PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading DJ Cans. Need input.

Ferrealz
03-10-2012, 12:51 AM
What up DJF,

Well I think its time to retire my first headphones I've bought. I currently have the RP-DH1200 headphones from Technics. I really enjoyed them throughout the whole time I had them. Currently I am looking into these headphones for replacement.

1) Sennheiser HD-25-1 II Headphones
http://www.turntablelab.com/dj_equipment/71/145/27413.html

2)Allen & Heath Xone XD-53 Headphones
http://www.turntablelab.com/dj_equipment/71/145/39593.html

3)Pioneer HDJ-1000k headphones
http://www.turntablelab.com/dj_equipment/71/145/88030.html

Sound quality is number one in my list along with good isolation. After that its durability and comfort. Anyone have any input/experience with these?

Phil Noize
03-10-2012, 03:40 PM
I would go for the HD-25s ... or maybe Pioneer HDJ-2000s if you have spare cash.

HDJ-1000s tend to break at the swivel.

Ferrealz
03-10-2012, 03:56 PM
I've looked into the 2000. Looks great but the price difference is cutting it for me. I hear the hd25 are great for their sound but folks say they are flat. I thought having a flat sounds were best to get in order to get the best out of your mixes and in music production.

deejayjsin
03-10-2012, 05:11 PM
The HD25-1 II aren't flat, they push a good amount of bass and the isolation is pretty damn good. My 2

Estacy
03-10-2012, 05:22 PM
there are no true Dj headphones that don't push bass. It's what is to be expected and is not wrong in any way. I say, go listen for yourself. every head is different

Ferrealz
03-10-2012, 06:38 PM
I'll try to swing buy a guitar center to check them out prior to buying. I might possibly go with the hd25s. Thanks for the input everyone.

Ocie
03-10-2012, 07:18 PM
hd25.

Phil Noize
03-12-2012, 07:33 AM
... or consider the AiAiAi TMA-1 ... another great pair of phones

akswun
03-12-2012, 07:56 AM
Dj forums is HD25 biased. Whats even funnier is that I have probably seen 1 dj ever use a pair. I'm not saying that HD25 suck, they're alright. I've tried em a few times.

But, the HDJ1000s are nice as well.

My next headphone upgrade will def. be the TMA-1's

hoff
03-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Dj forums is HD25 biased. Whats even funnier is that I have probably seen 1 dj ever use a pair. I'm not saying that HD25 suck, they're alright. I've tried em a few times.

But, the HDJ1000s are nice as well.

My next headphone upgrade will def. be the TMA-1's

you're literally retarded. google any big dj who hasn't sold out to pioneer and they're wearing 25's.

get the 25's. they sound great, are very lightweight/comfortable, but the biggest plus is their durability. Mine look brand new 2 years later while my roomate's beats have essentially disintegrated. I don't baby mine either. Throw em in my bag and never have to worry about them.

a couple first page google search pics:

emery: http://newsflash.bigshotmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Gareth-Emery-by-Kathy-Vitkus-1.jpg

lake: http://www.dropthevibe.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/ChrisLake.jpg

afrojack: http://www.themusicninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/XS-Afrojack-588.jpg

not gunna waste any more of my time..

Rick_N
03-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Yep HD-25's bro, you wont regret it!

mostapha
03-13-2012, 07:54 AM
HDJ-1000s tend to break at the swivel.They also sound like crap.

There are only 2 DJ headphones I'd buy: HD-25s (which I own) and MDR-7506 (which I used to own).

I'm probably going to buy another pair of 7506s at some point to use for production when I'm not at home because they're flatter than hd25s, but I've DJ'd with them, and they work great. And they're cheap.

TocaTone
03-13-2012, 04:37 PM
I have both the HD-25s and TMA-1s and you really can't go wrong with either of them. I've also had the HDJ 1000 but they fucking break and are old now and look fucking cheesy. I still don't understand why they ever get recommended in 2012. If anything the hdj 2000s are nice but cost $400+ for some reason I haven't figured out yet.

DJF are not biased towards HD 25s we are just biased towards good quality products and if anyone has owned a pair of hdj 1000s for more than 6 months they know it will break. And if not, well then you're stuck with a crappy sounding headphone that you need to baby to make sure it doesn't snap in half.

The Sennheisers and TMAs are nearly indestructible for what DJs put our gear through, they sound great, and they have timeless designs that won't look retarded in 5 years.

swine
03-14-2012, 01:07 AM
... or consider the AiAiAi TMA-1 ... another great pair of phones

these are incredibly bassy, but sometimes thats what you want

akswun
03-14-2012, 10:04 AM
you're literally retarded. google any big dj who hasn't sold out to pioneer and they're wearing 25's.

get the 25's. they sound great, are very lightweight/comfortable, but the biggest plus is their durability. Mine look brand new 2 years later while my roomate's beats have essentially disintegrated. I don't baby mine either. Throw em in my bag and never have to worry about them.

a couple first page google search pics:

emery: http://newsflash.bigshotmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Gareth-Emery-by-Kathy-Vitkus-1.jpg

lake: http://www.dropthevibe.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/ChrisLake.jpg

afrojack: http://www.themusicninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/XS-Afrojack-588.jpg

not gunna waste any more of my time..

oh but you did waste your time. Thanks for the references of dj's that do use HD25's. Thanks, Thanks a lot!
But it's not going to change my opinion. Is it really selling out to pioneer if you're given free cans?
And since I'm a retard,
Why are you even suggesting HD25s when clearly staring at waveforms is the way you mix.(sans your avatar)... keep the cans on and your laptop closed.

Estacy
03-14-2012, 10:25 AM
its not just DJ's that use them. 90% of cameramen use them, nearly all sound engineers, FOH mixers, you name it. its the industry standard headphone in everything that involves sound. be it DJ'ing or something else.

And I don't really see why using a laptop stops you from using HD25s? even if you stare at the waveforms you still need headphones to make sure you've got the right track loaded.

akswun
03-14-2012, 11:52 AM
its not just DJ's that use them. 90% of cameramen use them, nearly all sound engineers, FOH mixers, you name it. its the industry standard headphone in everything that involves sound. be it DJ'ing or something else.

And I don't really see why using a laptop stops you from using HD25s? even if you stare at the waveforms you still need headphones to make sure you've got the right track loaded.

lol... I know sound guys use them. I see it all the time especially during sports broadcasts.

Me ragging on him about his avatar staring at his laptop w/ his headphones off was a cheap shot because he called me retarded. But you can defintely mix without headphones by just staring at your laptop. I've done it, I'm sure a lot of noobs do it. But whats the use of a good pair of headphones when you're just staring at your monitor beatmatching the waveforms?

But again IMO... a lot of stress on MY OPINION.... HD25's are fine but not my cup of tea. Yes they're strong and yes the sound quality is good and all but again IMO I'm not a fan of due to it being a little too small for my large ears. And from what I've seen being from Toronto the numerous DJ's I know and have seen djing I have yet to see at least 1 use a pair of HD25's. Maybe they don't know, or maybe they do know but the DJ's that I know are seasoned vets. And majority of them are using HDJ 1000's & 2000's and or V700's. Yes they're not as strong as HD25's. And the afformentioned cans have hinges that are weak and prone to breakage. But yet these DJ's still go back? I wonder why? If you're one who tosses your headphones in your bag or wherever like a piece of shit it's going to break. But if you treat it with some respect it'll last you. Regardless if they're HD25's or a $300 pair of HDJ2000.

TocaTone
03-15-2012, 01:54 AM
And the afformentioned cans have hinges that are weak and prone to breakage. But yet these DJ's still go back? I wonder why?

Are you saying that all these DJ vets you know keep breaking their headphones due to the admittedly weak hinge and yet they keep going back and buying the same pair? Is that how you classify a solid product? Your logic is dumbfounding. You are basing your opinion on things like how many pro DJs you've seen wearing the headphone (you must be living under a rock if you're from Toronto and don't see every other DJ with a pair of HD25s) and other irrelevant issues. Why don't you focus on the important things like sound and build quality?

Using your logic I could say that because there are tons of Honda Accords driving around my city and I have yet to see a Lambo Aventador. The Honda is obviously better even though the Lambo clearly sounds better and is built much better. Sound familiar?

And BTW, being able to toss your headphones around like shit without worrying about them breaking in half should be top priority when it comes to DJ headphones. I can't believe you are defending headphones that break easily for DJING.

akswun
03-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Are you saying that all these DJ vets you know keep breaking their headphones due to the admittedly weak hinge and yet they keep going back and buying the same pair? Is that how you classify a solid product? Your logic is dumbfounding. You are basing your opinion on things like how many pro DJs you've seen wearing the headphone (you must be living under a rock if you're from Toronto and don't see every other DJ with a pair of HD25s) and other irrelevant issues. Why don't you focus on the important things like sound and build quality?

Using your logic I could say that because there are tons of Honda Accords driving around my city and I have yet to see a Lambo Aventador. The Honda is obviously better even though the Lambo clearly sounds better and is built much better. Sound familiar?

And BTW, being able to toss your headphones around like shit without worrying about them breaking in half should be top priority when it comes to DJ headphones. I can't believe you are defending headphones that break easily for DJING.
Dj sfs, grouch, lil jas,pplus,Kariz... Just to name a few

I guess u can say I'm defending "other" headphones. Other meaning non hd25. Hinges do mean that there can be a weak point. But it also comes down to the user as well. But hd25 are not indestructible. Yes they are built with strength in mind but to me they are not the industry standard as a lot of you claim. Hence the reference to more popular djs I know that don't use them. We can name drop all day about who uses what but to me it comes down to what the dj needs. V7s catch slack because they're known to break. But if that dj wants/needs more bass response because of the style of music he plays then maybe getting another pair is his choice.
I talk about this situation from time to time with my buddy who got me into djing,about how djforumers are big hd25s. And we both agree that we've rarely seen djs we watch use them. Maybe it's the djs style or maybe they just don't know about them.
So yeah hd25s are alright to me, as suggested by this forum but from experience I've rarely seen them being used by djs that I enjoy listening too.

Phil Noize
03-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Pioneer's HDJ2000s don't break easily, and you can monitor "on the shoulder", which you can't do with HD25s unless you buy the cheaper SPs.

Really, it's horses for courses ... everyone has their preference. We don't need to get all shitty about it!

Cryder
03-19-2012, 07:57 PM
May I suggest Ultrasone? I think they sound fantastic(loud and incredibly detailed, good bass but not overpowering, easier to monitor at lower volumes) and they've proven to be very durable, I've had my DJ-1's since 2008 and have only needed to replace the earpads once. Another suggestion would be the Sennheiser HD-280's, GREAT cans for the price, fantastic isolation and sound. Only reason I got the DJ-1's was because the Senny's got stolen and the DJ-1's are a little more low-profile.

DJ Braz
03-29-2012, 11:39 AM
im surprised no one mentioned V-Moda Crossfades headphones...they look great, sound even better and you can get them now at radio shack for $89

http://v-moda.com/crossfade-lp/

Rek_Aviles
03-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Love my Denon HP-1000 :teef:

DJNR
03-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Ultrasone DJ1 Pro. Sound awesome, and super comfortable.

djlukewathey
04-07-2012, 04:02 AM
i personally think the hdj2000s are just way to big and look like you should be wearing a suite in a lounge bar with them, not sure of the sound but theres a hefty price tag involved.

the hdj1000s just fall apart and arnt very isolated and are pretty much the same headphone as the allen & heath as they are made by the same company AKG,

I own a pair of the hd25 adidas originals and i love there so comfy after you have used them for a while as they seem to mould to your head...the isolation is great id say pretty much 100percent and unlike the other headphones dont fall of my little head lol.

Hope this helps

noize_unit
04-17-2012, 10:11 AM
i personally think the hdj2000s are just way to big and look like you should be wearing a suite in a lounge bar with them, not sure of the sound but theres a hefty price tag involved.

the hdj1000s just fall apart and arnt very isolated and are pretty much the same headphone as the allen & heath as they are made by the same company AKG,

I own a pair of the hd25 adidas originals and i love there so comfy after you have used them for a while as they seem to mould to your head...the isolation is great id say pretty much 100percent and unlike the other headphones dont fall of my little head lol.

Hope this helps

I believe the OEM of the A&H XD-53s is Audio Technica (based on ATH-M50 model) not sure if the pioneers OEM is AKG or not

I've heard that the HDJ-1000 and XD-53 are pretty different, but then again that is heresay, i have used the xd-53s before and they have great isolation but i havent used the HDJ-1000s so i wouldnt be able to compare them :P

el-loko
04-18-2012, 09:27 PM
I bought the xd2-53`s this past weekend(the newest one with replaceable cables), and they feel solid, a little on the heavy side, but they feel better than my longest lasting headphones(Denon DN-HP1000) and sounds just as good if not better.... my denons stopped working last summer after 2yrs of giging(broken un-replacable cable) I was looking for something different and tried the sure 750dj and broke after 5 months(hinges) and then tried the red waves and both cans blew up after 3 months(junk headphones), and was a previous owner of the Pioneer HDJ-1000 and they only last me only 6 months(broken hinges) I think I made the right choice... lets see how it works out. Paid $219.99 @ guitar center was an emergency buy I'm sure u can get them cheaper if you look around...

Rothgery
04-18-2012, 09:33 PM
They also sound like crap.

There are only 2 DJ headphones I'd buy: HD-25s (which I own) and MDR-7506 (which I used to own).

I'm probably going to buy another pair of 7506s at some point to use for production when I'm not at home because they're flatter than hd25s, but I've DJ'd with them, and they work great. And they're cheap.

You like the 750's? I am not impressed with them at all, even for the price. IMO they preform like they should be 80$ The build quality is pretty bad too, they feel too cheap to me.

Rothgery
04-18-2012, 09:43 PM
I now have been using the Shure 750's and they lack bass and isolation, so I am biased against headphones that follow in that type of profile.

IF it was me, (and probably will be soon) I'd get the AiAiAi TMA's, as far as the reviews go, sounds like they would be the closest alternative to the tech's.

DjBlanco
04-19-2012, 06:07 AM
there are no true Dj headphones that don't push bass. It's what is to be expected and is not wrong in any way. I say, go listen for yourself. every head is different

ultrasone dj1 pros are flat comfortable and have amazing isolation

DJNR
04-19-2012, 12:29 PM
ultrasone dj1 pros are flat comfortable and have amazing isolation

:tup: and sound crystal clear!

Synergy
04-19-2012, 12:43 PM
ivoted a&h 53, they are dope.

DjBlanco
04-19-2012, 01:12 PM
:tup: and sound crystal clear!

should add i bought mine in 2004 HEAVY used these been clubbed out with toured with and just thrown in my backpack with no protection all these years changed the earpads once(2nd pair is included) and im going to buy new pads in the next few months still rocking strong still sound great still unbroken

DJNR
04-19-2012, 01:17 PM
should add i bought mine in 2004 HEAVY used these been clubbed out with toured with and just thrown in my backpack with no protection all these years changed the earpads once(2nd pair is included) and im going to buy new pads in the next few months still rocking strong still sound great still unbroken

Same here. Used mine for 4 years and they are still amazing. I carry mine in the case they come in.

bumpyjonas
04-19-2012, 01:25 PM
The XD-53 are my primary cans and they are well worth the investment.

Sublim&All
05-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Bit of a thread hijack but about those Ultrasone DJ1 Pros...is it true about them being safer for your hearing due to them reducing the amounts of dB in output?

I have tinnitus and I'm getting more and more paranoid for loud sounds, so these may be perfect for me...

Atomisk
05-15-2012, 12:52 AM

You're literally retarded. David Guetta uses beats and he hasn't sold out to Pioneer.
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/popcrush.com/files/2012/03/David-Guetta.jpg

ser182
05-26-2012, 12:01 AM
Try the Panasonic HTF-600. Got mine through amazon $30 free shipping. The SQ is really good. Nice deep bass and smooth highs. Very good pair of cans.

Andrew B
05-26-2012, 12:12 AM
David Guetta uses beats and he hasn't sold out to Pioneer.

True. He sold out to Beats and has his own model.

Try the Panasonic HTF-600. Got mine through amazon $30 free shipping. The SQ is really good. Nice deep bass and smooth highs. Very good pair of cans.

:blank:

This thread is about DJ headphones. On a DJ forum.

djlukewathey
06-09-2012, 04:08 AM
i bought the hd-25 adidas originals and now i couldnt live with out them, i use them for djing, listening to music to and from work and also listening to music at home (if the mrs is watching tv)

soo as a good all round headphone i think there great,

i looked at the pioneers and thought they are to over priced and to big for my little pea head lol so that cancelled them out,

never looked at the hdj1000s due to there build quality as iv heard 2 many horror stories about the clips snapping etc

to be fair as i own hd25s i am going to be slightly biased towards them.

missed out on the poll though

DJ Retro Blaze
06-15-2012, 12:49 PM
I own the Pioneer HDJ-1000K headphones (the limited edition black version), and it suffices for my needs. However, the other headphone models listed in your poll I have not used, and cannot provide a fair comparison.

Scrap McNapps
06-22-2012, 03:52 PM
lol... I know sound guys use them. I see it all the time especially during sports broadcasts.

Me ragging on him about his avatar staring at his laptop w/ his headphones off was a cheap shot because he called me retarded. But you can defintely mix without headphones by just staring at your laptop. I've done it, I'm sure a lot of noobs do it. But whats the use of a good pair of headphones when you're just staring at your monitor beatmatching the waveforms?

But again IMO... a lot of stress on MY OPINION.... HD25's are fine but not my cup of tea. Yes they're strong and yes the sound quality is good and all but again IMO I'm not a fan of due to it being a little too small for my large ears. And from what I've seen being from Toronto the numerous DJ's I know and have seen djing I have yet to see at least 1 use a pair of HD25's. Maybe they don't know, or maybe they do know but the DJ's that I know are seasoned vets. And majority of them are using HDJ 1000's & 2000's and or V700's. Yes they're not as strong as HD25's. And the afformentioned cans have hinges that are weak and prone to breakage. But yet these DJ's still go back? I wonder why? If you're one who tosses your headphones in your bag or wherever like a piece of shit it's going to break. But if you treat it with some respect it'll last you. Regardless if they're HD25's or a $300 pair of HDJ2000.

I knew about the history of the HDJ-1000 in terms of the hinge breaking and bought them anyways. They lasted for bout 6 months. Started breaking at the hinge and the left channel died. And I babied these headphones. The quality isnt as good as some of the other ones I bought.

BurntToast
06-27-2012, 02:39 PM
I like my V-Moda Crossfade's a lot. They look great, sound great, feel great, and only cost me $80. Plus they came with a nice case. Check Radio Shack for a good deal.

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/1486911/22167444/0/1309425104/V-MODA_Crossfade_LP_On-Ear_Headsets_Headphones_Black_Chrome_With_ControlT alk.jpg

http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/903/001/367/367001903_281.jpg

hoff
06-28-2012, 04:54 PM
You're literally retarded. David Guetta uses beats and he hasn't sold out to Pioneer.
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/popcrush.com/files/2012/03/David-Guetta.jpg

guess I should have been less specific and said sold out to anybody. or maybe guetta knows what's up and personally chose beats (half by guetta) for the phenomenal sound quality.

but i doubt it, that pic makes guetta look legitimately retarded. :teef: