PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting DJF Trance Tourney 2013: Vernski -vs- M!TCH -vs- Sedna

Rek_Aviles
12-16-2013, 09:43 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/vf8eph.png
DJF TRANCE TOURNAMENT - FINAL ROUND - 3 WAY BATTLE

MIX 1 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8213521/DJF Trance Tournament 2013 Vernski-vs-M!TCH-vs-Sedna_1.mp3)

MIX 2 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8213521/DJF Trance Tournament 2013 Vernski-vs-M!TCH-vs-Sedna_2.mp3)

MIX 3 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8213521/DJF Trance Tournament 2013 Vernski-vs-M!TCH-vs-Sedna_3.mp3)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________

RULES:
Last track mix in time(s):

maximum 45 minutes

no required track.

Voting
The battles will be posted as Username versus Username. Anyone still active in the championships will be REQUIRED to vote in ALL battles. Don’t expect any sympathy on this one, if I listen to your battle and vote you listen to my battle and vote = respect. Failing to do so will result in automatic disqualification. Eliminated contestants should show good sportsmanship and continue to listen to battles and vote. If there is a tiebreaker, I (DJForums Admin) will then vote.

MORE DETAILS CAN BE FOUND HERE:
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?31090-DJF-2013-Trance-Tournament-Thread-Rules-amp-Entry&p=299683&viewfull=1#post299683

**This poll will display users who voted, and what choice they've made.**

Delta V
12-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Nice! Gonna listen the next few days while I grade finals.

Vernski
12-17-2013, 07:31 AM
:music:I'm listening to one of the mixes that isn't mine:music:......pretty good shit :eek::tup:

kyle133
12-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Alright... WOW

Great stuff. Here's how it breaks down for me.

Mix 1:

Did not really hear a trance mix until halfway through. Mostly big room progressive house with a kind of trance feel. Past 25 mins and when the tracks started getting more aggressive, I really started liking it. This mix was balls to the wall pretty close to the end. I was wondering how the hell is he going to end this mix. I loved the ending. It was almost like a heart beat just fading out.

Side note. I couldn't help but notice I did not hear any beat separating. Kind of got the sync vibe from this mix. It was squeaky clean it terms of beat matching.

Mix 2:

WOW just WOW. The opening track was insane. If I was walking through the woods on my way to a rave and heard that track in the distance, I would pee my pants from how intense it is. This mix just screams experienced trance DJ. I think I know who's mix it is. A couple cool breaks thrown in and that massive guitar track near the end. Great stuff!!

Mix 3

Uplifting and beautiful. Excellent track selection, excellent mixing. This is my type of trance. I want the tracklist after this is done!!! I listened to it twice I enjoyed it so much :)

My vote is for mix 3. Mix 2 was amazing, but it was the heavy metal trance mix of this battle and was too much for me lmao!!

Great job guys!

Sedna
12-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Glad to see this baby posted! By the way, Rek, you wrote "MIX 2" twice.

DJ Difficult
12-18-2013, 04:51 AM
Listened and here are my thoughts:

#1: I have to disagree with Kyle here. IMO it was trance from start to finish. I don't know specific subgenre for that first part of the mix but it was like very uplifting and kept me waiting something more bouncing. First transition was very nice and clean long blend. Second track fitted well but there was a slightly energy drop after 2nd transition. I also kind of waited higher energy stuff. And the second part was definetly that! Nice psy feeling trance and it was clear that maker of this mix was at his comfort zone. And I liked too. Only grape is that long intro section. Nice one!

#2 This was modern trance music at it's best! Well, almost. Some genre cop can now shoot me if I don't recognize trances subgenres with my small experience of it but those progressive trance songs at nearly end of this mix wasn't my cup of tea. But on the other hand, shows how skilled and versatile the dj behind this is and somebody else thinks otherwise.
Super clean mix and it jumps straight into the business, no slow intros here. Nice one!

3# Best track selection from these 3 and very nice mixing too. But there was a few a little bit rough transitions and maybe a little key clashes too. Didn't ruin this mix but at this stage of this tournament, I have to be picky.
Very nice mix too!

Hard decision endeed but I think that I make a right decision when I give my vote to #2.

M!TCH
12-18-2013, 07:47 AM
Thanks for voting! Just a heads up to people, I've listened to a couple of these at different times and just had two of the mixes come across w/shit audio quality where they were clean before. If you have the same problem, I recommend trying to download or checking it again later.

deathsupport
12-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Mix 1:
Really cool intro track. I love a good intro track, and this was hella good. Overall it was a pretty chill beginning, and it starts getting more upbeat past the 20th minute - good progression. I listened multiple times and I swear the volume takes a hit right after the drop at the 27th minute. Following that is, IMO, a good "strong" transition at the 29th minute. Everything before that was very subtle and flowy, which is good and technical but it was nice to hear something more in-your-face. There was a lull with the next few tracks, like... lower-BPM psy or something. There was still a clear progression in the mix but I felt like I was back near the beginning when things were more chill. Perhaps this was intended, but I wanted to be chair-raving by now. The energy comes back near the end, 40th-ish minute. Nice, bumping beat and good transition into the last track (which I unfortunately didn't like too much). But then it has a killer outro and I'm happy again.

Mix 2:
And we jump right into it... OK I GUESS. No, I really love my intro tracks (as I mentioned above) so I cannot forgive this! Especially on a longer-than-30mins-mix. Anyways, I really like the first track on its own. I noticed that the transition during the 13th minute was kind of murky... Awesome 20-23 min! Both those two songs and the move from one to the other. The transition at the 24th minute was a bold move but flopped a bit IMO. Next transition was :eek: made me jump out of my seat and get a tissue to clean blood from my ears - it was loud! Definitely louder than earlier parts of the mix.
Now we're at the 31st minute, another bold transition that paid off! Really cool the way you threw in that remix of Big Sky, and a nice track. But that Prodigy remix was a bit too much for me. More than just personal preference though, it really changed the flow of the mix. I respect variety but this may have been taking it a bit too far. Clever transition out and we're back to where we were before the 'intermission'. Then it plays out nicely.

Mix 3:
Holy beginning-of-a-set Batman! What a good way to get the listener introduced with the music. Although I liked the individual into tracks more in mix 1, this intro takes the cake. Massive points. And that song at the 12th minute... I want it. It was a little upsetting to get hit with the muddy transition during the 17th minute... things were so spectacular til then. Things progress nicely and smoothly after that point. Maybe not all mixes were on point (some key clashes) but I was grooving to this. Song at the 40th minute is really nice and the one that follows is good as well. Not sure if I would have liked to have heard them in reverse order though for the sake of flow. It does feel like the last track drags on a little too long. Indeed, this mix is the longest at just over 50mins.

Well damn, this is tough.
Mix 2: good job. Appreciate the variety of styles and some of the ballsy transitions you had. But the almost hardstyle tracks killed the flow by being just past the midpoint and with the classic trance songs that followed.
Mix 1 and 3: mix 3 had the better intro, mix 1 had better outro. Both sets had mixing that was on-point but with occasional key clashes but mix 1 was just a bit better in this department. After relistening to both, I'm giving the point to mix 1. Outstanding job to both DJs.

Vernski
12-18-2013, 06:12 PM
OMFG!!!!

Three votes, one vote each.....

Soooooooo exciting!!!!!

deathsupport
12-18-2013, 08:10 PM
OMFG!!!!

Three votes, one vote each.....

Soooooooo exciting!!!!!

:diaf::banana::eek3dance::zany:
dis gun be goood :popcorn:

Rek_Aviles
12-18-2013, 11:55 PM
Glad to see this baby posted! By the way, Rek, you wrote "MIX 2" twice.

Thank you. Fixed .

Rek_Aviles
12-18-2013, 11:57 PM
Thanks for voting! Just a heads up to people, I've listened to a couple of these at different times and just had two of the mixes come across w/shit audio quality where they were clean before. If you have the same problem, I recommend trying to download or checking it again later.

let me know.. sounds ok on my end, but I can re-up without disrupting the battle. That seemed to resolve the quality issue the last time this happened.

Vernski
12-19-2013, 12:03 AM
:diaf::banana::eek3dance::zany:
dis gun be goood :popcorn:

^^^DIS^^^

:music:I had a really good listen to the other mix that wasn't mine or someone else's - some awesome shit there too.....:music:

JackStalk
12-19-2013, 12:54 AM
I feel like I shouldnt even vote because my opinion carries a lot of weight :P

Vernski
12-19-2013, 01:55 AM
I feel like I shouldnt even vote because my opinion carries a lot of weight :P

Haha, you're not wrong there....There's a lot of responsibility riding on your vote - DJF Glory or defeat......the pressure:eek::P

Delta V
12-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Mix 1: Nice chilled intro tunes to start with, mixing was perfect. I thought my phone was beatmixing by itself into Mix 2 cause I as kinda unprepared for the psy-trance. I like it but didn't see it coming. Nice ending part.

Mix 2: Seems like it picks up right where Mix 1 left off, little harder, little darker, little faster. Love the first track, like something Paul Oakenfold would've played in 04ish. Into a very uplifting breakdown on the second tune, and then into that tech-trance thing. Sounds like a lot of cuts in the mixing. Interesting remix of Big Sky. And woahhhh prodigy coming in. Nice mix into the last song.

Mix 3: Much slower here. Very atmospheric mix, I wasn't really feeling the tracks as much I like a little more meat or funk maybe, they just left me cold. More aggressive at the end. The mixing was good but didn't feel as tight as mix 1, can't really compare them to mix 2 as it sounded like cuts and everything was pretty loud I couldn't tell what was happening.

Going with mix 1. The mixing was fantastic, and the progression into psy-trance was a nice surprise.

ChrisHynds
12-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Hey doodes, I've been really busy these last few weeks, hectic time of year with gigs and I've got family over from the UK ATM, I'm not going to get any free time until the new year, what date does the voting end? Im gonna def get my vote in but it's gonna be a real push for time

M!TCH
12-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Voting ends one 12/30

tekno_violet
12-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Mine will be in a few days.
Hey Chris, maybe just listen and vote on the one you like best and do a review at a later date.

Sedna
12-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Mine will be in a few days.
Hey Chris, maybe just listen and vote on the one you like best and do a review at a later date.

+1, by now we can all trust that Chris will have listened in full.

ChrisHynds
12-24-2013, 12:53 AM
Thanks lads, I'll be voting in the first week of the new year, I'll have some free time by then, looking forward to these sets, good luck to you all :tup:

JackStalk
12-24-2013, 01:47 PM
I listened to all three on this boring Christmas Eve that I'm stuck working. All three mixes were fairly well done, but one was a cut above the rest and deserves to be the Champion of the tournament. This mix has near flawless set progression, and even though I don't really like the subgenres or any of the tracks, it was expertly done and it's the first time I ever listened to a mix twice in a battle. I really had to be sure it was as perfect as I thought and I was correct, I think it's definitely a professional-level mix and the owner has some real talent and much potential in the industry. I put my personal music taste aside (if it were taste alone I'd pick mix 2) but I vote mix one as the winner of the tournament.

M!TCH
12-31-2013, 01:11 AM
Come on fellow DJF'ers, need more than five votes in a trance tourney...I promise these are some quality mixes.

ChrisHynds
01-02-2014, 06:35 AM
Im gonna listen to mix 1 tonight, Ill update with feedback later :)

ChrisHynds
01-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Mix 1 - awesome, don't know what else to say really, proper journey through lots of sub genres and it flowed so well, I'm
Pretty sure I've mixed that Basil OGlue track I think it was Sigil but I can't remember now with A&E - One Word in that exact order before lol anyways nice melodic opening to the set and progressed into a cool Coldharbour big room feel and that Psy trance finish just sold me, really nice set gonna be hard to beat :tup:

Mix 2 - really nice intro track, coming in strong with the set :tup: Nick Callaghan & Second Sine- Make Me Human great choon, a few really dubious mixes, in this set, you had a few breakdown to breakdown moments that didnt really work, the mix @ 27 minutes was very noticeable and the remix of Big Sky came in really abrupt and harsh, really not diggin the remix either (ouch he brought Dubstep to a Trance fight) :uhoh: but Im not gonna take that against the overall vote, wow this remix is horrible, lol sorry man dont take it personally, Lisa Lashes & Orla Feeney - Mind Control(JD Remix) to finish the set out, nice choon, Ive used this one loads myself. In all I really dug the whole 138+ sound, thats my jam after all, but you took a lot of risks with the mixing and tbh I didnt think they worked, it just made a lot of transitions stand out and not in a good way, props for going for something new it takes balls, but I just dont think it worked out this time.

Mix 3 - and I thought mix 2 had balls for trying out something new, if this was a big balls contest you would be this guy http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh593/chrishynds_dj/Wesley-Warren--The-man-with-10-stone-testicles-1980436_zps61c379fc.jpg,

sounds like you're starting out around 124 with some really nice deep house, the mix around 19 minutes was a pretty noticeable clash, the track coming in sounds like Gai Barone? its a sublime track but the mix in could have been better, this has to be Gai Barone, if its not I need an ID this is so good. oh this guy, dropping some Airwave :tup: this setlist is right down my street, quality choons, starting to get into some proper Trance at the end of the set here. I dunno but to me it feels like this set was only getting started and it ended, as if its a warm up set or part of a bigger mix. You're tracks were awesome and the progression was great, it just felt like it never really peaked.

Im gonna have to re-listen to sets 1 & 3 before I make a decision.

ChrisHynds
01-04-2014, 09:29 AM
this comment was too awesome and had to be edited

ksound
01-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Listened on my phone so I might have missed some subtle ambience

#1- best overall mixes and flow, but I thought the track selection was uninspired, on track 3 I perked up a bit, but then it got into a bunch of stuff I didn't care for

#2- more my thing, hard trance with a bit of acid, liked this one from the start, the mixes were a bit rougher than the first, but I like that, I find too clean mixes suspect, like to hear the dj actually mix, should have ended on the prodigy song, last track felt tacked on

#3- best overall tracks, especially in the beginning, but the start was tech house not trance and the songs were a bit too simple at the start, couldn't help feel like you needed to do more to make it a bit interesting, the transition from tech house into trance was a bit rough and I didn't like how it got more progressive towards the end

Vernski
01-04-2014, 06:21 PM
this comment was too awesome and had to be edited

Ha ha. The Annual DJF Anonymous Big Balls Trance Tournament. :lol:

That's quite a noble cause Mr Hynds......Being a DJF Ball/Gonad Quantity Surveyor is quite a serious undertaking, Going by your photo reference, I'm just glad it's you and not me :P

ChrisHynds
01-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Ok so I had a second listen and I'm gonna have to go mix 1 here, there were no flaws in the set that I can hear, the clash @ 19minutes in mix 3 was just enough to separate these 2 mixes, I really wish I didn't have to choose between the two, Mix 3 had better tracks imo and a solid progression, but mix 1 had no flaws, a good progression through sub genre's and built to a solid finish, it was really hard to call this year great work to all of you guys well done!!!

I Vote Mix 1

tekno_violet
01-05-2014, 11:41 AM
Keeping in short friends.

My mentality coming into the finals to vote was I want to hear a serious battle. Not looking into sissy fading and and beautiful beatmatching.
Of course shit has to be tight and clean but thats really not that hard to do. We all had the opportunities to show everyone what our personal tastes are and what we like mixing and how we like to mix.
Im looking for a dj to do his job as a dj and please the end user but also take it to their
opponents in a fast tempo war.

The Mix that showed up to fight was mix 2.

Good stuff guys.

Happy New Year guys- Hope you guys get rich and bang lots of hoes.

M!TCH
01-06-2014, 07:57 AM
Nice work lads! I was mix two. I was trying some new stuff out in my mix. I ended up rerecording some of this and putting into the derivative of sound #7 and I think it sounds loads better. Even though I can always work on EQing, beat matching and phrasing and blending got a bit boring so I tried to spice it up. I know the prodigy remix wasn't well met, but I thought it added a bit more punch to my mix and brought a different type of energy.

Thanks to everyone who voted. I know you're all busy so I really appreciate it.

Sedna
01-06-2014, 11:14 AM
Congrats to Vern. Great job. It's been a pleasure competing with you in this tournament.

I figured the key clash mixing into Gai Barone's "Hydra" would be a big negative with my mix. Mixing out of Henry Saiz's "Uncharted" can be a difficult task because of the energy it ends with, and I really wasn't happy with any of the mixes I came up with at all. I just ran out of time.

Cheers guys. Great mixes from both of you =)

JackStalk
01-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Wow, congrats to Vernski! He definitely earned that one. Sync button ftw!

tekno_violet
01-06-2014, 03:35 PM
Good stuff big Vern!

'The underdog takes it the vets'.

Vernski
01-06-2014, 04:41 PM
Just a quick few things while on my break at work.....

All of this is really unexpected, I remember I agreed to make up the numbers and I had no expectations on how I would go. I'm pretty sure this tourney has gone for 3 months roughly and I've gotten to know many of you during that time, I feel as though some really good friendships are being formed through the music we all really enjoy.

Gotta go, will edit and update later :)

kyle133
01-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Big ups Vernski!! Congrats buddy!!!

deathsupport
01-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Props to Vernski! How far you've come in such a short time, eh?

Sedna
01-06-2014, 07:04 PM
YO DAWGS, YOU HEAR THAT SEDNA TRACK IN MIX ONE?

That track is proooooooobably why you won the tournament. You're welcome, you can buy me a beer later.

M!TCH
01-06-2014, 07:18 PM
Nice work Vernski!

Vernski
01-06-2014, 10:54 PM
Ok guys I'm back.......

Congrats to Vern. Great job. It's been a pleasure competing with you in this tournament.

Likewise Sedna and congrats for getting to the final and battling it out with Me & M!tch.

I figured the key clash mixing into Gai Barone's "Hydra" would be a big negative with my mix. Mixing out of Henry Saiz's "Uncharted" can be a difficult task because of the energy it ends with, and I really wasn't happy with any of the mixes I came up with at all. I just ran out of time.

Cheers guys. Great mixes from both of you =)
That mix of yours is loaded with some gems in there, there's a few tracks that have changed my life ;) Uncharted, Mercury and Unexpected Item in the Packing Area - I Shazzamed them while I was :fap: couldn't wait for a track list :lol:

Wow, congrats to Vernski! He definitely earned that one. Sync button ftw!

Ok, I'll admit to some sync mashing in my battle against DeltaV :ninja:, but when my Wego broke down I had to break out my Reloop before Christmas. The pitch slider is so sweet on the reloop that I didn't need or use sync at all in this battle.:

Props to Vernski! How far you've come in such a short time, eh?

Can't believe it myself, as far as this tournament goes I had a heap of luck that helped me along. I was pretty nervous about facing Iggy and this mix was meant for him..... but yeah, I have practiced non stop since december 2012 (Christmas) when I got my Wego. I know I flogged that thing because 4 months in, it was already starting to play up. Not to sound cheesy, but I loved all that practice and shitty first mixes I made, it never really was a chore or painful.

YO DAWGS, YOU HEAR THAT SEDNA TRACK IN MIX ONE?

That track is proooooooobably why you won the tournament. You're welcome, you can buy me a beer later.

Haha.....I PM''d Sedna during voting because I couldn't wait any longer to find out whether he'd heard it or not. :lol: I explained to Sedna that I needed a trump card for my battle against Iggy and I was going for a vote grab....Cheeky :ninja: but in the end I wasn't any use, except making that mix awesome :tup: I'm not sure if it was intentional, but for me Gluon is an excellent go between track from regular trancy stuff to psy trance - I really loved that blend with Ultimate Trip. :love:

When I checked out M!tch's mix, it was like KAPOW!!!! I was really hit with, oh fuck how can I compete with that mix - serious intimidation factor there. I liked quite a lot of M!tch's experimental methods, tracks and risk taking - Much respect

Lastly and for me most importantly, after going through this tournament with you guys, I caught a glimpse of what you all do but in clubs and bars and music festivals. I have a huge respect for all of you that go out there and face your audiences personally and provide an awesome night. It's quite a challenge for me to put a mix together and get to sound spot on (to the best of my abilities), so it really makes me think how good you guys are to do it all live and deliver those performances.

Lastly,lastly.....

Thanks to everyone who went the distance by listening and voting well after you were eliminated - you all know who you are and I know that M!tch and Sedna appreciate it. A really big thanks to Jack for running this Tournament, it's not easy dealing with us artistic divas for 3 months :P Well done. More big thanks to Rek for overseeing and maintaining this tourney as our Mod.

Oh I was Mix 1 :lol:

Cheers Guys

ChrisHynds
01-06-2014, 11:27 PM
Ok, I'll admit to some sync mashing

:uhoh: :facepalm:

Congrats for winning man, you had some nice sets in there, and its great to see a new member bringing some talent to the table. I dont want to take anything away from your win, but I always thought it was a rule that we never used sync in the tourneys?

Vernski
01-07-2014, 12:12 AM

Congrats for winning man, you had some nice sets in there, and its great to see a new member bringing some talent to the table. I dont want to take anything away from your win, but I always thought it was a rule that we never used sync in the tourneys?

Since upgrading my gear and witnessing many heated discussions about the SYNC button, I am now reformed and see the error in my ways :facepalm: :)

JackStalk
01-07-2014, 10:37 AM

I mean, technically it is not in the rules that I posted, so I didn't say anything. I totally suspected sync the whole time though, but it wasnt expressly forbidden in the ruleset.

ChrisHynds
01-07-2014, 11:01 AM
I mean, technically it is not in the rules that I posted, so I didn't say anything. I totally suspected sync the whole time though, but it wasnt expressly forbidden in the ruleset.

Yea I think its always been one of those unwritten things that we just assumed no one would do it, like I said Im not trying to take anything away form Verns win,

Vernski
01-07-2014, 11:08 AM

I appreciate that it wasn't stipulated in the rules but I just want to clear it up.....There wasn't any sync in the three way final. All BPM's there were manually adjusted 100%Like I said earlier, the new gear I got for Christmas makes it so much easier to zero in perfectly while using 6% ratio on the slider.

I chatted with Mr Hynds about it and I explained to him that I used sync while I was teaching myself in the early stages and by the time I arrived on DJF it was part of mixing execution. I quickly discovered on there that none of the guys agree with or use sync and I agree with them 100% During my time on DJF I've been really backing off on using sync to the point that it's not being used at all.

I explained how I was using sync in another thread, funnily enough someone gave me positive rep in that thread for being honest about it all - but I will clear it up here......

WEGO
Track A is playing at 128 bpm
Track B is cued 126 bpm

adjust pitch on track B as close as I could get it e.g 127.97
hit sync and both tracks have identical bpm's of 128

Start playing track B - beatmatch - pitchbend/adjust- fade in - eq work and fade out track A

Just a quick post before I go to work......3 am starts :argh:

Sedna
01-07-2014, 01:10 PM
I trust my sync button about as far as I can throw it. Wait... I could probably throw it pretty far.

Yeah fuck sync.

DJ Difficult
01-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Congratulations Vernski!
There's no button for track selection, EQing or phrasematching so you really nailed those things out on this one but IMO if somebody uses visual helps (waveforms, phasemeter, beatgrids,accurate BPM readouts) it's same thing than using sync.

Vernski
01-07-2014, 03:50 PM
I trust my sync button about as far as I can throw it. Wait... I could probably throw it pretty far.

Yeah fuck sync.

:lol:

tekno_violet
01-07-2014, 03:54 PM
Can't spread anymore rep. around.

Good game guys.

JackStalk
01-07-2014, 03:57 PM
Congratulations Vernski!
There's no button for track selection, EQing or phrasematching so you really nailed those things out on this one but IMO if somebody uses visual helps (waveforms, phasemeter, beatgrids,accurate BPM readouts) it's same thing than using sync.

No, it's really not the same as sync. High end CDJs have accurate BPM readouts and the Nexus line has waveforms. It isnt the same as using sync...Sync just automatically pits two tracks together without you having to do anything. Vern's mix was still solid on track selection and EQing so I felt he deserved my vote in the final.

Trance is about a journey, you can't just play the same vibe/bpm/mood for an extended period as a "DJ". I went to a Solarstone show and he just played the same 136bpm "pure" trance sound and it was a fairly boring two hours. Then Giuseppe Ottaviani came in, sampled some classics, and blew the doors off of the place.

Vernski
01-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Umm should we start a thread for this, it seems as though this tourney thread will spiral into another debate on tech v's skills?

JackStalk
01-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Tourney threads dies usually a week after voting ends, so it's all good. I'm having a wonderful time!

DJ Difficult
01-07-2014, 10:11 PM
No, it's really not the same as sync. High end CDJs have accurate BPM readouts and the Nexus line has waveforms. It isnt the same as using sync...
Biggest issue with beatmatching is getting two tracks on the same speed, not getting them to play at the same time. So when you have a 0,1 accurate readout, you get massive help from it.
But nothing away from V's win, like you wrote it, there is much more in DJing, expecially in DJing trance, that victory went to the right adress. Would rep you but i'm all out of rep :mad:

edit. Tryed to rep Jack for setting this tournee up but.. Would somebody explain to mee how much i have to spread rep before i can give it again?

deathsupport
01-08-2014, 12:47 AM
Biggest issue with beatmatching is getting two tracks on the same speed, not getting them to play at the same time.
The Play and Cue buttons on my RMX are so terribly inconsistent. I tried to practice in order to get it spot on by playing one track on Deck A and having another (same BPM) stopped on Deck B. Every few bars I'd Cue it as best as I could and observe the phase meter to see how close I was. Around 1/3 of my attempts were on the money or really close (audibly indistinguishable).

JackStalk
01-08-2014, 02:09 AM
Biggest issue with beatmatching is getting two tracks on the same speed, not getting them to play at the same time. So when you have a 0,1 accurate readout, you get massive help from it.
But nothing away from V's win, like you wrote it, there is much more in DJing, expecially in DJing trance, that victory went to the right adress. Would rep you but i'm all out of rep :mad:

edit. Tryed to rep Jack for setting this tournee up but.. Would somebody explain to mee how much i have to spread rep before i can give it again?

CDJ 1000/2000s are considered professional level standard equipment for DJing. They both have very accurate digital pitch faders as well as a BPM readout. If matching BPM readouts is cheating then, everyone cheats.

Vernski
01-08-2014, 02:20 AM
You guys might have a laugh at this or you'll think I'm retarded or both, but here goes.....

Not that this wouldn't happen in real life, but if DJ Forum wanted to find out who was the most awesome DJ on here, it would have to be like a pentathlon format with the following disciplines...

Recorded DJ Set ( We do this now)
Groupie Gropes
Live DJ Set - On the fly
Marathon Drug and Alcohol Consumption
Combined Disciplines - Live DJ Set whilst attaining the most groupie gropes and being drug and alcohol affected.

So here's what I think the overall standings would be in such an event....

OVERALL WINNER: Sedna ( I love Weed Comments etc.)

RUNNER UP: JackStalk (Captain Jack Sparrow)

3rd. M!TCH - (This is based on the tale of an almost late submission because of getting some tail) lol...tale and tail :lol:

4th. Era 7 (Dudes in Germany must know how to party hard right?)

5th. deathsupport (Canadians can't be too far behind Germany?)

6th. Delta V

7th. DJ Difficult (Another European Party animal here possibly)

8th. Tekno_Violet (New Zealanders are a different breed, similar to Aussies but "different" :lol:)

10. Budzak

11. ChrisHynds (Doesn't drink much and loves his fitness....)

12. Vernski (I'm too soft, never done drugs, father of 4 kids, never played live and I'm shy oh and the wife!!!!.....:uhoh:)

RETIRED: Ignotus.
ABSENT: Achmiel
ABSENT: DJ-Veaux
ABSENT: Complex.ity
ABSENT: kyle133
ABSENT: mr_ragz

Any offence I may have caused anyone by assuming they are party animals or the like, I apologise. I also apologise if anyone feels that they should be higher up on the standings... :P

Vernski
01-08-2014, 02:31 AM
CDJ 1000/2000s are considered professional level standard equipment for DJing. They both have very accurate digital pitch faders as well as a BPM readout. If matching BPM readouts is cheating then, everyone cheats.

Here's my thing on this, I don't see why anyone should have to make something harder than it needs to be. Tools that remove some unnecessary difficulty just allows us to focus our energies on bettering the mix in some way....

Has anyone checked out the Ultimate DJ Forum Championship standings.....?? :P

DJ Difficult
01-08-2014, 03:17 AM
I don't think it's cheating, it's just a way to use provided tools. I use them. You can get in about 2bpm range in seconds and after that it's manually matching (if bpm readout accuracy is even numbers). My point is that i think it's almost like using sync. Not the same but almost. Like i wroted, biggest challenge in beatmatching is to get two tracks in same speed.

To Vernski: i did go to a lot of underground parties back in the late 90's. Was there drugs? Mmm...maybe... But not anymore. In fact, as a man with family and two jobs, there's no way in hell that i would do it nowadays. My last ordinary hangover kept me in bed for 2 days :lol:. But i do know what it is and i have much warm memories from that time. But that was when i was a teenager.
Private techno parties at abandoned factory in the 90's. Ou man, nice memories ended :lol:

JackStalk
01-08-2014, 03:26 AM
I've never done drugs. Never have and don't plan on it. I drink probably 5 nights a week because hey, it's free. I could definitely run some groupies though.

Baller95
01-23-2014, 12:54 AM
Never liked/got into trance but ever since hearing the song apache today I decided to listen to some trance. It's a bit repetitive but the trance/progressive house tracks are killer! :tup:

JackStalk
01-23-2014, 02:06 AM
Apache is awesome, it's like a bridge gap between 128/130 electro and 130+ trance/electro. Where'd you hear it? :P

Vernski
01-23-2014, 02:21 AM
Apache is awesome, it's like a bridge gap between 128/130 electro and 130+ trance/electro. Where'd you hear it? :P

Hey Jack,

We have try turn Baller to the dark side....he's hooked on Apache.....We're almost there :ninja:

I wonder if Baller was checking out one of my mixes from last year, I had a couple of plays on it today and it has Apache in it......

Baller95
01-23-2014, 07:59 AM

Exactly, that's why I love it! My gym trainer told me to check it out so she played it from her iPod yesterday and as soon as I got home I had to listen to it properly with headphones and I loved it! I'm gonna break out my iTunes gift card today and download it :D

Hey Jack,

We have try turn Baller to the dark side....he's hooked on Apache.....We're almost there :ninja:

I wonder if Baller was checking out one of my mixes from last year, I had a couple of plays on it today and it has Apache in it......

Haha I might just start getting into trance man, it's really some decent stuff! :tup:

maelstrom99
03-06-2014, 11:37 PM
Wow some heavy hitting tracks here

Budzak
05-06-2014, 02:17 AM
You guys might have a laugh at this or you'll think I'm retarded or both, but here goes.....

Not that this wouldn't happen in real life, but if DJ Forum wanted to find out who was the most awesome DJ on here, it would have to be like a pentathlon format with the following disciplines...

Recorded DJ Set ( We do this now)
Groupie Gropes
Live DJ Set - On the fly
Marathon Drug and Alcohol Consumption
Combined Disciplines - Live DJ Set whilst attaining the most groupie gropes and being drug and alcohol affected.

So here's what I think the overall standings would be in such an event....

OVERALL WINNER: Sedna ( I love Weed Comments etc.)

RUNNER UP: JackStalk (Captain Jack Sparrow)

3rd. M!TCH - (This is based on the tale of an almost late submission because of getting some tail) lol...tale and tail :lol:

4th. Era 7 (Dudes in Germany must know how to party hard right?)

5th. deathsupport (Canadians can't be too far behind Germany?)

6th. Delta V

7th. DJ Difficult (Another European Party animal here possibly)

8th. Tekno_Violet (New Zealanders are a different breed, similar to Aussies but "different" :lol:)

10. Budzak

11. ChrisHynds (Doesn't drink much and loves his fitness....)

12. Vernski (I'm too soft, never done drugs, father of 4 kids, never played live and I'm shy oh and the wife!!!!.....:uhoh:)

RETIRED: Ignotus.
ABSENT: Achmiel
ABSENT: DJ-Veaux
ABSENT: Complex.ity
ABSENT: kyle133
ABSENT: mr_ragz

Any offence I may have caused anyone by assuming they are party animals or the like, I apologise. I also apologise if anyone feels that they should be higher up on the standings... :P

Can't believe I missed all of this. TOP TEN BAYBAY!

I hate that I fell absent from this tourney after the first round... I'll be back next time, ready to do some proper damage =P

In a euphoric and uplifting way, of course :lol:

Irrational_Fear
05-14-2014, 05:10 AM
Apologies for posting in an old thread but I somehow missed this first time around :(

I listened to all three mixes yesterday afternoon and if I'd have had the opportunity to vote at the time it would have been a tough one. I have to say though mix-2 edged it for me, just properly grabbed my attention right from the off and never let up- admittedly I've always had a bit of a thing for this high energy trance (verging towards a Tidy/Tidy Trax-esque sound), but I also thought the progression and timing of mix points was superb.

I definitely echo the earlier comment about perhaps having finished the mix at the Prodigy track, but it certainly didn't detract from the mix. Bloody awesome!

That's no disrespect to either of the other two either- both top quality, highly enjoyable mixes. I just can't believe I managed to miss this at the time!

Vernski
05-14-2014, 08:38 AM
No need to apologise dude, you're not wrong about mix 2. When I first checked it out when the polling started, I was like...wow, that's some hard hitting trance.

Hell, you should have been competing in it. Make sure you make yourself available for this years one :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irrational_Fear
05-14-2014, 09:23 AM
Hell, you should have been competing in it. Make sure you make yourself available for this years one :)

Yeah I'll try and make sure I get involved this year, I need to get myself involved in some of these battles- and not just the trance ones! It's funny because I find the idea of them more nerve wracking than any of the live gigs I've played! :lol: