PDA

View Full Version : What kind of speakers to DJ with?

vnandy2k
03-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Hey guys, what kind of speakers do you guys use while DJ'ing? Are we suppose to DJ on flat response speakers or are any speakers okay? I've had KRK Rokit 8's a while back which has a relatively flat response and I could hear every little sound in my songs, Trance, but I sold it because it was so boring to listen to. Now I just DJ on my headphones which are Sony XB-500's which have a lot of bass but not so much clarity compared to the KRK Rokit 8's. I've also tried DJ'ing at a friend's house, I don't know what kind of speakers he had, but it had lots of clarity and bass (I don't think it had a flat response) and I can hear my transitions not being "sneaky" enough. The speakers sounded great, but my transitions didn't. So now I'm questioning myself if mixing on these my headphones will translate well onto other speakers. Any suggestions?

windspeed36
03-06-2012, 11:40 PM
You probably should have kept those Rockits...

unsafe8989
03-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Hey guys, what kind of speakers do you guys use while DJ'ing? Are we suppose to DJ on flat response speakers or are any speakers okay? I've had KRK Rokit 8's a while back which has a relatively flat response and I could hear every little sound in my songs, Trance, but I sold it because it was so boring to listen to. Now I just DJ on my headphones which are Sony XB-500's which have a lot of bass but not so much clarity compared to the KRK Rokit 8's. I've also tried DJ'ing at a friend's house, I don't know what kind of speakers he had, but it had lots of clarity and bass (I don't think it had a flat response) and I can hear my transitions not being "sneaky" enough. The speakers sounded great, but my transitions didn't. So now I'm questioning myself if mixing on these my headphones will translate well onto other speakers. Any suggestions?

If your music sound sounded flat on those Rockit's I have a feeling your musics not the best quality.

vnandy2k
03-07-2012, 12:03 AM
So DJ'ing with flat response speakers is the way to do it?

unsafe8989
03-07-2012, 12:05 AM

Do you have any equalization in your setups?
A little bit of Eq'ing to your choice and your speakers come alive. Everyone has a different Ear when using an equalizer.

vnandy2k
03-07-2012, 12:06 AM
You probably should have kept those Rockits...
So DJ'ing with flat response speakers is the way to go? Well the Rokit 8's were way to loud for my house with thin walls. I might have to go with some flat response headphones like Audio Technica ATH-M50's which won't hurt my bank too much.

If your music sound sounded flat on those Rockit's I have a feeling your musics not the best quality.
My music are 320kbps. The Rokit 8's sounds so boring to listen to compared to my bangin' Sony XB500 headphones. I really appreciate the responses guys. Thanks!

unsafe8989
03-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Explain your "flat" definition?
Do you mean as in low bass or low hi or mid frequencies?

vnandy2k
03-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Do you have any equalization in your setups?
A little bit of Eq'ing to your choice and your speakers come alive. Everyone has a different Ear when using an equalizer.
EQ'ing might be my problem since I haven't changed any settings. I will give that a try. Thanks!

vnandy2k
03-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Explain your "flat" definition?
Do you mean as in low bass or low hi or mid frequencies?

"Flat" as in I can hear all the flaws in my mixes and transitions. I can also hear every little intricate sound in the songs that I can't hear so well on other non-studio monitor speakers like my computer speakers or car speakers.

vnandy2k
03-07-2012, 12:14 AM
I guess my real question is, what kind of speakers do clubs and venues use? Do they use studio monitors as well? I want my set-up to be as similar as clubs and venues as possible because I hope to spin at one in the future.

unsafe8989
03-07-2012, 12:16 AM
As I mentioned spend some time adjusting your Equalization till you hit your sweet (G) spot.
Listen to a prerecorded mix of yours and
E'Q it for a long time till its set.

windspeed36
03-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Clubs use all sorts, KRK Rockits, JBL MRX, JBL PRX, QSC HPR112 ect. Depends on the venue. I've even provided sound at a festival and the monitors for the DJ consisted of 2 VRX918SP subwoofers and 4 VRX932LAP tops...

For choosing flat response headphones I yet again turn to Dave Rat to help you... He's the sound engineer for Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Linkin Park, Foo Fighters ect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJh8B1QfEn0&feature=plcp&context=C38551d8UDOEgsToPDskLuRSM-pnaPx6NoDE7cCbtx

vnandy2k
03-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Clubs use all sorts, KRK Rockits, JBL MRX, JBL PRX, QSC HPR112 ect. Depends on the venue. I've even provided sound at a festival and the monitors for the DJ consisted of 2 VRX918SP subwoofers and 4 VRX932LAP tops...

For choosing flat response headphones I yet again turn to Dave Rat to help you... He's the sound engineer for Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Linkin Park, Foo Fighters ect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJh8B1QfEn0&feature=plcp&context=C38551d8UDOEgsToPDskLuRSM-pnaPx6NoDE7cCbtx

Do clubs and venues, specifically trance music or EDM, use or supposed to use flat response speakers? Flat response speakers are the ideals?

Incognito
03-07-2012, 12:50 AM
I have been using the Audioengine A2 speakers lately & I just relegated them to my bedroom speakers for my TV (just because the OEM speakers on my LED TV suck) & after installing a DAC from my TV optical out it sounds great. Now for my DJ mixing at home use I plan to go with another pair of Audioengine speakers but I am presently debating between the A2 or the A5+, I have owned a couple studio monitors over the years (from my recording studio days) but the Audioengines are great little speakers (I wouldn't recommend them for critical studio work & mix downs though).

VjQue
03-07-2012, 01:01 AM
first off studio monitor's are not dj speaker's.

We just use them cause there small and were powered.

That's why you hear everything.

That's what there made for.

DTR
03-07-2012, 02:08 AM

There's more to it than that.

Too much emphasis is put on having a flat response. Any speaker can be EQ'd flat, it doesn't mean it will sound any good. You'll also find that most hifi speakers are spec'd as flat as KRKs or other cheap powered monitors.

ampnation
03-07-2012, 05:54 AM
Monitors like those rokits are great for production work BECAUSE you can hear all that detail meaning you can fix problems and know when you've got it right.

DJ / PA speakers aren't designed for that.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

unsafe8989
03-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Monitors like those rokits are great for production work BECAUSE you can hear all that detail meaning you can fix problems and know when you've got it right.

DJ / PA speakers aren't designed for that.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Hows that HTC Droid Incredible 2?:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Gjhowe1
03-07-2012, 10:38 AM
"Flat" as in I can hear all the flaws in my mixes and transitions. I can also hear every little intricate sound in the songs that I can't hear so well on other non-studio monitor speakers like my computer speakers or car speakers.

Not to be a troll or anything but i thought that was the point? Better speakers help you pinpoint and correct any mistakes you make in your set so you can improve?

I guess my real question is, what kind of speakers do clubs and venues use? Do they use studio monitors as well? I want my set-up to be as similar as clubs and venues as possible because I hope to spin at one in the future.

Clubs can use any kind of speaker, ive been to clubs where the mains are EAW speakers and if you mess up your EQ, you can hear it a lot better then if there running lower quality speakers. Honestly i would keep the KRK and just add one of their powered subs if you feel like your not getting a wide enough frequency response on them. Also using an EQ between your source and speakers helps a TONE!

Al Poulin
03-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Studio monitors are not capable of producing the SPL required for anything but bedroom or studio use and do not handle abuse well at all - as they are not designed for hi output applications. If you are looking to DJ wedings or clubs - or pretty much any venue - you need PA speakers - passive or active (passive requires an amplifier while active has the amplification built-in). Depending on your budget and applications, we can certainly suggest the better ones.

If you like the sound of those Sony headphones, you are going to want subs... I have those headphones and bought them based on the many positive reviews I read - but to me they don't sound very good - unless you apply quite a bit of EQ. All I hear is bass + deeper bass and more bass with very little definition in the mids or highs. The material that surrounds your ears is also squishy and messes up the sound if you move them at all. They have a sort of suction cup effect.

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

Connor
03-07-2012, 08:01 PM

Monitors are supposed to expose flaws, speakers aren't.