PDA

View Full Version : Where to put the speakers?

Djsmylez
03-08-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm doing a wedding and will be on stage. I have 2 k12's and a kw181.

And a t-bar for a couple lights.

Where should I put the sub? On stage with me? Or somewhere on the floor? The stage is about 3 feet up from the floor...

DJ Scotch
03-08-2012, 02:03 PM
here's what I would do!!

Light on stage, speakers on stand off stage.

windspeed36
03-08-2012, 02:03 PM
How big Is the rise in the stage? 1', 2.5'? How big is your audience size? I'd be putting the tops either side of the danceflor on the ends of the stage pointing slightly in

Djsmylez
03-08-2012, 02:08 PM
About two hundred people.

I was planning on putting the speakers on stage facing out during toasts n junk, then we we get to dancing, facing them in toward the dance floor and Angling them toward the floor.

Thanks for the suggestion... But Are u suggesting putting the sub right next too the bridal table? That won't blow them out?

The stage isn't huge, maybe 25 feet from the back wall to the edge I the stage.

djscrizzle
03-08-2012, 02:08 PM
I would put the K12s on speaker stands, and your now standed speakers would go onstage about 5-7 ft away from the center of your booth. You don't have to get the stands too tall, since you're already getting 3 ft of gain from the stage. Optimally, the treble horns should be around 7 feet off the floor. Much higher won't do you terribly much good in this venue's layout anyway.

As for the sub, I'd take it and put it in an off the way area, since bass is non-directional. Many will put them at the front-of-stage on the floor below, about in the middle of where the dancefloor would be. Subs most often do great in corners, however none are present close by, so loading it into the wall gives you a couple free dB extra by directing the bass.

The T-Bar would optimally go behind you or to one side.

My best advice is to get to the venue a couple hrs beforehand and try a couple different placements for the speakers and subs, pointing the tops different ways and heights, till you find the best aiming.

carblekin
03-16-2012, 06:06 AM
Whenever I end up in a similar stage situation, I always put my speakers on the floor, towards the outer edges of the stage. I think it looks better than having them up on the stage to. I'll only put them on the stage when there's absolutely no room anywhere else.

Silver Man
03-16-2012, 12:12 PM
I am assuming you are talking QSC K12's, throw them on stage with you and rotate the stand cup 180 degrees to have your mains angled down 7.5 degrees. This is one of the nice features of the K12's that you don't really think you need, but is great when you have a situation to use them. On stage and then they are out of the way of the audience. If the stage is hollow, the sub on stage will also help resonate the bass.

Djsmylez
03-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the input... I still haven't decided, I wish I was close enough to a walk and just call it a day..

ampnation
03-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Silver Man took the words out of my mouth.

I might change the cup angle only once dancing starts, but more likely, leave them angled the whole time. The process of changing the angle would take more than a minute or two unless you've got like 4 people (2 to lift each speaker, and 2 to twist the cups).

I would keep the sub off the stage. Best spot IMO would be to one side of the stage facing the wall about 12" from it. It appears from the drawing, your corners are too far from the stage to benefit from corner loading.

Do you have a DSP capable of delaying your tops. You want the sound arriving at the edge of the stage at the same time so for best sound, delay 1.1ms/foot. e.g. 25 ft = 27ms delay. (speed of sound = 1,115 ft/s) Make sure to count the 1 ft. from sub to wall, then measure from wall to front of the K12's.

DJMC
03-16-2012, 03:22 PM
I would do what Brian just said

cooper
10-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Rather than starting a new thread, I'll jump on this one. This weekend's wedding will be in a old, brick building built in 1918. I will be on a raised stage no more than 2ft high. The dance floor is directly in front of the stage. I plan on keeping the floor clear of any equipment, so my speakers will go on stands on the stage, but where to put my pair of subs? Links to floor plan & photos below. Thanks for any suggestions.

http://www.kelownamuseums.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/LaurelPackinghouseFloorplan.pdf

http://www.kelownamuseums.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/LPHWeddingforweb2012.pdf

http://www.kelownamuseums.ca/facility-rentals/the-laurel-packinghouse/

DJhalf
10-05-2012, 08:37 PM
+1 on Brian