PDA

View Full Version : Trance V.E.R.N.S.K.I 's Mini Mix 2013

Vernski
10-30-2013, 07:11 AM
Hey everyone,

This has been a really big year for me with regards to learning and improving on the mixing front. I faced my fears and entered in the DJ Forum Trance Tournament this year and it got me thinking about what I want to do as a hobby DJ. I'm feeling more confident and I decided to start putting together a weekly mini-mix of mostly brand new tracks that are out there. My intention is to get into the habit of scouring the interweb for some different tracks and also pushing myself to be creative by putting new mixes together frequently.

I know that mix submissions are pretty quiet on the feedback side of things and that's cool, hopefully though if any of you do have a listen and hear a track that you like, it would be great to know which one it was. Alternatively, if there are some track that are a bit meh, I'd like to know that too - it's good to know if my track radar is on or not.

I must add that this is changing from a hobby to a passion and it's something that I'm really enjoying. I accept that I will be rough around the edges in the mixing department, but I am working hard on getting cleaner, better transitions.

As always, any feedback will be matched with some rep from me.:)

Cheers Guys

https://soundcloud.com/vernon-jairo-jones/vernskis-mini-mix-2013-week-44

Track 1 - Enviado Vida: Prior Tenement (Original Mix)
Track 2 - Ken Young: Morado (Original mix) @ 4min 40sec
Track 3 - Namatjira: Sequoia (Original Mix) @ 7min
Track 4 - 21street: Jakarta Dream (SEQU3L Remix) @ 12min 55sec
Track 5 - Corger: Arised Here (Original Mix) @ 17min 58sec
Track 6 - Alan Cuevas: Lost Words (Original Mix) @ 21min 45sec
Track 7 - Santerna: Essentic (Progressive Mix) @ 26min 13sec
Track 8 - Wellenrausch: Tonight (Danilo Ercole Remix) @ 30min 56sec

deathsupport
10-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Very solid 30mins! Greatly enjoyed this... is this gonna be your next entry for the tourny? :P

First of all, Santerna - Essentic :love: what a track! The whole mix has a chill vibe overall and this has just the right amount of energy to differentiate itself from the other tracks.
The transition from 2-3 was really good! However I don't fully agree with the very first transition... it was either drawn out a bit too long or maybe it's because the 2nd track felt lower-energy than the first one.

Everything else was smooth and had good flow. How did you find these songs btw?
P.S. if this is gonna be a weekly thing you may want to change the name from Mini Mix 2013 to Mini Mix Week 44/52 2013 :lol:

Edit: must spread rep first

2nd Edit: almost forgot. The lyrics in Tonight... are they that quiet on their own in the beginning of the track? I think it would have been really cool if, during the transition, you somehow isolated the words with some smart use of the EQ and made them louder.

Vernski
10-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Firstly a massive thank you for taking the time to listen and providing a heap of great feedback. I tried to rep you earlier but I have to spread some first.

As far as finding tracks go, I'm really only using Beatport and I check it every couple of days. I'll go through a genre and choose today's or yesterday's tracks, it makes it a manageable amount of music to skim through. That being said, there is a heap of shit that I sift through before I find what I like. There have been a couple of tracks that sounded great during the sample, but the whole track was a let down :mad:

The other thing I do is follow labels and artists and go through dj lists and see what they think is good right now. It is a bit time consuming but I think it's time we'll spent.

Yes, track number 2, I really wrestled with this one for the same reason you mentioned. What I originally intended was to have that as the 2nd track in the background and join track 1 & 3. But my wego is an absolute bitch when it comes to 4 deck mixing, so I'll have to wait until Christmas before I can use my reloop terminal 4.

No it's not my djf tournament submission, unfortunately I think this mix is better than than what I submitted. I think the tournament was definitely a catalyst to start creating better mixes anyway, so I'm happy overall.

Yeah, the lyrics are quite soft in that part - I'm going to play around with the EQ and see if I can get a little more out of it.

Thanks again for the feedback, very much appreciated.