PDA

View Full Version : Rising from the UK

Mr Tharx
03-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Alright guys, so I got some turntables (SUPRISE!) and I'm in the black. I have no clue where to go? I've always been interested in DJ'ing and the music, so got myself some cheap tables and here I am :)

So my set up is 2 Sony PS-DJ9000 decks and Sony MX-DJ9000 mixing table and I want to mix/scratch but not sure how to go about it. Such as what vinyl's to use and is there some mix I can just practice from?

As you can see I'm very naive but I want to succeed! So here we go! HELP! :D

BuddyUK
03-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Look in the Beginners section mate

Mr Tharx
03-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Look in the Beginners section mate

Yea been looking through there dude :) Just needed some specific advice for my decks since I can't find anyone who uses them :/

Sigma
03-07-2012, 12:48 PM
I've never used those decks. What are they like? What's the torque like?

If you want to learn mixing and scratching, then I would say..........

1. Get some good carts/styli. I like Shure M44-7/M44-G as they have excellent skip resistance and the styli last ages before needing to be replaced.

2. Make sure your gear is set up correctly on a sturdy surface. I'm not saying that this is definitely the case, but those decks may not perform as well as really high end ones so the more you can do to minimise skipping, the better.

3. Get some decent slipmats. If the decks lack torque (i.e. pulling power) so that they slur when you release the record, then get some really slippery mats or put some wax paper or whatever under your existing felt mats.

4. Practice mixing with records that you would buy anyway. There's no special tracks that you should buy and it's better if you spend money on records you like.

5. For scratching, get a couple of battle records which are packed full of samples. The advantage is that you have loads of samples all on one record and if you scratch the record or wear it out, you can easily replace it. Start with the basic scratches and combos - babies, drags, tears, chirps, marches, tips, forwards, stabs and so on - and work on trying to get them down nice and clean. Don't jump in trying to learn really complicated scratches just because you think they sound flashy or impressive, cos simple scratches executed well can sound really impressive too and they become the building blocks for the more complex ones.

Mr Tharx
03-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Sorry for late reply have a lot on my plate!

to be fair dude got these second hand for £80 and I had nothing with them, so I'm clueless on every level :/
I wouldn't know how to find the tourqe. Also where do you get your battle records from?

KLH
03-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Everyone starts out somewhere. I assume that your equipment works and you can hear two records at the same time while playing through the mixer. Also important is that the crossfader can isolate or blend the two decks.

If the above works, then get two different tracks (extended versions) of hip-hop songs at a BPM <85. For example, get a track at 77BPM and the other track at 79 BPM.

Learn to beat match first. THEN buy a battle record and learn to scratch.

-KLH

Mr Tharx
04-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Right guys Ive had chance to get some vinyl's on it... and.... Yea getting rid of them ;D I mean it was a longshot since they where so cheap :)

So lets start again. Need to look for new tables :/

Manu
04-05-2012, 03:28 PM
I've never used those decks. What are they like? What's the torque like?

I tried them once in a shop, there isn't any. For comparison, less than the plastic battle packs, any sort of pressure on the platter stops it.

HBBoogie
04-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Right guys Ive had chance to get some vinyl's on it... and.... Yea getting rid of them ;D I mean it was a longshot since they where so cheap :)

So lets start again. Need to look for new tables :/

Here is a list of turntables to look at.

Technics 1200/1210 series - MK2, M3D, Mk5, M5G

Vestax PDX series - 2000, 2300, 3000

Stanton STR8/ST/T series - 120,150

Numark TTX/TT series - TTXUSB, TT500

Gemini - TT02,TT04 - Gemini products usually get a lot of flak for putting out junk, but I've heard good things about these turntables.

Audio Techica - AT-LP120-USB -I've heard good things about these as well. I'm not sure how good they are for scratching though.

Super OEM turntables (same as the Stanton 150's) - These turntables use all the same parts and are from the parent company Hanpin Electron.

Citronic PD-45
SYNC XTRM1
Reloop 5000MKII Chrome
Reloop RP6000
Omnitronic DD5200
American Audio HTD 4.5
Akiyama Acura
Kam ddx 5000

Mr Tharx
04-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Okay then and what would be options if I say went the... dare I say.. MAC way?

Mr Tharx
05-07-2012, 09:07 AM
UPDATE!

Ive found this!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GEMINI-2000-DIRECT-DRIVE-TURNTABLE/dp/B003SOQUQS/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335793334&sr=1-2

Celestial
05-07-2012, 09:41 AM
vinyl's

no such word yo, just point it out before peeps jump down your throat for using the word "vinyls" :P