PDA

View Full Version : Learning the tips of this amazing art

dj tandav
03-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Hi There,

I'm absolutely new to this wonderful art and well started pretty late in my life ( but no regrets ). i just wanted to know how do i start learning this art. i have joined the class but the same time im working professional. Can somebody help me in how i should start learning in way so that i can built my foundation very strong. im aware practice practice practice is only rule. But before that what are the homework i need to do..

Cheers

Sigma
03-08-2012, 05:56 PM
This thread I wrote might help: -

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?646-Sigma-s-n00bs-guide-to-DJing-right

And you're never too old to start DJing man!

ben mills
03-09-2012, 02:54 PM
You will get a lot of different tips and advice here. The only advice that I have for you is to play the music that makes you happy. Don't compromise your taste or style for others. It all comes out in the mixing - if you really enjoy what you are doing, that passion will show in your mixing style and creativity.

DeadPhr0g
03-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Since you're a working professional, I will assume you have the resources to properly fund this hobby/art. Best way to go about it and get the whole nine yards out of it is to get Vinyl and two turntables. This is by far the most rewarding way of learning. It actually requires you to develop skill and train your brain to multitask efficiently. Unless you want to DJ for a crowd ASAP, I would stay away from DVS (Serato, Traktor, Vistual DJ...etc). I learned on DVS, by the time it was said and done I felt I was crippled and unsatisfied. While DVS provides a wide range of tools and resources to fortify your own style, many of us take the basics for granted. In order to build a good foundation, you must learn the fundamentals and burn them into your brain. This will require research, time, dedication, money and a lot of love for the music. Making friends with people already in the trade will greatly help, nothing beats one-on-one time with someone who knows the art.

dj tandav
03-13-2012, 10:52 AM
DeadPhrog... bang on on ur advise... but foundation building is must for any profession... but i also agree with ben mills tips..i hope someday i can share with you guys my first mix... thanks for being there.. Sigma u always rock :)

dj tandav
04-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Does it make sense if you learn some producing software like traktor or ableton along with your dj learning skills.. ???

Sigma
04-02-2012, 01:26 PM
There is a bit of overlap between production and DJing, for instance, you may want to edit tracks or make your own remixes or mashups, but if DJing is what you want to learn then I would keep it simple and focus on the basics of that to begin with.