PDA

View Full Version : question about stands...

DTWO
09-15-2013, 05:30 PM
ok, I have 2 extra speaker stands; I need something to mount lights to. can I just add t-bars to my stands, or are the tripods w/ bars different?

BillESC
09-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Generally, speaker stands don't go high enough to do the job right.

DJ Nada
09-15-2013, 11:34 PM
The tripods for lights are not different, just taller. You could maybe look into a base for putting a moving head on, rather than hanging lights off a t-bar?

JamminDownJD
09-16-2013, 12:34 AM
The tripods for lights are not different, just taller.

Not necessarily true. The vast majority of lighting stands use thicker tubes than speaker stands (1-1/2 vs 1-3/8).

You cannot use typical O-clamps on those speaker tripods, but I guess you could use C-clamps to secure fixtures like moonflowers or color washes that point toward the ceiling, not the dance floor (much too low). You could also use speaker stand bases to hold certain moving head fixtures, but I still think that would be rather low for effectiveness.

DJ Nada
09-16-2013, 07:55 PM
I was thinking with something like this:
http://www.csnl.com/drupal/node/758

fatcatdj
09-17-2013, 03:03 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151121939109?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

also some guy has this on ebay which attaches to a speaker stand.
Nada, I bought 4 of those CSL adapters, they work great as well (depending on the light bracket)

superlativeevents
09-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Plumbing pipe you can pickup at home depot will do the job. Using the metal cap and pipe you can come up with some pretty customized ways to mount the bar inside the light stand/speaker stand tailored to your lights. On-stage builds some brackets that will attach to lighting stand and speaker stands that will do the same thing.

DTWO
10-04-2013, 04:56 PM
Thanks. Bought a On Stage light stand (tree), goes to 11.5 feet

djscrizzle
10-07-2013, 01:50 AM
Thanks. Bought a On Stage light stand (tree), goes to 11.5 feet

If it's the LS7720BLT, then you've got the same tee bar I do. Only had to replace a center clutch (rough handling on my part) after nearly 7 years of ownership. Solid piece of kit.

Onstage's support is good, and all the replacement parts are available for sale through their parts dept. For reference, in 2011, my stand's new center clutch was around $15 incl shipping, and made more robustly than the original part was.

DTWO
10-15-2013, 08:34 AM
If it's the LS7720BLT, then you've got the same tee bar I do. Only had to replace a center clutch (rough handling on my part) after nearly 7 years of ownership. Solid piece of kit.

Onstage's support is good, and all the replacement parts are available for sale through their parts dept. For reference, in 2011, my stand's new center clutch was around $15 incl shipping, and made more robustly than the original part was.

That's the one. finally got to put it "up high" this past saturday, really works well :) might get a second one for the other side. this lighting stuff is addictive!!