PDA

View Full Version : Music Organization Program?

FireArmed
03-08-2012, 04:05 AM
Hey all,

I'm finding it increasingly more difficult to keep track of my music library. It seems I have at least three copies of every song I own in different locations on my computer. It is also a hassle to organize them all "manually" into folders as I buy or re-evaluate tracks. (I sort tracks by "mood" into three levels, 1 being starting tracks, 2 as "transition" tracks, and 3 being "bangers")

Is there a good organization program for DJs that helps organize, maintain, rename, etc. your tracks? At the very least to keep track of them all and their locations.

de.j.l
03-08-2012, 07:35 AM
huge library?
---:squint:-----
torrent?

Anyway, Itunes does the trick. I simply put every track in its proper location as I purchase... ..........:squint:

Sigma
03-08-2012, 07:38 AM
MediaMonkey: -

http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=113

Jimanee
03-08-2012, 07:40 AM
I use Rapid Evolution 2 free from www.mixshare.com

Actually there is a version 3 out there, but I just like V2, it can move and rename tracks and you can asign them colours and/ or rate them.

jazzyj
03-08-2012, 08:00 AM
MediaMonkey RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!! but unless you're paralleling windows on a Mac, there is no Mac version :( :( so now I use itunes... meh.

phnetk
03-08-2012, 12:23 PM
I just switched to mac and I had so much trouble organizing my music. It took me months to find a half decent program. Mediamonkey 4 for windows is awesome. I hate itunes so much. Itunes doesn't edit ID3 tags of the actual files, it just saves them in the itunes library file. It renames the tracks with the track number first and without the artist name. I don't know why anyone would want that. With Mediamonkey you could edit and organize every which way. *Sigh*

But I refuse to install windows on my mac so I am mediamonkey-less. But right now I'm using easyTAG to edit the ID3 tags and file names and I use ITCH to organize all my music for djing. Working quite well atm though MM is meant to have a mac osx version sometime soon.

So, as you may have noticed, I love mediamonkey. Highly recommended. Otherwise easyTAG is alright if you're on a mac.

chris15060
03-08-2012, 12:25 PM
You could try TuneUp. It works ok but not amazing. I purchased it few months back and its able to organize most music but doesn't pick everything up.

Interracial Tea
03-08-2012, 12:52 PM
iTunes if you're on a Mac.

I just switched to mac and I had so much trouble organizing my music. It took me months to find a half decent program. Mediamonkey 4 for windows is awesome. I hate itunes so much. Itunes doesn't edit ID3 tags of the actual files, it just saves them in the itunes library file. It renames the tracks with the track number first and without the artist name. I don't know why anyone would want that. With Mediamonkey you could edit and organize every which way. *Sigh*

What? I'm pretty sure it saves the tags to the actual files, not the iTunes library file.

phnetk
03-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Give it a try. Edit a few tags in iTunes and open/edit with another program. Pretty sure I'm right.

Of course I could always be doing it wrong...;)

mostapha
03-08-2012, 02:33 PM
I use iTunes, mostly because Serato reads the iTunes library. I think it works fine. I hate it as a media player, though.

Quentin Legend
03-08-2012, 04:26 PM
iTunes sucks.

Mediamonkey is awesome, been using it to organize and maintain my music library for the last couple of months.

l0ckd0wn
03-08-2012, 05:01 PM
MediaMonkey: -

http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=113

:stupid:

Great application, got the lifetime gold just for the organization feature!

Nice write up on MP3Tag too Sigma, you beat me to it from last time! :P

Signal Lost
03-09-2012, 07:41 AM
+1 for iTunes. It does it for me.

With smart playlists (http://www.apple.com/itunes/inside-itunes/2011/03/managing-your-library-with-built-in-smart-playlists.html), organizing music is a breeze.

Plus, iTunes is compatible with most DJ software such as Traktor, Serato, etc., so no need to drag/drop files or navigate to obscure folders.

dj daywalker
03-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Itunes can change the ID tags for you but you have to make sure that its set to do so. (in settings/preferences)