PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide on a mixer

RaphaelJohn
03-05-2012, 04:06 PM
So I decided to make the move to buying a good mixer, but not too sure on which to go with...
I learned how to DJ using a Rane 57 but fell in love with the Pioneer DJM-800. I want to go with something new so that I won't really have to replace it for years to come. For this past year I've been using a Behringer DJX-700.

DJNR
03-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Based on the options you have listed, it comes down to software for me.

I think because the 850 and the 900 are so similar in both price point and features, I would just shell out the difference and get the 900. You get more obviously, but whether or not that "more" is worth it comes down to you. I love my 900 and I have only had it for a few days, and I have already noticed that the 850 has effects missing that I would miss. Both are Traktor Certified.

On the other hand, you have the Rane 68 which is Serato certified, but it is in it's own league. It has all sorts of features that both DJMs don't have, so it may be the "better" option if you are looking for longevity. Of course, this is going to weigh heavily on what your budget is as the 68 is rather expensive in comparison to both those mixers. If you can afford a 62, I would consider the DB4 if you really want a mixer that will last you for a long time.

TL;DR Version:
Rane 68 if you want serato, but consider the Xone DB4 because of price point.
I would go with the 900 if you use Traktor. 850 is pointless at a few hundred dollars less.

Wakka
03-05-2012, 04:58 PM
900 man.... why settle for less when you can have the best?

RaphaelJohn
03-05-2012, 05:41 PM
A couple of my friends have used the 68. The main complaints have been serato crashes and freezes too often and when it comes down to scratching, the channel faders get in the way and can easily be hit. But yeah, I use Serato, but most likely I'll go with the 900. My friend was the first one in Tampa to have it, and when I got the chance to use it, it was AWESOME. Maybe I'll just buy a used 800 HAHAHA. Hey Wakka, do you spin here in Tampa?

alazydj
03-05-2012, 05:43 PM
DJM 800 + SL4? Maybe?

snoborder101
03-05-2012, 06:42 PM
While they're good mixers, you really are paying for the pioneer name. Have you checked out other mixers such as the Denon x1600? Awesome mixer with great effects. Traktor wouldn't certify junk. I have it and love it.

mostapha
03-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Did you mean rane 62 or 68? If you meant 68, I'd get that…if you meant 62………I wouldn't buy any of them. I don't like Pioneer, and I have no use for a battle mixer. But that's just me.

NICK NASTIE
03-06-2012, 04:45 PM
It's all preference. Ive got a 900 and its awesome. However, I like battle mixers. I bought the 900 because I didn't hear any rumors or news about Rane up****** the TTM57. I installed an Innofader into my 900 and I couldn't ask for more. As much as I love Rane, but Pioneer is industry standard. I don't see Pioneer replacing the 900 for at least 4-5 years. Plus if you use Traktor, its certified. One thing to note, the nexus comes with Traktor Pro 2. Not Traktor Scratch Pro 2. Which means you can take it out of the box and spin using control Vinyl. You need to purchase the upgrade to use the scratch feature.

Id be happy with either one. There are Pros and Cons with every piece of gear you will ever own. As long as you are happy with it, you cant go wrong

Synergy
03-06-2012, 05:43 PM
are you getting the pioneers for the effects? they are garbage IMO. If you are spending 2000 on a mixer, go for quality...

Id get an Allen & Heath, however of the ones you posted, I would pick the Rane.

NICK NASTIE
03-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Funny you bring that up. I had a Pioneer EFX1000 and LOVED the effects. Not to happy with the DJM900 effects. Not a deal breaker, but I bothers me from time to time.

9_north
03-07-2012, 12:32 AM
I love my DJM 900 Nexus as a step up from the old 800, The X-Pad is really fun to use in the mix and the Filters/echo/reveb/delay are all much cleaner sound the only thing is that its wider than the old DJM 800 so there aren't as many cases for the thing