PDA

View Full Version : 2 Moving Heads + Easy DMX Control

DYM
10-06-2013, 09:23 AM
I am looking for 2 moving heads, no gobos, just wash, that will shoot up a banquet hall. Those are easy to find... the catch is that I need an easy DMX solution to control them.

Looking for all options!

BillESC
10-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Blizzard's Flurry Q is a moving head wash featuring seven 10w quad RGBW diodes and available for well under $ 400. They can be easily controlled via an Obey 40 or similar type controller.

DYM
10-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Blizzard's Flurry Q is a moving head wash featuring seven 10w quad RGBW diodes and available for well under $ 400. They can be easily controlled via an Obey 40 or similar type controller.

Looking for the next step up, a moving head that I will always be able to use no mater what is in my rig.

DJzrule
10-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Looking for the next step up, a moving head that I will always be able to use no mater what is in my rig.

70 watts of RGBW power is a pretty damn big step.

DYM
10-06-2013, 05:36 PM
70 watts of RGBW power is a pretty damn big step.

Blade QFX?

BillESC
10-06-2013, 06:20 PM
That would change the budget a bit. MAP is $ 799.99 on the QFX and also require a larger controller. I'll be happy to quote you since I'm a Blizzard dealer.

DYM
10-06-2013, 07:55 PM
That would change the budget a bit. MAP is $ 799.99 on the QFX and also require a larger controller. I'll be happy to quote you since I'm a Blizzard dealer.

My concern is the difficulty of controlling it...

BillESC
10-06-2013, 08:49 PM
With a controller like the Obey 70, I could have you saving your first scene to memory in under 2 minutes over the phone.

After that it is simply repeat, save, repeat, save, repeat.

RGBlite
10-06-2013, 10:57 PM
DYM, the Flurry Q is bright enough, I just bought one. But I was disappointed to find that it's TILT range is 180 degrees, not 270 as quoted on many dealers websites, AND IN THE MANUAL. Blizzard has it correct on their website. SO, if you mount it on it's base, it won't hit the floor, and if you mount it hanging upside down, it won't hit the ceiling. I guess I wouldn't call it "versatile". I'm not trying to kill a sale here, but I thought you should know of this popular typo.

DYM
10-07-2013, 06:34 PM
DYM, the Flurry Q is bright enough, I just bought one. But I was disappointed to find that it's TILT range is 180 degrees, not 270 as quoted on many dealers websites, AND IN THE MANUAL. Blizzard has it correct on their website. SO, if you mount it on it's base, it won't hit the floor, and if you mount it hanging upside down, it won't hit the ceiling. I guess I wouldn't call it "versatile". I'm not trying to kill a sale here, but I thought you should know of this popular typo.

Would two of these light up a school gym v. The QFX? They will be mounted upside down, by the way.

DJzrule
10-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Would two of these light up a school gym v. The QFX? They will be mounted upside down, by the way.

Would they be bright enough to project a huge spot wash in a gym, yes. Light up a gym? No, that you'll need pars for. Blizzard Hotbox and American DJ Flat-Par Tri7X or the American DJ QWH5X come to mind.

DYM
10-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Would they be bright enough to project a huge spot wash in a gym, yes. Light up a gym? No, that you'll need pars for. Blizzard Hotbox and American DJ Flat-Par Tri7X or the American DJ QWH5X come to mind.

I currently use two Blizzard Pixel Storms, going to add these heads in conjunction with them. I really want to have them do the same colors... Thinking I need computer DMX....

DYM
10-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Ultimately thinking of using my two pixel storms to uplight the wall behind me, have two moving heads on either side of a t-bar behind me, and I'm thinking about the Blizzard Snowbank for a center wash light.... Am I making the right decisions here?

DJzrule
10-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Ultimately thinking of using my two pixel storms to uplight the wall behind me, have two moving heads on either side of a t-bar behind me, and I'm thinking about the Blizzard Snowbank for a center wash light.... Am I making the right decisions here?

For a gym you'd need at least 2 of the snowbanks if you want the DANCE FLOOR lit up. If you want the GYM lit up, I'd want 4-6 of them. A gym automatically dictates you need a much bigger sound system and lighting rig than you standardly use.

DYM
10-08-2013, 11:16 AM
For a gym you'd need at least 2 of the snowbanks if you want the DANCE FLOOR lit up. If you want the GYM lit up, I'd want 4-6 of them. A gym automatically dictates you need a much bigger sound system and lighting rig than you standardly use.

For school dances in gyms I would also use the pixel storms for dance floor wash... The above I would use for Sweet 16s and smaller proms.

BillESC
10-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Let's put something into perspective...

PixelStorm - 9 x 3w diodes.

SnowBank - 32 x 3w diodes.

QFX - 12 x 10w diodes.

Knowing what the PixelStorms can do, you should now be able to understand what the other two can do.

DYM
10-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Thank you so much Bill!

BillESC
10-09-2013, 09:46 AM
DYM, Your PM Inbox is full.

djrojas
10-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Bill, I tried the Blizzard moving heads you mentioned, I'm completely thrown off by its brightness, but for the price it got the job done

BillESC
10-22-2013, 08:11 PM
Bill, I tried the Blizzard moving heads you mentioned, I'm completely thrown off by its brightness, but for the price it got the job done

Wish you'd bought them from me.

DYM
10-23-2013, 04:42 PM

Explain please

BillESC
10-24-2013, 11:10 AM
If he's referring to the QFX I suspect they were too bright.