PDA

View Full Version : $1000 budget aprox. - Need PA speakers

entheos406
03-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Looking for something I am not going to have to worry about, turning my behringer s1530's into backup or ceremony music speakers.

Anyway, I have a behringer 4000 and a behringer 2500 running through a crossover to behringer 400W tops and 700w subs. Looking for something beefy to replace my tops. Don't want to spend more than $500 each. Was looking at some Peavy sp6 or whatever they are called. 1200 watt power handling, looked nice, but also seemed like they would be hard to put on a stand at 95 lbs a piece. What do you guys recommend I upgrade to?

DJ Donnie Lewis
03-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Behringer neo 815s. 944 shipped for 2. Great speakers.

Or

Rcf 312as. A little less $ then the 815s and also great speakers

Both are powered

entheos406
03-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the input. I have heard a lot about the art312a, but I don't like powered speakers. I know I will probably switch to powered speakers for my NEXT setup, but I really like having all of the control in my rack mount. I subbed for a local DJ and used his behringer powered speakers and was fretting all night about the volume level and whether or not the clip light was blinking on the back of the speaker. Sure enough the tweeter went out 45 minutes into the set and came on and off all night.

LiteTrix
03-06-2012, 06:03 PM
What type of events do you do? How many people?

Going passive instead of active might cost you more.

entheos406
03-06-2012, 06:30 PM
I do mostly weddings, getting in to proms, usually have 100-250 people. Sometimes these events are outdoors.

I'm looking to keep my main system passive

LiteTrix
03-06-2012, 06:58 PM
The EV SX300 are an option. If you look in the right places you should be able to get them for 500 each. Your going to be using these with one of the Behringer amps right?

windspeed36
03-06-2012, 07:07 PM
RCF ART312A you can get a pair new for $1k, QSC K12 or JBL PRX612M you can get used for $1K - they are all great speakers.. I would stay away from those Behringers..

LiteTrix
03-06-2012, 07:44 PM
^^^^^ Exactly what I was going to recommend, but he wants to stay with passive speakers. I'm not sure if its because he already has Behringer amps and wants to utilize one those with whatever speakers he buys or what the deal is. I would recommend selling one of those amps and putting the money toward some good quality active speakers.

Even if he buys a good pair of passive cabs, he will be driving them with those Behringer amps and who knows what they might sound like.

Schreiber
03-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I'm also putting my vote in for the RCF art 312a speakers. Just sell the amp, you won't regret it.

shawno
03-06-2012, 09:31 PM
I subbed for a local DJ and used his behringer powered speakers and was fretting all night about the volume level and whether or not the clip light was blinking on the back of the speaker. Sure enough the tweeter went out 45 minutes into the set and came on and off all night.

Just because you had a bad experience with one brand of powered speakers, doesn't mean all powered speakers are built like Behringers. Look at it this way, even though 1 tweeter was sketchy at least you had a mid and another full speaker working. Now if one of your amps die, so do both passive speakers it's driving. :diaf:
Go for the ART312As. Do it. I pulled the trigger on some RCF's to replace some passive Yammies and couldn't be happier.

VjQue
03-07-2012, 12:31 AM
I can believe your doing weddings with those behringers.

My friend brought some from pro sound 2 years ago black friday sale. $99.00

he blew them the next day got them repaired and they blew again.

now there sitting in his room as a table.

You can get 2 good Jbl passive's speakers for $1k

But your going to have to get rid of them behringer amps.

I run all Passive stuff with only 2 powered tops for my bar I spin at.

There both Harbinger but all the componets are JBL & The sub is Passive Jbl.

P.s I need something cheap to run at the bar. didnt want to use my Meyer Sound or Jbl & Eaw stuff.

so I got the Hb off ebay blown and replaced them with some backup jbl speakers and tweeters.

ampnation
03-07-2012, 06:07 AM
I would take a look at the new jbl prx412m. Call dealers to get their best price.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

entheos406
03-07-2012, 07:26 AM
I have been happy with the behringer EP2500, and the EP4000 seems to be doing about the same. I think its because I never have to turn them more than half way up to fill a hall with sound. I am also fairly impressed with the way they s1530 sounds. The plywood cabs sound better than some plastic cabs I've heard. The EP2500 is a QSC clone and from what I've heard the amp is a workhorse. That doesn't mean it can't go down, but if it does I can simply run my tops and subs off of one amp and let the built in crossovers do the work. Not ideal, but it will work. As far as sound goes I have been asked to turn it down in very large halls.

Synergy
03-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Ive got my B-52 Matrix 1000 v2 and am very pleased with them. Easy set up and teardown and they sound loud and full. 899.

DJ Donnie Lewis
03-07-2012, 07:59 AM
RCF ART312A you can get a pair new for $1k, QSC K12 or JBL PRX612M you can get used for $1K - they are all great speakers.. I would stay away from those Behringers..

Why? Whats your experience with them?

windspeed36
03-07-2012, 02:18 PM

Quite a few Behringer products - B215D had a very poor build quality and when I pushed the speaker both cabinets had a rattle comming from inside them. 250w Behringer passive cabs - had a very bad overall sound. Behringer mixer - faders died after 18 months. Behringer mixer - FX pannel that wouldnt start at the begining of a gig turned on halfway through speeches...

LiteTrix
03-07-2012, 02:54 PM

Overall Behringer is a very low end company. Ask any professional sound engineer what their opinions of Behringer is and they won't have any positive things to say about them.

Johnnotestine
03-07-2012, 03:20 PM
If you are set on passive cabs I would take a look at the FBT line. The verve 12m's are incredible passive cabs, they might be slightly out of your price range but not much.

The FBT Evomaxx 4's are $500 a speaker: http://www.fullcompass.com/product/412864.html?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps

DJ Donnie Lewis
03-07-2012, 03:38 PM
The 215s are 150$ powered speakers. I wouldn't expect them to perform well. You should really take a second and listen to the 8series and let me know what you think. It's not like older behringer products. I've had the 415s for about 4 years. Used very hard. Never an issue, knock on wood... I just bought a pair of 815s and the sound is very goid

DJ Donnie Lewis
03-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Overall Behringer is a very low end company. Ask any professional sound engineer what their opinions of Behringer is and they won't have any positive things to say about them.

I would choose rcfs over behringer but like my post above I just don't see the problem. The 815s bloooooow away new mackies

DJMC
03-07-2012, 03:42 PM
I would take a look at the new jbl prx412m.

I would take a look, and probably walk away after listening to them.

Cosmetically (grills on) -- they look like PRX "Passive" speakers.

Grills off -- you can quickly see they are not the same components found on PRX 600 Powered loudspeakers.

Look at the weight! PRX 412m is 38 pounds and has no amps built in. PRX 612m is 34 pounds (lighter) and has 1000w built-in Crown amplifiers.

The spec sheet is really telling -- only 300 watts RMS is recommended for PRX 412m -- the PRX 612m is rated at 1000 w/RMS.

IMO -- the new PRX 400 Series is a step up from JRX, it will attract entry level shoppers.

If I were looking passive -- I'd jump to SRX and stay away from the Passive PRX 400 series.

The subwoofer is really sad!

entheos406
03-07-2012, 04:49 PM
I agree, Behringer is crap. With some items you luck out, but it just depends on whether or not the person at the factory was afforded enough bathroom breaks to put your stuff together correctly. It is a total crapshoot. That being said, my behringer has held up well, sounds better than other plastic cabs I've used and provides enough sound for what I've needed. Especially considering you can't even count on the big boys to make stuff like they used to, it's really hard to say what one should buy. If I knew I could buy a QSC amp and abuse it for 20 years and it would sound like the day I bought it, I would buy one. 20 years ago that was the case. It's not true today.

I did some research online and pulled the trigger on some Yamaha S115v Club Series speakers.
I realized I will not be able to upgrade like I wanted now, but I still need another set of speakers to do ceremony music and for backup. The Yamahas are durable, sound good and I got a pair for $540 restocked, used a $100 credit I had sitting in my account and for $440 they will arrive at my door in a week.

Seems like a good compromise to me. When I am looking to ditch my behringer subs I will sell them for whatever I can get and grab some passive JBL subs or something like that. Next upgrade I will buy some light and powerful amps and ditch my box-o-brick behringers or keep them as backups. Then from there I will probably build everything active. Go with the RCF, maybe even splurge on their new stuff with the 2" voicecoil instead of the 1". Those QSC powered speakers are sexy and I imagine the cab gives better sound than the RCF cab.

DJWhiteChoco
03-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Just bought a pair of these... just under 1000$. I was suspect about Behringers also but they sound pretty good.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B815NEO.aspx

DJ Donnie Lewis
03-07-2012, 06:41 PM
^^ agreed

windspeed36
03-07-2012, 07:12 PM
His budget is $1k - which would you go? Behringer - the company with a questionable quality past and an uncertain future or RCF - a very high quality company with a good reputation

Synaxis
03-07-2012, 07:50 PM
His budget is $1k - which would you go? Behringer - the company with a questionable quality past and an uncertain future or RCF - a very high quality company with a good reputation

Very well put. Why take a change with a company that has had questionable results, when you know you WILL get a great product with a reputable company for your same amount of money?

That's like choosing between a pizza chain and the local pizzeria. Both have the same prices, but the local pizzeria will (almost) always be more delicious.

DJWhiteChoco
03-08-2012, 12:10 PM
trying to find powered speakers for under 1000$ is hard.

Al Poulin
03-08-2012, 12:25 PM
trying to find powered speakers for under 1000$ is hard.

There are actually plenty of good powered speakers for 1000$ a pair or less. My favorites are Yorkville YX15Ps and Samson Auro D415s (but would certainly be RCF ARt 312As if I could get them at the 450$ that has been available to US buyers for the last year or so). The new Alto True Sonics also look very good (and sexy as well) for their price.

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

SAVAIRE
03-09-2012, 04:32 AM
I own a pair of the RCF ART 312A's and am very satisfied. It takes a lot to get them to clip. I've used them for events the size that the OP has used. Picked up mine new for $854, but if you look around you can get them for $800 or less for the pair. Just talk them down and say you are going to take the company that offers the best deal.

ReelDiel
03-09-2012, 05:51 AM
do yourself and your back a favor go for the rcf312's, sell those berhinger amps and start saving for a powered sub. You said your next set up will be powered???why wait. I was big on my passive system and i sold qsc amps, and all the crap i was hauling around. Went to 2 rcf 310's and a pair of yorkie 720p's best move i ever made. Set up time was cut in half. I kept my dcx2496 for some tweaking if i need. if your worried about clipping you powered tops all night, their two small for the job. If you know your system and how to set it up tthat should not be an issue, unless of course its to small for the gig.