PDA

View Full Version : Turntabilist...does your wrist joint ever hurt after scratching/beatjuggling?

Suprarick
12-03-2013, 08:54 PM
What's up you guys? I've been deejaying for seven years now and I've really gotten serious about scratching and beat juggling this year. Only thing is, I'm starting to get a dull pain on the outside of my arm where the wrist meets the fore-arm. Has this happened to any of you all? I'm sure it's from pulling the record back so many times...this sucks! I'm wondering if any of the pro's encounter wrist pain from practicing too much.

TheRabbitMonk
12-03-2013, 09:01 PM
it will pass. as your actions will get better and less stress on your arms. it's all in the fingers. try walking the record back instead of spinning back.

Jimanee
12-04-2013, 04:51 AM
Or it will get inflamed/ worse. I've struggled with RSI for years, quick advice: you need to actively rest your hands, watch more tv, do less gaming.

What fixed it for me, was building up the muscles in my fore arms doing weights. Though, obviously, you need to rest till the pain goes away before you would do this, not really a short term fix.

TheRabbitMonk
12-04-2013, 08:19 AM
Ha ha gaming exactly what I thought made everything worse. I play much less x box now as well for this reason.

Lowercase
12-04-2013, 11:36 AM
try raising / lowering the table too. im a metalworker and have really bad repetitive strain in my wrist (tendonitis) as i swing a hammer 8 hours a day. wrest it, ice , and make sure your arms are bent at a near 90 degree angle when practicing.

there's a reason why all workbenches are 90cm tall ;) optimimum height.

Suprarick
12-04-2013, 11:41 AM
thanks guys. I think I need to use just my fingers more often when I'm scratching. I tend to bring the record back with my whole hand frequently and I probably should start using just the forward/reverse finger motion with my wrist somewhat in-place. Who knows, I may find some cool patterns.

Ocie
12-04-2013, 01:21 PM
thanks guys. I think I need to use just my fingers more often when I'm scratching. I tend to bring the record back with my whole hand frequently and I probably should start using just the forward/reverse finger motion with my wrist somewhat in-place. Who knows, I may find some cool patterns.

Great way to look at it. You can definitely develop a more distinct style that'll set you apart by compensating.

akswun
12-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Really it comes down to getting your muscles used to doing these movements. Its pretty much like working out. You start off with lighter weights but eventually you get stronger and then have to up the ante as your muscles can deal with that weight. With scratching its all about repetition and muscle memory. The pain will go away and next thing you know chirps are the easiest thing in the world. When my muscles get tired after scratching for long periods I know that I'm doing it right. Because its various motions I haven't done, ever, I know if I do it enough it'll be less fatiguing

AllEyesOnG
12-08-2013, 01:37 PM
I get this way from time to time... typing on a keyboard has been the biggest cause of this for me. I stopped typing on my pc so much and rested my hands periodically. Also dont tense up at all... that is a trigger also!

Suprarick
12-12-2013, 12:23 PM
This sucks!!! Still having problems at the side of my wrist. This doesn't seem like a muscle issue but more a ligament issue (connecting the wrist to forearm at the outer side of the wrist). I may consider one day getting a tight brace for my wrist, but in the mean time I'll continue wrist stretches and new techniques. Definitely just using hand movements as apart from whole arm movements is helping. This pain is definitely affecting my scratch style but I've learned new scratch techniques as a consequence of the pain.

Bottom line:
We are only human

TheRabbitMonk
12-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Just rest it my friend. your talking about the muscle between your wrist and elbow on the outside of your arm. Mine use to wreck as well.

I work on a pc for 11 hours, then x box for 2 and then whatever practice I do.
just rest your arms, it's the nature of anything. If you use it to much it becomes fatigued.

Jimanee
12-12-2013, 04:25 PM
This sucks!!! Still having problems at the side of my wrist. This doesn't seem like a muscle issue but more a ligament issue (connecting the wrist to forearm at the outer side of the wrist).

Sounds like it's getting inflamed mate, Ibuprofen reduces inflammation, maybe get some ice on it (not all the time) too. Do stretch, but don't over do it as it can inflame the ligament again. Above all rest it now!

There are levels worse it can get, numbness, followed by spasms. The recovery from that is a lot longer....

Sigma
12-14-2013, 11:42 PM
The advice given in this thread is good. You definitely don't want to ignore pain past that initial "using muscles I haven't used before" burn in period.

Several years ago, I was in kinda the same position. I had a test to see if I had carpal tunnel syndrome which came back negative and since then I have been really careful, as my condition was solely caused by overuse of my hands/wrists (and not just for wanking, you pervs!).

Stretching and doing exercises that strengthen the wrists can help, but don't push it.

Vernski
12-15-2013, 10:03 PM
The advice given in this thread is good. You definitely don't want to ignore pain past that initial "using muscles I haven't used before" burn in period.

Several years ago, I was in kinda the same position. I had a test to see if I had carpal tunnel syndrome which came back negative and since then I have been really careful, as my condition was solely caused by overuse of my hands/wrists (and not just for wanking, you pervs!).

Stretching and doing exercises that strengthen the wrists can help, but don't push it.

:fap::fap::fap:There are conflicting arguments whether this actually helps or hinders your current condition:fap::fap::fap::lol:

Seriously though, I play tennis and the issues you are talking about are similar regarding pain around the wrist and forearm. What you may have is an overuse injury where those areas are inflamed and the best solution in the short term is rest. This allows your wrist to recover and once discomfort goes away, I would think about gradually incorporating some light exercises in order to strengthen your problem area.

First port of call would be to see a doctor or physio and they can assess your situation.

Here's an example of some exercises that I did when I started playing tennis again after a 7 year layoff. You can do it at home while you're chilling out.....Along with some gentle stretching, it should have you back on track.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4774033474324533&pid=1.7

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5012434175983966&w=250&h=135&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

Do these kind of exercises so your comfortable with the workload, it shouldn't be a punishing session. Just a small period of time to zero in on strengthening parts of your wrist and forearm.

Only do exercises like these if you are experiencing no pain, these exercises should feel kind of good but not painful. If there's pain, stop that exercise and try something different that allows you to strengthen without the pain.

You may have to ration your time on the turntables during your recovery/rehab and pay attention to any pain or discomfort.

Like parts of our body everywhere, there are usually several muscle groups working together and when a certain muscle group isn't quite up to scratch other muscles begin to compensate and injuries/soreness can occur. By increasing your overall strength in your forearm and wrist, you may find that your problem will disappear.

Suprarick
12-17-2013, 01:32 AM
Thank you all. I'll rest up and will practice the other side so I can be one of the (hopefully one day) ambidextrous scratch dj's haha.

You all are awesome

Catch22
12-17-2013, 06:17 AM
Thank you all. I'll rest up and will practice the other side so I can be one of the (hopefully one day) ambidextrous scratch dj's haha.

You all are awesome

Get a bag of ice and press against your wrist so it gets right between the joint. I've done this and it helps wonders! Do it for 5-10 minutes.

DJ_Apex
01-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Whole body strengthening and stretching. You'd be surprised how much stretching out your back/neck/shoulders helps your arm muscles work more effectively. I highly recommend stretching all the limbs you use regularly in the opposite direction that you use them regularly. I play soccer a lot and have knee pain, and quad strengthening/hamstring stretching has worked wonders. Just keep in mind that everything in your body is under tension so stretching muscles to make them retract and strengthening so they can contract will solve lots of issues.