PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion on songs to start with please.

viicloud10
03-10-2012, 02:32 PM
I have been doing tons and tons of reading and have been listening to as much music as possible, but I have always learned better by example. Can anyone suggest 3 or 4 songs that should mix in and out well with each other? Not looking for so much of a mashup style mixing but more of an in and out. I have a controller and been getting used to all the physical controls pretty well recently. Also if anyone has any recommendations on good sources of dj mixes to listen to. Where to find them and a good source of current ones coming out, so I can try and mimic some of their track selection mixes for practice.

And as of right now the more mainstream the music the better, just for simplicity reasons. House seems to be my main area of focus right now, also for simplicity. I've read it's one of the easier genres to start trying to learn to mix.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew B
03-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Check out the Mix Submissions (http://www.djforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?18-Mix-Submissions) subforum.

Smallz
03-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Check out the Mix Submissions (http://www.djforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?18-Mix-Submissions) subforum.

yeah, that's a pretty good start. Since House has such a wide variety and there are different styles of starting a mix, listening to several of those can give you a general idea of what you want to do to begin your mix.

DJ Weatherman
03-10-2012, 05:37 PM
ill mix it for you too if you want.

KLH
03-10-2012, 07:12 PM
While Andrew B.'s advice is spot on, I'll give another perspective. Buy 6 club versions of your favorite songs. Get to mixing.

Buy some more. Rinse and repeat.

-KLH

DjAaron
03-10-2012, 11:36 PM
While Andrew B.'s advice is spot on, I'll give another perspective. Buy 6 club versions of your favorite songs. Get to mixing.

Buy some more. Rinse and repeat.

-KLH

Very true. I did this to see what I could come up with when starting out. Just keep at a few songs and try different ways of bringing in the next song

Wurli
03-10-2012, 11:53 PM
I can't really help you with finding mixes, but I started practicing with Deadmau5 and it definitely helped me out a lot. Even though I'm no fan, his songs have plenty length, simple percussion (with virtually no variations), and pretty much all follow the same exact structure.