PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting DJF Trance Tourney 2013: Vernski vs Delta

Rek_Aviles
11-03-2013, 09:06 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/vf8eph.png
DJF TRANCE TOURNAMENT - ROUND 2

MIX 1 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8213521/DJF_Trance_Tournament_2013_Vernski-vs-Delta%20V_1.mp3)

MIX 2 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8213521/DJF%20Trance%20Tournament%202013%20Vernski-vs-Delta%20V_2.mp3)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________

RULES:
Last track mix in time(s):

Round Two: 30 minute mark

no required track.

Mixes will not be restricted in track number. Instead they will be restricted by time. The final track of each mix must (<- I cannot stress this enough) have started by the end minute mark listed below. If any mixes do not conform to this the id10t will be immediately eliminated.

The battles are to be decided on skills and programming, not specific genre tastes. Contestants are urged to vote all other battles aside from their own battle. It's good to be picky, this is a competition and you ideally want to have a perfect mix.

Voting
The battles will be posted as Username versus Username. Anyone still active in the championships will be REQUIRED to vote in ALL battles. Don’t expect any sympathy on this one, if I listen to your battle and vote you listen to my battle and vote = respect. Failing to do so will result in automatic disqualification. Eliminated contestants should show good sportsmanship and continue to listen to battles and vote. If there is a tiebreaker, I (DJForums Admin) will then vote.

MORE DETAILS CAN BE FOUND HERE:
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?31090-DJF-2013-Trance-Tournament-Thread-Rules-amp-Entry&p=299683&viewfull=1#post299683

**This poll will display users who voted, and the choice they've made.**

ChrisHynds
11-03-2013, 10:40 PM
Listening to Mix 1 now will update when Im done

Nice intro track very melodic, Im diggin the vibe on it,

1st transition around 5 mins into the breaks track sits very well for me, good key matching and the melodies sit nicely, Im a huge fan of prog breaks and trance together they compliment each other so well imo. this is a beautiful track.

2nd transition - everything is lined up well again, its a pretty busy mix with a lot going on with the melodies of both tracks but because its all in key it works nicely again, you have a really nice flow and direction with this set so far diggin it :tup: I recognise this 3rd track, not sure of the ID but Ive def heard it a few times before sounds very oldskool Anjuna, really nice,

3rd transition - a lot more noticeable than the first 2 but again all clean and tidy, I think it was just a straight intro/outro and thats why it was noticeable, again keeping that nice melodic uplifting mood going, Im really enjoying this set and its been super tight so far :) This is awesome man, if Prog Trance still sounded like this I would still listen,

4th transition - you eq'd out of this nicely into the incoming breakdown, its hard to mix straight into a progressive breakdown without letting the outgoing track play out, you managed to eq it well, again no faults.

5th transition - short play time on the previous track nice early transition and its a big room electro drop, you have lost me on this track but I can see exactly what your doing and its working well, building out of the melodic into a big room finish, great set structure just not my kinda track, the breakdown is real nice and keeps that melodic feel to the set :tup:

6th transition - Nice long blend, Im not sure if it is but this track has "Tucandeo" written all over it? wouldn't mind an ID on this one, those 2 Irish lads have such a great sound.

Wrapping up -

Really nice set, no faults that I picked up on, I would happily listen to this set time and time again, very well thought out structure, starting nice and mellow with those beautiful melodic prog tracks and building into a more big room prog sound towards the end, Id love to see a TL for this set there were a few really nice tracks in there and I know IGGY will be jizzing in his pants over this set :P

Ok Mix 2 -

I was listening while doing chores around the house so my review wont be as detailed as usual,

I enjoyed the tracks you picked, they all had a very nice older vibe, and this was obviously the direction you where intending for the set, although I do feel it could have been executed better. There were a couple of transitions that stood out to me and didnt seem to flow too well, I think it was either the first or second mix came in harsh, and another later in the set, It was an enjoyable listen but not going to be good enough to get my vote. sorry for the short review but Im dont have a lot of free time atm.

My Vote goes to Mix 1

tekno_violet
11-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Ran through both.

Will be an even match I say.

Review to come.

deathsupport
11-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Mix 1

Amazing progression throughout and everything was very flowy.

Track 1 is a great opening track and the transition into track 2 is perfect. Everything lined up and by this point I was ready for 30mins of these nice, chill melodies.

The EQ work at the 20th minute is really good considering the song situation. I know I would have struggled fading out the out-going song so I commend you for a nice job. With that being said... I personally would have tried to avoid this scenario to begin with. Even when it's done well, you can still tell that the transition is there. I'm just not such a fan.

I re-listened multiple times and have to say that the volume goes down a bit at the 23rd minute (perhaps earlier). It's pretty evident when you hear the drop and then switch to another point of the set.

Mix 2

And we launch straight into it. Can't really detract much for not having an evident intro song for a 30 min mix but it's nice when it's there. Either way, it's a good vocal track and one I haven't heard in a while.

The first transition is hard but it works here. Nice, older beat comes in and builds the energy. However, the second track felt like it got just a bit too much play time.
Second transition is similar to the first but the out-going song fades away quite nicely.

Things sound a bit busy at the 18 min mark, and then even murky... but everything makes sense once the transition is done. Referencing my comment on the previous mix - you did a good job given the situation but maybe it should have been avoided to begin with.
Some background noise at 24 mins. It's the next track coming in and I think some more EQ work would have made everything sound more refined. Another hard transition - on its own it sounds good but I just heard a few similar ones earlier and some variety would be nice. All the tracks up to now have been good choices.

Really good outro track. It's similar to the first one (I was going to say you should have had the intro as your outro, but you had that covered) and after hearing it I'm more accepting of your intro because I feel as though the mix has just come full circle.

Mix 1 was the more enjoyable 30 mins and was technically better. It gets my vote! Good job to both DJs.

Vernski
11-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Best of luck Delta, nice mix by the way - looks like we might have a close one here.....:eek:

JackStalk
11-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Mix 1, Beautiful intro, love it! Still pretty laid back through minute 13. 20:15ish was a little shaky of a beatmatch and the volume levels were a bit off. The mix ended around 35m but the file says 39.50? I dont get it.

Mix 2, Liked the first track vocal, but the transition at 6:30 was kind of harsh, you slightly killed the vibe and switched directions with the mix. You can tell the two tracks don't belong together and is a programming error. I see what you were trying to do at 12:30, too abrupt of a transition again into another track that doesn't flow well. It seems like you mainly are having issues with your programming and slightly with phrasing. You ideally want your tracks to eclipse each other at the same energy level so they progress seamlessly into one another. The mix at 20m was a little better than the rest so far. If you can hear an error or energy dip in your own mix, you can be sure that the rest of us audiophiles will notice it as well.

Mix 1 wins my vote, unanimously.

ChrisHynds
11-10-2013, 02:07 AM
Updated with my vote

Sedna
11-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Listened to these mixes commuting this week and took small notes, but I don't have individual transition remarks. Apologies, just too busy.

Mix 1-

Really enjoyed it front to back. Made my commute a breeze :love:. The transitions were solid all around, and you kept up a really great atmosphere the entire time. The flow was spot on. Not even my type of trance, really, but for what you were going for you hit the nail on the head. Well executed. Good work.

Mix 2-

Old school vibe through and through. The transitions were certainly more noticeable, but I actually think this was mixed the way this type of music was meant to be mixed. New beats and drives coming in at just the right times to send me into a new groove. My entire commute felt like a dark and impersonal club from the late 90s/early 2000s. I absolutely applaud the style here, and I don't think there are any flaws in the way this mix was programmed and executed. As I said before, the noticeable transitions come with this brand of trance music.

After some deliberation and relistening, I think Mix 2 gets my vote here. I just love the vibe. Mix 1 was really great too, but Mix 2 has a certain flare that really hit home with me.

Ignotus
11-13-2013, 09:29 PM
awwww fuuuuuck, this closed today too? fuck i was just about to vote!!!

anywho, mix one gets my vote

tekno_violet
11-14-2013, 01:09 AM
I went with mix one.

Very close battle for me as they were both great.
Thanks guys.

Vernski
11-14-2013, 02:32 AM
Well guys Mix 1 was mine.....

Thanks for all the feedback, it's great to get through this round and find out that I'm the right track.

MIX 1 Track List

Track 1: PM AttitudE - Evolva (Intro Mix)
Track 2: Rex Mundi - Sunrise In Ibiza (Original Mix)
Track 3: Basil O'Glue - Dropout (Wellenrausch Remix)
Track 4: DJ Tatana - Spring Breeze (Martin Roth SummerStyle Remix)
Track 5: Limitless - (Arcalis Remix) Mario Ayuda & Chris Callado
Track 6: Solid Stone - Grid
Track 7: Anhken, Les - You Take Forever To Say Nothing (Inca Remix)
Track 8: Pulse & Sphere - The Lost Stars (Original Mix)
Track 9: Behind The Sunset - Chameleon (Tucandeo) Well Spotted Mr Hynds :tup:

Chris Hynds:lol:

Id love to see a TL for this set there were a few really nice tracks in there and I know IGGY will be jizzing in his pants over this set

Thanks Delta V for the battle :)

Oh and I still have some spreading issues, Deathsupport, JackStalk, Chris Hynds and Sedna - I haven't forgotten........

EDIT

I've spread some love, only Deathsupport and Jackstalk to go :D

2nd EDIT

More love spread, only JackStalk to go........

3rd Edit

All square

M!TCH
11-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Mix 1: first transition was very solid. Second transition had a bit more going on but still flowed well. Next mix sounds like an intro/outro, but I think sometimes it is necessary to have in a mix if you want to let the energy cool off for a just a brief moment before building again. All in all this was a really good set. On to mix 2.

Mix 2: this has to be Delta. I've caught enough flack about not having an intro to tell he'd go deep on his intro :reef: can tell from this first track it's going to be an older track. You can tell the difference in these older tracks from the new stuff. I'm expecting some beat drifts in this. Older stuff requires more finesse to get them lined up. First transition was noticeable with regards to the bass swap. Just a bit of a gain thing, wish you would've blended them a bit longer. Second transition was better. Track 1 was pulled out a bit too quick for me. The rest of this set flowed well for me. Huge props and playing older stuff as it is a lot more difficult to mix than what we are blessed to get these days quality wise (with respect to the DAW, not quality of the music).

I'm going to have to go with mix 2 on this because I have mad appreciation for how difficult it can be to mix older tracks.