PDA

View Full Version : American DJ Mister Kool Fogger

Ampedproductions
03-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Anyone use this?

Stumbled across it for $179 and figured the low laying fog may be pretty cool.

http://www.acclaim-music.com/American-DJ-Mister-Kool-Low-Lying-Fog-Machine.html

LiteTrix
03-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Stay far away.

DJ Scotch
03-05-2012, 01:58 PM
I have one and I only used once in Halloween party, don't expect far a great job for wedding. For smaller venue it's fine but not for dancing on cloud.

For the price it does it's job. don't keep any high hopes. For small 50-80 people party it's good.

pumpitdj
03-05-2012, 02:00 PM
I had one of these before , they are terrible , stay away FAR FAR AWAY ! Go out and spend the money on a hazer

Andrew B
03-05-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm changing my name to DJ Mister Kool Fogger.

Ampedproductions
03-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Was actually thinking more for my band...

but thanks for the advice. I'l look elsewhere

LiteTrix
03-05-2012, 04:36 PM
You want real low lying fog effect, you go with a Le Maitre Pea Souper. Chauvet just released something similar to it not too long ago. Not sure if its any good. Knowing Chauvet it probably doesn't compare to the Pea Souper.

People have also made their own out of garbage cans. The main two things you need are HOT WATER and DRY ICE.

Synaxis
03-05-2012, 04:43 PM
People have also made their own out of garbage cans. The main two things you need are HOT WATER and DRY ICE.

A good idea. From what I understand, it's not a very difficult process. Your main concern would probably just be keeping the water in the garbage can constantly warm enough.

The Chauvet one that was mentioned is priced at $1000.

Ampedproductions
03-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Yeah my budget is considerably less then 1000 for fog

pertytown
03-05-2012, 06:39 PM
I ordered one of the chauvet Nimbus dry ice machines. Still waiting for it to arrive tho. I will let you know if its any good once it gets here

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

LiteTrix
03-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Yeah my budget is considerably less then 1000 for fog

Hate to say it but anything around the $200 mark for low lying fog machines is only going to get you complete crap. If this is a must have thing for you, I would highly consider doing the garbage can idea. The only problem is making it not look like a huge mess. Thats why the Pea Souper is so nice because its compact and won't create a huge mess.

Let me take a crack at it though, heres how I would do it....

What you'll need:

Aluminum garbage can w/ lid- Home Depot
PCV piping- Depot
Metal basket with handles- Hardware store, Online, Home Depot
Water- The toilet
Dry Ice- Some supermarkets carry dry ice but its best to buy from a dealer locally to get a
Heat source
Sealer

1. What I would get for starters is a metal garbage can, preferably a aluminum one so that it won't rust with all the water you'll be putting in it.

2. Cut a hole in the aluminum can, probably 8-10inches from the bottom. This is done so you have a place for the fog to escape and a place for the water to set. Attach piece of PCV pipe to opening of can to help direct the fog so its not spilling all over the place.

3. Get a metal basket with long enough handles so you'll be able to reach it far enough down into the can. Something that you'll need and at the moment I'm not exactly sure what would work best is some type of peg or pulley system so you can lower and raise the basket in and out of the hot water you have on the bottom.

4. This is where it gets tricky and why I highly recommend buying a professional machine but I'll give it a go. I would drill holes into lid of the garbage can you can stick the handles of the basket through. Some type of sealer would be advised to keep the inside of the can at highest temperature possible. Fog seeping out top shouldn't be an issue because when CO2 and hot water mix, it sinks.

5. You'll need some type of heat source. Your pretty much on your own here though. I don't even think they make electric burners large enough for the bottom of a garbage can and I would recommend using gas either. Pulling hot water from another source, say a hot water tank might be an option but with the dry ice it will be cooled off rather quickly.

As you can see, this is a makeshift guide and by the time you put all the effort and money into making something like this it would be more worthwhile to just buy the real deal. Just keep in mind that the Pea Souper at least, is a unit that your going to to need someone manning all night long. It's not controlled via DMX or a controller.

This is just a rough guide, if I were actually going to do this I would probably be changing a few things around. This is just something that should help you if your really serious about getting one of these going.