PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting DJF Trance Tourney 2013: ChrisHynds-vs-Budzak

Rek_Aviles
10-09-2013, 06:15 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/vf8eph.png
DJF TRANCE TOURNAMENT - ROUND 1

MIX 1 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8213521/DJF_Trance_Tournament_2013_ChrisHynds-vs-Budzak_1.mp3)

MIX 2 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8213521/DJF_Trance_Tournament_2013_ChrisHynds-vs-Budzak_2.mp3)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________

RULES:
Last track mix in time(s):

Round One: 30 minute mark

no required track.

Mixes will not be restricted in track number. Instead they will be restricted by time. The final track of each mix must (<- I cannot stress this enough) have started by the end minute mark listed below. If any mixes do not conform to this the id10t will be immediately eliminated.

The battles are to be decided on skills and programming, not specific genre tastes. Contestants are urged to vote all other battes aside from their own battle. It's good to be picky, this is a competition and you ideally want to have a perfect mix.

Voting
The battles will be posted as Username versus Username. Anyone still active in the championships will be REQUIRED to vote in ALL battles. Don’t expect any sympathy on this one, if I listen to your battle and vote you listen to my battle and vote = respect. Failing to do so will result in automatic disqualification. Eliminated contestants should show good sportsmanship and continue to listen to battles and vote. If there is a tiebreaker, I (DJForums Admin) will then vote.

MORE DETAILS CAN BE FOUND HERE:
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?31090-DJF-2013-Trance-Tournament-Thread-Rules-amp-Entry&p=299683&viewfull=1#post299683

**This poll will display users who voted, and what choice they've made.**

M!TCH
10-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Boom. Mixes downloaded, will have sometime during work tomorrow to listen to these babies. (Side note: also have a DSoT episode with Ellis to listen to Chris, I'll comment on that soon enough).

Vernski
10-10-2013, 01:28 AM
Just had a listen to Mix 1......Awesome (I think this guy knows what he's doing)

I'm a bit busy today, so I'll edit as i work out who has the better mix....

OK, I checked out mix 2 just then - time to decide.

Mix 1: Excellent structure and each track seemed to made for the next, it definitely sounds like a part of a greater piece of work but I would not penalise the mix for that however. For me this is another stand out mix in the tournament and it's on par with mix 2 of this battle> http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?32192-DJF-Trance-Tourney-2013-JackStalk-vs-Ignotus
My score 9/10 (I'm saving my 10/10 for the later sounds....:))

Mix 2: Really tough draw for you and would have been good for you to go up against someone from this battle...http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?32191-DJF-Trance-Tourney-2013-Era7-vs-M!TCH
It would have made for some interesting judging. As others have said, the track selections were really good. The only issue was how clean the transitions were. Apart from the transitions being a fraction out, 19min 20sec seemed to have too much treble action going on and could have used some reduction on one of the tracks. As Sedna posted earlier, finding some different mixing points apart from outro-intro would help the mix somewhat. http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?31090-DJF-2013-Trance-Tournament-Thread-Rules-amp-Entry&p=307294&viewfull=1#post307294 Having said all that though, I would be very proud of this mix if I had put it together.
My score: 6.5/10

Mix 1 it is.:tup:

ChrisHynds
10-10-2013, 04:29 AM
Boom. Mixes downloaded, will have sometime during work tomorrow to listen to these babies. (Side note: also have a DSoT episode with Ellis to listen to Chris, I'll comment on that soon enough).

Thanks mang :) look forward to it :tup:

JackStalk
10-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Mix 1 - Nice intro, but feels more like breaks than trance by 4m. The first 10 minutes really doesn't feel like trance. Noticeable transition at around 16:00, not bad but noticeable. Not a huge fan of the vocal clip at 22ish. Other than that the mix was fairly solid, no noticeable errors.

Mix2 - Intro is pretty minimal, volume is pretty low. Noticeable mix at 7ish, tracks could have been mixed cleaner. I feel like the energy really dies here because you mixed outro-intro. Energy dropped again at 12:30ish, shaky transition but you fixed it. I'm just not really feeling this mix because you keep waiting too long in between tracks, the energy should stay pretty fluid throughout the mix. Noticeable bass filtering at 20:00, possibly let it ride out a few bars to long in my opinion. Incoming track is good though, sarah howells? 25:25 could have been a cleaner mix, the incoming track was slightly louder for a second.

I definitely have to go with mix 1 on this one, the mixing was basically flawless. I hope mix 2 doesnt take the comments to heart and can ultimately use the criticism to become better at his craft.

deathsupport
10-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Mix 1 was very well done. Smooth and silky... and that is essentially my one gripe with the mix. There was some variety in song choice but it felt more like a 30min intro of a 2hr mix than a standalone mix. I'm sure that the full 2hr mix would be bangin :D but this had me wanting more.

Mix 2 was fun but had some issues. Transitions could be cleaner (should probably mess around with the EQ more during transitions - I'm just figuring this out myself, too), audio levels didn't always match up, and some mixes came too late. However, some transitions, like at the 20th minute, were really cool. They still need some fine tuning. I liked this as a 30min mix.

Gonna give the nod to mix 2, because I think a little more practice with the EQ will yield some really good results for this DJ later on in the comp. The structure is there, it just needs some help on the execution. Also, assuming I have figured out who made which mix, I doubt the DJ behind mix 1 will mind my comments too much about such a short mix.

DJ Difficult
10-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Listened and here comes my 2cents:
#1: Super clean. What more can I say? Flowed nicely and every songs was like written to eachother. Little variety in and this would be number one at this stage of the race. But definetly podium place :lol:

#2: Nice track selection. Easy listening for Friday morning. I think that I liked songs overal more in this mix than in #1. But execution wasn't as clean as it was in #1. First three transitions was energykillers. Better phracematching and we would talk about a whole new mix. Also EQing needs working. All was pretty noticeable. Later part of the mix was better.

#2 was a nice mix but don't have a chance against #1.

Vernski
10-11-2013, 08:15 AM
My vote is in....Mix 1

Ignotus
10-11-2013, 04:40 PM
mix 1 was super well done, nice effects and song choices, wasnt as up beat as i thought, you took a risk by playing a bit downtempo, and i dig it.

mix 2... first track, is one of my favorite tracks ever, need to put that in a set again soon. I got to be honest, i actually really liked this mix, not only because the tracks are my style, but, i thought it had more flow and character to it, and overall, in my opinion had a better story.

I personally vote mix 2

Delta V
10-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Mix 1: Great Intro! Great first mix. This track proves that everything sounds better with a break beat haha. Very smooth and flowing so far halfway in. Very spacey I like this. Lost count of the track but the breakdown at 22:00 felt abrupt and I really could've listen to pads and beats for the rest of the mix. Very quote heavy second half but I guess that goes with the psy trance feel. I really liked this mix, technically it was very good (perfect?) and the feel and sounds fit right at home in the Desert Trance scene.

Mix 2: More mainstream trance here, first mix at 7 seconds was okay but didn't feel as butter smooth as Mix 1s. Really like this second tune, great builder. Second mix was a fraction off it felt like. Another good tune but this mix so far doesn't seem as connected as Mix 1. Mix at 20 min was very nice! Last mix was nice too but there feels like too many vocal tunes in here.

Going with Mix 1, the mixing was very smooth, and the tracks seemed to easily flow.

mr_ragz
10-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Mix one: I really, really, really enjoyed it. I agree with the others that it feels like the start of something much bigger and better. That is a good thing and a bad thing. Thats what sucks about a 30 min trance set, it has to come in, do the message across as intended and get out. A hard thing to accomplish in 30 min and I don't think it did the job in that arena. The intro was killer! It was break-y but I thought it really set the tone. Loved the really hard dark beats and gritty bass that was really popular some years ago. From an artist stand point, this mix was really on point and from a dj stand point, it had a lot of really well executed technical merit. Really really awesome work over all.

Mix two: It has a lot of really great tracks that I really enjoy. It got in and out of the 30 minute issue with a good point getting across in the short time. My big only real issue is that the mixes weren't really that smooth and overall I felt that the set was pretty generic. Not bad over all though.

My vote goes to mix 1 and I will say that I think that this dj is a strong contender in this years championship.

Sedna
10-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Mix 1 - ...lol is all I have to say. A+. I own literally every track in this mix.

Mix 2 - On the fluffier side, which was actually kinda nice after listening to a lot of techy and psy influenced battles. I enjoyed it; mixing was good, just a bit too much vocal for my personal taste.

Mix 1 has it for me, perfect track selection executed flawlessly. Great job on Mix 2, though.

M!TCH
10-17-2013, 10:42 PM
Mix 1: Loving the intro. Tracklisting for sure needed. Flawless mixing in mix 1, energy maintained. The mixing was absolutely on point throughout this whole mix. I have no critiques on it. I'm not sure I knew a single tune out of this whole set. Another dangerous contestant in this tourney :eek: Mix 2, I hope you brought the noise to take this one on.

Mix 2: Not much of an intro, just kick-kick-kick. Volume seems a bit low on this mix. Not a huge fan of the first vocal track but not going to dock points for it. First mix was tight but could have been phrased a bit better, seemed like it was getting close to outro/intro mix without too many other elements to really fill the space outside of the kick and snare. Next mix was phrased better. I love this Tritonal track. Your structure is pretty good. Much better on the transition. You didn't lose the energy and if anything did a great job building it up.

My vote goes to mix 1. Enjoyed listening to both of these but mix 1 was damn near flawless.

tekno_violet
10-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Mix 1

Really liking the intro...very long but good, nice mix into t2,t2 to t3.... i like, i like. Half way through. Changes vibe toward the end.
I think the mixing was superb.. I wasn't too into the tracks at the end but thats my taste.

Thats a really polished mix you've brought to the table. 2 thumbs up.

Mix2

Interesting intro song. Im liking the tempo, vibe going into t2. Beats are off at t3 mix. Lots of vocal tracks coming in.. Was really excited for the last track as it came in hard.... but another vocal track.

Great mixing and energy. Better track selection (less vocals) was needed to get my vote.
Sorry mang, gotta give it to Mix1.

Another great battle. Good stuff!

ChrisHynds
10-19-2013, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the votes guys - I was mix 1 -

Battle Tracklist -

1 - Suffused - Year 2009 (Alfoa Remix) (Mystique Music)
2 - Gary Delaney - The Nightmother (You are my salvation Remix) (J00F V2)
3 - Relaunch - The Essence (Mystique Music)
4 - Simon Templar - Phenomenal (J00F Records)
5 - John 00 Fleming - Stroke Of The Midnight Hour (J00F Records)
6 - John 00 Fleming - The 10th Life (J00F Records)
7 - Christopher Lawrence & John 00 Fleming - Dark On Fire (J00F Records)

as a few of you pointed out, this is part of a longer set and the full set can be found here if anyone would like to listen :)

http://soundcloud.com/chrishynds_dj/new-deeper-shades-of-trance-16

http://soundcloud.com/chrishynds_dj/new-deeper-shades-of-trance-16

Full TL

1 - Suffused - Year 2009 (Alfoa Remix) (Mystique Music)
2 - Gary Delaney - The Nightmother (You are my salvation Remix) (J00F V2)
3 - Relaunch - The Essence (Mystique Music)
4 - Simon Templar - Phenomenal (J00F Records)
5 - John 00 Fleming - Stroke Of The Midnight Hour (J00F Records)
6 - John 00 Fleming - The 10th Life (J00F Records)
7 - Christopher Lawrence & John 00 Fleming - Dark On Fire (J00F Records)
8 - Lyctum - Future Intelligence (J00F Records)
9 - E-Clip & Egorythmia - Highest Technology (Iono Music)
10 - Yahel feat Tammy - Life Of Your Own (Perfecto Fluoro)
11 - Cosmithex - Cylinder (J00F Records)
12 - Solarstone - Love Theme From Bladerunner (Pure Mix) (Solaris)

JackStalk
10-20-2013, 12:29 AM
I feel like John paid you to use all tracks from his label :P

ChrisHynds
10-20-2013, 01:47 AM
I feel like John paid you to use all tracks from his label :P

hahah, yea he slipped my a $50 :P they're not all J00F, there's one mystique music track, haha