PDA

View Full Version : Single Powered Speaker 250-300$ Range

Pavin
03-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Hey
I was looking to get a single powered speaker in about $250-300 range. The reason is I need somewhat of a "monitor" and if I wanted to could double as one at a gig or super small house party. I'd also be taking this along with me to college once I transfer. I'm not against buying used at all. A few I've looked at are the JBL Eons, QSC K etc. Also if it came down to it adding wouldn't be bad either!

jamie1dj
03-09-2012, 01:34 PM
i have just purchased some alto ts 112a, as a moniter that would be more than enough really nice smooth high and not bad sounding bass also light

disbjohn
03-09-2012, 02:51 PM
try and save up a little more ($450) and get an RCF ART 312A. Hit up Mike at audiopyle.com he's in California

Pavin
03-09-2012, 05:15 PM
@disbjohn: Is it that much more worth it, these will mainly be used inside my room.

@Jamie1dj: Hows the quality of build on those Altos? Never heard of that brand..

drzinc
03-09-2012, 05:49 PM
The best kept secret (http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B912NEO.aspx) in active speakers..

windspeed36
03-09-2012, 06:44 PM
The best kept secret (http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B912NEO.aspx) in active speakers..

Really? As i've said in another thread on this forum; for the same price would you go Behringer, the company with a shady past and an uncertain future or RCF, a very high quality company with a good reputation?

Pavin
03-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Haha; RCF does have a good reputation. However these aren't for parties or anything so I dont need anything super nice.

I was leaning towards JBL Eons (which I've heard and dont sound bad), some behringer products aren't horrible I've heard good things about the Eurolives..

EDIT: Or Thumps?

windspeed36
03-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Thumps are okay but they don't get very loud - max 80 people

Unknown DJ
03-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Really? As i've said in another thread on this forum; for the same price would you go Behringer, the company with a shady past and an uncertain future or RCF, a very high quality company with a good reputation?

uncertain future? are you serious? Behringer is a very successful company that owns it's own factories. They aren't going nowhere. I have a felling they are better off financially than many other companies including RCF.

Defiance
03-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Check out seismic audio PWS-10, I've been eyeballing those for months and just haven't jumped on it yet.

Pavin
03-09-2012, 09:03 PM
@ Defiance, woah those are pretty damn cheap.
With that I get a bit worried on build quality...

@Windspeed what about eons?

I'd like first hand knowledge not necesarrily just "stat-comparisons"

Defiance
03-09-2012, 09:30 PM
@ Defiance, woah those are pretty damn cheap.
With that I get a bit worried on build quality...

When they were outta stock, I called them, 1 year warranty on them, and within 30 days they will buy it back and pay shipping. If they last 1 gig, its paid off. I just want a ridiculously cheap 10 inch monitor without a piezo top. Nothing else is in the range and they haven't had a single 'scratch and dent' (aka refurbed).

windspeed36
03-09-2012, 09:31 PM
uncertain future? are you serious? Behringer is a very successful company that owns it's own factories. They aren't going nowhere. I have a felling they are better off financially than many other companies including RCF.

The reason why they are suceeding financially is because their products have a very short lifespan. I know people with Behringer mixers that have to replace them every 2 years because the faders wear out and its cheaper just to buy a new one than get it repaired.

The eons are hit and miss. Some people really like the sound and some hate them. Personally I haven't got much of a problem with them except for the Eon sub which doesn't get very loud nor deep.

I don't have much experience at all with the lower power speakers except for the RCF312's and 315's, JBL PRX612's and 15 and the K12's. I more use the higher power JBL VP series (1100w per box) then I get serious with ground stacked and flown arrays. I am however curious at the new RCF HD10A and 12A...

jamie1dj
03-10-2012, 07:35 AM
@Pavin the alto ts112a is a really nice sounding speaker its has very clear highs and a snappy bass they weigh in at 19kg and have a very tough and rugged feel to them they also use class d amps

check out the link here http://altoproaudio.com/products/ts112a

Pavin
03-10-2012, 01:29 PM
I've heard the Eons, and have personally seen the quality of JBLs. Which one would you suggest windspeed?

@Jamie1dj: its honestly the fact that they're so damn cheap that I'm scared of, will they go as loud as the JBLs?

jamie1dj
03-10-2012, 02:06 PM
before i had the altos i was using a passive system with jbl jrx 15's and the alto sound a lot more clear and the bass sounds better than just hearing a grumble noise that the jbls made.

before i purchased the altos i did phone a few shops in the uk and owners were telling me everyone they sold people have been very happy with and for the price they beat every other speaker in there price range some owners told me they are as good as mackie thumps or better

so for the price i think its a steal thats why i went and purchased and damn they sound good

Quentin Legend
03-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Our 4x 800W Hybrid speakers blew.

We just ordered 2x JBL EON 515xt's.

Expensive but looks awesome, will post a review once they arrive and when I get some spare time.

Pavin
03-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Yeah with that price it is good, however I would only be buying one...

Quentin that a bit out of my price range; I need one really bangin active speaker lol..

Would you guys suggest 12 or 15? Those arts are looking good at this time

windspeed36
03-10-2012, 04:20 PM
The RCF ART cabinet was designed for a 12" woofer but they managed to modify it slightly to accommodate the 15" driver. Overall I prefer 12" over 15" but I always run subs with my tops

Pavin
03-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Agh, too many to choose from yet aren't in the range that I want...

The others seem too cheap, while RCF a little too expensive. I just need one for my bedroom..

windspeed36
03-10-2012, 06:37 PM

The others seem too cheap, while RCF a little too expensive. I just need one for my bedroom..

If its just for bedroom use get a pair of KRK Rockit 6's. Theyre around $300 from memory and will better suit you than a full on powered cab because of the way they are designed. If you were to use a 12"+1" full range cab about 2 feet from you, you will get either very bass heavy or very high heavy sound. Whereas the KRK's are smaller so the sound 'blends together' if you get what i mean

DjAaron
03-10-2012, 07:06 PM

Look on pssl.com. They have the Mackie Thump 12" factory referbs for $199. If you are just using it in a bedroom it would be plenty for you. I had the 15" and they did good for the mobile gigs I used to do. I am even looking at these Mackies just for my garage

DJHoss
03-10-2012, 08:21 PM
I had a gig the other week, clipped my thumps with decent bass for 20 seconds straight, with clipping on every other beat all night long (5 hours). I was super impressed that they aren't gone already. They seem to have pretty solid build quality, even though they are made in china now.

Pavin
03-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Saw the 12inch Thumps on PSSL; now the question is should i spend 80$ more for the 15?

I dont need studio sound; just LOUDNESS! lol

windspeed36
03-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Saw the 12inch Thumps on PSSL; now the question is should i spend 80$ more for the 15?

I dont need studio sound; just LOUDNESS! lol

...they're not very loud

Defiance
03-11-2012, 09:49 PM
...they're not very loud

He is looking for a monitor for most the most part. Doubt a 6-8db difference is going to make that big of a difference.

DjAaron
03-11-2012, 09:50 PM
For what he is going to use they would be plenty loud.

Pavin
03-12-2012, 12:15 AM
Thats honestly the perfect price range for me; so should I dish out a little more and get the 15? Or just stick with the 12 for portability and price?

I can't imagine there being a better powered speaker for $200 shipped...

Defiance
03-12-2012, 12:56 AM
Thats honestly the perfect price range for me; so should I dish out a little more and get the 15? Or just stick with the 12 for portability and price?

I can't imagine there being a better powered speaker for $200 shipped...

Id def go for the most portable.

I haven't been impressed with Thumps that I've heard but I'd bet when just used as a monitor or not really pushed they would be just fine.

However keep in mind those seismic audio, you can send them back if you absolutely hate them, and they will pay the shipping. Worse case scenario you are out a week and you got to test a powered speaker out.

DjAaron
03-12-2012, 10:54 PM
If your only going to use them for bedroom use and maybe a small backyard party they would be fine. I had the 15" ones and used them for small backyard parties and did a wedding reception in a backyard with them. I didn't run a sub with the setup either. I liked them and they sounded pretty good but yes when pushed really hard they clip quick. I just turned down the eq's to help get them to push a little more lol

MohawkMobile
03-13-2012, 11:36 AM
I have the Seismic Audio Powered 15" cabinets and they have been very reliable. They have a good sound, good amount of volume, etc. I have also used their powered subs and passive dual 15 cabs and loved all of them. Plus they do not question anything, EVER. If you are unhappy with it in any way they will fix it. If you say, blow a tweeter (which i have not, but a friend overpowered one and did), they will ship you out a new one same day no questions asked (dont even want the old one back). Best customer service I have ever seen, hands down. They are in memphis, tn, give them a call.

SummitAudioDJ
04-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Check out these M - Audio speakers that PSSL just reduced greatly.

http://www.pssl.com/M-Audio-GSR-12-300-Watt-12-2-Way-Powered-Speake-

http://www.pssl.com/M-Audio-GSR-10-250-Watt-10-2-Way-Powered-Speake-

I just bought a pair of the GSR-10's listed above for a local venue to use for banquets , dinner music , and small parties. I demo'd them for 8 hours at moderate levels before handing them over and was pleasanlty surprised by them for the price. With the EQ set to Normal they have a very similar tone to my RCF 310A's at low to mid volumes but with a noticeable decrease in the mid and highs. Bass response was great for such a small speaker but they limit rather quickly when turning up the volume without a crossover engaged. The box is well constructed , solid, and very light. They are about the same size and weight as my old Peavey PR10's but sounded far better. For a booth monitor, bedroom DJ, small gigs, ceremonies, or backyard BBQ's they are perfect. I would imagine the 12's would be even better with the extra power and lower frequency response.

Now if you want just one great speaker then look at the RCF 312A or the EV ELX115, I have both and can't praise them enough. But for bedroom and small party use you could have a pair of the M-Audio 12's for less than 1 of the RCF's or EV's.

Pavin
04-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Wow those M-Audios are pretty cheap, how would they compare to the Thumps?

ATM I'm probably going to put this buy on hold until I can get a working mixer :/

SummitAudioDJ
04-02-2012, 02:13 PM
I have heard the 12" thumps and I will say the max output should be similar but I think the M - Audio's sound better.

DjAaron
04-03-2012, 12:40 AM
I might be heading over to pssl tomorrow and I will see if they have any of the m-audio speakers out for testing and report back if they do

Brian Sang Han
04-03-2012, 01:38 AM
art 310a $400 with stands shipped. lighter than the 312as

Pavin
04-06-2012, 12:38 PM
is that for a single one w/ stand Brian?

DJ Brian B
04-06-2012, 02:43 PM

They've built their company on imitating what others are putting out...look at the Europower amps and note the similarities to QSC RMX amps. Not to mention they mimic their competition using inferior components to cut costs, but it also cuts reliability.

Not to be a dick but you already lost this battle before you posted.

Guest One
04-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys. I found this info very usefull. I also need one monitor when dj'n.
Don't need too much or the best, just need something behind the dj booth.

Defiance
04-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks guys. I found this info very usefull. I also need one monitor when dj'n.
Don't need too much or the best, just need something behind the dj booth.

I have a seismic audio PWS-10 sitting here in front of me. Of course I can't open it and see what it sounds like as my gf decided to play a sick joke and have ti shipped to my house and making me wait until my B-day to open it. But the sole purpose I wanted one was to use a monitor. I just wanted something smooth sounding and doesn't have to be the loudest in the world. I'd assume I could do BBQs and 10-25 people gigs with a pair of them as well.