PDA

View Full Version : turntables er cdjs ???

infected muzik
03-09-2012, 03:55 AM
i've never played in turntables.. is it different experience than cdjs?? i guess cdjs n tts have their own benefits n drawbacks... well i want to know what they are.. pls help !!

Lost Connection
03-09-2012, 04:08 AM
It's very different. They get more similar if you use dvs, not vinyl records, but it is still different. TTs are the original decks, you don't have all the extra buttons or a display to help you out. Takes more to learn DJing with turntables but it does pay off when you do learn and then you will be able to beatmatch properly etc. Not saying you would not learn with cds or controller, just that you dont have sync buttons or bpm displays on turntables.

And the touch is very different, that's why I enjoy playing on TTs

infected muzik
03-09-2012, 04:13 AM
is it possible to play trance with TTs ??

NPC
03-09-2012, 04:18 AM
is it possible to play trance with TTs ??

Nope, you have to get a trance adapter. Juno sells them for pretty cheap.

KLH
03-09-2012, 05:13 AM
Nope, you have to get a trance adapter. Juno sells them for pretty cheap.
Guitar Center has them on sale this week!
Make sure you get the one with the HD digital-to-analog converter though... 320kbps is the highest you can go!

-KLH

Subprime
03-09-2012, 07:45 AM
^ All of this is sarcastic.

You can play whatever you like on turntables, not sure how available trance is on vinyl, but with DVS it's not even a worry.

RaphaelJohn
03-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Each one has their own pros and cons. I like the feel of wax and a moving platter. I've thought about getting a pair of CDJ's as well. With CDJ's you don't have to worry about replacing needles or vinyl.

Finnish_Fox
03-09-2012, 03:00 PM

...but funny.

mostapha
03-09-2012, 03:39 PM

The first rule of………………

Sorry, I blacked out for a second. Where was I?

Oh yeah…the difference between CDJs and Turntables is that since the invention of the DVS, CDJs are a lot more expensive. They also feel completely different. As an example…after I start a song, I tend not to touch the record…just ride the pitch fader. On CDJs, I pitch bend. I'm not really sure why except that CDJ pitch faders still feel weird compared to Technics.

It's a preference thing.

Also a pair of top-end CDJs costs more than a Mac Pro. A pair of top end turntables can still be had for a grand.

BuddyUK
03-10-2012, 03:40 AM
If you play a Tiësto record on a mk5 Technics it automatically unlocks a special 'sunrise' mode.

moyo wilde
03-10-2012, 03:56 AM
i would say that getting a turntable may be better in the long run. if you can spin on tt's everything is cake. right now i have slip cueing issues when using my tt's it makes my mixes a little too sloppy for my tastes. on cdj's i have found it easier. it is easier to hit a button than slip cueing. also the pitch readout helps a lot. like if i need to ride the pitch to speed up a track i know what was too slow or fast. on turntables it takes a lot more care. if you pitch a song faster and go back to where you thought you were it might be off. so more pitch riding. meanwhile i got to eq and fade the songs ugh. i refuse to let the turntables get the best of me i am going to master it. if only i had two or four more arms.

if i were doing it all over i would have started out on turntables, and nailed slip cueing.

infected muzik
03-10-2012, 07:30 AM
thanks !! :lol:

L2daGee
03-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Learn both, so you have both the industry standards mastered. With that being said, Technics all day yo!!!

infected muzik
03-11-2012, 06:41 AM
yeah gud idea !!

well does anybody know a music production schools(institutes) in nu york ?? since i'm nt from the us i've been wanting to do music production in nu york..(i've basic knowledge abt MP) help me out !!

Lost Connection
03-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Google is your friend :tup:
And you could always do some internet courses... Like pointblankonline etc.

or just watch free tutorials :lol:

infected muzik
03-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Google is your friend :tup:
And you could always do some internet courses... Like pointblankonline etc.

or just watch free tutorials :lol:

exactly !! i just happened to find out that(pointblankonline) and also few others... from google:)
thanks for the reply though !!

DjDisArm
03-11-2012, 01:45 PM
:lol:

infected muzik
03-25-2012, 09:43 AM
as i already told you guys that i can't play tts.. i'm afraid that it'll affect my image later cuz i can't even cue... tts are complicated for me!! do all the djs play in both cdjs and tts?? and do you guys have any sites which let us download free trance music.

ampnation
03-25-2012, 01:38 PM
infected, given why you're considering tt's I would say you need to do it. For some others I would say some of the newer controllers with vinyl platters might give one the best of both worlds.

The top two Denon CDJ's with 9" true vinyl surfaces and the Numark NS7 come to mind.

I'm sure neither feels like a 1200, but if you really need it to feel like a 1200, you need a 1200. hehe

Damon_Chambers
03-25-2012, 04:15 PM
If you play a Tiësto record on a mk5 Technics it automatically unlocks a special 'sunrise' mode.

:lol: nice.

infected muzik
03-25-2012, 09:35 PM
does it take too much time to learn to play tts?? how much time does it take approx. ?? i was interested in tts as well... tx 4 the advise. i'm gonna do it sooner er later.

mostapha
03-26-2012, 07:38 AM
It took about 4-6 months before I felt marginally competent, but I was starting from scratch. There are weird things about them…you do kind of just have to babysit more than you do with CDJs or Controllers (even without sync) and you have to develop your touch so you're not too heavy handed.

It's worth doing, but it's not instantaneous.

infected muzik
03-26-2012, 11:11 AM
It took about 4-6 months before I felt marginally competent, but I was starting from scratch. There are weird things about them…you do kind of just have to babysit more than you do with CDJs or Controllers (even without sync) and you have to develop your touch so you're not too heavy handed.

It's worth doing, but it's not instantaneous.

got ya !! i'll take my time.. and thank you :lol:

mynmisoli
04-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Turntables are much harder to control, require more maintenance, and have no built in effects. However you have much more control over the music once you've figured out how o use them. I prefer the feel and ability to scratch with vinyl and it's just more fun for me.