PDA

View Full Version : Bar Gig gone wrong

pumpitdj
03-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Ok so I started Djing at this Sports bar every Thursday from 9pm to 12 , so far it sucks the monkeys ass . I'm only getting tops 15 people in this bar for the entire night , the owner and his buddies are most of the people that are there , and they play pool all night . The only music they want me to play is Country and Classic Rock . I wish I could get in there on Fridays but they already have a dJ , sure I get paid but I really don't like it at all . So I'm going to start looking I think for another Bar gig .

djscrizzle
03-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Promote harder. Facebook, flyers, twitter, myspace and word of mouth. Talk with management about drink specials, etc.... free cover for ladies, etc to bring more thru the door.

pumpitdj
03-09-2012, 12:52 AM
They have done all that , The area that the bar is in , not really the great either .

mix4fix
03-09-2012, 03:12 AM
Be like DJ P and make that money.

c-hawk
03-09-2012, 06:52 AM
Unless you're in dire straits for the cash and you're that unhappy with this gig, I'd recommend moving on.

DJ Scotch
03-09-2012, 08:28 AM
How long you been djing at local club/bar/lounge?

Are you experience enough for Friday/Saturday nights?

If you think you are experienced and can handle weekend gigs then simply move on. If you are new and getting experience here then suck it up and deal with it. You are getting paid.

If you think you are not gaining any experience then start searching on side and once you land another gig, end your current gig on a good terms.

pumpitdj
03-09-2012, 09:35 AM
I have been Djing for a month now on the Thursday nights , I'm better then the DJ that works Friday's , from what I'm told from customers , but the owner told me he has developed a cliental over the past few months . I will not quit the job , but I will be looking for another .

Austin GoGreen
03-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Keep it for money reasons. If the owner is happy, that's the easiest money you've ever made in your life i'm sure. In the meantime, grow your business/brand. I started out with getting a few dates here and there at one bar on Friday nights. Within a year I joined a partnership with 3 other DJ's and started a crew and we have about 15 gigs/week.

The reason you don't want to just walk away from this gig is because you have your foot in the door. The weekend guy will need a sub eventually, trust me. When he does, be there. You'll eventually get the gig if you're a better DJ. Don't just tell yourself that, act like your the big show. Play to 15 people like you would play to 300 people.

DJMC
03-09-2012, 10:56 AM
If it were me -- I'd rather have the week night (Th, Fri) than Saturday. (I do weddings)

DJ Que Yi
03-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Good advice from Austin Go Green!

jazzyj
03-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Play lots and lots of Madonna, GaGa, and have an all you can drink night, and talk to local drag queens.

Unknown DJ
03-09-2012, 01:57 PM
it's till better than staying home every Thursday and not getting payed.

Mike D
03-09-2012, 08:31 PM
no doubt.. you're getting paid to play music... it could be worse... assuming of course you aren't passing up a better paying gig.

Badger
03-11-2012, 02:58 PM
If the owner and his buddies are happy with the music you're playing, then you're essentially being paid to provide background music. Not a bad gig at all. Not all mobile gigs require dancing; for instance, at a lot of class reunions, people are more interested in "catching up" than actually dancing for most of the night (until they get good and liquored up), but as long as you're playing relevant music, you're doing a good job.

If the owner and his buddies (or other clientele) are giving you grief about the music you're playing, or if they think that you should be "making people dance" when you have such an absurdly small crowd, then you can either change your style/music selections/etc and go even more hardcore with the promotion (which may or may not be possible)... or you can leave the gig. In a case like that, things are usually "fixable" one way or another.

If you have issues like getting threatened by drunks, getting beer bottles thrown at your head, seeing massive bar fights all the time, worrying about insufficient security, fearing for your life, catching someone almost torching your car, etc., etc... then I'd definitely encourage you to stop DJing there. (It doesn't sound like things are quite to that point, yet.)

Good luck to you!

:badger:

pumpitdj
03-11-2012, 04:58 PM
My other question is should I be even setting up my lighting. I feel it`s almost a waste of time

Divercity
03-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Uh dude..... This is the perfect opportunity for you to get in practice.

Stick at it!!

DjDisArm
03-11-2012, 05:22 PM
drink moar

Austin GoGreen
03-12-2012, 11:16 AM
No lights are needed. Waste of time for a Thursday night. Encourage the owner to buy a couple LED lights for permanent install. Offer your time, free of charge to install the lighting. Show him you're willing to take the extra step to making his life easier to do what he does, own the bar.

Guelphdjs
03-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Use that night to learn as much as you can about rock, classic rock, country and so on and get great at playing it. I started a long time ago spinning those songs and right now, when ever I have a gig I thank my lucky stars that I got to play some so when someone comes and ask I can drop good tracks that rock without having to scratch my head.

Keep that night man it's easy money, you spin for yourself anyway, experience is still experience. You need bad nights and bad clubs to know what awesome clubs are.

DJWhiteChoco
03-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Use that night to learn as much as you can about rock, classic rock, country and so on and get great at playing it. I started a long time ago spinning those songs and right now, when ever I have a gig I thank my lucky stars that I got to play some so when someone comes and ask I can drop good tracks that rock without having to scratch my head.

Keep that night man it's easy money, you spin for yourself anyway, experience is still experience. You need bad nights and bad clubs to know what awesome clubs are.

MY first gig was on a thursday night... perfect way to learn the ropes. This was said well.

Icefrogg
03-13-2012, 02:17 PM
My first bar gig was redneck bar out in the boonies...I played classic rock and country and it was quite boring but it was steady money and gave me exposure...I later heard about another bar looking to do ladies night I applied for the gig and told them of the other bar I DJ'd at and got the new bar gig which was more up my ally (more dance music and stuff). So I say stay with it..until you find something else and let it add to your resume and experience.

n0ah
03-14-2012, 08:49 PM
If it were me -- I'd rather have the week night (Th, Fri) than Saturday. (I do weddings)

Same here!

pumpitdj
03-14-2012, 08:52 PM
I found a new bar in a better location , and I can dj on Friday nights . Also where I can play a variety of music . So I will let you guys know how it went . I will be there This Friday

RDRCK
03-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Make it an 80s night. Drop like 30 or 40 bucks on flyers, plaster the area around the bar with them. Word will spread like wildfire (80s nights sell themselves). Before you know it, you have a full dance floor and you can start experimenting with things other than straight 80s :tup:

pumpitdj
03-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Make it an 80s night. Drop like 30 or 40 bucks on flyers, plaster the area around the bar with them. Word will spread like wildfire (80s nights sell themselves). Before you know it, you have a full dance floor and you can start experimenting with things other than straight 80s :tup:

Thx Dude !