PDA

View Full Version : buying an inexpensive touch screen laptop for DMX software

VJ LouNYC
11-18-2013, 12:22 PM
I want to buy a cheap touch screen laptop to use with lighting software. Can you guys recommend any?

I was looking at this http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-T100TA-C1-GR-10-1-Inch-Convertible-Touchscreen/dp/B00FFJ0HUE

Thanks in advance.

DJzrule
11-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Yeah stay well away from anything that isn't MINIMUM i3 and up processor. Atom is as powerful as computers of 5 years ago. I regret not getting an i5, but the i3 in my ASUS Q200E laptop is fine for ShowXpress.

I run ShowXpress and basic video loops through it simultaneously. If I do video, I'll get occasional lag. I would not trust a show to an Atom processor though.

VJ LouNYC
11-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the advice.

P25CT
11-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Lou I ran ShowExpress on both my CF-30 with the Core2duo and even the CF-29. The 30 is ultra stable with win7 and even with second monitor with the 3D Viewer she does fine. The 29 stable, but only in live mode. If running strictly on Live mode (your scene and macro buttons) it's perfect.

I may be making the move to Elation Compushow. Not very high only list of things to do right now unless I sell the Chauvet box. I just picked up the ShowExpress 512 box a few months back. Heck of a setup. Programmed the fallback scene into its memory, computer goes and the backup scene plays until you get it running again. No catastrophic blackouts due to computer failures!

Not too long ago I saw a touch screen 19" monitor for under 200$. It was on one of the online big computer stores. I guess if you set it up in a at a type case with a small PC it would work pretty good.

Another touchscreen option is the Motorola MW810. The later versions have the Core2Duo. Can be had for small $$.

Those are alternatives to Consumer Off the Shelf PCs.

Even though the CF30 or 29 doesn't have a faster processor, by its nature it's super stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

VJ LouNYC
11-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks Chris. I'll look into it.

DJzrule
11-18-2013, 07:01 PM
A Core 2 Duo is really pushing it. I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole at this point. i3 and i5 laptops are too cheap at this point to warrant getting 4 year old technology.