PDA

View Full Version : shure m44-7 pair - one is louder than other

sunspot
03-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Recently acquired a used set of mounted m44-7's and after adjusting them how I wanted it seems one is louder than the other. Switch turntables and the disparity switches. Do I have a bad stylus or a bad cart?

g-sep
03-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Try switching the stylus. If it follows, then it's the stylus. If not, then switch the carts around.

Estacy
03-10-2012, 02:51 PM
you sure they are both plugged in the phono inputs? are you using timecode? if so the problem lies elsewhere. how bad is the volume difference?

DTR
03-10-2012, 03:10 PM
^^^^ He / she said that switching headshells made the problem move, so it can't be the phono inputs.

Does it matter? That's what the gain is for.

Estacy
03-10-2012, 03:14 PM
^^^^ He / she said that switching headshells made the problem move, so it can't be the phono inputs.

missed that, my bad

sunspot
03-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Of course it matters! So I swapped the styli (or is it styluses ha) and now they seem about equal in volume but one sounds "fuller" in quality. Before swapping the styli the difference was about a notch and a half in gain on my ttm 57. Pretty drastic. But even then one sounded fuller anyway. So it may very well be a bad stylus. I'll do a Soundforge recording later and see how bad it is visually.

I am a he btw. lol