PDA

View Full Version : Pre-amp Question

JDH
03-08-2012, 07:32 AM
Hey guys

If something similar has been brought up, then all I can say is sorry - I used the search function but brought back several reponses and with the amount of time it would've taken me to look through the, I thought I may as well ask. Plus it's personalised to my setup :)

Right basically I'm getting into mixing, haven't decided what to mix on yet but I've bought myself a Stanton T.62 to rip vinyls from and in that order I bought a Denon DN-X120 mixer so that I can get a bit of practice in there while I'm making my mind up. However, the thought of a preamp has completely slipped my mind. This may seem like a silly question to ask, but I definitely need one right? I'm gonna connect my mixer output to my computer speakers which are the ancient Boston MicroMedia System (http://images.marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/hi/71/71481/r81182boston2.jpg) (they've been holding up well!).

If I do need a preamp (which I'm sure that I do), is there any specific one I should go for? I'm pretty new to the whole amp scene so any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks guys,

J

DTR
03-08-2012, 03:15 PM
No you don't need to buy a separate preamp. Preamps are used to bring low level sources (usually turntables or microphones) up to line level. A DJ mixer will have built in preamps, so plug your turntable straight into your mixer.

Hope this helps

JDH
03-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Helps if you read the manual - forgot to switch input from LINE IN to PHONO, sounds much much better! Thanks DTR anyway!