PDA

View Full Version : CDJ 2000 MK2 or CDJ 3000 soon???

alen_p
03-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Hello,

(I've posted this on the Pioneer forums too)

I'm thinking about replacing my Denon DNS 3700's, and since Denon just announced SC3900, which is very similar to my DNS3700 I've decided to go with CDJ 2000. My question is: do you anticipate Pioneer will release newer model od CDJ 2000's (CDJ 2000 MK2 or CDJ 3000, or something along those lines) soon???

CDJ 2000 has been around for almost 3 years, and the reason I'm asking is because I don't wanna spend $3K on new decks, if in few months Pioneer might release an upgrade.

I tried to research their hardware release cycle online: CDJ 1000 was released in 2001, CDJ 1000 MK2 in July of 2003, CDJ MK3 in March of 2006, CDJ 2000 in September (announced)/December (available) of 2009... so following that logic should we expect the new flagship deck soon? maybe by the end of this year???

You guys are the experts, so please put in your 2c. thanks!!!

Andrew B
03-05-2012, 11:57 AM
The bottom line is that no one knows but Pioneer.

There's been a rumor of a MK2. But that's all it is, a rumor. Judging by their typical product cycle, it's a solid bet.

alen_p
03-05-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm not really in too big of a hurry...I'd rather wait to the end of the year and go with the new model then to spend all that money now....unless I decide to go medieval on my Denons, lately they've been acting funky..:))

alen_p

frandomeda
03-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Supposedly in April 1st they'll announce a "CDJ2000 Nexus"

Finnish_Fox
03-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Supposedly in April 1st they'll announce a "CDJ2000 Nexus"

http://cache.blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/april-fools.jpg

M!TCH
03-17-2012, 12:55 AM
I would wait it out if you aren't in a serious rush. I'd be PISSED if I bought CDJ2000s just to have a new model come out. However, with technology, something bigger and better is always coming down the pipeline. Buy shit when you need it. Hold off if you don't. I needed a new MBP even though the new ones should be out in a couple of months. If you wait around for new stuff you'll always be waiting.

VjQue
03-18-2012, 12:49 AM
always wait till after Namm.

brichi
03-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Namm 2012 passed, I don't think Pioneer will wait another year to announce something IMO

TrueWind
03-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Namm 2012 passed, I don't think Pioneer will wait another year to announce something IMO

There's summer Namm and also thers musikmesse... Who knows?!

brichi
03-20-2012, 02:39 PM
ah true, forgot

M!TCH
03-22-2012, 06:01 AM
Hold out like a Catholic school girl.

alen_p
03-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Hold out like a Catholic school girl.

hahahah, rep+...

I think I'll do just that...I just got back my Denons from maintenance, they are still in very good condition, so I guess I'll wait...:))) thanks all for the input...

TrueWind
03-27-2012, 09:54 PM
hahahah, rep+...

I think I'll do just that...I just got back my Denons from maintenance, they are still in very good condition, so I guess I'll wait...:))) thanks all for the input...

Either that, or go for the 3900's!!!

D@VE!
03-28-2012, 12:34 AM
So we have to wait i bit longer..

DJNR
03-28-2012, 12:55 AM
So we have to wait i bit longer..

Did they postpone the announcement date?

Sean
03-28-2012, 09:42 PM
If I were to buy new gear I'd definitely lean towards a controller. I'm also sure that I'm not alone in this, and probably the majority are that way, so I wouldn't be surprised if Pioneer comes out with a sick controller first instead of newer CDJs.

DJNR
03-28-2012, 09:45 PM
If I were to buy new gear I'd definitely lean towards a controller. I'm also sure that I'm not alone in this, and probably the majority are that way, so I wouldn't be surprised if Pioneer comes out with a sick controller first instead of newer CDJs.

They already have two controllers. I don't know, maybe they will release new of both?

Wakka
03-30-2012, 05:43 AM
The controllers cames out semi recently didnt they? They just released that remix thing. the RMX-1000 or w/e it is. Seems kind of interesting, but about half as interesting as a new CDJ.

alen_p
04-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Either that, or go for the 3900's!!!

I thought about it, but considering my experience with 3700's, and all the research I've done, I've decided to go with Pioneer...

Era 7
04-02-2012, 11:59 AM
DJTT punked me pretty hard this morning :blank:

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=49628

http://i.imgur.com/mXClTl.jpg

DJNR
04-02-2012, 12:00 PM

That would be so damn cool..

prODucer
04-02-2012, 01:47 PM
That would be so damn cool..

You know....I could see this actually happening someday soon! That would be cool.

DJNR
04-02-2012, 02:15 PM
I mean, it shouldn't be a Traktor look alike (or implementation) but something like the picture would be cool.

Era 7
04-02-2012, 02:27 PM
yeah they probably wouldn't go with one of the DVSs since there is a major following for each (also NI need to get of their asses and improve HID integration with their software).

alen_p
04-02-2012, 02:27 PM

WIN!! :)))...actually I like that track, my friend plays it quite often in his sets, :)).

DJNR
04-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Agreed. Native Instruments needs to work on HID.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they implemented Traktor more universally within the Pioneer lineup since they are open to implementation since Serato is dedicated to Rane hardware.

Era 7
04-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Agreed. Native Instruments needs to work on HID.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they implemented Traktor more universally within the Pioneer lineup since they are open to implementation since Serato is dedicated to Rane hardware.

i can see this happening with their mixers since it already is happening (DJM-850, DJM-900, DJM-2000) but i think not with their CDJs. they have been working pretty tight with Serato to improve serato's HID integration. still don't see why NI isn't at it yet. it is one of the most heard complaints i see with CDJ-900 and 2000 users that use traktor.

DJ Headkick
04-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Just wait for the CDJ-10,000MK∞, complete with Serato, Traktor, VDJ, Reason, FL, and Ableton integration with DVD/Blu-Ray technology. Reads 1-321kbps MP3s, WAV, Ogg Vorbis, MPEG1-4, and if you shove pancakes into it, they come out with syrup on them. Designed by Pioneer in partnership with the Chuck Norris Foundation. .00000000000000000000000000000000001% of the proceeds go to starving Nigerian children.

I over-explained that joke. :whack:

Pmf2000
04-09-2012, 08:44 AM
I thought about it, but considering my experience with 3700's, and all the research I've done, I've decided to go with Pioneer...

I am interested in why you have decided to go with pioneer?

alen_p
04-10-2012, 09:14 AM
I am interested in why you have decided to go with pioneer?

Well, of top of my head here are few negative experiences I’ve had with my DNS-3700

1. Music format/Media incompatibility
A lot of burned CDs won’t read, no matter if they are CD or MP3 format. Player simply won’t read CDs made in certain CD burning software. One of my friends couldn’t have any of his CDs to work. My other friend says he used Nero to burn his CDs and none of them would play.
Also some of the USB sticks will not read, my Ativa 4GB almost never reads, or simply loses contact with deck after a little while. Some USB sticks won’t read at all. Those USBs that work will not work all the time, and sometime it takes me few attempts to get them to read in the deck. I tried various sizes, brands, types of USBs but there was not one USB stick that works 100% of time.
Almost all of my music will not play due to format incompatibility. For example, some tracks from Beatport, Traxsource simply will not work until I re-encode them. Denon is very specific about the format, and even when I analyze tracks in their Music Manager. It will simply say “Can’t play file” when played in the deck itself, even though I can play it in the DJ Music Manager. I understand that sometimes tracks of a low Bit Rate or Frequency will not play, but a 320 kpbs and 41 kHz track is usually a standard and it should play. Denon cited that my artwork on the file is too big and it can be only up to 100 KB image size, and that best thing would be to remove the artwork completely. Really? Artwork is the problem? Also files of variable bit rate (VBR) cannot be fast forwarded (if I even get them to play), I’m not sure how is this feature on other players.
There are days when none of the CDs work due to “Disc Error”, magically after day or two they start to work.

2. Deck is not stable / reliable
Two months ago when playing from USB, the cue deck completely froze and I had to restart the deck completely since none of the buttons would work. Good thing it wasn’t the deck playing the live track so I managed to save the set, but that mix I had to rush in.
Last month, when playing opening set, the live deck froze when playing a CD. So the music stopped, I had to quickly switch to the other player, and most of the people were not happy at the bar, since I had a really good flow going, and the silence was a real buzz killer. Good thing I killed it on my main set, so nobody remembered music stopping on my opening set.
Also, recently one of my decks started flashing all of the lights on it when looping. After a while I realized that whenever I touch that deck in the upper right corner the lights on the whole deck would go nuts. I took it for a maintenance (luckily there is an authorized service here in Tampa Bay area, and the guy told me that one of the wires came loose and he didn’t charge me (which makes me think this might be the manufactures defect since he spent 2 days fixing it).

3. Support
I bought there in February of 2009 as soon as they came out, because it seemed like a good deck to make my transition from vinyl, but the last firmware upgrade came out at the end of 2010. Of course, now when they are releasing 3900, there will be no more official support for the 3700 at all. I understand that this is normal when they have new deck out, however, more than 2 years there was no official update for the deck from Denon, and there are still many issues to be addressed in software (BPM algorithm, format incompatibility, bugs in DJ manager software). I also want to note that people from Denon are extremely helpful and also people on forums. Despite of my warranty being expired, they always helped me with all of the (sometimes annoying) questions and problems I had.

4. Non- Standard deck
Since pioneer CDJ is a standard in 99% of places (100% in places I played at) some stuff you can do on the 3700 you will not be able to do on CDJ. In some cases Denon has more features than CDJ, but what good is that when you cannot use those when playing out? I brought my deck out lots of times, but then no other DJ is able to play until I give them a little crash course. Then, of course I have to baby sit in case they cannot find a feature, and/or explain why some of their music cannot be read/played.

There are also few other issues that people find annoying, like layout, cheap plastic buttons, too much stuff crammed together, too many functions for certain buttons (it gets confusing when you’re not sure if you need to hold a button, or just click it, or whatever- some stuff is simply not intuitive). Also if you are DJ that relies on BPM engine, this deck will not be your friend. When playing CDs BPM count is not reliable, and it varies a lot. Sometimes it will go nuts completely (going from 60 BPM to 160 BPM and so forth). Unless you have your music pre-analyzed in DJ music manager and play from USB, you cannot count on BPM engine to work for you.
These last few things were annoying for me in the beginning but I got used to them, and luckily I come from records, so I don’t need BPM counter, but it certainly does help with new music you’re not too familiar with.

Please don’t take this as the Denon bashing, since I learned to love my decks and live with it. Guy in service was kind enough to examine my decks and they are fine for now. Most of the DJs who played on them more than couple times, say they like some features like big moving platter when scratching, on board effects, and feel of vinyl. I learned to warn DJs that will play on them to look up the deck layout online for a bit before they come out and play on my decks. Also I have an instruction list for them how to prepare their music if the want to play on my decks. I understand preparing your music and being ready for the gear provided is normal, but with 3700’s (IN MY OPINION) it goes a little too far for a professional piece of gear with its price tag. As I stated above, I bought these as soon as they came out, so maybe it was a bad batch, but still I experience too many problems with them so I decided to go with Pioneer.

Hope this helps and answers your question.

Pmf2000
04-16-2012, 11:47 PM
I love honest feedback and see this as a good dialogue. I just recently got 2 dn-s3700. I wanted to get some experience with CDJ's. The 3700's are pretty close. The 3900's might be the missing link. The only reason I'm considering the 2000's are because they are the club standard. You give me a few more things to think about.