PDA

View Full Version : Buying Mixers on Craigslist...

Detruence
10-30-2013, 01:32 PM
I plan on purchasing a Rane Sixty-One on Craigslist...the pictures show new in box and claimed it still had warranty. So I had him email me the serial number in a pic. Called Rane and it is still under warranty for 2 years and was sold to a local DJ Supply store. I plan on checking the serial number upomn purchase and if it checks out I should be golden right?

Should I break my cardinal rule of never buying electronics on Craigslist? And is there anything else I should check out when buying? Im not to familiar with mixers since i've only owned a NS7 previous to this?

Thanks in advance for any help, im suppose to meet seller at a McDonalds at 6:00pm!

JackStalk
10-30-2013, 01:34 PM
I buy electronics on craigslist. I test them out first, and 90% of them have been legit.

Dj Pudgey
10-30-2013, 01:37 PM
meet someplace you can plug the mixer in, bring a mp3 player and see if you can pass audio into the line input. Bring Headphones to verify you are getting audio. It never hurts to bring a friend who knows gear with you.

Detruence
10-30-2013, 02:04 PM
meet someplace you can plug the mixer in, bring a mp3 player and see if you can pass audio into the line input. Bring Headphones to verify you are getting audio. It never hurts to bring a friend who knows gear with you.

How do I test the audio with a i-pod and headphones?

JackStalk
10-30-2013, 02:23 PM
I usually bring a single powered monitor, headphones, microphone, and iPod. I test all the ports because the one I don't test is always the one that doesn't work.

DJ Que Yi
11-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Test it! I've been burned once when I first got back into the game.

Finnish_Fox
11-08-2013, 12:40 PM
How do I test the audio with a i-pod and headphones?

Use a 3.5mm -> RCA cable to plug the ipod into the line inputs (all of them, if more than one) on each channel. Play something on the ipod, plug headphones in and see if you get any sound through the cue. See if you get lights on the channel and master meters (if there are meters for channels and/or master).