PDA

View Full Version : Classify the different parts of a song (Intro, build up etc etc)

Quentin Legend
03-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Hey guys,

I've been reading up on phrase matching and I kinda get it but one thing that I need some clarification on is where the intro, build up etc etc of a song is.

I know this is a total NOOOOOOOOOB question and its probably very simple but I can't find anything on it.

How do you classify the different parts of a song?

Examples would be appreciated :)

nolimitz
03-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Well the intro is self explanatory. Its the very beginning of a song. Depending on the genre of music, it can be 2 bars, 4 bars or even 8 bars (i could be longer but im not that much into the EDM scene so someone else can clarify if there are songs with longer than 8 bar intros)...assuming you know what a bar is.

The build up is where you can feel the energy of the song...building up... In layman's terms, the melody usually starts out at a lower volume and at the standard tempo then it gets louder and louder and occasionally the tempo starts speeding up as well but in respect to the original tempo, think of halving a loop until its just a repeated sound.

Once the build up breaks into the song, that would be the drop. A drop is usually the transition into a chorus or the "Meat" of the song.

Hope that helps and if not, someone can come in add to the points i made.

Gjhowe1
03-11-2012, 08:47 PM
In terms of EDM music the intro can be short or long, ive seen ones go as long as 16 bars, most of the time they are at 8 bars to allow you to mix the track into the previous one. With EDM since there are fewer lyrics (sometimes none at all) your also going to phase match along with the beat match.

With EDM it starts off with your intro (normally a simple 4 on the floor bass or sometimes a rhythmic melody) and then move to the buildup or drop. With a buildup the song gains energy over about 8 bars and with a drop the song changes quickly from low energy to high energy. After this the song will move from high energy to low energy a few times (can be though of as chorus and verse). Most of the time this transition from high to low happens every 8 bars, and is called a phase.

Of course you have your outro as well that either just ends, or reduces energy to fade out into a simple beat you can mix into the next track.

Quentin Legend
03-12-2012, 03:46 AM
Thanks for the replies guys!

That helped! :)

+rep for both of you.

Austin GoGreen
03-12-2012, 11:33 AM
EDM intros are 16 to 32 bars, 64 or 128 beats. Breakdown is where the beat does just that, it breaks down (I.E. goes away). During the breakdown you may hear pads, effects, vocals, synths, etc. The breakdown usually goes into a build-up. You'll hear a vocal loop get cut in halves until its stuttering with a synth behind it sweeping/building up. Usually just after the build up is the drop. Then it repeats.

Now, as far as your questions goes on how to properly "phase" and at what point do you phase....

Everyone's style is a little different. For listening, I like the build ups. But mixing in a club I hate them. Instant double the track or loop the next tracks intro/outro and beatmatch it so that when the song breaksdown you will still have a constant beat. Find songs that match well.