PDA

View Full Version : Block Sub-forums From What's New?

M!TCH
09-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Is there anyway we can have the ability to block certain forums from the what's new tab? I really like how it works up until half the board goes off on police brutality, gun laws, etc., and all I see are posts by the same four members for 100 posts. Would be nice to have it setup so that I can just have that view for the certain forums and if I want to go into big thread sub-forums it's easy.

EDIT: Can we also add official police brutality, police mistakes, someone/something shot someone/something/everyone/everything threads?

thehadgi
09-13-2013, 01:15 PM
We need more police brutality threads and gun threads

M!TCH
09-15-2013, 01:12 PM
^ updated to ask for official threads for just those things.

Sigma
09-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Can we have official threads for the topics I don't like too?

M!TCH
09-15-2013, 02:47 PM
As long as it is a recurring topic.

It's not a matter of me not liking the topics, it's the fact that these are recurring topics that could use a consolidated thread instead of posting a new one anytime any of those things happens on a planet of over seven billion people.

Sigma
09-15-2013, 02:55 PM
A recurring topic is useful for something like the "song of the day" threads where there isn't really any discussion going on about each post - if there is, it's just the occasional reply. It's not so good for current events though, because there tends to be more discussion around those and you can end up with multiple events trying to be discussed at the same time in the same thread.

Dix
09-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Is there anyway we can have the ability to block certain forums from the what's new tab? I really like how it works up until half the board goes off on police brutality, gun laws, etc., and all I see are posts by the same four members for 100 posts. Would be nice to have it setup so that I can just have that view for the certain forums and if I want to go into big thread sub-forums it's easy.

EDIT: Can we also add official police brutality, police mistakes, someone/something shot someone/something/everyone/everything threads?

I agree. I wish we could block any thread we dont want to see come up. We can subscribe to any thread we choose to subscribe to... why cant we block any thread we choose to block?
We can block users, but we cant block threads... :shrug:

Sigma
09-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Why not just not read the threads that you're not interested in?

There's a plugin for vBulletin that allows users to add threads to an ignore list. I think the admins must be using it on this entire forum section though, so good luck getting it installed, lol.

M!TCH
09-15-2013, 03:24 PM
A recurring topic is useful for something like the "song of the day" threads where there isn't really any discussion going on about each post - if there is, it's just the occasional reply. It's not so good for current events though, because there tends to be more discussion around those and you can end up with multiple events trying to be discussed at the same time in the same thread.

This wouldn't be an issue if I could click on what's new and not see the 100 posts in a row in one thread (obvious hyperbole speak here) in Off-Topic. I don't mind wandering in to some of those threads but they completely drown out what goes on in the rest of the forum unless I open each sub-forum and see what's going on.

I agree. I wish we could block any thread we dont want to see come up. We can subscribe to any thread we choose to subscribe to... why cant we block any thread we choose to block?
We can block users, but we cant block threads... :shrug:

:stupid:

Why not just not read the threads that you're not interested in?

There's a plugin for vBulletin that allows users to add threads to an ignore list. I think the admins must be using it on this entire forum section though, so good luck getting it installed, lol.

Once again, I think it it stemming more from the fact that anytime you look at What's New I cannot help but be overwhelmed by hot-button topics.

Sigma
09-15-2013, 03:59 PM
You can use New Posts instead of What's New and that'll give you a topic list instead of a list of posts. It's a bit easier to digest. Or subscribe to the forums you're interested in using RSS.

I agree that it's far from ideal though. For my forum, I use IP.Board which is a lot more powerful than vBulletin. When you go to the "View New Content" section you have all these options: -

http://i.imgur.com/nHfaDaw.jpg

Including exactly what you're asking for: -

http://i.imgur.com/pHHehVd.jpg

So you can just check off the forums you're interested in.

I think vBulletin is a dead end, as most of the good developers left and version 5 is a bag of shit.

M!TCH
09-15-2013, 04:20 PM
You can use New Posts instead of What's New and that'll give you a topic list instead of a list of posts. It's a bit easier to digest. Or subscribe to the forums you're interested in using RSS.

Was not aware of this. I had assumed (incorrectly) that New Posts did the same thing as What's New. Thanks! :tup:

Sigma
09-15-2013, 04:32 PM
No worries. There's another way to do it using the search feature. Open advanced search and click on "single content type", then you can leave the actual search fields blank, select only the forums you're interested in, select "since your last visit", then choose to either show posts or threads, then you can save that as your default search. When you run that search it will give you the kind of thing you're looking for, but it's a bit of a ball ache if you want to ever use the search to actually do a proper search as you have to reset it back to default again.

The search feature on here is actually pretty powerful, but the one big thing it's missing is the ability to put phrases in quotes so if you search for "vinyl ripping" (actually in quotes like that), you still get every post with just "vinyl" in it and every post with just "ripping" in it, which is obviously quite wank as there are tons of posts with the word "vinyl" in them that have nothing to do with ripping it.

ewe
09-15-2013, 11:50 PM
I think the admins must be using it on this entire forum section though, so good luck getting it installed, lol.

:lol:

It's why I'm not gonna bother upgrading to VIP again, the admins don't seem to care about this place