PDA

View Full Version : 4000$ budget for first set up. Help needed and appreciated. Thanks!

stamkos91
03-06-2012, 12:48 AM
So I will very likely be sticking with Pioneer for my gear (Multiplayers and Mixer OR controller), but am open to other suggestions.

My goal is to DJ at a few local bars as much as possible, if I get going soon I will be able to get a gig or two per week come summer time. I will also be DJing at some house parties etc, and eventually move on to producing a few tracks.

I need 2 multiplayers and a mixer OR a controller (what are the advantages and disadvantages of either of these choices or are they pretty much the same). I will also need some monitor speakers (open to any brand).

So what is the best combination of Pioneer gear I could get for this price? I've been looking at the CDJ -2000's, but they seem a little to pricey, is there any sort of controller package I could get that would save me money? Are some of the previous CDJ model's basically just as good as the 2000's, especially for beginning? Or is there another pioneer line that is just as good?

Also: Most of the music I will be playing will be progressive house and melodic house, there will likely be a little bit of Dubstep too here and there.

I just want to make the bar scene in my Northern city more fun, have more people come out and enjoy some great nights and awesome music, and I will have a lot of fun too.

Sam Whitman
03-06-2012, 01:47 AM
Get some CDJ 900's or 850's and a DJM 800 you'll be just fine.

dj daywalker
03-06-2012, 01:59 AM
What? Dont spend 4000 on your first setup. Get something cheap to see if you even like djing.

deejaygo
03-06-2012, 02:00 AM
Get some CDJ 900's or 850's and a DJM 800 you'll be just fine.

Agreed :)

VjQue
03-06-2012, 02:18 AM
What? Dont spend 4000 on your first setup. Get something cheap to see if you even like djing. yep dont. $4000 is nothing but for a beginner and he dont know if he will like djing. This is a expensive hobby for people.

And a bar gig is not easy.

You have to learn how to dj right b4 trying to dj in a bar.

He won't be ready by summertime

B-Side
03-06-2012, 05:32 AM
Used CDJ1000mk3, DJM700/800.

I wouldnt start out with players with USB connectivity because most clubs/bars havent upgraded from 1000's. So if you do manage to get a gig in the near future, you dont have to go through the process of burning all your music to CD in the space of a few nights. Plus if you burn your CDs from the start you always have a backup if you go the controller/usb route etc.

Lost Connection
03-06-2012, 06:23 AM
Not commenting on the should or should not start with 4k, that's up to you.

For the equipment, you should know that for example the pioneer ddjt1 is close to the cd players and mixers they make. Atleast sort of.

Also depends on what you prefer, if you like the idea/touch of mixer and cd players then go for those.

Wakka
03-06-2012, 07:17 AM
cdj 900's djm 700 easy pick for that budget.

de.j.l
03-06-2012, 08:26 AM
usb stick CDJ's is a good idea for sure. 850's or 900's are nice but I would definitely look into actually djing before you push out 4k.

Austin GoGreen
03-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Agree with lost connection... buy that Pioneer controller, it's dope. It's about the same as two cdj's and a pioneer mixer for less than 1k. Use the other 3k to buy a MacBook Pro and good quality sound. If you already have a MBP, then I say invest all 3k in quality sound and maybe a light or two.

KLH
03-06-2012, 12:10 PM
My goal is to DJ at a few local bars as much as possible, if I get going soon I will be able to get a gig or two per week come summer time. I will also be DJing at some house parties etc, and eventually move on to producing a few tracks.
If you KNOW the basic skills and it's just a question of getting proper gear, then by all means buy a CDJ-based setup with DVS. If you're LEARNING the basic skills, then save the money and get a controller.

Either way, I recommend getting an affordable entry level PA system like a (gently) used B-52 Matrix 1000v2.

Remember that music costs money - so budget for music too!

-KLH

Austin GoGreen
03-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Pay 30 or 40 a month for a good record pool ,then budget monthly for pools with your gig money.

Invest the $4k in a good setup, with great sound. Sound is just as important if you plan on playing in bars with NO house system. Buy more sound than you THINK you need. Buy Quality over cheap starter sollutions.

$4k is a great budget! I started out with about $1500 and that bought me a laptop, B-52 system (which wasn't good after 6 months), numark cd decks, flight cases and wires.

You will flip your money fast if gigs are easy to land in your area.

Within 1 year I had over 7k invested.

If I was starting out today, I would buy an NS7 or the Pioneer DDJ kit (whichever I could get the best price on), a Macbook Pro, and the rest on QSC, RCF, or EV tops. Behringer Neo's are very good on a budget too. I would quickly save gig money to buy an 18" sub or two.