PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting DJF Trance Tourney 2013: Delta V -vs- DJ Difficult

Rek_Aviles
10-09-2013, 05:51 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/vf8eph.png
DJF TRANCE TOURNAMENT - ROUND 1

MIX 1 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8213521/DJF_Trance_Tournament_2013_DJDifficult_vsDeltaV1.m p3)

MIX 2 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8213521/DJF_Trance_Tournament_2013_DJDifficult_vsDeltaV2.m p3)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________

RULES:
Last track mix in time(s):

Round One: 30 minute mark

no required track.

Mixes will not be restricted in track number. Instead they will be restricted by time. The final track of each mix must (<- I cannot stress this enough) have started by the end minute mark listed below. If any mixes do not conform to this the id10t will be immediately eliminated.

The battles are to be decided on skills and programming, not specific genre tastes. Contestants are urged to vote all other battes aside from their own battle. It's good to be picky, this is a competition and you ideally want to have a perfect mix.

Voting
The battles will be posted as Username versus Username. Anyone still active in the championships will be REQUIRED to vote in ALL battles. Don’t expect any sympathy on this one, if I listen to your battle and vote you listen to my battle and vote = respect. Failing to do so will result in automatic disqualification. Eliminated contestants should show good sportsmanship and continue to listen to battles and vote. If there is a tiebreaker, I (DJForums Admin) will then vote.

MORE DETAILS CAN BE FOUND HERE:
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?31090-DJF-2013-Trance-Tournament-Thread-Rules-amp-Entry&p=299683&viewfull=1#post299683

**This poll will display users who voted, and what choice they've made.**

tekno_violet
10-10-2013, 03:46 AM
Mix 1.

I like the vibe you chose, your mix flowed pretty well throughout. A little pitta patter here and there. The ending was interesting.
I enjoyed alot of the tunes in this mix. Good stuff.

Mix 2.

Im digging the starting tempo, i think your exiting some mixes a tad too quick for my taste. Didn't hear any beat matching
eff ups which is a plus.

Had to go with Mix 1 on this. Mix 2 was a little exhausting for me after 30mins.
Nice work guys.

deathsupport
10-10-2013, 10:49 AM
I definitely enjoyed the song selection in Mix 2 more. Both had the blast-from-the-past beginning but I wasn't really ready for 30mins of the older sound in Mix 1. Mix 2 also had a good progression I thought - it kept building until the end, which was ok for 30mins. Mix 1 had the chill ending, which isn't my style, but also showed some variation.
However...

The battles are to be decided on skills and programming, not specific genre tastes.
I think Mix 2 was more fun but the mixing wasn't as good as Mix 1 to be frank. I made my decision near the beginning of listening to Mix 2... near the end I was almost convinced to change my mind, especially since it ended on "My Love", but it was hard to forget the first few transitions.

Mix 1 gets my vote.

JackStalk
10-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Mix1 - I'm digging the first track, its pretty sweet. Mixing is noticeable around 6:41, not terrible but I can hear the slight clipping of one of the tracks on the downbeat, easily couldve cleaned that up. They're drifting a little by 7:20 and then you just drop the outgoing track? Not a huge fan of the psy track at 14-18, but it doesnt detriment the mix. Filtering just seems off after 18:00, you're trying to swap from a breaks-beat to a trance beat again and I think it killed the energy a little, you don't always have to mix on the outro/intro, in a club it will kill your dance floor 75% of the time. Mix at 23:50 definitely noticeable, could have been a tighter beatmatch and could have let the outgoing track right out longer before dropping it off. 24:26 is almost more of a deep house vibe instead of trance, not a huge fan of the vocal.

Mix2 - No major issues with the technical side up through the first 10 minutes. The mix at 11-12 was slightly noticeable but pulled off well. I'm digging this old school vibe. The Psy track at 17:30ish isn't really my cup of tea. I cant stand the vocals. I basically just skipped that whole song. 23:15 was kind of a shaky transition, could have been cleaner, then you drop the volume on the main mix? Hm..probably would have been best to just leave it loud at that point. Another Psy track :blank:. Noticeable fadeout at 29:15ish. The track after 30 mins put me to sleep :\

Neither mix was perfect, but I'm going with Mix 2 on this one (even though I'm not much of a psy fan). I'm really nitpicky with these mixes because it's a competition and you ideally want to have a flawless 30 minutes.

Vernski
10-11-2013, 10:11 AM
I like this battle because for me it's really close and it won't be a landslide situation as with other battles.

Mix 1:I wasn't a fan of the first track but that comes down to personal taste. There were some slight errors on beatmatching 7min mark seemed to get out of whack. 13min 10sec had some extra effects that I thought you didn't need and I thought the next track was noticeably louder than the previous. @ 28 min, the sting track went a bit muffled not sure if was the track or your work - but I wasn't liking it too much. All in all it was a good mix, with tracks I did not hear before, except for the Don't stand so Close to Me remix - I liked that one.
I think you tried some interesting things for this mix
My score: 6.5/10

Mix 2:I actually listened to mix 2 first for a change, I really liked the track selections for this one, the last track was different but not a problem for me though. I believe I detected a hiccup at 6:37, the pitch changed quickly for moment. The transition at the 7min mark was not great for me harmonically - they seemed to clash bit. ( These bits I'm nitpicking a bit) Transition at 16min 20 with the filter needed more time to fade it out slowly - you were onto a good thing just needed a little more. Lastly at 29min 22 sec there was a volume drop on the incoming track and you will had the previous track pumping along at a lower volume, I would have tried to remove more of the last track to mask that issue.
My score 7/10

Dj's are supposed to read crowds, obviously no one can do that with a pre-recorded mix, but I thought that Mix 2 started a little rough but really kept getting better as it progressed. So mix 2 has my vote.

Ignotus
10-11-2013, 06:37 PM
will be playing vid games while listening, will vote on overall mixing and overall mix. so here we go!

Mix 1: At first i didnt think i was going to like this to much, but then it got into the mix, and it had this cool like 1998-2003ish "ols school" trance vibe.. and i love it. Reminds me of some older MIKE and mauro picatto stuff. All in all it was mixed very well, its going to be hard to beat this mix #2 lets see what you got.

Mix 2: The energy just seems really odd. A few key clashes that really stood out as well. Beatmatching was alright, but i think the phrasing was a bit off on most parts as well. All in all, with this battle, you didnt win me over vs mix #1

Mix #1 has my vote.

mr_ragz
10-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Mix 1: taking it back to the old school? I can dig it. I really enjoyed the first track. I was listening and it was pretty good but definitely dated, which is fine but not what I would personally put up or expect to hear in the tournament. Good mix over all for what it was.

Mix 2: Not really my flavour but it was cool. Beat matching seemed to be pretty good but there were some key clashes that made me cringe a bit, sorry to be so blunt.

My vote goes to mix 1 because it was more well structured and executed.

Sedna
10-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Mix 1 - Love the old school vibe. Oh snap, Hale Bopp coming in strong. Love it so far. 15 minutes in now and I can't even be bothered to comment because I'm loving this mix too much. Not a flaw yet. I'm probably going to vote against you so I don't have to match up with you in the future. I kid, I kid. Fuck man, I wish music was still this good. These were the days. Closing track was great, nice and mellow.

Other than a few incredibly minor mixing errors (expected with music as old as you were working with) this mix was perfect. Loved every second.

Mix 2 - Mixing was solid overall, though not perfect. Track selection was good too; heard a lot of music I liked. Overall, however, this mix just didn't vibe with me the way mix 1 did. It's unfortunate when two great mixes get paired up this early in the tourney, as I would have liked to see both of these DJs move on.

I have to go with mix 1. Cheers to both of you.

M!TCH
10-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Listening to this today. Delta, if I don't hear the mother of all intros in this I am not going to be happy :mad:

Mix 1: as everyone else said, very old school sounding mix. Mixing this older stuff requires more finesse as it is easier to get tracks drifting at certain pitches.

Mix 2: definitely need to work on phrasing and clashing keys. Wasn't bad by any means but it was noticeable. I enjoyed the structure of the mix.

My vote goes to mix 1. :shrug: I thought I had till tomorrow to vote in the poll, aren't they all closing on the 20th?!?!?

Delta V
10-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Thanks for voting guys!

ChrisHynds
10-19-2013, 08:38 PM
I listened to this in bed last night so my write up isnt as detailed as usual, Im going off what stood out to me most -

Mix 1 - had a really nice oldschool vibe to it and felt like it was mixed on vinyl, which gets extra points straight away in my book, the mixing had a few little hiccups here and there but nothing major just the odd beat clip and if its a vinyl set thats to be expected every now and again. I enjoyed the flow of the set it was a proper oldschool journey and felt like real trance to me, I really enjoyed this set and tbh with these kind of tunes the odd beatchmatching error adds to the authenticity of it, I love listening back to old early to mid 90's sets and hearing those little drifts and diggin the older tunes, thanks for this little piece of nostalgia :tup:

Mix 2 - The first thing that comes to mind here was the key clas on the first or second transition, cant remember which it was but it really stood out to me, your mixing in general was on point, similar to mix 1 tbh a few little hiccups here (keyclash) and there but nothing major, You change direction quite a bit midset and go into a nice Psy feel, it works well with the tracks you use. I didnt really get into the tracks as much as mix 1 but you did a great job with the set

Wrapping up -

Both sets to me sounded similar in terms of technical ability, they both had good structure but had a few minor hiccups with mixing, so as they are both similar it now comes down to preference to me, and I could listen to another 2 hours worth of mix 1 if it was there to listen to, really enojyed that set mate!

My vote goes mix 1- but great work to you both!

EDIT -

Poll is closed? I read the date yesterday as closes on 20th?

DJ Difficult
10-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Thanks for voters and to Delta! I was #2 (you might already know that :lol:).
Final result was better than I expected, got 2 votes and lot of good feedback. Thanks for that and good luck to Delta for the next round! Really loved that Hale Bop-track!

Delta V
10-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Thanks Difficult! And yeah that Der Dritte Raum track is lovely, everyone plays the Jackdaw Mix but the original is where it's at, one of my best secret weapons!