PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting DJF Trance Tourney 2013: JackStalk-vs-Ignotus

Rek_Aviles
10-08-2013, 06:17 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/vf8eph.png
DJF TRANCE TOURNAMENT - ROUND 1

MIX 1 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8213521/DJF_Trance_Tournament_2013_JackStalk-vs-Ignotus-1.mp3)

MIX 2 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8213521/DJF_Trance_Tournament_2013_JackStalk-vs-Ignotus-2.mp3)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________

RULES:
Last track mix in time(s):

Round One: 30 minute mark

no required track.

Mixes will not be restricted in track number. Instead they will be restricted by time. The final track of each mix must (<- I cannot stress this enough) have started by the end minute mark listed below. If any mixes do not conform to this the id10t will be immediately eliminated.

The battles are to be decided on skills and programming, not specific genre tastes. Contestants are urged to vote all other battes aside from their own battle. It's good to be picky, this is a competition and you ideally want to have a perfect mix.

Voting
The battles will be posted as Username versus Username. Anyone still active in the championships will be REQUIRED to vote in ALL battles. Don’t expect any sympathy on this one, if I listen to your battle and vote you listen to my battle and vote = respect. Failing to do so will result in automatic disqualification. Eliminated contestants should show good sportsmanship and continue to listen to battles and vote. If there is a tiebreaker, I (DJForums Admin) will then vote.

MORE DETAILS CAN BE FOUND HERE:
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?31090-DJF-2013-Trance-Tournament-Thread-Rules-amp-Entry&p=299683&viewfull=1#post299683

**This poll will display users who voted, and what choice they've made.**

Ignotus
10-08-2013, 06:35 PM
nice mix man!! gunna be a fun battle, cheers.

M!TCH
10-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Mixes are downloaded. Will do my best to listen to them at work tomorrow!

DJ Difficult
10-09-2013, 01:08 AM
Both mixes were great but my vote goes for #2.
#2 had (imo) better progression, #1had too much "to there and back" type of feeling. And transitions were cleaner in #2.
But big props for Binary Finary's 1998 in mix #1 :tup:

Vernski
10-09-2013, 05:05 AM
Well what can I say????
:worship:WOW:worship:

Both mixes were very solid and there was very little separating them in my opinion. I actually learned something here and I don't have much to offer in critique

MIX 1: A very good mix from beginning to end, I thought 16:15 transition was a bit loose but that was it. I give it 8/10

MIX 2: Very polished mix, this kind of work is that I aspire to. From programming to execution it was all there for me, You did have me worried with the 20:30 fade out :lol: I thought WTF!!! it's a 30 minute mix, don't fuck it now - but you pulled off a nice trick there :tup: My score is 9/10

By the way, it's a shame you guys met so soon in the tournament, should have met later on....

Mix 2 it is

M!TCH
10-09-2013, 06:31 PM
Mix 1: Interesting intro, definitely need a track ID. Loving it. Wasn't a huge fan of the mix at around 3 minutes. Seemed a bit abrupt, levels were on point though. Next transition was solid. Definitely don't want to go up against this person in the finals :ninja: mix after 16:00 was a bit off. Thanks for not letting it ride out though. Beautiful mix. On to mix 2.

Mix 2: I absolutely love this intro track (is this an edited version?, seems a bit different than mine). First mix very chilled out mix, second track came in a bit louder and first track felt like it ended a bit too quick. Second track vocals are beautiful, track definitely picked up but not overly so with regards to the energy, very tight mixing on the third mix, lost a bit of the energy though on the phrasing which almost seemed like a bit of a let down and more of an intro/outro mix. Volume seemed to dip and almost feel like the mix was quiet and then as the next track builds, this could have been phrased better. With the energy of this track you definitely should have just kept the energy constant or building between that last mix. Sounds like another outro/intro mix coming at 20:00 or so. Your mixing is spot on but you definitely need to work on the phrasing as you're losing a lot of energy with this mix and it isn't an ambient trance mixed based on how much energy some of these tracks bring in.

I'm going to have to vote for mix 1. I like how mix two did on transitions but set structure which to me is definitely a part of your ability as a DJ is important. Mix 2 definitely got more feedback (sorry mix 1). I was hesitant to choose mix 1 as the phrasing and tightness of mix 2 was superior, however, mix 2 could have had so much more to it had you choosen better mixing points.

tekno_violet
10-10-2013, 03:06 AM
Mix 1

Nice start, sweet mix into track 2. levels off on third track. Beats are off heading into track 5 i believe.

Great effort - liked the tunes a lot.

Mix 2

Sweet start. Pretty damn near perfect sounding to me. This mix is of a high level.

Two thumbs up.

Mix 2 has my vote ,Great battle guys.

deathsupport
10-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Two very good mixes! There isn't too much to say so comments will be short.
Mix 1 had the energy. You finished on a calmer track but I wish the intro was more pronounced e.g. using a chill track to get into the mix rather than just the intro/breakdown of a higher energy one (kind of personal preference). Transitions were good, but some could have been a little better.
Mix 2 had variety. Props for also getting some vocals in there. Everything was quality - there was only one transition I didn't really like.

Very close, but my vote goes with #2.

ChrisHynds
10-12-2013, 05:38 AM
Ok Mix 1 -

Nice Intro track, good energy

Mixing intro track 2 - could have been a little bit tighter, not off by much but there were a few noticeable clips with the incoming track, big change in key between the two tracks.

Mixing into track 3 - both tracks are in the same key and fit very well but this could have been a much tighter transition if the levels were better, Binary Finary - think this is the James Dymond remix, choon.

Mixing into track 4 - beat matching is good but your phrasing and eq-ing are way too early, Binary Finary track is still going through its breakdown and you have already Eq-ed the incoming track in fully, both tracks sit well together and keep that nice uplifting flow

oh this guy :) dropping the classics - Van Dyk Rendevouz :tup:

Mixing out of Rendevouz into track 5 - didnt really sit too well, a few little clips in beatmatching and not really sure whats going on, did you fade out Rendevouz completely? Would like an ID on this one, sounded like Patterson - Contraband then it went into something else?

Mixing into track 6 - again a little beat clip, basic intro/outro, into - Southern Sun - Angry Man remix for the win - fucking CHOOON :)

Mixing into track 7 - basic intro outro again, beatmatching and phrasing were better this time, big drop in energy, taking things to a finish, nice uplifting sounds to chill things out.

Wrapping up on Mix 1 -

Some very nice tracks, but the mixing could have been better, some good mixes some average mixes, a few noticeable errors with phrasing, in all it was a nice listen but never flowed well due to the mixing.

Ok Mix 2 -

I had written out a breakdown of my vote and my laptop decided to shit itself, so I cant be fucked going through it all again, as this is the 4th set in a row Ive listened to and need some head space.

Anyways, solid set, one of the best Ive listened to in terms of mixing so far, nothing stood out of place, tracks were nice for the most part, not my usual style but it was nice to listen to and there were a few really nice melodic tracks, the vocal on track 2 stood out to me, very nice.

Overall

Again same story as the previous sets I listened too, I prefer the style and tracks in mix 1 but Im gonna go with mix 2 due to the fact the mixing was much better and the set had a nice flow due to this.

Nice work from both Dj's but I vote Mix 2

Sedna
10-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Mix 1 - love the tune selection here. Great energy start to finish. Some of the mixing could have been a wee bit better as I heard some mids clashing at a few points, but overall pretty smooth. Loved the placement of 1998.

Mix 2 - mixing was a bit better than 1, but I liked the track selection in 1 better. I wanna see a track list for this one, because even though I didn't know most of the tracks I feel like I know who the artists were (kyau & albert, rafael frost?). Good mix overall.

I choose mix one. It just hit home a bit more for me.

mr_ragz
10-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Mix 1: If you're going to open with a Darude, track it should ALWAYS be sandstorm :slayer: (I keed) No shortage of good tracks in this mix.

Mix 2: I really like this mix. The sounds appealed to me a lot.

Usually I have more to say. I liked the heavyness of mix one, but the more melodic stuff in mix 2, my vote goes to 2.

Delta V
10-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Mix 1: Woahhhh nice intro, Darude Music if i remember right. Mix was alright, more high energy trance on this second tune I like it. Very good mix into 1998. Out of 1998 was again alright, my version of this tune is way different, feels like your playing updated versions of some classics. Took a risk out of the mix of rendezous, just a simple filter sweep but i kinda like the variety of mixing and it keeps the energy up. Mix turning sorta Psy trance here and then a remix of sunthern sun comes in. Last tune a bit more chilled. Pretty good mix, a lot of energy and the mixing was decent.

Mix 2: Like this first tune. First mix was very tight. 2nd mix was great as well. Really letting the tracks play out in contrast to mix 1. Can't really comment much on this mix I didn't know any of the tunes and the mixing all seemed to be intro / outro, mixed very well.

I'm going to vote for Mix 1, it took some more risks, had some variation in energy levels and seemed to have more variety of tunes.

Ignotus
10-18-2013, 10:14 PM
thanks for voting, i am mix 2. great battle jack

cheers

M!TCH
10-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Nice work Alex! I hope you tighten up some of that phrasing and absolutely demolish in the next round!

JackStalk
10-19-2013, 12:51 AM
Here's my tracklist. I basically went with the style that I play live, I like holding a high energy room compared to most of the other mixes in round 1. It's funny because I played the identical setlist live the night after I uploaded and nailed it perfectly :furious:

0.00 Darude - Music (Bostik Remix)
3.20 Christopher Lawrence - Tremor - (Sean J Morris Remix)
7.45 Binary Finary - 1998 (James Dymond Remix)
11.47 Paul Van Dyk, Tilt - Rendezvous (Thomas Datt Remix)
16.27 Peter Plaznik, Chemical Content 1 - The Swamp (Jordan Suckley Remix)
22.06 Paul Oakenfold - Southern Sun (Angry Man Remix)
26.50 Crimson - Definition of a Dreamstate (Daveij Remix)

Congrats Ignotus! I guess it's a new trend starting that the host of the tournament goes out in the first round @chrishynds :P

Budzak
10-21-2013, 04:27 PM
Had I not been a doofus and missed the voting (Why did I think I had a few more days?) Mix 2 would have got my vote.

Mix 1 had such a great intro, and damn I was feeling certain that was it from the get-go.

But then Mix 2 came in and vultured my vote. Great job on both, though!

Ignotus
10-22-2013, 01:30 AM
Tracks
Alis Volat Propiis - Frequent Flyer Miles (A.K.A Me)
I'll Be There - Store N forward
Caffeine - 7 skies
Another Joy - Skytech
Once In a Life (Tritonal Remix) - Kyau/Albert

Cheers!

thehadgi
10-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Alis Volat Propiis - Frequent Flyer Miles (A.K.A Me)

:tup:

:music: