PDA

View Full Version : Are there any good alternative to the LS801PB that are smaller

DJWaugh
03-09-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm looking for something that's even remotely comparable to my LS801PBs. I have two of them and they are a bitch to move anywhere. I'm wondering if there are any smaller subs that have anywhere near the capability of the Yorkies? I was looking at ksubs, and noticed they go lower, have about the same SPL and are a million times smaller. It seems like the spec sheet has to be lying though. How can they go lower being 12" than an 18"? Also, how can they be louder in that little enclosure with less wattage? I need help. :cry:

I'm breaking my back with the 801s, but don't want to trade down if I'm going to lose a lot of my bass quality. Even if I never even get to run them past 25% power at any venue. :lol:

Incognito
03-09-2012, 05:39 PM
You're reading specs wrong, the Ksub is -6db at 48hz & has a peak of 130db (real world will fall short of both since it's -3db will be well above 50hz & the real SPL will be around the mid 120db region), nowhere even close to the potential of the LS801.

DJWaugh
03-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Gotcha. But the question stands: "Are there anything that can even touch the 801s?" I bought them based on EVERYONE's raving reviews of them on DJF 1.0 and I love them, have NO complaints on build quality, sound quality, warranty, ANYTHING. They are just a pain in the ass to move and require me to FIND someone every time I have a gig, I don't like doing that. I don't even know how I'd offload them onto someone else unless they were somewhere around Pittsburgh, Columbus, Washington D.C, or western Maryland and would meet me half way somewhere to load them into their vehicle from mine and pay in advance. That's a whole 'nother ballgame, though. If there is nothing even close, I suppose I'll suffer through the weight.

Bill Fitzmaurice
03-09-2012, 05:52 PM
seems like the spec sheet has to be lying though.:If there's no SPL chart there are no specs. However, QSC seems relatively honest, posting a -10dB figure of 44Hz says it barely qualifies as a true subwoofer, and that takes guts to admit at that price.
As to how KSubs stack up against the big boys, this is informative:
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14238

windspeed36
03-09-2012, 06:40 PM
The JBL VRX918SP and QSC KW181 are about the only subs off the top of my head that comes close. The QSC does 135dB Peak (calculated) and the VRX 126dB (measured in freespace so +6dB for real world)

Paris McBryde
03-11-2012, 10:59 PM
dont bother waiting your time because theres no small alternative to the LS801PB. the only option is to buy 2 smaller subs to equal 1 LS801PB.

Incognito
03-12-2012, 12:20 AM
Yorkville LS801P
http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=2&id=382
134db continuous , +/-3db to 45hz & weighs 137.3 pounds

There are options available to you that will perform as the Yorkville (they will also have a better sound quality doing so) & still come in weighing less (there are also other options but just to list a few...) :

FTB Mitus 118SA
http://www.fbt.it/ENG/PAE/PRODOTTI/LINE-ARRAY/MITUS/Mitus-118-/index.asp
http://www.fbt.it/ENG/PAE/DOWNLOADS/User-manua/MITUS--ita_uk.pdf
135db continuous, -6db to 36hz & weighs 103 pounds.

FTB Promax 15SA
http://www.fbtusa.net/files/Pro_Maxx_15sa_Sub_combined_PDF.pdf
132db continuous, -6db to 38hz & weighs 65 pounds

If you're willing to go passive there are options that will get you the performance that you want in a smaller package & weigh in far less then the Yorkville such as:

JTR Growler
http://jtrspeakers.com/portable/growler/
133db continuous, +/-3db 41hz & weighs 88 pounds

There are also other options but just to list a few...

audiopyle
03-12-2012, 12:55 PM
In a side-by-side comparison I think the LS801P will stomp on all the subs just mentioned. I have compared it to Growlers, TH-Mini, 4PRO8001, EX2.2, dB Digital18, FBT Maxx10SA, and others and they don't compete. I personally think it sounds pretty decent, too.

Incognito
03-12-2012, 03:23 PM
In a side-by-side comparison I think the LS801P will stomp on all the subs just mentioned. I have compared it to Growlers, TH-Mini, 4PRO8001, EX2.2, dB Digital18, FBT Maxx10SA, and others and they don't compete. I personally think it sounds pretty decent, too.

Yep, for the same reason subs seem to sound good with "bass activators, exciters, etc." .. high distortion levels, but for clean articulate, accurate bass the LS801P just doesn't compete, it also has an inherent flaw from the dated scoop design it is based on (along with flaws it also got from it's close design cousin the CV horn). Going loud is not hard to do, just go big, go power hungry & throw audio quality out the window (the LS801P has all those covered).

Now break out the SPL meter, spectrum analyser, SMAART & have a real subjective listening party & all the flaws I pointed out will become very apparent.

jazzyj
03-12-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to fit the LS801P in my Prius... once I do that, I'm set for life..

djfaceatl
03-12-2012, 03:31 PM
To the OP
What exactly is the trouble when moving the subs??? Is it the weight or is it the height?
I have a friend who stands 6'2 and his complaint was moving them. When checking it out, it seems as if the trouble he had was that since they are awkwardly short, he has to bend down too much to move them
We came up with 2 different solutions
1 was to put them on their side on a dolly and stack em 2 high to move them. Very easy to move but a little harder to get one on top of the other
The second solution was that he used pipes and made a t-handle. Basically he screws it in and then just tilts it back to move it like a hand truck. He uses that solution
Another option would be to use a hand truck. For me, they are not that heavy. But that is only because I am used to moving big double 18" subs that are not neo.

Good luck

GaFFLe
03-12-2012, 05:17 PM
I'm looking for something that's even remotely comparable to my LS801PBs...

Sure, you can be "remotely comparable" but you'll definitely have to double up on the other subs. The LS801P's, as you know, are very loud and boomy. Barring sound quality, most other single-driver 15" or 18" powered subs are anemic in comparison in a one-to-one comparison.

Why don't you simply buy one lesser sub for your smaller events and save the LS801P's for your big gigs? I think you'll experience a lot of red peak lights and more enclosures if trying to take a step towards lighter and more compact.

Yorkville LS801P
http://www.yorkville.com/products.as...9&cat=2&id=382
134db continuous , +/-3db to 45hz & weighs 137.3 pounds

There are options available to you that will perform as the Yorkville (they will also have a better sound quality doing so) & still come in weighing less (there are also other options but just to list a few...) :
"Perform as the Yorkville"... Using the words "perform as" is pretty vague and can have many interpretations.

IMO, you're partially right when you consider their sound quality but, the Yorkvilles are monstrous in enclosure size, have big power and these factors show in their output. These listed powered boxes, with their compact, band-pass designs, are doing nothing special to put them on par with the LS801P. I'd take their dB claims with a grain of salt. The KSub is a band-pass design and sounds horrible IMO... all BP designs I've ever heard seemed lacking.

I'm not gonna guess on the Growler. It's passive and horn-loaded, sounds great and seems pretty capable from what I've read. I've seen reviews on them in comparison to some Yorkville designs but I'm not sure if it was the LS80xP.

Incognito
03-12-2012, 06:05 PM
"Perform as the Yorkville"... Using the words "perform as" is pretty vague and can have many interpretations.

IMO, you're partially right when you consider their sound quality but, the Yorkvilles are monstrous in enclosure size, have big power and these factors show in their output. These listed powered boxes, with their compact, band-pass designs, are doing nothing special to put them on par with the LS801P. I'd take their dB claims with a grain of salt. The KSub is a band-pass design and sounds horrible IMO... all BP designs I've ever heard seemed lacking.

I'm not gonna guess on the Growler. It's passive and horn-loaded, sounds great and seems pretty capable from what I've read. I've seen reviews on them in comparison to some Yorkville designs but I'm not sure if it was the LS80xP.

Well you're correct on the whole interpretation issue once you consider how easy it is to fool the human ear.

A band pass design puts out a lot of SPL with in it's frequency range & the sound quality is no worse then that of the LS801P all things considered.

There are actually three generations of the Growler, the first put out a continuous 130db & so the LS801P would be louder then that version. The 2nd version had a all new redesign of the driver with double the power handling & a few cabinet tweaks in design thus raising the continuous SPL to 133db (at the expense of the flatter response of the earlier model). There is a newer 2012 version that has yet another driver redesign & cabinet tweaks that has seen the continuous power handling of the driver increase yet again but even with this new found massive power handling Jeff still rates the new version on the old driver spec (I guess to keep people from pushing the limits of the new driver to the point of failure). Either way the Growler has the same SPL output as the LS801P, it has a lower frequency response, a flatter response (thus why you see them used by audiophiles as well), smaller design, weighs in 49.3 pounds less then the LS801P & honestly the LS801P is just simply outclassed by the Growler.

Paris McBryde
03-12-2012, 09:03 PM

+ 1
I have yet to find anything in its price range that's comparable spl wise.....

Incognito
03-12-2012, 09:42 PM
+ 1
I have yet to find anything in its price range that's comparable spl wise.....

Already named a few but if you like Yorkville then try the UCS1P as far as price is concerned & in the lower frequency range it trumps the LS801P, SPL wise it's a tie.

Paris McBryde
03-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Yep, for the same reason subs seem to sound good with "bass activators, exciters, etc." .. high distortion levels, but for clean articulate, accurate bass the LS801P just doesn't compete, it also has an inherent flaw from the dated scoop design it is based on (along with flaws it also got from it's close design cousin the CV horn). Going loud is not hard to do, just go big, go power hungry & throw audio quality out the window (the LS801P has all those covered).

Now break out the SPL meter, spectrum analyser, SMAART & have a real subjective listening party & all the flaws I pointed out will become very apparent.
luckily for me , my clients are not audiophiles nor do they carry spectrum analyzers or SMAART to my events :lol:and they listen to the system at the events an they all love the sound of the yorkville ls801sp. Now who am i to tell them what to like ? They're happy so im happy.....
I also do sound system rentals for djs so from time to time I will show up at gigs with Demo subs.....I have compared the Growlers '08, jbl vrx918sp,
jbl618 xlf, qsc kw181,RCF 4PRO8001AS vs yorkville ls801sp 1 to 1. Now as great as all these subs sound at lower volumes compared to the yorkville ls801sp, NONE of my clientele or DJs cared or even NOTICED:(. They ALL preferred the yorkville ls801sp because it stomps on all the other subs.
Reality Check, DJs and 99% of the people we play for are NOT audiophiles so from the $$$$ side of things this sub cant be beat......YET.

unsafe8989
03-12-2012, 11:58 PM
I mean I would go with these I think that they handle well if powered correctly 138 db continous?
www.peavey.com/assets/literature/specs/00571310_3.pdf

unsafe8989
03-13-2012, 12:02 AM
These get loud as well but Most of you aren't CV fans www.cerwinvega.com/pro-audio/folded-horn-subwoofer/TS-42.html

windspeed36
03-13-2012, 02:51 AM
21" horns aren't the greatest for sound quality because they often flap if pushed and generally have a very boomy sound

Incognito
03-13-2012, 06:35 AM
luckily for me , my clients are not audiophiles nor do they carry spectrum analyzers or SMAART to my events :lol:and they listen to the system at the events an they all love the sound of the yorkville ls801sp. Now who am i to tell them what to like ? They're happy so im happy.....
I also do sound system rentals for djs so from time to time I will show up at gigs with Demo subs.....I have compared the Growlers '08, jbl vrx918sp,
jbl618 xlf, qsc kw181,RCF 4PRO8001AS vs yorkville ls801sp 1 to 1. Now as great as all these subs sound at lower volumes compared to the yorkville ls801sp, NONE of my clientele or DJs cared or even NOTICED:(. They ALL preferred the yorkville ls801sp because it stomps on all the other subs.
Reality Check, DJs and 99% of the people we play for are NOT audiophiles so from the $$$$ side of things this sub cant be beat......YET.

Most of your clients still think scoops are great subs, feed a man nothing but dog food & that's all he knows & craves. Expose that same man to grade a meat & he'll never look back to dog food.

I personally have proven this since remember we come from the same background & cater to the same kind of crowd, while at first people where hesitant to give the small subs I was exposing them to a chance (at that time it was the Tuba 30) because they where used to my (as well as other peoples) large subs. I actually had people who said they hated them (the Tubas) at first, that was when they herd the system by itself. It wasn't until my first clash with them against your traditional subs that people fell in love With them saying they never knew how good the songs they have listened to 1,000 times over sounded (or what details actually where in the songs outside of just boom, boom, boom) or more to the point how awful the sound systems they had become accustomed to actually sounded.

Since this time I have seen my range of clientele raise exponentially outside as well as with in my traditional line up of clients after the first summer of my showcasing that system & it's potential so I can owe a lot to opening the eyes & ears of people who had become accustomed to mediocre as being the standard by which they should accept to the range of higher quality cutting edge subs available on the market today (the LS801P is based off of the mind set & design of systems from the 80's but adds the power handling of today into the picture, this is why it gets loud but still has that same 80's sound to it).

Remember the version of Growlers you had (08') where the old 130db version so yes the LS801P would seem louder when compared to that version.

As for the LS801p, there is a guy who owns a couple of the older LS800P used here & his was a system I had went head to head with a couple of summers ago (actually it was a friend that reminded me of this since I actually was thinking it was CV horns used but my memory must of served me wrong on that) & the only thing I remember about that system was it being loud with a lot of boom & nothing else (the fact that I don't remember his system much tells you how much business this guy now does). So while their loud they have nothing else going for them, that said the Growlers are just as loud but sound worlds better doing so, weigh much less, go deeper, are cheaper. You could pick up four Growlers & two Peavey IPR 3000 amps with $1,000 to spare for the cost of four LS8001P subs & end up with a much better all around system. Heck, there are a number of DIY designs that would come in far cheaper & outperform the LS801 with no problems so really nothing special going on for the LS801 unless all your concerned about is going loud but as I stated there are a number of other subs on the market that are just as loud & sound worlds better doing so & if you're really into that distorted sound then you can always turn on the harmonics effect found on many DSP to degade your sound to the levels of the LS801.

Paris McBryde
03-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Hmmm.....do you read anything I write or do you just start typing? Lol

audiopyle
03-13-2012, 10:00 AM
...As for the LS801p, there is a guy who owns a couple of the older LS800P used here & his was a system I had went head to head with a couple of summers ago (actually it was a friend that reminded me of this since I actually was thinking it was CV horns used but my memory must of served me wrong on that) & the only thing I remember about that system was it being loud with a lot of boom & nothing else (the fact that I don't remember his system much tells you how much business this guy now does)....

What other experience do you have with the LS800P or LS801P?

Incognito
03-13-2012, 03:39 PM
What other experience do you have with the LS800P or LS801P?

The LS800P is the system that was used for the beach parties I referred to earlier, by the end of that summer the LS800P system wasn't in demand any more. So my exposure to these cabinets span the course of one summer a few years ago, I actually had a conversation with the owner of the cabinets on the topic because he himself didn't know there was a difference until exposed to it (though he never corrected me each time I referred to them as CV horns, lol).

Incognito
03-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Hmmm.....do you read anything I write or do you just start typing? Lol

Yes, actually if you go point by point you'll see each is in direct reply to what you had written.

Paris McBryde
03-14-2012, 03:16 PM
The LS800P is the system that was used for the beach parties I referred to earlier, by the end of that summer the LS800P system wasn't in demand any more. So my exposure to these cabinets span the course of one summer a few years ago, I actually had a conversation with the owner of the cabinets on the topic because he himself didn't know there was a difference until exposed to it (though he never corrected me each time I referred to them as CV horns, lol).
So I think it would be fair to say you have NO PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE with the
Yorkville ls801.....smh
Anyway, I once had a sound clash with a far superior sound system. The only reason I won is because the man running the system had no clue how to properly tune it. I learned a long time ago a system is only as good as the man behind it. So a good system can sound like shit if you don't no what your doing. I could have made an unfounded determination about this system but my experience would not allow it.

Incognito
03-14-2012, 03:51 PM
So I think it would be fair to say you have NO PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE with the
Yorkville ls801.....smh
Anyway, I once had a sound clash with a far superior sound system. The only reason I won is because the man running the system had no clue how to properly tune it. I learned a long time ago a system is only as good as the man behind it. So a good system can sound like shit if you don't no what your doing. I could have made an unfounded determination about this system but my experience would not allow it.

A whole summer competing against it would give me plenty of exposure to it to know it's performance potential, especially after giving him tips on his system & by the third or fourth weekend he did have help from someone that I respect as far as being knowledgeable in the audio world to try & tune his system for him. After a conversation on the topic it was agreed the characteristics of the subs itself was what was holding the over all system back. He did have good tops though, the Yorkville unity U215 tops (though I personally would of gone for the U15), it was just the subs that where letting him down but they did get loud, I give them that (just a lot of boom without much detail which is probably why I had it stuck in my head that he had CV horns since it shared close to those characteristics & then there was the whole time alignment issue of the LS800P design which is the same issue found with scoops). I know he put his subs up on the auction block because he wanted to switch on over to the Yorkville UCS1 subs instead but not 100% sure of the outcome of that.

Paris McBryde
03-14-2012, 06:58 PM
why the U15 over the unity U215 tops ?
I have learned the secret to correcting the boomy-ness of the ls801 is simple Eqing. This will give you a better balance of sq without trading too much spl. So while my jbl 918sp or your growlers have better sq than the ls801p, it is by no means is a deal breaker when properly eq'd. I have considered upgrading to all jbl 918sp ($1500) but at 2-3 times the price of the ls801p($1000)(I own 6) to achieve the same desired spl just doesn't make good business sense........ at this time.:(

Incognito
03-14-2012, 09:51 PM
The point of the dual 15 is to deliver bass to make up for the lack of a sub, once you start crossing out the frequency range the 2nd 15 was designed for you have successfully made the point of a dual 15" redundant. The dual 15 would require staging or some type or rigging to get them up to ear height if you was looking to achieve any true form of stereo imagery where as a pair of tri-pods would work perfect for a pair of the single 15" tops. Anything less then a 3db gain isn't really worth the investment & there is only a 2db difference between the U15 & the U215 so you're not gaining any notable SPL between the two. So no use of the added frequency range of the U215 when used with subs, no real SPL gain, restricted set up options, heavier weight to lug around, large pack space required all for no real gains when used with subs thus makes the U15 the more practical option when used in conjunction with subs. Even when not used with subs there is only a 5hz difference between the two with the U15 achieving +/-3db to 50hz so it's still very capable on it's own without a sub.

You may be able to tame the boominess with a lot of EQ but it still wouldn't make it sound musical since an EQ can't even start to fix the design flaws of the cabinet design & actually there isn't anything to fix the short comings (look up the short comings of a scoop to understand what I am referring to). The cabinet is designed to go loud, nothing more & that's where & only where it delivers & shines but it's not like it's the only sub to reach into the 134db range with in it's price point. Do a little study into distortion levels & it's effects on perceived loudness you'll see where the illusion of these cabinets comes to light as to why they may seem louder then an equally SPL rated speaker (can't see the breeze right? well let a little smoke into the room & you'll clearly see it in full effect, well there you go) but that also adds to the whole none musical sound effect. Is the design a total loss? No, those who love that car stereo boom with no care for what the songs their listening to is really supposed to sound like as long as it's loud & hits them in their chest will like these (that is until they get exposed to a system that is delivering true clean bass & realise exactly what they have been missing all this time).

The jbl 918sp only delivers 132db peak (maybe 129db continuous) so it doesn't deliver the same SPL as the LS801P so shouldn't be expected to go as loud but it will still sound better over all without having to EQ the hell out of your mix.

audiopyle
03-15-2012, 02:52 AM
The U215 is a better sounding speaker than the U15, period. The second woofer is not there to make it useable without a sub. It is there to substantially bolster the low & mid bass that the U15 lacks, which is an improvement even when the cabinet is crossed over to a sub. So it may be just a couple dB more total output, but the increase also improves the sound quality. The spacing of the two woofers also imparts a little directivity to the lower frequencies, again a better match to the very efficient unity horn.

Regarding the "illusion" of loudness of the LS800P, it is interesting how that illusion thumps you in the chest and makes stuff fall off the shelves.

Incognito
03-15-2012, 05:24 AM
The U215 is a better sounding speaker than the U15, period. The second woofer is not there to make it useable without a sub. It is there to substantially bolster the low & mid bass that the U15 lacks, which is an improvement even when the cabinet is crossed over to a sub. So it may be just a couple dB more total output, but the increase also improves the sound quality. The spacing of the two woofers also imparts a little directivity to the lower frequencies, again a better match to the very efficient unity horn.

Regarding the "illusion" of loudness of the LS800P, it is interesting how that illusion thumps you in the chest and makes stuff fall off the shelves.
The 2db has nothing to do with improving sound quality, it's the interaction of the drivers that achieves that not that 2db, you will not even notice that 2db.

The meagre midbass gained from the U215 doesn't justify the extra weight, cost, pack size, restricted setup options, over the U15 when used with subs.

The 134db (134db of bass will rattle things no matter what) is there just as it is on other subs mentioned, it's the perceived loudness due to the distortion levels of the LS801P making it seam louder (at the heavy expense of sound quality) then another subr producing the exact same SPL. Come you know this...

audiopyle
03-15-2012, 10:08 AM
The 2db has nothing to do with improving sound quality, it's the interaction of the drivers that achieves that not that 2db, you will not even notice that 2db.

The meagre midbass gained from the U215 doesn't justify the extra weight, cost, pack size, restricted setup options, over the U15 when used with subs.

I have used these cabinets, and the difference between the U15 and U215 sound quality and output is very noticeable. The weight, cost, etc of the U215 is certainly justified if the form and performance of the cabinet fit the venue where it is used. Just because it doesn't work FOR YOU does not mean it is useless for others.

The 134db (134db of bass will rattle things no matter what) is there just as it is on other subs mentioned, it's the perceived loudness due to the distortion levels of the LS801P making it seam louder (at the heavy expense of sound quality) then another subr producing the exact same SPL. Come you know this...

Use a meter on it. You may have your opinion about sound quality, but your denial of the actual loudness of the LS801P compared to EVERY other MI sub it is compared against lacks credibilty.

Incognito
03-15-2012, 04:45 PM
I have used these cabinets, and the difference between the U15 and U215 sound quality and output is very noticeable. The weight, cost, etc of the U215 is certainly justified if the form and performance of the cabinet fit the venue where it is used. Just because it doesn't work FOR YOU does not mean it is useless for others.

Use a meter on it. You may have your opinion about sound quality, but your denial of the actual loudness of the LS801P compared to EVERY other MI sub it is compared against lacks credibilty.
If you scroll through my post it was MY PERSONAL OPINION & I stated it as that (however the fact is anything under 3db isn't worth it), it was then asked my I would choose the single over the double thus I replied..... Go back & reread the post yourself.

I have given the LS801P recognition the only good quality it has a number of times on this thread, it's good for going loud... that it.. There is no way around the design flaws of the cabinet, the horn length is far too short for the design, the tuning has it's focal point around certain frequencies thus leading to the boominess effect & there's the whole phase alignment issue of the direct radiator vs the horn mouth which also brings issue of time alignment into the picture plus the fact the cabinet doesn't do too well reproducing multiple frequencies at the same time but does produce a higher level of distortion levels that colours the over all sound that it does produce.

Al Poulin
03-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Of course the LS801P isn't perfect BUT it does produce an incredible amount of low frequency energy for its price - making it one of the best values out there in powered subwoofers and a very good and popular choice. It is backed by one of the best companies when it comes to customer service and comes with one of the best warranties out there on top of that.

99% of people will not care (or even notice) if its response is not as accurate as some other subs because the 801P does do what a sub is supposed to do : and that is fill in the lower octaves of sound that a pair of tops on stands can not produce well. This is not an expensive home theatre or audiophile sub and does not claim to be. FWIW, I find the 801P sounds just fine - since you can modify its sound by adjusting for a deeper or tighter response. (proper setting of the gain so that it does not overwhelm the tops is also something that some users might not be too good at ;)). Finally, a slight reduction at approx. 80hz does help its overall sound (I have heard) for those who might not get the sound they want with adjustments on the sub itself.

The LS801P is for those who want bass and lots of it - at the best possible price. For those who don't mind moving it and can fit it in their vehicles, it can represent an outstanding value.

Al

Incognito
03-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Of course the LS801P isn't perfect BUT it does produce an incredible amount of low frequency energy for its price - making it one of the best values out there in powered subwoofers and a very good and popular choice. It is backed by one of the best companies when it comes to customer service and comes with one of the best warranties out there on top of that.

99% of people will not care (or even notice) if its response is not as accurate as some other subs because the 801P does do what a sub is supposed to do : and that is fill in the lower octaves of sound that a pair of tops on stands can not produce well. This is not an expensive home theatre or audiophile sub and does not claim to be. FWIW, I find the 801P sounds just fine - since you can modify its sound by adjusting for a deeper or tighter response. (proper setting of the gain so that it does not overwhelm the tops is also something that some users might not be too good at ;)). Finally, a slight reduction at approx. 80hz does help its overall sound (I have heard) for those who might not get the sound they want with adjustments on the sub itself.

The LS801P is for those who want bass and lots of it - at the best possible price. For those who don't mind moving it and can fit it in their vehicles, it can represent an outstanding value.

Al

The best class it gets is with the CV horns, why pay attention raving on how great a pair of tops sound if you're going to throw everything away with the muddiness & other short comings of the sub?

Al Poulin
03-15-2012, 10:30 PM
The best class it gets is with the CV horns, why pay attention raving on how great a pair of tops sound if you're going to throw everything away with the muddiness & other short comings of the sub?

I've heard and have used the LS801P and it's a very decent sounding sub IMO. It is too big and heavy for me, and I do think my LS720P sounds more accurate overall BUT I would not hesitate using it (if I had help moving it and actually needed its output capability). It does not sound bad or muddy IMO -certainly not as bad as you are trying to make it out to be anyway. Have you heard the new Yamaha DXS subs? Now those are crappy from a sound quality point of view. Only loud bandpassy thumps that don't sound musical or natural AT ALL and don't go low either... The LS801P sounds better to me than those and than the bandpass subs I've heard. There are definitely better souding subs BUT used at the right volume, the 801P will sound very good to MOST people. There are many people over on Harmony Central and even Prosoundweb that are fussy with their sound that are using them and are quite happy, so that should tell you something. Most of them are using it for live sound though, so maybe it performs better in this application.

Al

Incognito
03-15-2012, 10:41 PM
I've heard and have used the LS801P and it's a very decent sounding sub IMO. It is too big and heavy for me, and I do think my LS720P sounds more accurate overall BUT I would not hesitate using it (if I had help moving it and actually needed its output capability). It does not sound bad or muddy IMO -certainly not as bad as you are trying to make it out to be anyway. Have you heard the new Yamaha DXS subs? Now those are crappy from a sound quality point of view. Only loud bandpassy thumps that don't sound musical or natural AT ALL and don't go low either... The LS801P sounds better to me than those and than the bandpass subs I've heard. There are definitely better souding subs BUT used at the right volume, the 801P will sound very good to MOST people. There are many people over on Harmony Central and even Prosoundweb that are fussy with their sound that are using them and are quite happy, so that should tell you something. Most of them are using it for live sound though, so maybe it performs better in this application.

AlYet you feel the LS801p sounds natural & musical? compared to what??? I really think an ear opening experience is in call with exposure to a real sub because really the LS801P are nothing more then a boom box that goes loud. If you'e going to "use them at the right volume" then you're loosing the only redeeming quality they have going for them........

Paris McBryde
03-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Yet you feel the LS801p sounds natural & musical? compared to what??? I really think an ear opening experience is in call with exposure to a real sub because really the LS801P are nothing more then a boom box that goes loud. If you're going to "use them at the right volume" then you're loosing the only redeeming quality they have going for them........
DAM so all this time ....I thought there was a right volume for every sub ......:lol:
I'm not sure if i understand this correctly, so should they be played at the wrong volume for best results ?

Incognito
03-16-2012, 12:06 AM
DAM so all this time ....I thought there was a right volume for every sub ......:lol:
I'm not sure if i understand this correctly, so should they be played at the wrong volume for best results ?

Yet another that needs to read before typing, try scrolling back to this post that my statement was a reply to.......

The LS801P sounds better to me than those and than the bandpass subs I've heard. There are definitely better souding subs BUT used at the right volume, the 801P will sound very good to MOST people.
Al

However if you really want me to reply to this again..... If the only thing the sub has going for it is that it can get loud yet you're forced have to not take advantage of the only thing it has that makes it stand out then guess what...? You're left with the things that aren't good about the sub so what's the point???

Paris McBryde
03-16-2012, 12:40 AM
Well my understanding of the right volume would be any volume up to but not exceeding the limits which the sub was designed for. ie...clipping. So what then is your understanding?

Incognito
03-16-2012, 04:59 AM
Well my understanding of the right volume would be any volume up to but not exceeding the limits which the sub was designed for. ie...clipping. So what then is your understanding?

That you need to learn to properly run your system because if you need to run your system into clipping then you haven't bought enough rig for the gig.

Al Poulin
03-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Yet you feel the LS801p sounds natural & musical? compared to what??? I really think an ear opening experience is in call with exposure to a real sub because really the LS801P are nothing more then a boom box that goes loud. If you'e going to "use them at the right volume" then you're loosing the only redeeming quality they have going for them........

If you re-read my post, I simply stated that TO ME they sound more musical and natural than most of the bandpass type subs I've heard - that's all. As for the volume thing, I'm just talking about the fact that many new DJs will probably be using the LS801P at a level that is overwhelming the tops (because it is easy to do so) and not taking the time to adjust the gains properly between tops and sub for a balanced sound. In these cases, the 801P will indeed appear boomy and the overall system would sound muddy.

My statements are not based on extensive use of the 801P however. I have used them on one gig, in a bar - with my NX55Ps - with very good results. I prefer the sound of the 720P, but the 801P did the job just fine to fill in the low frequencies (I had the 100hz high pass on the NX tops activated) with tons of headroom to spare. (It probably could have kept up with 4 of the NX55Ps). The 801P was not near a wall or corner, but maybe if it had been the sound would have been boomier and not as good. Maybe if I had had a chance to use it more often, I might better notice what it is lacking - but overall I felt it sounded fine and had enough deep low frequency energy to be considered a true subwoofer. That is my experience...

Al

Paris McBryde
03-16-2012, 01:04 PM
[/B]

That you need to learn to properly run your system because if you need to run your system into clipping then you haven't bought enough rig for the gig.
:lol::lol::lol:
It appears you do not comprehend what I've said.
The abbreviation "ie" means "that is". Therefore clipping is "exceeding the limits which the sub was designed for". So provided that the user is not clipping the sub, he will achieve a "right volume".
Considering you actually have NO professional experience with the yorkville ls801p sub, I think it would be only fair to advise you that it can achieve VERY high output with NO clipping what so ever. With this sub you tend to always have enough rig for the gig with more to spare as compare to other subs in its range .

Incognito
03-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Considering you actually have NO professional experience with the yorkville ls801p sub, I think it would be only fair to advise you that it can achieve VERY high output with NO clipping what so ever. With this sub you tend to always have enough rig for the gig with more to spare as compare to other subs in its range .
I have stated a few times in this thread that I have a couple months experience with this sub, OVER THE COURSE OF A WHOLE SUMMER. I guess I haven't made it clear yet but I have said YES this sub can get loud, I never said you need to clip it for the sub to go loud (it was you who bought up about clipping & I responded to your statement). What you seem to fail to under stand is 134db continuous output is no louder then 133db continuous with the only difference between the two being the distortion levels of the two subs in question (the one with the higher distortion levels will give the perceived effect of being louder by the same effect that so call bass enhancers achieve this trickery of the ear but it's at the expense of sound quality).

btroupjr
11-09-2015, 10:51 AM
People seem to be confused about the distortion measurements between subs.

The Ls801P is not the same as a CV sub. The subs are loaded differently, and have completely different properties.
There is a vast difference is rear port horns vs. a true horn (like the CV or Growler). The LS801P lacks a compression chamber and distortion characteristics along the horn path of a true horn. If you have Smaart measured the LS801P, and claim that it's output is bad, please post the screenshot if you have one. We measure the LS801P live every show and it's output is quite smooth. A 6db reduction centered around 80 hz, with a mid/steep slope, smooths out the subs to a tolerable and a beneficial response pattern in nearly every environment. This feat with a frontloaded CV sub would be near impossible in my experience.

The LS801P produces a pattern more similar to a simple 2nd order front loaded cabinet, than any true horn. However; that being said, the boost in the port frequencies is substantial. It is more of a imbalance that favors the port output vs driver output, thus resulting in the measured peak centered around 80hz. This is a classed as a harmonic distortion as well and the reason why the output is greater than most MI subs on the market. A true horn has several points along the horn path that produce harmonic distortions, vs. a LS801 singular point.

Like to also mention that flat response on a sub has little use on the market and is often perceived as poor sounding. It also refutes the need for a sub in the live music market. Why use a sub when most full range cabinets are flat to 40-50 hz. Just get more quality tops if you like a flat response.

GaFFLe
11-09-2015, 02:05 PM
People seem to be confused about the distortion measurements between subs.

The Ls801P is not the same as a CV sub. The subs are loaded differently, and have completely different properties.
There is a vast difference is rear port horns vs. a true horn (like the CV or Growler). The LS801P lacks a compression chamber and distortion characteristics along the horn path of a true horn. If you have Smaart measured the LS801P, and claim that it's output is bad, please post the screenshot if you have one. We measure the LS801P live every show and it's output is quite smooth. A 6db reduction centered around 80 hz, with a mid/steep slope, smooths out the subs to a tolerable and a beneficial response pattern in nearly every environment. This feat with a frontloaded CV sub would be near impossible in my experience.

The LS801P produces a pattern more similar to a simple 2nd order front loaded cabinet, than any true horn. However; that being said, the boost in the port frequencies is substantial. It is more of a imbalance that favors the port output vs driver output, thus resulting in the measured peak centered around 80hz. This is a classed as a harmonic distortion as well and the reason why the output is greater than most MI subs on the market. A true horn has several points along the horn path that produce harmonic distortions, vs. a LS801 singular point.

Like to also mention that flat response on a sub has little use on the market and is often perceived as poor sounding. It also refutes the need for a sub in the live music market. Why use a sub when most full range cabinets are flat to 40-50 hz. Just get more quality tops if you like a flat response.

Dusty thread but here you go...

http://oi67.tinypic.com/102w5th.jpg

As to your 2nd part... I wouldn't want my full-range tops handling heavy bass down in the 40-50Hz region, especially when it's tasked to handle the remaining sound sprectrum all the way up to 16-20KHz.

prof_fate
11-09-2015, 03:24 PM
It takes a lot more power to make the bass freq - when you relieve the tops of that chore they get a lot louder. I've seen a 12-15db jump in measured output with a high pass filter at 100hz out of my 10" tops, from 90-92 to 103/105.

And to make it sound good, flat, balanced, you need to get your sub output in proportion to your top output.

From what I've read a bandpass will be louder - but peakier, than a direct/ported sub. And usually more 'distortion' -looser, floppier sounding if you prefer.

I prefer the sound of a direct/ported sub.

But it all depends on what you want or need. My 12" subs work well for gigs up to 150 people, weddings, bday parties, etc. A younger couple or larger weddings or school dance and it may be loud enough, but it's not gonna deliver what I think they expect.

But a lot of that is up to the DJ. I was a photog at a wedding of 300 people and the DJ had 2 ekx 12 tops - the way the room is laid out there were issues hearing his announcements in some places, but he had plenty pf great sound on teh dance floor and I thought he had subs it sounded that good. At a wedding in april a part time newbie dj had cheaper powered peavey tops and a new behry 18" sub. He turned everything up way too much - causing pain in your guests is not a good business plan. When 1/2 the guest go outside and nobody dances it's a hint maybe you're failing on the job. But the walls were shaking...that one sub put out some serious sound. How qualty was it? hard to say..my ears were hurting too much.

Bill Fitzmaurice
11-09-2015, 04:07 PM
As to your 2nd part... I wouldn't want my full-range tops handling heavy bass down in the 40-50Hz region, especially when it's tasked to handle the remaining sound sprectrum all the way up to 16-20KHz.+1. Even concert grade pro-touring mains in million dollar systems generally are run to only 80Hz.

robare99
11-12-2015, 02:59 PM
Buy a trailer with a rear ramp door.