PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting DJA208 vs Baller95 vs DJ-Veaux - Electro House / Prog Battle

JonAvalon
09-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Mix 1 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/DJA208-vs-Baller95-vs-DJVeaux-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/DJA208-vs-Baller95-vs-DJVeaux-2.mp3)

Mix 3 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/DJA208-vs-Baller95-vs-DJVeaux-3.mp3)

Rules:
20-25 mins long (must have at least 7 songs)
Can use any equipment, sync button ok
Loser has to tweet a well done message to the winner, repost a winners track on their soundcloud (winner chooses song to be reposted) annnnnd loser reps the winner! Is that fair? D:
BPM has to be between 126-132?

Dharry
09-25-2013, 04:36 AM
All mixes were technically great...mix one and two were both as good as each other though i preferred mix two more than one but more because of the tracks.
Mix 3 i loved! Its different...and has energy and a great beat..so stood out for me....def gets the adrenlin pumping!

So in this order
mix 3..then mix 2 and then mix 1....

borrow
09-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Like'd 3 the most;) Track wise & i like the fast mixing!!! Didn't hear any sloppy mistakes or anything:)
1 & 2 where also great but 3 just kept everything a bit more interesting..

Skasja
09-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Unedited thoughts while listening. This is not my fave music, but can enjoy it in moderation or the right setting.

Mix 1
Nice starting track, played out a bit long for my taste. Transition into #2 was fine, bouncy track kept energy up.
Track 3 has a key clash. Unremarkable, templated song. Energy level drops, should have transitioned earlier.

Kick of next song needs more volume. Intro too long. Enjoying the rhythm change (sped up moombathon, is this an example of Aussie Bounce?).
Another key clash with the incoming track (mashup?) at 15:40. Radio friendly, massively compressed song next is ok (Stellar).
Another loss of energy in the drop. Are you using a low quality version of "Free Your Mind" or are there some EQ issues?

5/10

Mix 2
Start... I'm awake again after having nodded off at the end of mix 1. Yeah boii! Perfect on the mark transition. Quick transition to track 3, nice!
Excellent choice with the driving bass drum. Bouncing in my chair here.... Short snippet again, like it tons. Thanks for letting me come up for air at 5 min.
Here we go again ;) Good ffing buildup. Stays solid throughout the next couple of minutes. Good use of tension. Ready for something new at 9 mins, shorten this up a tad?
Energy lost with the fadeout into piano solo. Nice vocals, very commercial sounding. Not sure here about the synth buildup, sounds too loud and really kills the dreamy
feeling from the previous track. The super loud bit until 12min was unnecessary. Now you repeat the same gimmick. Nah. 14 minutes in, I'm getting bored.
Enjoying the arpeggio at 15 min. Cool change of pace. Needs to add something at 16m - waiting for a surprise, which doesn't come. Song at 18m would have fit better near the beginning.
Did you lose your stamina, playing full songs now? What happened? Did you have to take a bathroom break and just left it on autoplay? Please tell me I don't have to listen to
some shit version of Adagio for Strings for 5 minutes.

6/10

Mix 3
Please be better, my poor ears deserve it! Like what you're doing here, props for playing a DJF tune :) I guess I'll have to sit through a bit of Garrix, it's ok - starting to get used to it. Enjoying it so far, for sure on par with the first 10 minutes of Mix 2. What happened at 6:20? NICE (!!!) at 7:10. I like what you tried to do at 8:16, just needs more polish.

The energy level keeps up so far. There's more variety compared to the other mixes. Fun to listen to, wondering what's hiding around the corner. Good use of melodies, not your average radio crap. At 11:11 needs more smoothing again. Fine tracks, hoping you'll post the playlist. Definitely enjoying the breaks, the cheesy 7bits synths, happy sounds, bouncy rhythms... At 14:10 good, keeps everything flowing nicely... Back to chart toppers, I guess. Still happening at the end. But why so short?

Clear winner

7.5/10

M!TCH
09-26-2013, 04:39 PM
Mix 1: volume seems a bit low, really enjoyed the first track, not bad on the transition into second track, oh lord, beat gallops galore around 7:30-45, not a good transition, more beat gallops around 12:15, definitely lost some energy on that mix too, next transition wasn't as bad. More of a laid back mix, work on your structure though, too much of a difference between throwing down a banger electro house track and then going to progressive house.

Mix 2: volume better than 1, not a huge fan of electro house but this track isn't over doing it and isn't your typical boring same phrase repeated, solid transition, track prior to 9:00 is drawn out, I'm hearing beat gallops, doesn't sound good, big change of pace with new track, whole mix took on a different energy. Take a look at how you're structuring your sets. Picked back up at 20 minutes. Definitely a better mix than mix 1. You did not put adagio for strings in this mix. Not a fan of the ending.

Mix 3: this must be a mashup or something? Whatever happened at 6:20 not good, levels way off. I'm convinced this mix has a bunch of mashups in it.

Until I hear otherwise on mix 3, I'm going to vote for mix 2. Electro house is a hard genre to judge because half the crap this genre produces has completely different phrases in the same track. I feel as though mix 3 sounded really good because it was a bunch of mash ups which make transitions during the track sound amazing (duh) and takes away from other transitions.

Baller95
10-05-2013, 06:07 PM
One more day to go, get your votes in if you've listened, we need more votes!

Baller95
10-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Good battle boys. Which mix is who's? I'm mix 3...

DJA208
10-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Oh man didn't realise this ended today! Mine was Mix 2.

Well Played Baller! ;)

Baller95
10-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Haha sweet, good battle boys! Thanks to everyone that took their time to listen to our mixes and vote, the critiques were also great. +repped all :)

@Mitch, there were no mashups that could have possibly been mistaken for a transition. Even though you didn't vote for me I'm still proud of myself for pulling off a mix off which in your opinion was too good to be true/legit but thanks anyways.

I feel as though mix 3 sounded really good because it was a bunch of mash ups which make transitions during the track sound amazing (duh) and takes away from other transitions.

It goes to show that even an "experienced" DJ with a 'feel' for music can make mistakes eh :tup:

DJ-Veaux
10-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Mine was mix 1, and boy now that I listen to it I should've planned my set a bit better :lol: Well on the bright side, I'm learning more losing than what I would've learned winning........Still wish I won :cry:

P.S. Who actually voted for me? I'm somewhat shocked and surprised after all the feedback I was getting that mine was actually considered the best out of the three by one person.

DJA208
10-08-2013, 07:03 AM
Well said lads, was a good battle, I'm sure we'll do one again soon! And thanks to everyone for taking the time to listen and vote (especially for me) :D

Baller was the deserved winner, but next time he won't be so lucky ;)

Baller95
10-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Well said lads, was a good battle, I'm sure we'll do one again soon! And thanks to everyone for taking the time to listen and vote (especially for me) :D

Baller was the deserved winner, but next time he won't be so lucky ;)

Thanks dude! We'll see about next time ;)

borrow
10-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Baller totaly won because of my mash-up:P

Baller95
10-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Baller totaly won because of my mash-up:P

Haha definitely! :P

Dharry
10-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Well done Baller95 and well done to all:dance:

Baller95
10-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Thanks Dharry! :)

M!TCH
10-08-2013, 11:37 PM
Haha sweet, good battle boys! Thanks to everyone that took their time to listen to our mixes and vote, the critiques were also great. +repped all :)

@Mitch, there were no mashups that could have possibly been mistaken for a transition. Even though you didn't vote for me I'm still proud of myself for pulling off a mix off which in your opinion was too good to be true/legit but thanks anyways.

It goes to show that even an "experienced" DJ with a 'feel' for music can make mistakes eh :tup:

I've stated multiple times in electro house battles that it's one of the hardest genres to critique because I can't listen to it very well. Sounds like a bunch of noise.

Btw, you're a pompous dick misquoting me in your sig. You've been called out in a battle before for using mashups in your mixes. Being able to mix electro house is hardly something I'd get jealous over :jerk:

Baller95
10-09-2013, 04:13 AM
I've stated multiple times in electro house battles that it's one of the hardest genres to critique because I can't listen to it very well. Sounds like a bunch of noise.

Btw, you're a pompous dick misquoting me in your sig. You've been called out in a battle before for using mashups in your mixes. Being able to mix electro house is hardly something I'd get jealous over :jerk:

If you don't know what you're talking about just admit it B!TCH. You don't need to further make yourself look like more of a fucking tool. At the end of that other battle, someone brought up that there were a couple mashups used. He wasn't a dick like you to wrongly and stupidly judge a mix while the battle was still on which could have mislead other members. That neg rep you just gave me, I don't give a fuck, it's not the first time you've given it to me when YOU are the wrong one. Oh and it looks like you made your comment & decision already knowing that mix was mine so shame on you asshat. :jerk:

M!TCH
10-09-2013, 08:06 AM
I had no clue that mix was yours, actually. Stated my opinion on my perception. But keep on rolling little man.

Baller95
10-09-2013, 09:15 AM
:rolleyes: