentioned that you're probably going to get SSL, why not buy it to see if it works well for you and then sell TSP? In the meantime, hopefully we can help. What is TSP specifically doing/not doing?

-KLH

your very kind to help out dude, I'm gonna do a video now on put it on you tube and send u guys a link to show u the problems cause there better shown rather than me type out a list

B3NNY
03-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Traktor timecoded cd's are garbage from what I heard. A lot of people have issues w/ them. I'm not sure if there is a fix cause I dn't use em

kickassDJ25
03-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Traktor timecoded cd's are garbage from what I heard. A lot of people have issues w/ them. I'm not sure if there is a fix cause I dn't use em

Well I kinda have to agree with u on this!

DJNR
03-11-2012, 06:37 PM

I have used them countless times and I have had no issues. I'm not even using the new ones, I'm using the ones from Traktor Scratch..

B3NNY
03-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Thats good and I'm sure most people's experiences w/ them are prob like yours. I know that he wouldn't be the first person that has had issues w/ the timecoded cd's though.

Blueprint
03-11-2012, 07:06 PM
i use traktor scratch duo 2 with cdj1000mk3s and have zero problems and im using a 2011 macbook pro

kickassDJ25
03-11-2012, 07:14 PM
i use traktor scratch duo 2 with cdj1000mk3s and have zero problems and im using a 2011 macbook pro

any chance u could post a screenshot of your preferences for me mate?

DJAkash
03-12-2012, 01:47 AM
Warning the following are my personal experiences and opinions I am not a hater of any user or the product they use.
My simple understanding of this debate,
Computer performance wise: Traktor loses because it requires more resources from the computer
Effects wise: Serato has plenty effects, but from my understanding Traktor has a better variety to some peoples preference
Layout: each has it's on appeal, I like serato a little more
my evaluation of the two: Serato wins in my book because Having a crash or lag in the middle of an event is way worse than having a few more effects I would never use.

mostapha
03-12-2012, 02:32 AM
I've owned and gigged with SSL, FS2, and Traktor Pro (1 & 2).

SSL is a lot more straightforward and I prefer it's GUI. Traktor is undeniably more powerful. You pay for that power in basically NEEDING some kind of MIDI control and having to map it or use the stock mappings for a few pieces of gear. The thing is that I can't really figure out how I'd use all that extra power, even having done it. I basically didn't use effects (though I really like traktor's delay). And as much as I liked the idea, I don't miss sample decks now that I don't have them.

The biggest issue is that it's harder to integrate Maschine with SSL, though using vinyl control without perfect beat grids would negate that advantage, and it's solvable by just using a hardware groove box that has more usable tempo control and beat matching it manually...like the Octatrack. And it's only downside is that it costs about twice as much as Maschine and obviously has a less computer-centric workflow.

If you're just using raw DVS functionality, I think the biggest difference is that they look completely different...and you can probably decide that based on screen shots.

FWIW, I'm back to SSL after a few years on other systems and loving it.

So, I guess my point is that…if you can't get Traktor to work, you might have better luck with SSL……but I'm not sure I'd count on it.

Lost Connection
03-12-2012, 05:17 AM

I have used the old ones for almost a year now, not a single probelm. Next ones are going to be the mk2 records, see what will happen with those, but I'd trust them handle atleast the same.

And I chose Traktor over Serato because I just prefer Traktor, enough said. As said before, it's a matter of opinion/what you prefer, like Mac vs PC.

kickassDJ25
03-12-2012, 06:35 AM
another problem I had this morning, trying to record a mix, now I thought it was just myself and I have the wires in the wrong way but I think there fine! RCA cable going from Channel C on my audio 8 to REC out on my djm 800 then in preferences I have selected under the section "mix recorder" source is external and external input in as channel C

what else could I be doing wrong?!

hoff
03-12-2012, 09:39 AM
another problem I had this morning, trying to record a mix, now I thought it was just myself and I have the wires in the wrong way but I think there fine! RCA cable going from Channel C on my audio 8 to REC out on my djm 800 then in preferences I have selected under the section "mix recorder" source is external and external input in as channel C

what else could I be doing wrong?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HkJbGzBbMk

watch this ^ make sure you're routing the RCA to your 'in' channel C on the soundcard.

Blueprint
03-12-2012, 11:31 AM
any chance u could post a screenshot of your preferences for me mate?

which section do you want a screen shot of.

kickassDJ25
03-12-2012, 06:44 PM
which section do you want a screen shot of.

input routing and/or audio setup