PDA

View Full Version : 4 cdj players and a mixer

infected muzik
03-09-2012, 02:17 AM
i see the djs playing 4cdj players, since i'm a beginner i've no idea what do they do with those??? would somebody tell me abt that... seeking idea, i want to learn technics as well.

DJNR
03-09-2012, 02:31 AM
i see the djs playing 4cdj players, since i'm a beginner i've no idea what do they do with those??? would somebody tell me abt that... seeking idea, i want to learn technics as well.

It's just mixing 4 tracks. It depends what each deck is used for, but it could be something like: vocals + beat + bassline + sample.

infected muzik
03-09-2012, 02:39 AM
do trance djs use samplers?? i'm interested in trance more than others, bt i like progressive house, electro house as well.. don't like slow beats hiphop

Era 7
03-09-2012, 03:32 AM
most people just use two and the third for cueing up the next track. the fourth is at your disposal for whatever you want such a an acapella. as for trance most people just go with two decks for mixing and the third and fourth for cueing. most styled of trance can't be heavily mixed and the DJs do intro/outro mixing because there is just too much going on harmonically to allow other styles of mixing. in that case the additional decks are more of a convenience thing than of actual use. due to the intro/outro mixing you also have an aprox. time of about 5 minutes that the track is just playing. during that period of time you you can prepare tracks on decks three and four for example.

KLH
03-09-2012, 05:35 AM
I've also seen it used for show. Most DJs have their hands full with just two decks.

-KLH

infected muzik
03-10-2012, 05:58 AM
thanks !!:)

Gjhowe1
03-11-2012, 08:59 PM
A friend of mine uses 4 CDJ to mix trance, normally he uses 2 for mixing, one for cue and another as a sort of sample deck with hotcues or loops. Ive been Dj-ing for about 2 years an i can barley keep track of 3 full decks, hats off to the guys who can mix 4 at a time as it takes skill to not only keep track of 4 tracks, but to make it sound good.

DJRa1n
03-11-2012, 09:49 PM
I have 2 CDJ-1000s and 2 CDJ-800s hooked up to my DJM-800. I normally leave the 800s alone unless I have a special guest over. Then he takes the left side of the decks, I take the right.

infected muzik
03-12-2012, 02:27 AM
some djs' mixers are hooked up with 2 tts and 2 cdjs, for what purpose they use two different types of players?? what kind of music do they play??

DJNR
03-12-2012, 02:41 AM
some djs' mixers are hooked up with 2 tts and 2 cdjs, for what purpose they use two different types of players?? what kind of music do they play??

It depends. If you are at a club, chances are the person spinning is only using two decks. The reason the 4 decks are up there are in case someone prefers using turntables vs CDJs and vice versa. Basically, it functions for variety as well as seamless transitioning.

This isn't always the case though. When I saw Shit Robot live at a show, he was spinning on two CDJs and two turntables. He would play tracks on the CDJs and play his records on the turntables (duh) but he was using all four decks to their fullest extent.

infected muzik
03-12-2012, 03:04 AM
it was helpful thanks!! :lol: is there more use of that kind of setup??

The Blackest
03-12-2012, 08:01 AM

I spin drum n bass music and I buy mp3s and I still buy vinyl. Sometimes I play off of 3decks(either two CDJs and 1 TT going or two TTs and 1 CDJ going). So a set up like that works perfectly for me.

NickJames
03-12-2012, 09:37 AM
This video of Roger Sanchez that actually shows the decks and the mixer from a top-down angle is probably a good way to get some understanding of the process:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=om19A7fY_wg&t=10m45s

Pay close attention to the fader positions, whether or not a loop is engaged on each CDJ (blinking pair of yellow buttons above and to the left of the jog wheel), and watch the centre of the jog wheel to get an idea of the length of each loop.

infected muzik
03-12-2012, 11:27 AM
thanks for the vdo, it was so complicated at first. i had to watch it twice, yet again i found it helpful....

Finnish_Fox
03-12-2012, 11:40 AM
This video of Roger Sanchez that actually shows the decks and the mixer from a top-down angle is probably a good way to get some understanding of the process:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=om19A7fY_wg&t=10m45s

Pay close attention to the fader positions, whether or not a loop is engaged on each CDJ (blinking pair of yellow buttons above and to the left of the jog wheel), and watch the centre of the jog wheel to get an idea of the length of each loop.

But doesn't he do a lot of the work in RekordBox prior to playing? (setting up his loops, cue points, etc)?

Andrew B
03-12-2012, 12:18 PM
it was helpful thanks!! :lol: is there more use of that kind of setup??

It just gives you options. If you're playing a record, you have the option of mixing in another record, or a CD. Depends on what songs you have on what format.

Since less and less DJs are bringing vinyl to clubs, you're starting to see more four-CDJ setups.

infected muzik
03-12-2012, 12:19 PM
now this is sth new for me, i also have rekordbox box bt i use it for making playlist only. how to set up loops, c points etc..

infected muzik
03-12-2012, 12:23 PM
will yu illustrate it a lil' for me to get the point of what u're trying to say :teef:

Finnish_Fox
03-12-2012, 12:30 PM
now this is sth new for me, i also have rekordbox box bt i use it for making playlist only. how to set up loops, c points etc..

I have RekordBox but have never used it. I just use CDJs (in vinyl mode) and TTs.

KLH
03-13-2012, 05:21 PM
You'll mostly see 4 decks being used in software with controllers (i.e. Traktor Pro/S4, ITCH/NS6, VDJ/MC6000), but bigger clubs may have either 2 TTs + 2 CDJs or 4 CDJs.

The best example of 4 deck mixing that I've come across is this (from a contest on DJTT):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcyeWZB-6hM

Impressive. Most impressive. That video inspired me to get into 4 deck mixing.

-KLH

Finnish_Fox
03-13-2012, 07:01 PM
You'll mostly see 4 decks being used in software with controllers (i.e. Traktor Pro/S4, ITCH/NS6, VDJ/MC6000), but bigger clubs may have either 2 TTs + 2 CDJs or 4 CDJs.

The best example of 4 deck mixing that I've come across is this (from a contest on DJTT):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcyeWZB-6hM

Impressive. Most impressive. That video inspired me to get into 4 deck mixing.

-KLH

Know of anyone doing 3 or 4 deck mixing without Traktor or pre-set up loops/cues? Just straight manual mixing?

KLH
03-13-2012, 08:23 PM
^ Youtube has d&b mixing on vinyl with 3 TTs. It's not inspired like that though.

-KLH

Fusic
03-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Know of anyone doing 3 or 4 deck mixing without Traktor or pre-set up loops/cues? Just straight manual mixing?

Jeff mills. Search for his 'purposemaker' videos on youtube. Straight manual mixing as you put it on 3 vinyl decks.

Part 1..
7bLanIfR13A

Andrew B
03-13-2012, 11:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we7_FCM9HM8

Finnish_Fox
03-14-2012, 01:58 AM
Jeff mills. Search for his 'purposemaker' videos on youtube. Straight manual mixing as you put it on 3 vinyl decks.

Part 1..
7bLanIfR13A

Yah, seen this one plenty. Amazing in a technical sense but I found it to get old and boring after a bit.

Finnish_Fox
03-14-2012, 01:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we7_FCM9HM8

Of course, Cox... how could I forget? Think I've seen one Cox video at a festival and he was rocking 3 decks.

I've seen Farina rock 3 decks before as well. But, its fairly rare in my experience.

KLH
03-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Think I've seen one Cox video at a festival and he was rocking 3 decks. I've seen Farina rock 3 decks before as well. But, its fairly rare in my experience.
It's rare because it's hard to keep 3+ music sources in sync without using either loops or auto-sync. Still, most crowds don't care...

-KLH

infected muzik
03-14-2012, 10:22 AM
has anybody who's replying here tried more than 2 decks mixing ?? share yor experience... if you've got any vdo of yourself post it!!

Finnish_Fox
03-14-2012, 10:25 AM
It's rare because it's hard to keep 3+ music sources in sync without using either loops or auto-sync. Still, most crowds don't care...

-KLH

Oh, I know... which is why I was asking for examples. On top of the difficulty, you have to have tracks. I play a lot of funky house with vocal samples etc and I could see that easily getting mucked up with 3 tracks playing. Haha.

Finnish_Fox
03-14-2012, 10:26 AM
has anybody who's replying here tried more than 2 decks mixing ?? share yor experience... if you've got any vdo of yourself post it!!

I've tried it but not in a quite a long time. Just picked up 2 more decks so I could theoretically do it now.

Did not go all that well, wasn't using Traktor or anything and (as KLH mentioned) that shit is HARD!

infected muzik
03-14-2012, 10:34 AM
I've tried it but not in a quite a long time. Just picked up 2 more decks so I could theoretically do it now.

Did not go all that well, wasn't using Traktor or anything and (as KLH mentioned) that shit is HARD!

:lol: HOW HARD???