PDA

View Full Version : Library organization

Philhouse
03-06-2012, 10:45 AM
This is an artical I found on dj tech tools and thought it would be good to have over hear (if it's not already)

The klay system

These days, it seems like every DJ is using a laptop but they feel like a double edged sword, providing opportunity and creating new obstacles to creativity at the same time. Have you ever been stuck at a critical moment thinking, “Sh&%- what was the name of that song?! – It would be perfect!” *Only to watch the countdown wind down to zero and then have no choice but to drop a dancefloor killer. In this article I will attempt to provide a few suggestions for music tagging that will help organize your giant collection into something more*navigable.

This article concentrates on the NI Traktor software I use, but the idea can be used for other software as well. We advocate using the tools that fit your needs best, not*necessarily*the specific brands covered. The first thing I do when purchasing music is to edit the MP3 tags and fill in the critical details for Artist, Title, Key, Genre, Import Date, Comments and finally Rating. Today, we are going to focus on the last three.

RATING

For many of you the rating may seem totally useless. Where is the sense in rating your tracks from one star to five when five stars means it´s a great track and one star means that it´s bad? Why would you even keep a bad track you don´t like on your hard drive? personally I don’t rate the quality of the tracks, but the FEEL. More specifically: The vibe it would create in my sets or when it might be played. Think about these basic ideas:

1 star tracks: These are tracks which you would play in the opening period of your sets, the hours when the club just opened or which create such a feeling for you. The beginning. The deepest or “softest” sounds you own.
3 star tracks: These tracks are best used in the main hours of your set. When you play these tracks, you’re right in the middle of your set and keep the vibe going. Or again they create such a vibe for you.
5 star tracks: Right here you have the peak time tracks, the banging stuff, the closing tracks, the hardest stuff on your hard drive,… You get the idea.
You may be wondering, what about the 2 and 4 star ratings? Well, you are welcome to use shades of grey (not every track can be a 5 star banger) but its*helpful*to focus on 3 main groupings.

This doesn’t mean that you play 1 star track after 1 star track, then switch to a 2 star track and go on to a 3 star track. Its neither a mathematical scheme, nor a “dummy list” for untalented DJs. This is a handy*reference*for remembering important details about songs in a large library. *The biggest advantage is to be able to sort your library by rating.

COMMENTS

The next important thing for me to focus on is the “Comments” tag. Fill in any information you think of when listening to the track, Ideally Something that will trigger a memory of the sound. *Without cover art, its hard to get a feeling for a song with just text so the description should be just that – descriptive! *It can be the lyrics of the vocals, a personalized description of the sound (deep techy latin groover), a name of a festival where I heard it first, or another track it would fit perfectly with.

That results in comments like :

“Vocal and groovy”, “Latin”, “Percussive”, “Circo Loco”, “6.15 in the morning”, “Perfect for acapellas”, “Miami bomb”, “Deep & atmospherique”, “Robot vocals”, “Tool”.
These types of comments provide a *little reminder of the track`s spirit. It also helps quickly find a vocal track to play after a period of groovy and instrumental tracks to keep the vibe fresh and balanced.

Keeping the “Ratings” and “Comments” in mind when you DJ with somebody else, you can theoretically even share your library with him/her as they can see the rating, read the comments and possibly find a suitable track until you return from the bathroom. Remember that I said THEORETICALLY. Its always best, when you know the tracks you´re playing.

IMPORT DATE

I would never leave out this tag in the sortable column because it is the the fastest way to find the freshest tracks. Just click on it and your tree gets sorted by the date you added the track to the collection. So in any folder with one click you have the latest additions and can easily find that fresh new record. For the CD-DJs this is like the latest sleeve of your CD case. It also helps me to refresh my playlist folders as I normally delete some of the oldest additions to clean it up a bit.

PLAYLIST FOLDERS

A good thing about the digital DJ softwares is the endless supply of “crates” or “folders”. In Traktor you also have the possibility to make them favorites and place them above your browser tree for easy access (crates). Now how can you categorize these folders?

The first folder I created is called “DJ Bag”. Thinking of back in the days when I started to DJ with my vinyls, the “Track Collection” folder is like the whole vinyl collection you have at home and the “DJ Bag” folder is the record bag you pack before a gig and where you put selected tracks that would fit best for the set.

Its important to keep the “DJ Bag” fresh and up-to-date, so make sure not to spam it and to refresh it from time to time by deleting some of the tracks in there. Don´t be afraid, they will only be deleted from the folder “DJ Bag” if you do it right and are still available in the “Track Collection”. Don’t add too many tracks in there, in my case its a number between 100 – 120 for a normal set.

My second folder is called “Big Ones” where I put in all the big bombs, the timeless highlights and my little secret diamonds. I only delete tracks there when I get tired of a track or when it´s no longer a biggie for me. When the time has come for a music bomb, or a track to blow the crowd away, quickly jump to this folder and you will have a long list to choose from.

The third folder is called “Classics & Hits” where I add some of the well known tracks or famous classics to be prepared if the crowd asks for some tracks they know or can sing to. Usually the big Miami/Ibiza anthems of the season or old classics.

The fourth folder is called “Acapellas & Tools”. The name says it all.

The fifth folder is titled “Own Tools”. That’s the library of my own samples which I produced, or recorded using live loops or the loop recorder in Traktor 2.

Please don’t take these methods as the best for you. They work well for me in my radio show and live shows so please pick and choose if anything seems like a good fit for you. *This is not a step-by-step-introduction of how to DJ right, the love for the music and the DJs passion has to come first always. It’s just a little help when you need a hand for finding the perfect next track. Don´t follow these systems all the time as inspiration is way more important.

Defiance
03-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Just this saturday, I played my first time out on Serato using the 'crates' that I had freshly put together. It wasn't until I was playing live that I realized that I was having a hard time getting a flow because I didn't have any of the 'custom' tagging on my music, and on top of that it was all in new places.

blackfoxbb
03-06-2012, 12:50 PM
“Sh&%- what was the name of that song?! – It would be perfect!” *.

so it's not only me uhm?

great article man.

TooHypE
03-06-2012, 01:08 PM
so it's not only me uhm?

great article man.

Seriously i am in the same boat wit you guys & great article :tup:

Austin GoGreen
03-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Make life easy and create a Peak Hour and Opening Set Folder. Also create a playbook of pre-mapped mixes and crates for smaller sets.

Here's a glimpse into part of my crate organization, there are many subcrates but this will give you an idea:

Opening

Peak Hour

Transitions
Segways/Piss-Breaks

Sets
- Club
- - 125-128 Can't Handle It
- - 127-132 Lights
- - 129-132 Tonight
- Hip Hop
- - Money
- - Ladies
- - Bring it Back

I would say that I play live without pre-planned set's about 60% of the time. The other 40% I'm playing set's that i've previously planned. That may be something that I came up with that week or earlier in the day. I ALWAYS read the crowd and always play what I know my crowds like. Sometimes I throw out a curve ball to find new things that work.

Jimanee
03-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Interesting, but no competition with using Rapid evolution...

mostapha
03-06-2012, 05:10 PM
I find that the best thing to do is to keep small-ish "crates" and pick music for them the same way I would with crates of vinyl…sort each one by BPM, and make sure everything has cover art.

IMHO, if you need too much further tagging, you have too much music and need to purge. Obviously, other people disagree.

Also, I don't tag anything by Key anymore, because I think harmonic mixing–other than just not playing tracks that clash in your headphones–is stupid.

Ferrealz
03-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the tip. The thing I really lag behind is music organization. Should of started making crates when I got into DJing with serato.

DJ Matt
03-06-2012, 08:03 PM
very good article

i organize things similar my folder is called "record box" :P

where i keep individual tracks, but i never thaught to delete them, i just create a new one every year

i use comments exactly the same as you do but i focus on how dancy it is. ie mellow-not dancable at all, very hard dance track, or cheesy hip hop remix etc....

star ratings , i use for relevance ie. the customer told me they love this one, or i know they will love it

for my own music, latin music i use this rating

*= shite
**=does nothing for me
***=aright
****= good but not very well known
*****= definitely will wanna use this one

A-Z the folder then makes a lot easier to find good tracks when i need em even if i dont remember what all of them sound like

:P

sobi
03-06-2012, 08:11 PM
The way I do mine are somewhat similar the original post. YMMV with my version, and the following is only for EDM

Step 1.
After DLing all my tracks for the week, I file them into monthly folders. Each one has a naming convention of year&month. (1111,1112,1201,1202, etc) This is the base of where I start, and keeps all purchases filed by date in the root folders.

Step 2.
Now iTunes comes into play. Originally, I used to use traktor to organize everything, but issues with traktors files caused me to lose playlists more than once. Not only that, but if I were to want to play on a serato set up, all my work might as well have never happened since I can't use Traktors file system anywhere else but in Traktor.
I create a temp playlist in iTunes, and dump all my purchased music into there. Once that's populated, I begin doing star ratings and keywording.
The star system and key wording are more or less identical to the OP. 5 is a banger, 4 is really good stuff, but more mellow or fill, and 3 is really mellow stuff. With the keywords... same thing. Vocal, latin, tweaked, tracky, classic, etc.

Step 3.
Now that I've finished editing the ID3 data (keywords, star ratings, cover art, etc), I move on to playlists. Inside of iTunes, I created playlists of genres and sub-genres of EDM. As I am mostly a House DJ, most of them are sub-genres of house. Latin, Tribal, Deep/soul, Club/progressive, Tech-House, etc... it goes on. But I do all the genres and sub-genres of EDM that I play. From the temporary playlist, I drop a song into any list it would fit. Here's an example. Alex Kenji - Morena
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKmu--M81HE
That track obviously has a super big latin house sound, so I'd put it in the latin playlist. It also has a pretty clubby feel to it though, and it's also a little techy, so I'd add to those too.

This is a little redundant, as I'm putting the keywords in there that basically duplicate that step of playlists, but with this, it gives me the ability to quickly find crossover tracks within a playlist. Say I'm playing off that latin house playlist and want to go in a more techy direction because the crowd seems to call for the transition. Now, I can just punch in tech in the keyword search inside that playlist, and all Latin House tracks that are techy come up.

Step 4.
This is a bit of a fail-safe for my own procrastination and only works on (as far as I know) Mac. Once I've finished editing ID3 tags and placing tracks into playlists, I go to the root folder of those tracks and color code the files green. If the whole month is done, and we're into the next one, I color code the entire folder green. If you stay on top of your stuff immediately, this isn't necessary, but if you're like me, things get piled up now and then and you have to go back a few weeks/months sometimes.

Step 5.
Re-import your playlists into your DVS. I'm not sure if this is even necessary in Serato, but I know it is in Traktor. In TSP2, you can play off the itunes lists directly, but the cover art is never there. If you're like me, you are somewhat reliant on that art at certain times and this just won't do. At this point, I drag the itunes playlist on to the corresponding traktor playlist. Then, I remove duplicates, and check consistency. Viola! updated lists with everything as it should be.

SpeshulEd
03-06-2012, 08:15 PM
When I practice, I just start throwing in whatever, so one thing I like to do is save my history as a set/crate/playlist.

It helps if you record your mix, because when you listen to it later, you have easy access to the track list. Plus, if something sounded great, you can easily reference it.