PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting 3 way Trance Battle - tekno_violet vs Synergy vs EuroRSN

JonAvalon
03-06-2012, 12:40 AM
Mix 1 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/tekno_violet-vs-Synergy-vs-EuroRSN-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/tekno_violet-vs-Synergy-vs-EuroRSN-2.mp3)

Mix 3 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/tekno_violet-vs-Synergy-vs-EuroRSN-3.mp3)

Rules:
30 mins (+/- a few mins)
Trance/ dance type mix.
Alcohol during mixing is recommended. No editing.
CDJS, turntables and controllers welcome.

Synergy
03-06-2012, 09:06 AM
This was fun! Thanks for letting me mix. Gonna start playing this more regularly, I like being able to have to eq and work the faders. :)

Synergy
03-06-2012, 09:18 AM
double post!

tekno_violet
03-06-2012, 01:44 PM
This was fun! Thanks for letting me mix. Gonna start playing this more regularly, I like being able to have to eq and work the faders. :)

Yeah man, Its a great way to improve.

I need to buy ALOT more music though...

I'll have to listen to yours and EUROrsn's mix after work.

Synergy
03-06-2012, 02:01 PM
GL to all that entered, they were all good mixes!!

EuroRSN
03-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Good Job guys, really digging mix3! Its my style of Trance for sure. Time to team up haha

Sedna
03-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Mix 1 - I hate dubstep and hate that it's invading trance even more, so I'll pretend that intro didn't exist. Was that your DJ drop, or is this a ripped song? Either way, that's a no-no, these are supposed to be anonymous. This first track is pretty good. After the break I realize I've heard it before, just can't put a name to it. Second track mix in is too harsh for my tastes, but I love this song. Every Little Beat was mixed in a bit better, but two vocals in a row is yucky. Next mix is decent, but another vocal song? I don't typically use more than one vocal track in a two hour set, but maybe that's just me. Next mix in is alright, nothing special but not bad. More vocals -______- DJ drop again, bleh... I was also hoping for a bit less farty-bass trouse stuff. Final track is a bit trancier. I don't really like the upfader jitters so often. Once in a while is OK, but not every track.

Overall- Mixing was OK but nothing special, and I'd like to hear a lot more trance and a lot less vocal farty-trouse.

Mix 2 - Starting off with a slow melodic tune. Sounds nice and you have a lot of places to go from here. Mix 1 was a little sloppy but OK. The mix into punk, however, is a mess. Lots of slipping beats and galloping kicks, and the EQing resulted in a 64-bar wall of sound. Mix 3 was a lot better. This track is interesting, not very eventful in comparison to Punk so I question its placement within the set, but I do enjoy the song. More slight galloping at 22 mins, and now I hear Rebound coming in. Mix was alright. Next mix had a good dark feeling going for it, but the energy dropped off when Rebound's bass fell out, and the song isn't dark at all, so I question the key selection. It could have been utilized much more.

Overall - Mixing was okay in some spots, but pretty bad in others. Overall set flow was a bit arbitrary for me as well. Once again, too many vocals as well.

Mix 3 - Another vocal track to start. A bit farty again, but it's an alright track. Mix 1 was good, very unique. More electroish trance, which at this point I'm even more sick of, but I can't say I hate this song. Two vocals in a row again, which is disappointing, but I agree with the flow of this mix a lot more than the previous two so far. Just listened to two more mix ins and liked both of them. This fourth track is more driving, so I definitely like the direction your set is taking now. Another vocal track, which is disappointing again, but at this point if I were to mark everyone down for vocal tracks you'd all have zeroes! Haha. A Night Like This is coming in. More vocals, feiowjfoiewjfiewjfio, but at least this song brings the energy. Good mix in, but I think you should have kept up the driving transitions with some rolling basslines to really keep the energy up. Next mix is good, but MORE VOCALS FHEIOWJFOIEWJFOIJEWOIF#&*&@&*#*&$*&!!~!!!!!U$*($** FUCK.

Overall - Mixing was very solid, but too many vocal tracks. The flow of the set was solid, though, so if gritty vocal trance is your thing then you nailed it pretty well.

Mix 3 is the winner in my book, pretty much hands down. I wish each mix progressed into a bit more pure, high BPM trance, but for what it was Mix 3 was done pretty well. I also never want to hear a vocal song again =D

If you DJ folk get a chance, check out my Trance battle with Chris Hynds.
http://www.djforums.com/forums/poll.php?pollid=34&do=showresults

TheBoggler
03-06-2012, 03:41 PM
I'd like to see a tracklist for these sets after voting is done, if possible. I'm digging some of these tracks, and most I've never heard.

Synergy
03-06-2012, 03:43 PM
will post my list as soon as voting is over :)

EuroRSN
03-06-2012, 03:47 PM
^ Dude are u kidding me lol that was the most biased comment i have ever seen... Your ripping into me using a DJ drop?? Who said it was anonymous? and Dubstep??? FWAKKK MAN *Shakes Head*

Plus your going off on everybody using too much vocals LMAO.. Good job everyone KEEP UP THE FUCKING VOCALS CAUSE I LOVE THEM!!

TheBoggler
03-06-2012, 04:03 PM
will post my list as soon as voting is over :)

Cool, thanks dude! Never been a huge trance guy, but i'm digging a lot of this. and... EuroRSN, chill out, man. Everyone has different tastes, and these votes are also based on taste. If you didn't appeal to someone else's taste perfectly, its not that you did anything bad, it's just different than from what he wanted to hear.

It's meant to be anonymous because of the voting procedure, putting a name drop into a battle is not quite what you're supposed to do. Once voting is over, then the creators of the mix are revealed.

Synergy
03-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Well, I thought it was anon, but maybe I was wrong?

Synergy
03-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Cool, thanks dude! Never been a huge trance guy, but i'm digging a lot of this. and... EuroRSN, chill out, man. Everyone has different tastes, and these votes are also based on taste. If you didn't appeal to someone else's taste perfectly, its not that you did anything bad, it's just different than from what he wanted to hear.

It's meant to be anonymous because of the voting procedure, putting a name drop into a battle is not quite what you're supposed to do. Once voting is over, then the creators of the mix are revealed.

^^ This

TheBoggler
03-06-2012, 04:49 PM
I also voted mix 3. I feel it had the most solid mixing, I liked track selection on mix 2 the most, but only by a little.

9_north
03-06-2012, 05:50 PM
I really Like Mix #1 But that guy use wayyyy too many Dj Drops....

EuroRSN
03-06-2012, 05:54 PM
O M G :facepalm:

Finnish_Fox
03-06-2012, 05:56 PM
^ Dude are u kidding me lol that was the most biased comment i have ever seen... Your ripping into me using a DJ drop?? Who said it was anonymous? and Dubstep??? FWAKKK MAN *Shakes Head*

Plus your going off on everybody using too much vocals LMAO.. Good job everyone KEEP UP THE FUCKING VOCALS CAUSE I LOVE THEM!!

I think the battle protocol is set-up for it to be anonymous if you so choose.

ChrisHynds
03-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Ill have a listen to this later & drop some feedback :)

Rick_N
03-06-2012, 10:02 PM
O M G :facepalm:

Its a battle, anonymous mixes is the name of the game. I dont think i've heard a dj drop in a battle on here in a long time.

I understand if you want to release the mix after the battle but you can go back over the mix and drop your drops ha.

I'll give it a listen when I get the chance...but I got a few ahead of yours to do.

Sedna
03-07-2012, 02:11 AM

If you're not willing to take criticisms then don't participate in battles. You put your mix up for everyone to hear and choose which they like best. I did that. If you're going to cry about me not liking vocals and DJ drops (something most people who listened to trance before 2007 would agree with) then don't battle. And if you're not willing to take criticisms on your DJing abilities, stop DJing.

Also, it's in the DJF battle rules to keep your mix anonymous. Good job with that.

tekno_violet
03-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Eeeeeeaasy Eeeeeeasy.

Back on track!

Great mixes nemesis's, I really didnt think you guys were gonna bring it... We'll chat more after votings done.

Thanks for voting guys and Sedna thanks for taking the time to analyze and breakdown your thoughts on each mix.

I see us battling in the future!

Hopefully more people join in.

Synergy
03-08-2012, 10:16 AM
YEAH! Liking all the mixes, as to the vocal, apparently he didnt like vocal trance, probably more of a goa/psytrance feel would have been better for him. its okay, it is what YOU liked. Just take it as it comes. :) GL to all again!

Ohmega
03-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Well Mix one had the lame as hell drop which is grounds for an automatic disqualification, sorry man thats just the way we roll here on DJForums. In addition, you NEVER EVER EVER!!!! give away which mix is your before the closing of the battle. By defending yourself it clearly gives everyone an ideas as to which mix is yours. As far as the vocals go, Sedna is not a vocal fan obviously but we all have our sub-genres. However I do find his vocal hatred a bit alarming. He is a big fan of the harder Acid Trance like J00F and Christoper Lawrence which is bad ass but is a niche market. Some of us older purist Trance jocks hold to our ways so we have a tough time listening to the new version of Trance. Then again I have a hard time with 128BPM being Trance, back in my day we called that Progressive NOT Trance.

EuroRSN
03-10-2012, 03:45 AM
Maybe someone should sticky these rules that ive never read about...

Synergy
03-13-2012, 08:23 PM
i thought it was pretty well known but its okay man shit happens. did u post here before when it was 1.0? I did a battle there that never happened. *Shrug*

i knew it was anon because i looked at other threads to see what they were about :).

Anyway, bump!

cmon guys vote!!

EuroRSN
03-15-2012, 01:47 AM
ya sall good i know now i guess... Im surprised that this thread had over 250 views and only 3 votes.

Synergy
03-16-2012, 08:46 AM
me too, ill vote the day before it closes :)

mix4fix
03-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Mix #1 - Dubstep doesn't belong

Mix #2 - Really liked the first track

Mix #3 - This mix kept me dancing

I choose mix #3.

tekno_violet
03-19-2012, 09:09 PM
I'll be reppin everyone that votes soon.

Synergy
03-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Well, I took my mix out of the race, so with that said...I will vote for the mix I chose in the morning. I maybe will have a track list out by the end of the day tomorrow for my mix :) Good job guys, in the future EuroRSN no dj drops bud! Maybe we can do this again in a few!!! I had a great time!

*adding* the mix i am choosing, I would love to get a tl for this too. some good stuff in here!!! oh, and i love vocal trance. I used to listen to fuckin Tunnel Trance Force back in the day and LOVED IT!

Synergy
03-20-2012, 07:29 AM
aww man i forgot it probably closed at midnight!! My vote was for mix 2. GREAT mix man!!

My mix was mix 3 :)

Thanks to all who listened and all who voted! I hope to do some more battles, oh and to the one who said they wanted to do something together, I'm totally down!!

jazzyj
03-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Love love love Mix 3... and not into Trance music at all.

Synergy
03-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Thanks JazzyJ!! Respect, not my usual cup of tea but I had some nice songs saved up for a just in case and wanted to try mixing them. Thanks for all those who voted and those who listened!!

As for me, mix 2 was pretty damn awesome. It would have been a hard choice for me if it were between the two of us. Good job man!!! Keep it up!

Synergy
03-20-2012, 08:35 PM
1. Andy Moor Ft. Sue Mclaren - Fight The Fire (Original Mix)
2. Ana Criado - Can't Hold Back The Rain (Stoneface & Terminal Remix)
3. Simon Patterson feat. Lucy Pullin - Keep Quiet (Original Mix)
4. Kyau & Albert - A Night Like This (Original Mix)
5. Tritonal ft. Cristina Soto - Lifted (Club Mix)

tekno_violet
03-25-2012, 04:49 AM
Thanks synergy man I was mix 2..

It was sick battling you guys man! If you guys wanna go at it again soon..im down!

You guys threw down some beats, i loved it.

I actually only got mine done in the last minutes... I couldnt turn my monitors on past fukn 1..(roomates).

@ sedna. I didnt even know I had Punk playing when it was it was coming in..haha. i was like "whoooops" when i realized it was playin...didnt have time for a do over.. Either way if you wanna battle, bring it son.

Euro and Synergy thanks for playing!!, hopefully we do it again soon. I really need to drop a few hundred bucks on new tracks first though :)

The Baxter
03-25-2012, 08:19 AM
1. Andy Moor Ft. Sue Mclaren - Fight The Fire (Original Mix)
2. Ana Criado - Can't Hold Back The Rain (Stoneface & Terminal Remix)
3. Simon Patterson feat. Lucy Pullin - Keep Quiet (Original Mix)
4. Kyau & Albert - A Night Like This (Original Mix)
5. Tritonal ft. Cristina Soto - Lifted (Club Mix)

this is what I don't get about djing trance. 5 tracks in 30 mins? I couldn't stand around for 6 mins between each transition. it would drive me nuts. what do you do during that time? congrats on the victory, no hate. I enjoy listening to it, but I couldn't dj trance.

ChrisHynds
03-25-2012, 10:53 AM
The 4 steps to becoming a successful Trance Dj :- I'll use Armin as my example - Its all about the poses!!!!

Pose 1- Concentration Face - Duration - 1 min - Task - Beat matching

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1280&bih=628&tbm=isch&tbnid=MQUb7XuHdUklJM:&imgrefurl=http://damabeats.wordpress.com/2010/08/&docid=X8k2wIg2CJvopM&imgurl=http://damabeats.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/armin.jpg&w=500&h=333&ei=jj1vT9-7OcufiQexjqmPBg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=467&vpy=67&dur=1093&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=137&ty=109&sig=100358460418017267198&page=1&tbnh=129&tbnw=171&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0

Pose 2 - The single most important weapon in any good Trance Dj's arsenal - The Blue Steel of all poses - The JESUS POSE - Duration - 3min breakdown :-

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1280&bih=628&tbm=isch&tbnid=2jRGo2E3FKHoAM:&imgrefurl=http://www.djsets.co.uk/Compilations/djtiesto/&docid=z3qRFG-RxvD2DM&imgurl=http://www.djsets.co.uk/Compilations/arminvanbuuren/armin2.jpg&w=1000&h=668&ei=kjtvT6SrMKakiAfU-oGMBg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=833&vpy=187&dur=149&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=178&ty=108&sig=100358460418017267198&page=1&tbnh=144&tbnw=193&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:16,s:0

Pose 3 - Needs to be well timed - The "One Gun Salute" just seconds before the Drop - Duration - 2-4 seconds

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1280&bih=628&tbm=isch&tbnid=8Tf3F20ioTvLOM:&imgrefurl=http://taipeievents.tumblr.com/post/13918491691&docid=cvX-mH4HS7q40M&imgurl=http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvvx8q8lz61qgyfu2.jpg&w=440&h=293&ei=kjtvT6SrMKakiAfU-oGMBg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=287&vpy=152&dur=455&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=145&ty=88&sig=100358460418017267198&page=1&tbnh=129&tbnw=169&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

Pose 4 - The Drop - Wave hands around furiously and jump around like a clown Duration - remainder of track

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1280&bih=628&tbm=isch&tbnid=65QpjwL08ZowdM:&imgrefurl=http://www.armadamusic.com/news/2010/11/armin-only-mirage-thank-you-all/&docid=riA14zuHMH-ROM&imgurl=http://www.armadamusic.com/wp-content/uploads/df-post-thumbnail/7CqO0M.jpg&w=326&h=326&ei=VzxvT-HtLeutiQeGup2LBg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=834&vpy=290&dur=1197&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=118&ty=140&sig=100358460418017267198&page=2&tbnh=141&tbnw=150&start=18&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:18

Rinse & Repeat -

Once you master these technical steps you may then become a true Trance Jedi!!!

ChrisHynds
03-25-2012, 10:55 AM
:facepalm: ^^^^ Images failed to load??????????

Synergy
03-25-2012, 12:15 PM
this is what I don't get about djing trance. 5 tracks in 30 mins? I couldn't stand around for 6 mins between each transition. it would drive me nuts. what do you do during that time? congrats on the victory, no hate. I enjoy listening to it, but I couldn't dj trance.

when i am djing i tend to beat match the whole time getting it perfect. :) on technics this was must for me. with going digital its still a must for me. eqing the track, trying to get the bass, mids and highs just right. bringing the beat in and mixing it to get some of those elements of the new track in the playing track. i don't usually do trance, i usually do breaks. why not post up a mix of yours baxter? I don't like only playing a few min of a track either, i don't like cramming a ton of songs in a mix. its quality not quantity. When u have been playing 10+ years you will get that too, if not then idk.

The Baxter
03-25-2012, 01:27 PM
When u have been playing 10+ years you will get that too, if not then idk. I've been playing for 14 years or so, though that doesn't mean much - I mix pretty sloppy. I have a battle that should be posted soon, once Ilya gets his mix in. Here (http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?1796-The-Baxter-vs-aceBTH-House-Battle) is a link to my last battle, I was mix one.

Sedna
03-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Well, the thing is, the tracks may play out for 5-6 mins each, but the transitions are typically at LEAST 64 bars, and I have my hands on the EQ knobs probably 75% of the time I'm mixing. Gotta bring that shit in smoooooooooooooooooooooooothhhhh.

The Baxter
03-26-2012, 08:02 PM
yeah, I hear ya. trance requires a bit of knob twisting.