PDA

View Full Version : Gig Contract

9_north
03-07-2012, 08:15 PM
A buddy and myself have been booked for another set of gigs with a promoter that we've had a few problems with before.
Could any of you give me some advice on making a contract for the gig. Its a weekly thing for a small nightclub in our entertainment district.
Im not trying to screw anyone but i just think that it might be a good idea to protect all 3 parties involved; The Nightclub, The Promoter and Us the Djs.

Hamza21
03-07-2012, 11:23 PM
What problems are you looking to avoid? If you working through promoter the nightclub has no responsibilities to you since you're an independent contractor working for a promoter. As for promoter what you need is simple detailing:

how you get paid? Cash or check? Also do you receive a percentage of door or just a straight flat fee for deejaying?
When you get Paid? half upfront and the other half after the gig? full pay upfront?
What happens if there is damage to your equipment?

DJ ATX
03-08-2012, 08:53 AM
A buddy and myself have been booked for another set of gigs with a promoter that we've had a few problems with before.
Could any of you give me some advice on making a contract for the gig. Its a weekly thing for a small nightclub in our entertainment district.
Im not trying to screw anyone but i just think that it might be a good idea to protect all 3 parties involved; The Nightclub, The Promoter and Us the Djs.

I've got a contract you can use. Message me your email and I can shoot it out to you when I get home tonight.

frandomeda
03-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Atx send it to me too plx. Frandomeda@gmail.com . Been picking up a lot of gigs lately

mrkleen
03-31-2012, 12:31 AM
A contract is only as good as

A) the trustworthiness of the two people who sign it
B) your willingness and financial ability to enforce it should he break it.

Once a douche, always a douche and no piece of paper will change that.

DJ ATX
04-03-2012, 10:17 AM
A contract is only as good as

A) the trustworthiness of the two people who sign it
B) your willingness and financial ability to enforce it should he break it.

Once a douche, always a douche and no piece of paper will change that.

Enforcing it is quite cheap. Although will take up some personal time. Basically you go to small claims court. Once you win the case, and the douche does not pay, there is a thing you can file called the mechanics lien (generic term), for DJs its actually referred to as a "laborers lien" each state however, dictates how and what circumstance a lien can be placed. Also for those out of the US, I am not sure how that will work.

I have personally sued 2 promoters in CA using this. One I lost the other I won. Although the one I won took me about a yr or two to collect. It wasn't until the promoter was selling her car that I got the money. She had to pay me or the courts wouldn't release the lien. I got my money though. The bitch was pissed. hahahah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanic%27s_lien

mrkleen
04-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Enforcing it is quite cheap. Although will take up some personal time. Basically you go to small claims court. Once you win the case, and the douche does not pay, there is a thing you can file called the mechanics lien (generic term), for DJs its actually referred to as a "laborers lien" each state however, dictates how and what circumstance a lien can be placed. Also for those out of the US, I am not sure how that will work.

I have personally sued 2 promoters in CA using this. One I lost the other I won. Although the one I won took me about a yr or two to collect. It wasn't until the promoter was selling her car that I got the money. She had to pay me or the courts wouldn't release the lien. I got my money though. The bitch was pissed. hahahah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanic%27s_lien

Good way to develop a reputation on the local scene as well.

DJ ATX
04-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Good way to develop a reputation on the local scene as well.

Yep. Shady promoters won't touch you after you sue one of their own. hahahah