PDA

View Full Version : Question for Pioneer CDJ Nexus guys: new KEY feature and playlists

myl//hy
11-23-2013, 11:35 PM
Is there any way to use the new KEY feature from within a playlist?

I've got my Macbook Pro running Rekordbox connected to the CDJs via Pro-Link/wifi, so both my CDJs have access to my entire 5000+ song collection. (Awesome for requests!) I've setup a bunch of playlists in Rekordbox to arrange and filter my song collection -- for example, I have a playlist for "Anthems", a playlist for "Instrumentals", and a playlist for "80s & 90s remixes"; each playlist contains maybe 100 songs. When performing an (unplanned) set, I pretty much rotate through them, i.e., play one Anthem, then one Instrumental, then one 80s/90s remix, then back to Anthem. And of course I want to mix harmonically between them.

But there's no way to use the KEY feature from within playlists -- e.g., if I want an Instrumental in Aminor, the KEY feature shows me every single song in Rekordbox that's in Aminor, literally hundreds and hundreds of tracks when I only want suggested keys from the Instrumental playlist.

Cleanest workaround I can find is to put all the Anthems on one memory stick, all the Instrumentals on another memory stick, and all the 80s/90s remixes on an SD card. Or I could abandon the native KEY feature altogether and switch over to Camelot System, which is its own hot mess. How are other CDJ Nexus guys handling this? Either I'm missing something (I hope?) or this cool new KEY feature is unusable with a large library. :shrug:

Rekordbox v2.2.0, CDJ-2000 Nexus firmware 1.21

myl//hy
11-24-2013, 11:27 PM
Okay so I ended up changing over to Camelot, as it gives me a little more obvious control over a set than standard notation - I can "steer" from 2A to 5A more easily than I can from Eflat minor to C minor. And I even figured out how to get the CDJs to display my Camelot notation Comments field in the column next to Song Name, from within any playlist. Oh, and my tracks are all rated and color coded for energy level. Pretty happy with this solution, but I feel it was more in spite of the CDJ firmware and Rekordbox than because of them. They really need to work on their software quality.

Happy to describe how to set this up if anybody wants to know; it did take me a bit of poking about.

Deep N Sexy
01-08-2014, 12:39 PM
MIK - 5 - 6

Reedit the tags and import in Rekordbox, simple!

I dont like that RB or any standaloneplayer cant use FLAC as that is the best alternitive tward lossless when Wav and Aiff is noneeditable!

myl//hy
01-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Well, you gotta add Comments to the SORT menu for that usb stick in RekordBox -- that was the missing "key" for me, which is a little buried in menus. (And a few other DJs have bugged their eyes out when I showed them, so it's not real obvious.) Just wish Pioneer would use the option to use Camelot Notation {or] Standard Notation on the CDJs, even if I have to pay an extra $5 for the silly licensing, which I don't think would stand up in court anyhow. Maybe Pioneer could outsource their legal work and get this done.