PDA

View Full Version : What equipment should I get?

Akshayk
03-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Hi guys I'm 15 and I want to be a DJ, but I don't know what equipment I should use.

I'm on a low budget, and many people have been saying that the low budget stuff is crap. Is this true?

The decks that I will be getting is the mixtrack pro: http://www.djkit.com/numark/numark-mixtrack-pro.html?cat=110

Is the mixtrack pro any good?

The mixer that I will be getting is the Numark M2: http://www.djkit.com/numark/numark-m2-mixer.html?cat=104

Have any of you heard of the companies called Ekho or Ibiza, if so I'm going to get their amp and their speakers: http://www.electromarket.co.uk/product/SA190/Ekho+10+Inch+Speakers%2C+Ekho+Amplifier+and+Stands +500W

Do you think the speakers have good sound quality?
Do you think the amp will be any good?

or

I might get some active speakers, are these better than the passive speakers?: http://www.electromarket.co.uk/product/XTM12AMP/Ibiza+XTM+12+Inch+800W+Active+Moulded+Speaker

Its says that this active speaker runs at 300W RMS (600W MAX). Amplified power allows this to run at 800W MAX. But I thought active speakers have a built in amp?

Also do you think the sound quality will be any good?

djpenguin
03-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Hi guys I'm 15 and I want to be a DJ, but I don't know what equipment I should use.

I'm on a low budget, and many people have been saying that the low budget stuff is crap. Is this true?

Generally, yes. There are a few cheap gems out there, but not many.

The decks that I will be getting is the mixtrack pro: http://www.djkit.com/numark/numark-mixtrack-pro.html?cat=110

Is the mixtrack pro any good?

Decks are turntables or CDJ-type players, single media playback devices that must be connected to a mixer. The Mixtrack Pro is a MIDI controller for DJing. I'm not well acquainted with controllers, but I've heard that the Mixtrack Pro is decent for starting out. Make sure you have a computer that's capable of running the software you want to operate before purchasing any controller. Matching the software's minimum specs is okay, exceeding those specs is better.

The mixer that I will be getting is the Numark M2: http://www.djkit.com/numark/numark-m2-mixer.html?cat=104

You don't need a DJ mixer if you're using a controller, only if you're going to be using individual decks. Make a choice and go from there.

Have any of you heard of the companies called Ekho or Ibiza, if so I'm going to get their amp and their speakers: http://www.electromarket.co.uk/product/SA190/Ekho+10+Inch+Speakers%2C+Ekho+Amplifier+and+Stands +500W

Do you think the speakers have good sound quality?
Do you think the amp will be any good?

or

I might get some active speakers, are these better than the passive speakers?: http://www.electromarket.co.uk/product/XTM12AMP/Ibiza+XTM+12+Inch+800W+Active+Moulded+Speaker

Its says that this active speaker runs at 300W RMS (600W MAX). Amplified power allows this to run at 800W MAX. But I thought active speakers have a built in amp?

Also do you think the sound quality will be any good?

You're getting ahead of yourself. You're going to suck something fierce when you start DJing (we all do), so there's no reason to buy speakers and prepare for live performances right away, unless you're a masochist.

Figure out whether you want to use a controller or a mixer + CDJs/turntables to start, then do some research to figure out the best gear you can afford on your budget. Don't worry about speakers or performing in front of people until you've been practicing for a while.

Akshayk
03-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Generally, yes. There are a few cheap gems out there, but not many.

Decks are turntables or CDJ-type players, single media playback devices that must be connected to a mixer. The Mixtrack Pro is a MIDI controller for DJing. I'm not well acquainted with controllers, but I've heard that the Mixtrack Pro is decent for starting out. Make sure you have a computer that's capable of running the software you want to operate before purchasing any controller. Matching the software's minimum specs is okay, exceeding those specs is better.

You don't need a DJ mixer if you're using a controller, only if you're going to be using individual decks. Make a choice and go from there.

You're getting ahead of yourself. You're going to suck something fierce when you start DJing (we all do), so there's no reason to buy speakers and prepare for live performances right away, unless you're a masochist.

Figure out whether you want to use a controller or a mixer + CDJs/turntables to start, then do some research to figure out the best gear you can afford on your budget. Don't worry about speakers or performing in front of people until you've been practicing for a while.

So all I need is a controller to begin with. What did you get when you first started?

If I don't need a mixer with a controller, and I don't need to get speakers or an amp yet my budget will be £500 for a controller.

What's more expensive getting a controller or using individual decks?

I want to use a controller, and two decks.

ccabungcal
03-08-2012, 01:15 PM
I started with a mixtrack pro. I would recommend it. Great for starting out the basic skills of a dj such as mixing and the basic scratches.

If you want to use a controller and two decks, I recommend you buy a Traktor S4 and two turntables such as the technics 1200s or cdjs like Pioneer Cdjs, whichever is your preference. But that is way out of your budget so I would just start off with a mixtrack pro or any controller and practice, practice practice!

Lost Connection
03-08-2012, 01:34 PM

Just get something like the Mixtrack Pro, figure out if DJing is really your thing and then learn to DJ. After that you can move on to getting more/better gear. And your wallet will be on a diet before you can get to the top end stuff, trust me :lol:

But just focus on learning first, I started out with just the software, then went on and got a controller etc.

deejayjsin
03-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Just get something like the Mixtrack Pro, figure out if DJing is really your thing and then learn to DJ. After that you can move on to getting more/better gear. And your wallet will be on a diet before you can get to the top end stuff, trust me :lol:

But just focus on learning first, I started out with just the software, then went on and got a controller etc.
I agree with Lost, try it out first and make sure you like it. This is an EXPENSIVE hobby, you will not only have to budget for gear but music as well.

Akshayk
03-08-2012, 02:23 PM

Hmm I think I'll do that, but my mate at school told me that I need an amp, speakers, a controller and a mixer.

So I'll get the Mixtrack Pro without a mixer or anything else right?

I produce music already but I now want to DJ, as I've always wanted to do this and I can play/mix some of my tracks.

People have told me that the Mixtrack Pro isn't that good, and they said that I should get a Numark N4 instead.

Synergy
03-08-2012, 03:25 PM
My first setup was 2 Tech 1200's and a Numark Mixer and a radio hooked up to play my music lol.

Now I have 2 Tech 1200 m3d's, Allen & Heath Xone 22, Allen and Heath Xone XD40, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Akai LPD8, Maschine, Audio 10 and a Macbook Pro 13. You will suck at first, wait to see if this is what you want to do first. The good thing about starting now is that you will have very little money invested. I had to have a good bit sunk in when I started...and dont get me started on buying records. I ate LOTS of Ramen.....to buy records.

Finnish_Fox
03-08-2012, 04:31 PM
so there's no reason to buy speakers and prepare for live performances right away

He still needs to buy (or have) speakers, even if shitty computer speakers... right? He just doesn't need to spend 200 quid on a set.

Finnish_Fox
03-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Hmm I think I'll do that, but my mate at school told me that I need an amp, speakers, a controller and a mixer.

You will need a set of speakers.. even computer speakers will do. If you have regular bookshelf speakers, you may need a receiver/amp... but a cheap home entertainment one will do if necessary.

You will need a controller -OR- mixer and decks to start.

I produce music already but I now want to DJ, as I've always wanted to do this and I can play/mix some of my tracks.

So you should have a laptop - perhaps a controller and some computer speakers is the best way for you to start.

People have told me that the Mixtrack Pro isn't that good, and they said that I should get a Numark N4 instead.

I can't speak from experience, but the Mixtrack looks really cheap to me. Numark, on the other hand, is just a brand I don't trust.

Quentin Legend
03-08-2012, 04:53 PM

So I'll get the Mixtrack Pro without a mixer or anything else right?

To make this very simple, your list of stuff to buy so you can get started:

#1 - Mixtrack Pro
#2 - Set of speakers (Computer speakers will do)

That's it.

BTW: Upload some of your tracks and post the links here?

Akshayk
03-08-2012, 05:14 PM
He still needs to buy (or have) speakers, even if shitty computer speakers... right? He just doesn't need to spend 200 quid on a set.

I have 2 hi-fi speakers but if their not good I'll get some new ones. They are both 50w.

Will these speakers be fine?: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004KLZFM8/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d1_g23_i5?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OL E&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=1GY2NVKWFY0QT4XV6RHC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128133&pf_rd_i=468294

Akshayk
03-08-2012, 05:16 PM
You will need a set of speakers.. even computer speakers will do. If you have regular bookshelf speakers, you may need a receiver/amp... but a cheap home entertainment one will do if necessary.

You will need a controller -OR- mixer and decks to start.

So you should have a laptop - perhaps a controller and some computer speakers is the best way for you to start.

I can't speak from experience, but the Mixtrack looks really cheap to me. Numark, on the other hand, is just a brand I don't trust.

What controller do you recommend for a beginner?
I have never used any type of DJ equipment before.
Is this controller fine?: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050BK6D0

Akshayk
03-08-2012, 05:19 PM
My first setup was 2 Tech 1200's and a Numark Mixer and a radio hooked up to play my music lol.

Now I have 2 Tech 1200 m3d's, Allen & Heath Xone 22, Allen and Heath Xone XD40, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Akai LPD8, Maschine, Audio 10 and a Macbook Pro 13. You will suck at first, wait to see if this is what you want to do first. The good thing about starting now is that you will have very little money invested. I had to have a good bit sunk in when I started...and dont get me started on buying records. I ate LOTS of Ramen.....to buy records.

Finnish_Fox said that the mixtrack pro looks cheap is this true?
Can you recommend me some other types of controllers?

KLH
03-08-2012, 06:01 PM
I say have fun and just buy DJ Hero. Save your money for a car.

-KLH

Finnish_Fox
03-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Finnish_Fox said that the mixtrack pro looks cheap is this true?
Can you recommend me some other types of controllers?

Yah... I said it LOOKS cheap. I have never used one... couldn't tell you if it is actually crap or not.

djpenguin
03-08-2012, 07:14 PM
So all I need is a controller to begin with. What did you get when you first started?

If I don't need a mixer with a controller, and I don't need to get speakers or an amp yet my budget will be £500 for a controller.

What's more expensive getting a controller or using individual decks?

When I started twelve years ago, the options were a lot more limited. I used on SL1200s with regular vinyl. Using individual pieces (decks, mixer) is going to be more expensive, but the flip side of that is that if the gear is quality, it will hold its value better than a controller. Whatever you end up choosing, start with two-track mixing. You can add more decks later if you have a need for them.

Yes, but they don't have to be good. I used a cheap bookshelf stereo for a decade or so. Basically any stereo from a thrift shop that works and has speakers will do the trick (especially to start), and it'll cost next to nothing.

I have 2 hi-fi speakers but if their not good I'll get some new ones. They are both 50w.

Will these speakers be fine?: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004KLZFM8/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d1_g23_i5?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OL E&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=1GY2NVKWFY0QT4XV6RHC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128133&pf_rd_i=468294

Don't bother with new speakers, just buy a cheap stereo from a secondhand/thrift store.

Finnish_Fox
03-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Yes, but they don't have to be good. I used a cheap bookshelf stereo for a decade or so. Basically any stereo from a thrift shop that works and has speakers will do the trick (especially to start), and it'll cost next to nothing.

Exactly. Wasn't trying to be nit-picky... just didn't want the OP to be confused and buy a controller but not have any speakers whatsoever to play through. He doesn't need a 200 quid set up but needs something the output the sound.

deejayjsin
03-08-2012, 09:18 PM
What controller do you recommend for a beginner?
I have never used any type of DJ equipment before.
Is this controller fine?: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050BK6D0

I would get the Hercules over the Numark...but thats just my personal preference.

djkvg
03-08-2012, 09:44 PM
buy cheap buy twice.

ampnation
03-08-2012, 10:28 PM
If you have some sort of audio with speakers already with an AUX input you can use that for PERSONAL use. When you get ready to play for parties and the like, you'll need PA speakers. None of the PA speakers you've linked to are worth buying. If your budget is 500 lbs for everything, then you aren't ready to buy any PA speakers yet.

One thing overlooked IMO, is I think you should get headphones. A pair of Sony MDR V500 would be great. You need to learn how to hear the PA (or in your case, whatever speakers you have) in one ear and one ear of your headphones in the other at the same time when you're mixing. That's the one part that no amount of producing will prepare you for.

If I were you, I would get either the Traktor Kontrol S2 or Hercules RMX controller. If you can afford it, ask opinions here about the new Pioneer DDJ Ergo. It is very new and I haven't heard any reviews of it yet from people actually using it. My guess is, it is better than the RMX (shocked if it isn't) and probably better than the S2, but that's not a given.

Just to be clear, because you sounded confused about this... a controller will have 2 or 4 channels built in with virtual decks and 2 platters which act like smaller versions of vinyl records. Controllers with 4 channels will have 2 platters but those platters will switch between channels. 4 channels costs more than 2 for obvious reasons. Many controllers also have the ability to connect additional decks which could be CDJ decks or vinyl turntables.

One other thing to note is most but not all controllers have an audio interface with the ability to connect directly to PA speakers. I believe all the controllers I listed have this ability. Some of the very inexpensive ones do not. When you start playing for others and connecting PA speakers, you'll want the ability to connect to balanced inputs on the PA. Again, balanced outputs on a controller add cost. Don't worry though if your controller does not have this ability directly. You can add an audio interface or isolation transformer at that time for under $100 USD (not sure what they go for in the UK). Obviously buying a controller that has balanced outputs now will save you this expense later.

I'm not sure what outputs the Mixtrack Pro has, but the Ergo and S2 have balanced TRS outputs. I believe the RMX does also but can't swear to it.

When it comes time for PA speakers, I highly recommend going powered for beginners and when you're ready, check back in the amps and speakers section. There are a few decent options at relatively lower prices, but even those will cost more than your total budget all by themselves.

Gareth
03-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Have a look at a website called Why Buy New. As well as new stuff they also sell some ex-display and returned items... sometimes they're not worth it, but occasionally you can get a bargain from them. It's possibly less risky than buying 2nd hand from fleabay where you don't get any protection if whatever you're buying is not in good condition and it breaks a couple of months down the line.

For example, you can currently get a Hercules DJ Console RMX for £200. I'm guessing you've already got a laptop as you said you've already been producing, so all you'll need in addition to the RMX is some el cheapo speakers to start with and a pair of headphones. You could be up and running for £250 easily.

Happy Trees
03-22-2012, 08:07 AM
An old thread, but I figured I'd throw my .02 pence/cents in, if you have not made a decision yet.

Until the end of March, you can get the Traktor S2 controller for 399 USD. Probably something around the same in pounds/quid. It comes with the Traktor Pro software, since the controller is obviously built for it.

Also, I hear they are also throwing in a free upgrade to the new software when it comes out in May. I have not confirmed this though.

Try Amazon, or whatever UK outlet you trust. In the US, they are all basically matching the 399 for the S2.

That's a good intro piece of kit, but it does not have the ability to really act as a standalone mixer. So you will have to have your computer to mix with it.

If you factor in the software cost and upgrades, then it works out to about the same price as the mixtrack pro, plus decent software.

Also, this site comes with effects, nobs and some other free shit. Granted, you probably have to pay the typical VAT raping/customs duty for import.

http://store.djtechtools.com/traktor-kontrol-s2.html

Archon
03-22-2012, 09:23 AM
i have the numark mixdeck. its great. does everything i need and more, and comes with virtual DJ (newb status software but fuck the haters, it works and does what i need ti to do. also works with traktor) also works without a computer which is AWESOME! $700 brand new but can pcik it up for about $400 on craigslist

BurntToast
03-22-2012, 10:51 AM
i have the numark mixdeck. its great. does everything i need and more, and comes with virtual DJ (newb status software but fuck the haters, it works and does what i need ti to do. also works with traktor) also works without a computer which is AWESOME! $700 brand new but can pcik it up for about $400 on craigslist

I guess you changed your mind?

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?1934-Software-DJ-s-Real-DJ-s-or-12-year-olds-with-toys&p=22161&highlight=#post22161

Archon
03-22-2012, 10:54 AM
lol, i was honestly JUST thinking about that. yeah i kind of did. i still prefer no computer, but when i was practicing yesterday, i was playing with a few new songs i didnt know the breakdowns and buildups of to the exact and i kept messing up. i couldn't stop thinking to myself "DAMN, this would be so much easier and better fi i could look at a waveform." i still, however, believe that using the sync button is kind of cheating. i was just uneducated when i posted that. forgive me, please?

BurntToast
03-22-2012, 12:24 PM
lol, i was honestly JUST thinking about that. yeah i kind of did. i still prefer no computer, but when i was practicing yesterday, i was playing with a few new songs i didnt know the breakdowns and buildups of to the exact and i kept messing up. i couldn't stop thinking to myself "DAMN, this would be so much easier and better fi i could look at a waveform." i still, however, believe that using the sync button is kind of cheating. i was just uneducated when i posted that. forgive me, please?

Haha I wasn't calling you out... just remembered that post though and didn't know what you ended up getting. I'll be trying out the ATH-M50's pretty soon. I liked what I read before, but your info has me leaning even further towards them.

cmilanaik
03-22-2012, 12:34 PM
I got the M50s and I love them. My bros just got the HDJ 2000s and those are sick too. Personally I think he should opt for either the S2 which is on sale right now for $400 I believe. Quite a good deal but check eBay because eBay is the best if you want to get a good deal and possibly better equipment since you won't be buying new :)

Archon
03-23-2012, 09:28 AM
yep m50's are THE. SHIT. like i keep saying, number one reccomended pair of headphones on head-fi, the worlds leading headphone forum. they know what they're talking about.