PDA

View Full Version : Berghain Techno

fat8ack
12-04-2013, 10:54 AM
https://soundcloud.com/fat8ack/fcktechno

I want to put this in Mix Submission too, would that not be prudent? Anyway all track info located on sound cloud. There is a little hiccup at min 26. But this is just me mixing, not preplanning, just having fun jamming.

Adzm00
12-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Looks alright :)

fat8ack
12-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Thanks brotha! There is a little hicup right at 26 min but I posted it anyway. I feel the rest is ok....no trainwreaking....but I still have a long way to go. lol

oddnumber
12-04-2013, 12:32 PM
is anyone else experiencing an error when trying to open soundcloud link into new tab with firefox?

fat8ack
12-04-2013, 12:46 PM
is anyone else experiencing an error when trying to open soundcloud link into new tab with firefox?

I am on chrome....but the link worked.

contra
12-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Hey man, I like the mix! That hiccup at 26 isn't that bad, a normal crowd wouldn't even notice that. And the track selection is great, I'd definitely add some of them to my crate when shopping :tup:

fat8ack
12-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Hey man, I like the mix! That hiccup at 26 isn't that bad, a normal crowd wouldn't even notice that. And the track selection is great, I'd definitely add some of them to my crate when shopping :tup:

Thank you so much brotha!!!!

Catch22
12-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Nice one with the BEK and Sleaze tracks :) Will try and have a listen.

oddnumber
12-05-2013, 06:10 PM
I am on chrome....but the link worked.

it works for me as well when I open new tab and then copy/paste. But if I try to open it directly from the link into new tab id doesnt. This happens with other submission as well. Might be firefox issue or djf issue.

Mahatma Coat
12-09-2013, 05:32 AM
Listened to this, I'm just going to be honest about what I think:

- For me the majority of this music isn't what I'd associate with the Berghain, or underground European techno clubs in general. A lot of the records (imo) lean towards hard progressive or trance from the mid/early 00s, I don't think there's a way in hell you'd hear this type of stuff in an underground European party. If you want the Berghain sound specifically then its all about the kick drum, you have to go out and find records that possess an absolutely monsterous, cavernous kick drum thumping away at the heart of the track.

Here's a tool from Dettmann which features the monster kick:

gJjw2BQOaow

- The mixing was too slow, the records have to change up much quicker to build momentum and pressure.

There wasn't anything especially bad about the mix, but if you're trying to emulate a particular sound or style, then I think you need to pay more attention to the records you use and how fast you mix them.

Some of the best techno podcasts available come via Chris Liebing's CLR podcast series (http://www.clr.net/media.pl), all available free over the web; check out the ones from the likes of:
(Berghain residents)
- Dettmann,
- Klock,
- Norman Nodge,
- Planetary Assault Systems/Luke Slater,

Also:
- DVS 1
- ROD
- Function
- Silent Servant
- Perc
- Xhin
- Peter Van Hoesen
- Psyk
- Terrence Fixmer
- Adam X
- Jonas Kopp

For tips on mixing and tracks etc.

Adzm00
12-09-2013, 07:56 AM
- For me the majority of this music isn't what I'd associate with the Berghain, or underground European techno clubs in general.

Depends on the club. I've heard plenty of music like that out and about. But it isn't Berghain sound (thankfully ;)).

fat8ack
12-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Listened to this, I'm just going to be honest about what I think:

- For me the majority of this music isn't what I'd associate with the Berghain, or underground European techno clubs in general. A lot of the records (imo) lean towards hard progressive or trance from the mid/early 00s, I don't think there's a way in hell you'd hear this type of stuff in an underground European party. If you want the Berghain sound specifically then its all about the kick drum, you have to go out and find records that possess an absolutely monsterous, cavernous kick drum thumping away at the heart of the track.

Here's a tool from Dettmann which features the monster kick:

gJjw2BQOaow

- The mixing was too slow, the records have to change up much quicker to build momentum and pressure.

There wasn't anything especially bad about the mix, but if you're trying to emulate a particular sound or style, then I think you need to pay more attention to the records you use and how fast you mix them.

Some of the best techno podcasts available come via Chris Liebing's CLR podcast series (http://www.clr.net/media.pl), all available free over the web; check out the ones from the likes of:
(Berghain residents)
- Dettmann,
- Klock,
- Norman Nodge,
- Planetary Assault Systems/Luke Slater,

Also:
- DVS 1
- ROD
- Function
- Silent Servant
- Perc
- Xhin
- Peter Van Hoesen
- Psyk
- Terrence Fixmer
- Adam X
- Jonas Kopp

For tips on mixing and tracks etc.

Thank you my friend. This is a whole new genre for me so I am still learning the ropes. But this is excellent advice. Thank you!

fat8ack
12-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Depends on the club. I've heard plenty of music like that out and about. But it isn't Berghain sound (thankfully ;)).

WHat did you think Adz...worth a shit?

I am very new at digging for techno. But I really love this stuff, so time will allow me to better understand the sound for sure. I feels so much more mature to me than most anything else.

Def know what Mahatma is saying about the early 00s progressive tech sound. My buddy I spin with in my studio told me the same thing. But, I am a work in progress. I hope by the time I am 40 I will have this all figured out lol. I am 36 now.

Adzm00
12-09-2013, 10:30 AM
WHat did you think Adz...worth a shit?

I am very new at digging for techno. But I really love this stuff, so time will allow me to better understand the sound for sure. I feels so much more mature to me than most anything else.

Dunno about the mixing, I haven't had chance to listen to it at the weekend, might be able to sometime this week though. Had a gig to do and mixes to create plus we are getting loads of mail with promos and all sorts of offers for our blog at the moment, so strapped for time is an understatement.

fat8ack
12-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Dunno about the mixing, I haven't had chance to listen to it at the weekend, might be able to sometime this week though. Had a gig to do and mixes to create plus we are getting loads of mail with promos and all sorts of offers for our blog at the moment, so strapped for time is an understatement.

Thats tight though......do work.

Era 7
12-09-2013, 10:50 AM
sounds very drumcode to me. à la joseph capriati. just an observation :)

fat8ack
12-09-2013, 10:53 AM

this is good?

Adzm00
12-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Thats tight though......do work.

It's frustrating, I wish I had more time in the day. At the moment it is like working 2 full time jobs.

disparate
12-10-2013, 07:06 AM

Yeah I'd say it's more Drumcode than Berghain at the moment, although some tracks there like the Function one and a couple of others later on are things I'd be happy to associate with Berghain and similar clubs.

That said, it'd be a bit of a fallacy to narrow in too much on a "Berghain techno sound" as if you look at their lineups, and the selections of their residents such as Klock, Nodge, Dettmann, etc, they actually play a very diverse range of techno. Berghain techno isn't just dark atmospheres/reverby kick drums/tracks that sound like Subzero. It does generally err more on the side of dark and cavernous than say the Drumcode/Bek/Sims sort of sound, but to me it just encompasses the majority of techno outside of that fairly narrow big-room sound.

I'd still say it's a solid attempt at a techno mix even if it is more big-room than European underground, discovering more about music is a neverending quest though :)

fat8ack
12-10-2013, 07:59 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to disparate again. Same for all of you.

Massive cheers for the feedback on this mix, my friends.

I actually bought a Drumcode pack, it was 23 tracks for 9.99. Had that sound I was looking for, and was super cheap for 23 tracks off beatport. I also dug quite a bit, going through labels you guys recommended and doing a bit of my own research. I am sure a lot of the stuff you would hear at Berghain is not very easily found and a good bit only pressed on vinyl. I am an all digital guy (for now) so I am probably a bit limited to the shit they play in there on a Monday morning.

Going to continue the search though, have nothing to do today but sit in front of the computer and dig for tracks and such.

Happy hunting.

MNMT
12-13-2013, 03:23 AM
Excellent post man.

Whats special about Berghain for me is that they take their time when playing. In so many clubs you see that the DJs have a strickt timetable to follow which is often to short, specially when it comes to techno. The DJs at Berghain can take their time and slowly build up an epic set. It does not really matter so much how hard it is, because they use their time to get the audience into a transe, and man.. they got a epic soundsystem to!

disparate
12-13-2013, 03:53 AM
Excellent post man.

Whats special about Berghain for me is that they take their time when playing. In so many clubs you see that the DJs have a strickt timetable to follow which is often to short, specially when it comes to techno. The DJs at Berghain can take their time and slowly build up an epic set. It does not really matter so much how hard it is, because they use their time to get the audience into a transe, and man.. they got a epic soundsystem to!

True. I began my clubbing 'career' in Scotland where clubs nearly always close at 3am, people arrive around 12-1am, and a headline DJ set is usually just an hour or two; so the whole night is only a few hours long and usually involves multiple DJs - so hearing of (and later on actually experiencing) 4+ hour sets at places like Berghain was definitely an eye-opener for me. It's a different way of DJing and as someone who considers themself a fairly diverse DJ I'd love to get more of a chance to play these longer sets rather than my usual gigs that tend to just involve getting/keeping people dancing for an hour and often having to play it a bit safe to keep things moving.

Jdaddy
01-13-2014, 09:59 PM
If you want a nice shop to go looking for some of that Berghain style sound, check out hardwax.com. They are one of the most well respected record shops in the world, and for good reason. Opened by Basic Channel, world renown techno artist always make it a priority to shop there whenever they're in Berlin. I also agree with what everyone else is saying about 1-1 1/2 hour sets, and love/appreciate those longer 2-4 hour sets that afford Djs the ability to take the listener(s) on a journey.

disparate
01-14-2014, 10:53 AM
If you want a nice shop to go looking for some of that Berghain style sound, check out hardwax.com. They are one of the most well respected record shops in the world, and for good reason. Opened by Basic Channel, world renown techno artist always make it a priority to shop there whenever they're in Berlin. I also agree with what everyone else is saying about 1-1 1/2 hour sets, and love/appreciate those longer 2-4 hour sets that afford Djs the ability to take the listener(s) on a journey.

For sure, Hardwax is one of my main sources for digging, I listen to pretty much every new release that they put up on their website and always pop into the shop if I'm in Berlin. I also mail order from them sometimes, the flat rate shipping to the UK becomes cost effective if I'm buying a big pile of records ;)

It's not all "Berghain techno" at Hardwax, but it's certainly not the worst place to look for it. It's mostly a vinyl shop but if you're a digital Dj you should still get some good tips, and they do sell a few releases on digital format as well.

fat8ack
01-15-2014, 03:05 PM
I have been stuck on hardwax all day now........I believe I will be spending a lot of time and money here now.

Thank you.

Jdaddy
01-15-2014, 09:25 PM
I have been stuck on hardwax all day now........I believe I will be spending a lot of time and money here now.

Thank you.

Glad that worked out for you. If I had more money to spend I'd be in the same boat. So many great tracks I wish I had on vinyl. Another site that you may like is boomkat.com. They tend to have some pretty good recommendations. If you're simply going the mp3 route for some tracks, amazon has a surprisingly huge amount of techno mp3s for sale at 89-99 cents.

Mahatma Coat
02-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Its Rolling Stone, but actually some really credible selections:

The Essential Berghain Playlist (http://m.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-essential-berghain-playlist-20140206)

disparate
02-16-2014, 06:07 AM

The Essential Berghain Playlist (http://m.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-essential-berghain-playlist-20140206)

That's surprisingly on-point, given the slightly gushing nature of the article that accompanied it. I guess I'd call it more of a combined Berghain/Panorama Bar playlist because of the house selections but it's a decent introduction to the sounds you might hear there.

fat8ack
02-17-2014, 09:25 AM

I had already bought like 6 of those tracks......lol