PDA

View Full Version : American DJ Snow Flurry - An alternative use and a question.

rd123456
03-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have recently acquired an American DJ snow flurry machine, and found on the back, for those who aren't familiar with these units, that it has three settings, a large snowflake setting, a small snowflake setting, and a middle setting that produces no snow, and acts basically as large air blower, although it does make a substantial noise.

My idea is to make a rather cheap version of a confetti blower for a club, as the CO2 powered ones are not really suitable for the size of club, or the expertise of the staff to operate properly at the nightclub.

I know the blower may not have the same great affect as pyrotechnics or CO2, but my question would be, do you guys think operating the snow machine with no snow juice in just on the 'blow' setting, with a pipe and confetti in the end, will be detrimental to the machine, i.e. short blasts of air through the motor?

Thanks

Mystic
03-09-2012, 11:58 PM
I think you'd want to make sure it was secured very very well and that the confetti didn't get into the blower itself.

Confetti cannons are easy enough to make. Sounds like you could have a good idea if it's done right.

rd123456
03-10-2012, 05:32 AM
Mystic,

Thank you for that, I would most likely epoxy the tube over the end, sort of like a muzzle on a dog? Do you think perhaps a fine mesh at one end would prevent any confetti going back into the blower?

Thanks

Capt. Kirk
03-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Mystic,

Thank you for that, I would most likely epoxy the tube over the end, sort of like a muzzle on a dog? Do you think perhaps a fine mesh at one end would prevent any confetti going back into the blower?

Thanks

if it was a really fine mesh and the all confetti was larger than that mesh it would work.

Mystic
03-10-2012, 06:42 PM
That should work. I might even go as far as to weld it on simply because pressure can build up easy in those things.

rd123456
03-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Mystic and Capt. Kirk,

Thanks a lot for your replies and advice. Welding seems a good option as well, so that'll be the project for this weekend! Out of interest, does anyone know where large amounts of feathers could be purchased, to mix in with the confetti?

Thanks

Mystic
03-13-2012, 06:19 PM
LOL feathers? Buy cheap pillows?

Capt. Kirk
03-13-2012, 08:21 PM
You can go to a Hobby Lobby. I think they sell mass amounts of feathers for reasonable prices, plus they have like 99 percent sales all of the time.

rd123456
03-14-2012, 06:14 AM
Brilliant, thanks for that, I will investigate both ideas for purchase, and see which is the most economical! repped, so thanks for your help guys!

wilson
03-14-2012, 08:06 AM
I want to see this thing if you build it. It's a pretty genius idea if it works and holds up.

rd123456
03-14-2012, 04:24 PM
I'll post pictures up here for sure, if people are interested in the creation! One last thing guys, the remote control for the device is a 3 pin connector. Is it a simple job to extend this to make the remote control wire longer, i.e. for it to be mounted further than about 2 metres from the dj booth? Thanks again everyone

rd123456
04-10-2012, 07:34 AM
hello all!

Well I ordered a Snow Flurry, but got sent a Fogtec instead, which doesn't have the blower function! Anyhow I'm going to try and make a medium sized cannon with a glow plug and flash cotton! So I'll see how that goes!

Thanks

Mystic
04-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Now I have to warn you against this. Flash cotton is a pyrotechnic device and requires certain licensing for public performance. While I'm unsure of UK law on pyrotechnics, I'm sure there are some in place because of how dangerous pyrotechnics can be. There is absolutely 0 room for mistake when working with pyro. It requires a great amount of training and education before you even think about igniting a single effect.

Even if you're not doing this for public performance, home made pyrotechnics is just plain stupid and you'd be an idiot to try it.

rd123456
04-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Okay, thank you for that Mystic, you have perhaps saved me from any number of consequences! I shall reconsider my options, unless you guys have any ideas?

Capt. Kirk
04-10-2012, 06:01 PM
I have one, send the fogtec back and get the original snow flurry.

rd123456
04-11-2012, 03:52 AM
fogtec is already on its way back, however I can't find any UK stockists that offer the Snow Flurry apart from the one company I've already been to. Is this a supply issue?

Capt. Kirk
04-11-2012, 04:04 PM
fogtec is already on its way back, however I can't find any UK stockists that offer the Snow Flurry apart from the one company I've already been to. Is this a supply issue?

I think its just the UK transfer over of power since there are plenty for sale new here in the US. You may need to just get a US 110V version and get a converter box to transfer it to your 220V. I think since this is supposed to be a permanent install just setting the converter on top of the snow flurry would be fine. Maybe if you had the proper welding skills even unscrew the top casing of the Snow Flurry and the bottom case of the converter and just weld the two together making it permanent. You could then shorten the snow flurry plug and drill a hole in the top casing of the snow flurry just large enough for the cord to fit through so it is just a short length to the converter box and not a lot of extra cable to worry about.