PDA

View Full Version : How many effects lights and moving heads.....

fatcatdj
10-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Does it take to have your gig look like a train wreck?
I went to a friend's gig last week and didn't have the heart to tell him that lighting-wise, it
was hot mess. It looked like train wreck.

No longer did the moonflower Revo's patterns matter. No longer did anyone even know he had
moving heads. It was like being at NAMM show, where everyone has their lights going at the same time.
Sort of like a high school parking lot with everyone blasting the car stereos at the same time.

I think having 4 on at the same time is the limit, maybe two moving heads and two effect lights.
Or two effect lights slaved together and 4 par cans linked with the same colour.

What do you guys run?

allensmusic
10-23-2013, 09:44 PM
I think the limit applies to standalone units.
if they are properly synchronized, then the same setup could look spectacular.

CQE DJs
10-24-2013, 10:11 AM
^^ agree. Symmetry and synchronized can make a world of difference.

robare99
10-27-2013, 01:24 PM
http://youtu.be/YnAWTA_UGI0

allensmusic
10-27-2013, 01:43 PM
I have 4 ADJ Mighty scan
10 LED rgb pars
2 quad phases
1 mega strobe
4 65w white floods
4 led RGB strips
2 450mw animation lasers controlled with pangolin Quickshow
2 Blizzard Blade QFX led RGB fixtures
and a 4 port 240mw red green laser
I mount them on a ten foot crank truss, two T-stands, and a few strategically placed in the venue.

I also have a hazer and two fog machines to make it all visible. I am looking to add larger lasers, and more LED lights. the entire show is ran with the aforementioned Pangolin for the lasers, and freestyler for the DMX. it currently takes two operators, and two laptops to properly run the show. much of the show is still manual, such as slowing it down and going to soft colors during a song buildup, and then when the DJ hits the peak and starts jumping, we bring in bright colors and flash the whites and strobes to the beat.

allensmusic
10-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Lets put this in perspective.
Imagine going to see (insert favorite big name DJ name here) in a sold out show at (insert largest venue in town) and the light show had only 4 lights on at a time....

or on the other hand, imagine this same show with all the lights running in "auto mode" rather than a designed light show sequenced together.

fueledbymusic
10-27-2013, 02:48 PM
I typically run a few at a time. Because running all my lights together can get boring. But running the same one all the time also can get boring too. (that goes with any type of light). The non DMX lights are more of an issue with getting boring running them all night long. So for those I turn one on for a minute or 2, then turn that one off, then turn on a different for a minute or 2, and so on. But of course I turn them all at once once in a while. The programmed "chases" help here. LOL.

allensmusic
10-27-2013, 06:37 PM
I forgot to mention my 32 par64 500 watt halogen lights with 8 four channel dimmer packs so they can each be individually controlled.

fatcatdj
10-27-2013, 08:22 PM
http://youtu.be/YnAWTA_UGI0

nice. But I'm currently a one man band so I don't have a lights person to go with me. But I will run 6 lights at a time slaved. I have a DMX controller but as a single operator its a hassle to carry around and hook up. And you guys are right, effects light on AUTO (like my friend does it) really sucks. I currently have 3 trees, one on each side and one in the middle that I just hang two lights from that are slaved.

DJzrule
10-27-2013, 09:18 PM
nice. But I'm currently a one man band so I don't have a lights person to go with me. But I will run 6 lights at a time slaved. I have a DMX controller but as a single operator its a hassle to carry around and hook up. And you guys are right, effects light on AUTO (like my friend does it) really sucks. I currently have 3 trees, one on each side and one in the middle that I just hang two lights from that are slaved.

He runs everything himself.

allensmusic
10-27-2013, 10:01 PM
I did not have the Blizzard Blade QFX's yet when this was shot. we are actually going to use them for the first time on the 30th.

http://youtu.be/5tvqMPS1itg

fueledbymusic
10-28-2013, 12:41 AM
What fatcatdj says....

I have a DMX controller but as a single operator its a hassle to carry around and hook up.

He runs everything himself.

allensmusic
10-28-2013, 01:06 AM
I could run my light show by myself while DJ'ing, it wouldnt be quite as good. it would take a bit more programing, especially to link the laser software to trigger from DMX or midi

robare99
10-29-2013, 12:40 PM

How's it going. I'm a one man operation as well. The lights are all pre-programmed beforehand. I'm working on tweaking the controller to do more, strobes, blackouts, full on for bass drops etc etc. so all that work is done beforehand. Then it's just a matter of setting it all up. I've used a foot controller in the past to change scenes, or an iPad.

Could be better, will be better, it's a work in progress.