PDA

View Full Version : Using moving head for custom gobo questions...

RGBlite
09-02-2013, 11:58 AM
First post, and I have questions about using a moving head for custom gobo's, such as for a wedding or birthday. Is this typically as good (sharp) as a dedicated gobo projector? I see talk of this, but I haven't found any video or photo examples. Does anyone have any, and if so please state the fixture and your experience. Also, I understand the function of gobo indexing, but can't seem to find a 50-60 watt fixture with DMX focus (which seems like a requirement for me) AND gobo indexing, preferably under 20 lbs. The only thing I've found that comes close is the Chauvet Intimidator Spot 350, but its somewhat larger than I would like. ADJ Innospot LED has neither. BLizzard Ice 60 has no indexing, correct? Even reasonable scanners seem to have one or the other. The other important question is, if you use a fixture without gobo indexing, can you rotate the custom gobo to the proper orientation, by trial and error I guess, and then have it stay there and go back to it, even after selecting different gobo's, as long as you don't do any individual gobo rotation (under DMX)? I think I could live with that, if that was the case.

Thanks so much for any help!

BillESC
09-02-2013, 12:29 PM
The Ice 60 is discontinued. You will want indexing.

sss18734
09-02-2013, 04:40 PM
x2 on indexing. You will be incredibly frustrated without it.

I really wouldn't try to use anything less than the Intimidator 350 for gobo projection, unless you are in a very dim room. Here is a picture of our 350's being used alongside a pair of 750 watt Source 4. The 350's are very nice and crisp, but in terms of output, there is just no comparison.

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt233/sss18734/857604_525106350846176_1143690797_o_zps7ccf1cf3.jp g

RGBlite
09-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Thanks, Bill. And special thanks to sss18734 for the photo and comparison. Assuming that's the 350 on the back curtain, I'm impressed with the detail. Also it seems to be a little washed by the runway lighting. It would be very interesting to see how it compared if the curtain were as dark as the area where the Source 4's hit. But this is quite helpful. Thanks, guys!

BillESC
09-03-2013, 05:46 PM
I'm a dealer for most brands if you need pricing.

superlativeevents
09-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Can depend on the gobos. Glass will generally give you a clearer more accurate image than steel. Transparency printing can be used in some of the LED movers. Some of the brighter LED movers will not be completely dark with transparencies because most printers at home won't get it dark enough.

Another bump for indexing on the movers.