PDA

View Full Version : Building own sub?

kidj fresh
03-06-2012, 12:35 AM
Hey, due to costs I was thinking maybe I'd try to build my own sub? Could building my own cost less, and could it put out a decent to great sound? I hate to compare, but I really wanted to get the jbl prx618 which is completely out of my range.

Thanks

windspeed36
03-06-2012, 12:39 AM
Check out BFM for some ideas. I personally haven't built my own speakers, however from all accounts if built correctly, they all do pretty well. http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/

disbjohn
03-06-2012, 12:40 AM
Check out a Bill Fitzmaurice for DIY build. http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?205-The-Return-of-the-BFM-Thread

Incognito
03-06-2012, 05:54 AM
BFM designs are a great option as noted.

djfaceatl
03-06-2012, 08:51 AM
And yes it does make sense to build your own to save money

on1sony
03-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Unless you have a carpenter back round or your really good with your hands i suggest having a professional build your BFM sub.
It isn't as easy as it looks!

Incognito
03-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Unless you have a carpenter back round or your really good with your hands i suggest having a professional build your BFM sub.
It isn't as easy as it looks!

Actually it is, I built mines with nothing more then a skill saw & drill pretty much. PL glue is your friend.

ampnation
03-06-2012, 07:46 PM
One nice thing about the BFM subs is, there are a wide range of recommended drivers to be used in them. Assuming similar screw hole patterns, that means you could build for cheap using inexpensive drivers, then when you got some more $$ you could buy the more expensive drivers and swap them with minimal effort and you'll know that the enclosure is appropriate for both options.

Good Luck.

Bill Fitzmaurice
03-06-2012, 09:12 PM
It isn't as easy as it looks!+1. It's easier. At least 30% of builders are first-timers. The only ones who get in trouble are those who don't follow the directions in the plans.

VjQue
03-07-2012, 01:12 AM
It isn't as easy as it looks! Exactly that's why you see pro's running

Meyer Sound

Eaw

JBL

RCF

Vector

Just to name a few

And the box build is 95% of the sound

windspeed36
03-07-2012, 01:22 AM
Exactly that's why you see pro's running

Meyer Sound

Eaw

JBL

RCF

Vector

Just to name a few

No, you see the 'pros' as you call them using equipment from those companies because it is easier for them to buy 24 or 48 cabinets from one manufacturer than to make them themselves. Not only do they require the box, but the rigging and all the other details that come with flown or grownstacked arrays

If you reply saying why not get BFM speakers or similar made by a company that offers to do so, is that not the same as just going and buying from Meyer or L'Acoustics?

Bill Fitzmaurice
03-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Meyer Sound
Eaw
JBL
RCF
Vector

Just to name a few And why people drive Fords, Toyotas, BMWs, etc. They lack the skills to build their own cars. Fortunately building speakers is considerably less daunting a task.

And the box build is 95% of the soundTrue. And that's why DIY has always been on the cutting edge. The best cabs are labor intensive designs, not just boxes with drivers inside. 'Labor intensive' means expensive to build if you're paying for that labor. Manufacturers pay their labor, so they use cabinet designs that reduces labor cost to a minimum, and performance along with it. DIY builders don't have labor costs to consider, so they can build a better product.
BTW, I have designed cabs for some of the brands you mentioned. Their #1 concern isn't the best possible result, it's the highest possible profit margin. Since profit margin isn't a design consideration with a DIY speaker there's no need to compromise on achieving the best possible result.

Ntertainment
03-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Bill

What would be the best sub to build if size, money and skill were not a concern? What driver would you load it with? Is the inside covered with cloth or carpet or anything like that? I'm considering building my own sub this spring and looking for a total cost to build. I looked at the Titan 48. I'm pretty sure i can handle the wood work but when it comes to wiring i really don't know that much.

Bill Fitzmaurice
03-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Bill

What would be the best sub to build if size, money and skill were not a concern? What driver would you load it with? Is the inside covered with cloth or carpet or anything like that? I'm considering building my own sub this spring and looking for a total cost to build. I looked at the Titan 48. I'm pretty sure i can handle the wood work but when it comes to wiring i really don't know that much.Questions specific to my cabs should be posted on my forum, where you can get not only my opinion but those of potentially a few thousand owners of them.

on1sony
03-08-2012, 02:27 PM
-Bill
Can you revise your website you show comparisons with modern day speakers? I noticed most of them are 8+ year old.
let me know what you think.
-andre

Bill Fitzmaurice
03-08-2012, 03:54 PM
-Bill
Can you revise your website you show comparisons with modern day speakers? I noticed most of them are 8+ year old.
let me know what you think.
-andreSince even fewer SPL charts are available for current products than older products there's nothing to compare to.

monomer
03-08-2012, 04:21 PM

(list of expensive assed boxes)

Last I checked, 90% of them build using off the shelf drivers. Oh, and plywood is just so hard to find.

Engineering does factor in more then all that, but it's not as hard as it's made out to be: Especially sub frequencies, where you're only covering a couple of octaves. Plenty of working, tested designs out there.

Pros using in-house built arrays? Ever hear of Clair Brothers?

kidj fresh
03-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Thanks everyone for all your answers and more. I'm going to start up my reading and see where I stand.