PDA

View Full Version : American DJ Ruby Royal Red or American DJ Matrix Beam LED?

VJ LouNYC
12-09-2013, 12:34 PM
I recently purchased a pair of American DJ inno spot LED's. I also own some uplighting. I'm looking into one center piece that will give a WOW effect.

Which one do you guys think I should go for:

American DJ Ruby Royal Red
http://www.proaudiostar.com/american-dj-ruby-royal-red-blue-magenta-laser.html#buy

OR

American DJ Matrix Beam LED
http://www.americandj.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=2144&Category=L.E.D.&txtSearch=

Both are in my price range.

Thanks.

Synaxis
12-09-2013, 01:18 PM
I'd go with the laser, but why not an RGB laser like the Blizzard Kaptivator? Why are you limiting yourself to only these two fixtures?

VJ LouNYC
12-09-2013, 03:28 PM
I'm open to other fixtures in that price range as well. I really like the ADJ Laser because of the Magenta color. I also like the Matrix beam after seeing some cool videos.

fueledbymusic
12-09-2013, 04:23 PM
My vote is the laser!

VJ LouNYC
12-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Thanks fueledbymusic.

Any other opinions on this? I would appreciate some opinions from the guys who use similar fixtures.

Thanks.

fueledbymusic
12-10-2013, 11:05 PM
I been hearing about X laser mobile beats being a newer trend?. Those put out really cool shows. They "draw". Really cool

allensmusic
12-10-2013, 11:21 PM
I love my x-lasers

the RGB has Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Cyan, Magenta & White

VJ LouNYC
12-11-2013, 07:41 AM
What's the price range? My budget is about $600.

DJzrule
12-11-2013, 09:41 AM
You get what you pay for with lasers. The lowest priced RGB laser that real useable output without fog or haze, that can truly be computer controlled, is the Mobile beat by X-Laser. The Ruby is nice, but you don't get much useable output without a ton of haze and a dark room.

fueledbymusic
12-11-2013, 10:47 AM
I think that Ruby Royal will do. The more important thing is to get what you like.

VJ LouNYC
12-11-2013, 11:22 AM
I like the X-lasers as well but the one that I would get are all over $1000.

The American DJ Lasers look pretty good in that price range.

allensmusic
12-11-2013, 11:58 AM
X-laser mobile beat MK4 on the right side of the pictures. used from this forum $750.
X-laser X-beam 1 watt RGB on the left, used from ebay for $1245.
MBT HZ100 oil based hazer used from this forum $100

EDIT: lasers are controlled by pangolin quickshow - $600. I inverted the x-axis on one of the lasers.

There is a $600 rg ADJ laser somewhere in the middle that belongs to the house system. it doesnt show up in photos. you can only see it when the rest of the rig is off.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/Allenspictures/1456512_633089270063031_1985046175_n_zps869b09d9.j pg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/Allenspictures/1473035_633089740062984_178305239_n_zps64f768dd.jp g

fueledbymusic
12-11-2013, 01:15 PM
I think that Ruby Royal will do. The more important thing is to get what you like.

DJzrule: not if it can't be seen at all with his other lights

It's a $600 light:err:

allensmusic
12-11-2013, 01:19 PM
It's $600 light:err:

yes, its a fairly low power light and it doesnt have green or white, the brightest colors.

fueledbymusic
12-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Oh yeah. I'm familiarized with the reds being very dim. That's the way it is sadly.

fueledbymusic
12-11-2013, 01:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiZT93Oi3QE
I like it I LIKE IT

DJzrule
12-11-2013, 03:48 PM
I like it I LIKE IT

You're staring at a pitch black room dude. Don't recommend lights if you haven't used them. I've rented the Ruby Royal, and at the same time I've rented the RGB lasers that Chauvet and Blizzard put out (Scorpion 3D RGB and Kaptivator 3D RGB) and even those two are brighter. The only way you could truly see any of them was with a ton of haze and very little/no wash lighting. Can't even compare to the X-Laser Mobile Beat (which I should've gotten one of instead of 3 "eh" lasers).

allensmusic
12-11-2013, 03:59 PM
You're staring at a pitch black room dude. Don't recommend lights if you haven't used them. I've rented the Ruby Royal, and at the same time I've rented the RGB lasers that Chauvet and Blizzard put out (Scorpion 3D RGB and Kaptivator 3D RGB) and even those two are brighter. The only way you could truly see any of them was with a ton of haze and very little/no wash lighting. Can't even compare to the X-Laser Mobile Beat (which I should've gotten one of instead of 3 "eh" lasers).

exactly. the setup in my pictures has a Scorpion red green in the top center, and during an event the only way I can tell if it is turned on is to look directly at the aperture from the dance floor and see if there is some color in it. it doesnt show up in the room with any other lights going, and it has to have a lot of have or fog to see it at all even in dark light.

fueledbymusic
12-11-2013, 04:18 PM
I still like it LIKE IT;)

fueledbymusic
12-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Don't recommend lights if you haven't used them. WELL, I may not have that light, but I know what they are like. Because I have an after market one. Which is similar to that one. It draws pictures. REALLY COOL!

Well for the record those 3 lasers I paid what $100 for?? And that X laser is $1200. OF COURSE, it does not compare.. RIGHT, DJzrule? :P

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee435/fueledbymusic/Mylightshow4-201323_zps67ba1b84.jpg (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/fueledbymusic/media/Mylightshow4-201323_zps67ba1b84.jpg.html)

fueledbymusic
12-11-2013, 04:34 PM
allen: it doesnt show up in the room with any other lights going

I'm not sure what your talking about. If its seeing the whole beam from the aperture to the wall etc, or if your talking about the show you see on the wall etc. If your talking about the whole beam than OK. But if OP is just liking the light for the show it makes on the wall etc, then so it be! :P

DJzrule
12-11-2013, 04:37 PM
WELL, I may not have that light, but I know what they are like. Because I have an after market one. Which is similar to that one. It draws pictures. REALLY COOL!

Well for the record those 3 lasers I paid what $100 for?? And that X laser is $1200. OF COURSE, it does not compare.. RIGHT, DJzrule? :P

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee435/fueledbymusic/Mylightshow4-201323_zps67ba1b84.jpg (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/fueledbymusic/media/Mylightshow4-201323_zps67ba1b84.jpg.html)

So you're comparing a no-name Chinese laser, with no believable specs (if you haven't noticed, no name brands will put anything down if it means selling a product), paid 100 for 3 lasers, one of which is a high power one that can write, and you feel comfortable giving advice about lasers, a safety issue in and of itself, to other users? Seriously? I'm not trying to be rude, but you should NOT be giving advice under those terms.

Also, for 100 you couldn't even afford proper or reliable galvo's, and with high power lasers you NEED precision. One false move and you blind or hurt someone for life. Please don't even COMPARE your 100$ chinese lasers with an FDA approved X-Laser or ADJ laser.

allensmusic
12-11-2013, 04:46 PM
WELL, I may not have that light, but I know what they are like. Because I have an after market one. Which is similar to that one. It draws pictures. REALLY COOL!

so are you suggesting there is a laser here in this picture?

is it those two squiggly lines on the wall?
nobody looks at walls, you gotta have something in the air.

fueledbymusic
12-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Now listen DJzrule, the OP asked what we think he should pick. I voted the Ruby laser. Plain and simple, Right?:P

fueledbymusic
12-11-2013, 04:52 PM
so are you suggesting there is a laser here in this picture?

is it those two squiggly lines on the wall?
nobody looks at walls, you gotta have something in the air.
Oh, so that's what your talking about. Something in the air, well then OK

I'm not sure what OP is looking exactly what he wants to do. To me its looks like he just wants it for the show on the wall etc. But actually he did mention that it was the color he liked. That's why that laser is called Ruby royal! :P

allensmusic
12-11-2013, 04:54 PM
I'm not sure what your talking about. If its seeing the whole beam from the aperture to the wall etc, or if your talking about the show you see on the wall etc. If your talking about the whole beam than OK. But if OP is just liking the light for the show it makes on the wall etc, then so it be! :P

the entire purpose of a laser is to show up in the air
any laser worth seeing is required by law to be 9 feet above the floor. who looks for lines on the ceiling?

any laser worth buying must be able to have aerials worth seeing.

This is going the same direction as your LED light discussion. you have no real grasp of lighting.
I do not mean this as an insult. I am sure your customers are content with what you do for the price you charge for the area you live in.
however, you keep giving bad lighting advice.
you have a $100 illegal laser. you can get huge fines for using it. I have my doubts you are trained to use it, and I am certain you do not have the variance needed to operate it at events.
I do hope you prove me wrong.
by the way, I have a class IV variance, I am legal to operate any size entertainment laser.

also, both the lasers in my previous pictures are full animation lasers. I can type any message and it instantly appears, and I can display my logo, or a company logo for events. I have over 2000 animated images I can show on a wall. they will show up across a large venue in 15 foot tall letters in full daylight.

fueledbymusic
12-11-2013, 05:18 PM
This thread is not about giving advice, it's about us giving opinions about which light he should pick, RIGHT?

And my lasers is NOT even in the equation of this thread. I'm just saying I know what that Ruby Royal is like based on my "drawing" laser. SAME concept! :P

BUT the video is enough for me to give a vote, Right?:P

^^ I have my doubts you are trained to use it, and I am certain you do not have the variance needed to operate it at events.Oh I know plenty of it. I don't use my lasers except for garage or house parties. I never have all three lasers on at the same time. That "squiggly line" one, I typically point at walls or ceilings. Away from crowd of course. But actually I limit the use of those all in all.

^^^also, both the lasers in my previous pictures are full animation lasers. I can type any message and it instantly appears, and I can display my logo, or a company logo for events. I have over 2000 animated images I can show on a wall. they will show up across a large venue in 15 foot tall letters in full daylight.Cool, I like the shows there! But that's overkill for my application!:P. You don't want me to cut up my garage, do you?? :lol:Plus, just one of those cost more than my whole system! (remember, I'm not a business DJ, you guys are) 1 watt lasers, you can cut somebody wit that!:D

allensmusic
12-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Oh, so that's what your talking about. Something in the air, well then OK

I'm not sure what OP is looking exactly what he wants to do. To me its looks like he just wants it for the show on the wall etc. But actually he did mention that it was the color he liked. That's why that laser is called Ruby royal! :P

right, and the xlaser can fill the air with magenta. yes, it also hits the wall, but nobody notices.

if all anyone wants is dots on a wall buy a $40 laser that is low enough power to not need a variance.
If he wants a laser that will do what a laser does best, and fill the air with light, he will need to spend some money

VJ LouNYC
12-11-2013, 07:21 PM
WOW. Where did this thread go? LOL. I appreciate all the input from you guys. I'm definitely going for the laser.

It just seems like I should get an X-Laser. It's over my budget since I just purchased moving heads as well.

What do you guys think of the X-Laser Caliente RGB? Looks like that might be in my price range with the right hook up.

A fellow DJ member on this forum who owns a X-Laser(an expensive one at that) said that he liked the Ruby Royal. For the price, I was interested.

VJ LouNYC
12-11-2013, 08:28 PM
I just spoke to friend who is a X-Laser dealer and he told don't bother with the cheap stuff. Not even with the cheaper X-Laser equipment. He told me to stick with the $1100 Lasers to get real effect.

I'm back to square one.

allensmusic
12-11-2013, 08:46 PM
I just spoke to friend who is a X-Laser dealer and he told don't bother with the cheap stuff. Not even with the cheaper X-Laser equipment. He told me to stick with the $1100 Lasers to get real effect.

I'm back to square one.

its worse than that. the dmx controlled lasers are pathetic the cheapest decent software is pangolin and it costs $600 and uses ILDA cables.

fueledbymusic
12-11-2013, 08:53 PM
^^^ Mannn you guys are HARD to make happy.... :lol:

allensmusic
12-11-2013, 08:57 PM
^^^ Mannn you guys are HARD to make happy.... :lol:

I hate wasting money. the $600 dollar lasers are marginally better than the $200 ones. the $1500 dollar lasers (x-laser mobile beat) are awesome. the $4000 laser (x-laser x-beam) is awesome and built much better.

so for a DJ on the budget, get a cheap laser and forget aerial stuff.
for the person wanting a real laser display plan to spend $2k or more for the laser and software.

fueledbymusic
12-11-2013, 09:04 PM
That X-Laser Caliente RGB is pretty cool! That one is more colorful.

WOW. Where did this thread go? LOL. I appreciate all the input from you guys. I'm definitely going for the laser.

It just seems like I should get an X-Laser. It's over my budget since I just purchased moving heads as well.

What do you guys think of the X-Laser Caliente RGB? Looks like that might be in my price range with the right hook up.

A fellow DJ member on this forum who owns a X-Laser(an expensive one at that) said that he liked the Ruby Royal. For the price, I was interested.

allensmusic
12-11-2013, 09:13 PM
That X-Laser Caliente RGB is pretty cool! That one is more colorful.

I'm back to square one.

yes, the video looks cool. however, it isnt ILDA compatible and even the x-laser dealer recommends against it.

fueledbymusic
12-11-2013, 09:36 PM
even the x-laser dealer recommends against it.

I know.. I know :)

VJ LouNYC
12-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Here is something I should mention. He basically said that with lasers, to get the full effect you should also get software, fog or haze. I don't plan to use any of those right away.

I'm still planing on checking the X-Laser Caliente RGB out in person. He quoted me $650. I'll keep you guys posted. thanks for all the info.

fueledbymusic
12-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Here is something I should mention. He basically said that with lasers, to get the full effect you should also get software, fog or haze. I don't plan to use any of those right away.

I'm still planing on checking the X-Laser Caliente RGB out in person. He quoted me $650. I'll keep you guys posted. thanks for all the info.
That's the BEST advice I heard today! I was actually getting ready to say that myself. Check out both, the cheaper one and that X laser in person!

Edit: I mean the cheaper X laser and the mobile beat X laser

allensmusic
12-12-2013, 12:57 AM
the problem is, you can not use the software with the calliente. it is standalone or DMX only.
if you NEVER plan to move up its probably a good deal.

VJ LouNYC
12-12-2013, 07:09 AM
Good point.

allensmusic
12-12-2013, 12:04 PM
I was recently in the same dilemma. I purchased my first three decent lasers since september. My first purchase was a illegal chinese red green 4 aperture unit. while I was researching I stumbled across a mobile beat x-laser for $750. I purchased it at almost the same time as the chinese one. after I purchased it I then realized how powerful the pangolin software is for the "real" lasers compared to standalone or DMX. the comparison would be similar to using an Iphone to DJ with instead of "insert dream DJ setup here".

I also learned a few other things. virtually none of the people care about the cool designs and animations that can be displayed on a wall.
People love the aerial stuff. to do aerial stuff you HAVE to keep the lasers out of peoples eyes.

The point of this story?
I have hired myself to do laser shows at local events about 8 times since the purchases.
I have used the chinese laser three times. each time it has been used, it was by fellow DJ's wanting to borrow/rent a light. I have not bothered plugging the illegal light in at a gig. it just doesnt compare. $200 down the drain. it works exactly as advertised, it is just very cheaply made and the laser is difficult to control and doesnt show up in the haze.

VJ LouNYC
12-12-2013, 12:07 PM
How would the mobile beat x-laser work on sound active only? Just curious.

DJzrule
12-12-2013, 12:27 PM
How would the mobile beat x-laser work on sound active only? Just curious.

Just like moving heads and any worthwhile DJ lights, it has its built in programs, but you're going to get the same old thing everytime.

VJ LouNYC
12-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Ok thanks.