PDA

View Full Version : Chinese/no-brand puck par lights?

Johnnotestine
03-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Has anyone used the chinese or no-brand puck lights for sale on ebay? What has your experience with them been? I have been looking at lights like the following:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flat-3-watt-TRI-LED-RGB-Par-can-puck-style-DMX-Light-3W-/270744810939?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f09a5f5bb#ht_3178wt_1021

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Slim-Flat-RGB-Par-64-can-puck-style-DMX-DJ-light-/270842400559?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0f770f2f#ht_2975wt_1021

These appear to be identical to the Blizzard brand lights; however, I know how appearances can be deceiving.

I would use these primarily as uplights for weddings/proms.

pertytown
03-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Thing is, if they come d.o.a., or they break, although there may be a warrantee, its a pain to get them serviced or replaced as you have to pay to ship them to China. I would spend the little bit extra to get the actual puck 3's

Synaxis
03-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Puck3's are already at $150.

If you buy a few, I'm sure you can bargain a lower price, maybe $135 each, and pay almost the same price as you would for the knock offs.

Plus, you would have a warranty for a few bucks more per puck.

Johnnotestine
03-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Looking at a 4 puck package for $300. Don't think I can match this with the blizzards.

I agree about the warranty, but are these the same lights. Anyone taken the gamble and been happy?

Synaxis
03-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Don't know yet.

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?1450-Did-something-not-recommended-by-the-forum

Just remember, You get what you pay for.

RodneyL
03-05-2012, 08:27 AM
I have not tried these chinese knock offs... but just FYI- I bought some wash lights last year and went with a knock off brand rather than the pucks and I regretted it. Ended up sending two back and selling two later in the year due to problems.

Johnnotestine
03-05-2012, 10:19 AM
RodneyL - Thanks for the response. I was hoping to hear some actual experience. Do you know which ones you got? Are they still for sale?

RodneyL
03-05-2012, 10:27 AM
I bought a 4 pack of LED wash lights from Hollywood DJ for $300. Mostly based of off a stellar review from a Youtube DJ and a post on this old forum. I think they were a LED Splash 186 or something along those lines, based off of the Chauvet version. Tons of problems with those lights. Two didn't work right out of the box and went back for a refund. The other two worked randomly, sometimes well and sometimes not at all, they were sold for cheap (well below what I paid).

I would have rather had 2 pucks for the $300 once it was all said and done.

But don't let that influence you too much. I bought some cheap mini par cans years ago that still work well from cheaplights.com. They were a good buy. Might I suggest ordering just one of the lights as a trial and then if it works well, order more after that?

Johnnotestine
03-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Yes, that sounds like a pretty good solution. I actually have plenty of time before the gigs I want to use them at. I will update everyone when I get the light.

I found this youtube video of a guy using 10 of the chinese lights. They look great, but no review on durability or how many came not working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIxclj2MH5c

instinct
03-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Don't know yet.

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?1450-Did-something-not-recommended-by-the-forum

Just remember, You get what you pay for.

I was supposed to get them today, but they were delayed. You can check the thread, hopefully they should be here by this week!! TAKING FOREVER. Usually I get my items from China within 2 weeks.

DJStevieRay
03-06-2012, 07:40 AM
If you are buying 4 and 3 arrive with issues, it will cost you $150 to ship them back, plus another 3 weeks-6 months to get the replacements depending on the factory and customs. If they even will swap them out at all. If you buy 4 for $300 and 2 have issues, and you cannot get them repaired/swapped, then you paid more than you would have for 2 pucks. If you order 4 and 3 or 4 work great, then you win. It is all about the roll of the dice.

When someone is contemplating ordering direct from China, I will usually give the following advise. First be handy with a soldering iron, as I have seen 1/4 to 1/2 of the orders have cold solder joints. Secondly if you are going to order from China, you should do so if you need 20 or more, or you lose the cost effectiveness. Because if you need 20, you can order 30, still save a few bucks, and have spare parts. There is a reason the US distributors cost more (Blizzard, Eternal, ect.) They know when they receive 1000, they are going to have to repair 200-400 before reselling, and they are going to have maybe 50-100 that are completely DOA. There is cost to all of that. Just some food for thought before thinking that the manufacturers are buying lights for $70, and reselling for $150. The legitimate ones actually make sure what you get works. And in the off chance one gets through QC with an issue, they back them with a 2 year warranty.

SummitAudioDJ
04-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Yeah that video is mine of the 10 RGB pucks. I bought them directly from the same Chinese plant that makes the blizzard puck style lights. Some of my light cases even had faint Blizzard lighting insignia on the backs. I have now sold all of my RGB 10mm pucks and replaced them with 20 of the Tri LED PUCK 3's. I had a few (4 out of 100) of these puck style lights have problems. The company sent out 4 new units with my next order and then I had 4 lights for parts in the future if needed. I had 2 puck 3's with LED's out and 2 RGB pucks with display error problems. If half of them fail I'm still ahead of buying the Blizzard brand name of the same lights. I also bought 4 - tri LED flurry wash moving heads with the same great results. Check out Ali Express to buy directly from China. Just do some research and check feedback / reviews. Almost all of our DJ lighting is made in China. We pay a drastic increase for these items for Brand recognintion, a whopping 1yr warranty , and R & D which is probably done by the Chinese plants anyways. Don't get me wrong I have plenty of Chauvet and ADJ lights in my arsenal but if I could find the equivalent lights for half the price I would buy them.

electricsmooth
04-01-2012, 01:11 PM
I have the exact same ones as the second link. I also have real blizzard pucks. They are identical in every way. They also work together when dmx'd. I have had no issues with my non labelled pucks

DJStevieRay
04-01-2012, 09:16 PM
We pay a drastic increase for these items for Brand recognintion, a whopping 1yr warranty.

Actually with Blizzard, you get a 2 year Warranty.

sarellano
06-25-2012, 06:24 PM
I bought 8 lights from China, which I think is the same manufacturer that blizzard buys from. They stamp the name, make a few changes and add packaging. Out of the 8, 6 were good and 2 were not. They came when they said and the customer service was actually great and they made it easy to buy. They sent me two replacements at no charge. The only real issue I had was they were not 3channel like the actual blizzards, so hooking up a 3 channel controller was useless. I use ShowXpress to run the lights and they work great. Very bright and rich in color. Hope it helps.

jasplat88
06-25-2012, 06:48 PM
It's hit or miss with Chinese lights, but the eBay seller (vivo_jewels) listed in the first post is GREAT and these lights are identical to Blizzards. I purchased 10 of the RGBA's over a year ago and all work great. The DMX and programs are identical to the Blizzards. They carry the same warranty (2 Yr), and if you had a problem with them this seller will work with you. There's no way I could justify paying Blizzard's markup for puck lights, and would not hesitate to buy more of these if I needed them.

That said, you should be careful who you buy from and some sellers (direct or resellers) are not nearly as reputable as vivo_jewels.

Alpine_Ent
06-30-2012, 01:22 AM
chinese knock offs? Go look at any chauvet light or any blizzard and eternal light. it says MADE IN CHINA. they are identical in every way, you might be overpaying with eternal and blizzard but you get the warranty and customer service. That is pretty much what you are paying for.

but I just ordered 2 RGBAW Battery Powered with wireless DMX for 110 a piece. 70$ shipping.

If you want real quality. go buy martin or elation stuff.

Synaxis
06-30-2012, 10:39 AM
chinese knock offs? Go look at any chauvet light or any blizzard and eternal light. it says MADE IN CHINA. they are identical in every way, you might be overpaying with eternal and blizzard but you get the warranty and customer service. That is pretty much what you are paying for.

but I just ordered 2 RGBAW Battery Powered with wireless DMX for 110 a piece. 70$ shipping.

If you want real quality. go buy martin or elation stuff.

I don't think you know the meaning of "knock-offs."

Knock-off: "A counterfeit is an imitation, usually one that is made with the intent of fraudulently passing it off as genuine. Counterfeit products are often produced with the intent to take advantage of the established worth of the imitated product."

And where do you think Martin and Elation manufacture their products? Because I'm pretty sure it is China too. And I've seem a bunch of martin Knock-offs just as well.

By the way, Chauvet, Blizzard, ADJ, Martin, Elation, ect, all test their products before sending them out to consumers. You don't get that guarantee buying directly from the factory. And there have been quite a number of stories here and DJF1.0 about members purchasing gear directly from China, few of which turned out successful.

Alpine_Ent
06-30-2012, 02:59 PM
I don't think you know the meaning of "knock-offs."

Knock-off: "A counterfeit is an imitation, usually one that is made with the intent of fraudulently passing it off as genuine. Counterfeit products are often produced with the intent to take advantage of the established worth of the imitated product."

And where do you think Martin and Elation manufacture their products? Because I'm pretty sure it is China too. And I've seem a bunch of martin Knock-offs just as well.

By the way, Chauvet, Blizzard, ADJ, Martin, Elation, ect, all test their products before sending them out to consumers. You don't get that guarantee buying directly from the factory. And there have been quite a number of stories here and DJF1.0 about members purchasing gear directly from China, few of which turned out successful.

yes I totally agree with you 100%. but I think the difference is designed in USA and manufactured in china. like apple produced for example. you cannot buy identical iphone. but these 2 companies like blizzard and eternal do not design the products. yes it is good to have customer service and warranty and dmx profiles troubleshooting etc thats what you pay for pretty much. for me who isn't big on customer service I do not mind saving myself 1000s $ of dollars and buying directly from china. I just ordered my two lights so I will know soon whether I made good choice or not. but eternal guys are good people and I wish them well. afterall I wouldn't trust wireless dmx without them :)

Nick_EventPro
07-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Martin's production is currently in Denmark, not China.

In regards to Blizzard- they are actively involved with the design and QC in China for all their fixtures. Being a Blizzard dealer, I've had more than one conversation with key people at Blizzard that included "hang-on, I'm in our manufacturing plant in China right now."

It might be the "same" light, but its not held to the same manufacturing standards, and not backed by the same warranty.

Alpine_Ent
07-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Martin's production is currently in Denmark, not China.

In regards to Blizzard- they are actively involved with the design and QC in China for all their fixtures. Being a Blizzard dealer, I've had more than one conversation with key people at Blizzard that included "hang-on, I'm in our manufacturing plant in China right now."

It might be the "same" light, but its not held to the same manufacturing standards, and not backed by the same warranty.

Wouldn't the fact that you are a dealer make you a little more bias though? I mean i totally agree with you as far as customer services warranty/replacement and all that. Plus those guys run a business and they need to make profit and eternal sells the stuff themselves but blizzard has dealers sell it for them. However, if you are looking to buy 30 battery powered uprights for 600$ a piece or something close to that, that is a lot of money vs buying the knock offs. Everyone has their preference though and as long as it does the job then why not :)

Nick_EventPro
07-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Wouldn't the fact that you are a dealer make you a little more bias though?

Where's the bias there? Everything I said was factual. I didn't say you shouldn't buy the knock-offs and you should only buy blizzard lights from me, or anything close to that. :) I've always told people to do what makes sense to them and what fits their situation the best- I just try and provide info on things they may not have considered, or chime in with facts on certain issues.

Regarding the "why not" part of buying knock-offs... (this is personal opinion, and has nothing to do with me being a dealer but consider this)

It costs companies money for R&D. Supporting companies that rip off other designs and sell them cheap stunts new product development and makes their products more expensive. If its not profitable for companies to develop new ideas and release new products, they won't do it. In turn, the knock offs never come into existence because those companies don't have R&D departments.
Just food for thought.

3owls.ca
07-21-2012, 11:10 PM
It costs companies money for R&D. Supporting companies that rip off other designs and sell them cheap stunts new product development and makes their products more expensive. If its not profitable for companies to develop new ideas and release new products, they won't do it. In turn, the knock offs never come into existence because those companies don't have R&D departments.
Just food for thought.

Good to know. I've always thought companies like Blizzard just rebranded these Chinese made lights.

Nick_EventPro
07-22-2012, 02:35 AM
Good to know. I've always thought companies like Blizzard just rebranded these Chinese made lights.

No. It's a much more involved process than that- at least for Blizzard, and Chauvet and a few other major "importers." They are intimately involved in the design of new fixtures- spec'ing which parts to use, setting and overseeing QC processes in China, and provide QC and support in the states. It costs alot of money to do all that, but the end product is way better. Yes, it costs more to the consumer, but in the end it's definitely worth it IMO.

Synaxis
07-22-2012, 10:45 AM

Have a look at this forum topic on ControlBooth: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/27013-entry-level-led-profiles.html

It's actually a REALLY good read on the whole knockoff/copy debate, and even a rep from Chauvet chimed in to explain the whole process.

3owls.ca
07-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Have a look at this forum topic on ControlBooth: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/27013-entry-level-led-profiles.html

It's actually a REALLY good read on the whole knockoff/copy debate, and even a rep from Chauvet chimed in to explain the whole process.

This was a good discussion. Have some rep.

Jim Beck
08-21-2012, 10:36 AM
have you had luck with cheaplights.com I have heatrd not to buy from them but always looking to save money

Nick_EventPro
08-21-2012, 12:38 PM
have you had luck with cheaplights.com I have heatrd not to buy from them but always looking to save money

Jim,

A production company that is an authorized dealer for a particular line will almost always be able to get you better pricing than a guitar center, sam ash or big box store etc. Feel free to email me for a quote on whatever you might be looking for. =)

Johnnotestine
08-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Quick update: 6 months later and my half dozen "knock-offs" are running strong. I'm now thinking about some "knock-off" wicicle units.

Don't hate me for not supporting R & D.

DJ Watty
08-27-2012, 10:16 PM
I love my imported pucks. I have 32 RGBY and no problems. I had an issue with one and they sent me a new one no questions asked.

Johnnotestine
08-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Anyone tried the knock-off wicicle units like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-8pcs-DMX512-DMX-Dfi-DJ-Wireless-system-Receiver-or-Transmitter-2-4G-Compact-/300759680377?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4606ac8579#ht_4437wt_1163

They are half the price of the Blizzards.

DigitalArtDJs
08-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Anyone tried the knock-off wicicle units like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-8pcs-DMX512-DMX-Dfi-DJ-Wireless-system-Receiver-or-Transmitter-2-4G-Compact-/300759680377?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4606ac8579#ht_4437wt_1163

They are half the price of the Blizzards.

I have 3 knock-offs and 2 wicicles, but don't use them much anymore. Never had a issue with the knock-offs functioning (they operate identical to the wicicles), but I don't like the way the power adapter connects to the receiver/transmitter on this style wireless device. I ended up having to tape the adapters to the bodies on mine. If the lights are placed in an area where they could accidentally get bumped they can lose power.

For weddings and such, you want to eliminate as many opportunities for failure as possible and I find the LightCasters to be a MUCH better choice for me.

Johnnotestine
08-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Hmm....any chance you have a picture of this? I'm having a hard time picturing exactly what you're talking about. I know the power supplies plug into the sticks on the sides, just wondering why they would fall out?

I have 3 knock-offs and 2 wicicles, but don't use them much anymore. Never had a issue with the knock-offs functioning (they operate identical to the wicicles), but I don't like the way the power adapter connects to the receiver/transmitter on this style wireless device. I ended up having to tape the adapters to the bodies on mine. If the lights are placed in an area where they could accidentally get bumped they can lose power.

For weddings and such, you want to eliminate as many opportunities for failure as possible and I find the LightCasters to be a MUCH better choice for me.

DigitalArtDJs
08-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Hmm....any chance you have a picture of this? I'm having a hard time picturing exactly what you're talking about. I know the power supplies plug into the sticks on the sides, just wondering why they would fall out?

It's not that they fall out, they wiggle and a wiggle will often cause the power to disconnect. I don't believe you can see this in a picture. If you are plugging them into a battery operated Blizzard Puck - you won't need the power adapter thus eliminating this issue.

Johnnotestine
08-28-2012, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the info. I had not heard the possible shortcoming of the sticks. Since I don't own battery pucks it could be an issue for me.

Are your lightcasters Blizzard brand or the "knock-offs"?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Two-of-Wireless-DMX-Lighting-Signal-Transmitter-Receiver-LCD-Display-/320955614963?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aba7206f3#ht_3947wt_1141

It's not that they fall out, they wiggle and a wiggle will often cause the power to disconnect. I don't believe you can see this in a picture. If you are plugging them into a battery operated Blizzard Puck - you won't need the power adapter thus eliminating this issue.

DigitalArtDJs
08-29-2012, 07:22 AM
Are your lightcasters Blizzard brand or the "knock-offs"?

They are Blizzard Lightcasters and I got a good deal on them off ebay and probably paid what they are asking for the knockoffs.

Jim Beck
09-12-2012, 02:06 PM
I purchase the AmericanDJ mega par profiles for up lighting they were 99.99 best money for lights I have ever spent they are absolutely perfect and the way the cords connect you can lay them flat, you can not beat them.

electricsmooth
09-14-2012, 02:57 PM
I was supposed to get them today, but they were delayed. You can check the thread, hopefully they should be here by this week!! TAKING FOREVER. Usually I get my items from China within 2 weeks.

I have the same lights (your second link). They are identical to the Blizzards. I have Blizzards as well and when linked via DMX, they are 100 percent compatible. I've had them for over a year and they have performed problem-free.

VJ LouNYC
10-10-2012, 02:05 PM
So, I'm in the market for some uplighting. Price will determine how many I get. I can get the Chauvet Lim par 56 for $80 and the 64 for $99. I really like the American DJ Mega Tripar. After reading numerous post about lighting from China, I'm thinking about going with those. IMO there are no moving parts and should last me a while.

That being said, where is the most reliable place to get them? Does anyone have a direct connection to china? which is the best for price?

Synaxis
10-10-2012, 02:43 PM
So, I'm in the market for some uplighting. Price will determine how many I get. I can get the Chauvet Lim par 56 for $80 and the 64 for $99. I really like the American DJ Mega Tripar. After reading numerous post about lighting from China, I'm thinking about going with those. IMO there are no moving parts and should last me a while.

That being said, where is the most reliable place to get them? Does anyone have a direct connection to china? which is the best for price?

Have you read the previous four pages of this thread at all? There IS NO reliable place to get them. You take a huge gamble ordering knock-offs from China, and they haven't been exactly known for "lasting a while."

Rule #1 of uplighting; If your going to invest in it, do it the right way.

VJ LouNYC
10-10-2012, 03:39 PM
I agree with you 100% when it comes to equipment. When it comes to lighting, I think the brand names are overpriced for what they provide. LED is cheap. There is no moving parts.

* I read every post in this thread.

Synaxis
10-10-2012, 04:19 PM
I agree with you 100% when it comes to equipment. When it comes to lighting, I think the brand names are overpriced for what they provide. LED is cheap. There is no moving parts.

* I read every post in this thread.

Yes, you Think, not Know. There are reasons behind the pricing. A lot goes into researching, designing, developing, testing, manufacturing, certifying, quality controlling, and servicing these products. By purchasing knock-offs, you're basically supporting the people who stole the design of a product, and sell it as their own.

How would you feel if you designed the product of the century, while someone in China made an exact copy of it, and began selling it for 15% less than what you charge. Well, no one would buy your product anymore, because they can get a knock off for less money, eventually running you out of business.

Also,

There is no moving parts.

There are no moving parts.

But I mean, it's your money, do whatever you want with it. Just don't come back here in three months asking us for help and advice because the products you bought are not working correctly or are defective.

fueledbymusic
10-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Yes, you Think, not Know. There are reasons behind the pricing. A lot goes into researching, designing, developing, testing, manufacturing, certifying, quality controlling, and servicing these products. By purchasing knock-offs, you're basically supporting the people who stole the design of a product, and sell it as their own.

Also,

But I mean, it's your money, do whatever you want with it. Just don't come back here in three months asking us for help and advice because the products you bought are not working correctly or are defective.

Brand names have their share of problems too. Even the supposed to be higher class stuff too I seen it all.

How would you feel if you designed the product of the century, while someone in China made an exact copy of it, and began selling it for 15% less than what you charge. Well, no one would buy your product anymore, because they can get a knock off for less money, eventually running you out of business. That doesn't happen. Because there are plenty of people out there who prefer the name brand. And plus don't you think that someone would come back to your business if their knock offs failed?

Synaxis
10-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Brand names have their share of problems too. Even the supposed to be higher class stuff too I seen it all.

Yes, they do. I never said they didn't. But I can send a defective brand name product back to the manufacture and get it fixed or replaced for free as long as it is still under the warrenty. Or, if I'm having an issue with the product, I can call up their service department , which costs money to run by the way, and get assistance.

That doesn't happen. Because there are plenty of people out there who prefer the name brand. And plus don't you think that someone would come back to your business if their knock offs failed?

It doesn't happen? Actually, yes, it does, but maybe not to well know and established brands. Well what if you don't have an established brand name? You create a great product, but can't or don't market it well enough. Someone else takes your product, copies it, makes it cheaper, and markets it. Where does that leave you? Not making any money because someone from China is able to sell your product for cheaper under a different name.

Take the game Angry Birds for example. It's ripped of from the Original game called "Crush The Castle." The guy who invented the original game could have been a millionaire today...

Another Example: Frankenstands, I'm sure you have heard of them. At first, they were the only powered speaker stands available, until Ultimate Support ripped them off, and started selling them for a cheaper price, cutting into Mike Ryan's profits, because Ultimate Support is a more established brand name over Frankenstand.

Anyway, we are getting way off topic here. I'm just saying that you should support the people who designed and developed a product over those who simple clone it.

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/27013-entry-level-led-profiles.html
^^ Post #37, Third Paragraph.

P.S. Thanks for the Neg Rep because you disagree with me.

VJ LouNYC
10-10-2012, 06:30 PM

How would you feel if you designed the product of the century, while someone in China made an exact copy of it, and began selling it for 15% less than what you charge. Well, no one would buy your product anymore, because they can get a knock off for less money, eventually running you out of business.

Also,

I only buy HIGH END equipment. I have been in the business for a very long time. I am not a rookie. I get high end parties where lights have never been needed. In this case, my personal feeling is that knock offs are made exactly the same way as the branded ones in my price range. Name brand lights have issues as well. I just feel that in the long run I will make my money back quicker with the no names lights.

And why would i come back and complain that the lights I purchased didn't work well? c'mon son! I know exactly what I am getting myself into. The reason I came on here is because it seems that some members have experience with buying no name lights with little risk.

electricsmooth
10-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Truth is, some people are very passionate about where they buy their lights and bring in the whole morality debate. That's fine. These people enjoy the piece of mind that comes with buying a product locally and the benefits that come along with their purchases (local warranty, support, etc.). That's cool.

Others feel that there is no justification paying sometimes double for a product that appears to be identical just because it is branded. These people will buy "knock off" lights and are aware of the risks that come along with their purchase. Also cool.

Myself, I have some Knock off lights and some US company lights (ADJ, Martin). they all work fine.

Compelling arguments can be made by either side but really, just do what you feel you gotta do. Obama/Romney, kobe/Lebron, Chauvet/Generic agree to disagree.

Synaxis
10-10-2012, 07:50 PM
And why would i come back and complain that the lights I purchased didn't work well? c'mon son! I know exactly what I am getting myself into. The reason I came on here is because it seems that some members have experience with buying no name lights with little risk.

That's perfectly fine with me. Your entitled to your own opinion, and I respect that. I just wanted to outline the risks and reasoning for the differences in prices. You say your a professional and you know what your doing, I believe you, and in the end, if you feel confident to do so, go ahead and buy the lights.

But there will always be a risk. Just because one or a few users have had good experiences here and there doesn't mean the pattern will always repeat.

BillESC
10-10-2012, 08:25 PM
I would consider myself to be a reliable place to purchase lighting from. I'm 40 years in the business.

VJ LouNYC
10-10-2012, 08:50 PM
That's perfectly fine with me. Your entitled to your own opinion, and I respect that. I just wanted to outline the risks and reasoning for the differences in prices. You say your a professional and you know what your doing, I believe you, and in the end, if you feel confident to do so, go ahead and buy the lights.

But there will always be a risk. Just because one or a few users have had good experiences here and there doesn't mean the pattern will always repeat.

Thank you for understanding. I also own Chauvet and ADJ lights that I am happy with. I totally understand the warranty part of it, but this is strictly a business decision.

VJ LouNYC
10-26-2012, 10:18 AM
So i received 12 RGBAW's that I ordered. They are no name brand. They look great and work well. I hooked them up to my Elation 192. So far i'm impressed.

Ntertainment
10-26-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm considering buying some knockoffs, will look at pricing and pricing will determine what i buy.

I'm mildly angry that American companies go through the same arguments that we do (should we have other countries build these lights for us so we have more profit, or should we build them in the USA?) and they always to seem to settle on profit? funny how now they are telling us not to buy from other countries because the products are not as good. But we also want more profit and more bang for our buck.

Another line of thought I’ve been chasing is that if i buy from a US company I’m paying some CEO a lot of money and I’m paying for companies health care and their 5 weeks of paid vacation, even when i can't buy those things for myself!! Like chauvet, how much of every dollar spent goes right to him?? That's cool get the shmucks to buy from you then.

I understand R & D costs, i understand wanting to make a profit but maybe a dealer can chime in on how the pricing scheme works, I know some dealers because they do so much business with the manufacturer gets better pricing and they charge a few dollars less than a dealer who gets normal pricing, to me that is price gouging and is ridiculous. If a company as large as chauvet can’t sell their products cheaper than a small firm in chine knocking off their inventions then I don’t see how capitalism could ever work. Chauvet should sell their products cheaper than the other firm to put the knock offs out of business then.

Even if i buy 24 uplights from this Chinese factory and 5 of them fail and i have to buy 5 more i'm still coming out ahead. The breakeven is probably if half of the lights fail!!!

Ntertainment
10-26-2012, 12:36 PM
So i received 12 RGBAW's that I ordered. They are no name brand. They look great and work well. I hooked them up to my Elation 192. So far i'm impressed.

Where did you buy them, are they similar to blizzard Q6 or Q12s?

Ntertainment
10-26-2012, 12:37 PM
O yeah forgot to say i read every post on the other lighting forum that was posted where FORD chimined in. It pushed me away from buying from a US company.

VJ LouNYC
10-26-2012, 01:17 PM
I bought the ones that are exactly like these:

http://www.blizzardlighting.com/index.php/the-puck-rgbaw

These retail for $180 each.

Sween
10-26-2012, 02:01 PM
I bought Chinese puck knockoffs and the DMX ins/outs are wired backwards... Not a problem when you use them together (the ins are really outs, and outs are really ins)... But major problem when you use them in conjunction with 'real' pucks...

Ntertainment
10-26-2012, 03:14 PM
I bought Chinese puck knockoffs and the DMX ins/outs are wired backwards... Not a problem when you use them together (the ins are really outs, and outs are really ins)... But major problem when you use them in conjunction with 'real' pucks...

Haha funny, they were probably rejects of QC. is there any chance or rewiring them?

Unknown DJ
10-26-2012, 03:50 PM
These are the absolute cheapest I have seen for LED pars. $32 bux. No IEC plug and nod led screen for DMX just switches.

http://www.tomtop.com/lasers-flashlights/stage-dj-lights/us-plug-86-rgb-led-light-dmx-lighting-laser-projector-stage-party-show-disco.html

fueledbymusic
10-28-2012, 01:59 AM
These are the absolute cheapest I have seen for LED pars. $32 bux. No IEC plug and nod led screen for DMX just switches.

http://www.tomtop.com/lasers-flashlights/stage-dj-lights/us-plug-86-rgb-led-light-dmx-lighting-laser-projector-stage-party-show-disco.html

WOW! Those are exactly like the Chauvet Ledsplash 86b I have 4 of! $I paid $55 for each one on Ebay. BUT one thing that's different though. Those $32 ones have only 3 or 4 channel DMX. My Ledsplash has 7 channels. Thus, my Chauvets do have a little extra feature (via dmx only though).

Ntertainment
10-30-2012, 07:32 PM
I did it i bought 12 uplights from a chinese firm.

wapples
11-09-2012, 05:15 AM
EXCELLENT Post. I come across alot of these Chinese fixtures and often the price is ridiculously too cheap including buying 10 RGBW LED bars for $800 vs a good Chauvet one that may cost $800 for just one. TO BE HONEST THERE IS SOME GOOD Stuff out there check triangle lights. THe stuff is pretty solid and is DEFINITELY WELL PACKED!!! Packaging does make a difference since they have to come along way. BUT TO be fair I have Chauvet stuff come from the US to Australia that comes in its retail box and in its shipping box and still have problems. Sometimes the power transformers have moved or servo motors have been come undone. I dont expect this from good brand name stuff but it happens all too much I even had two new Chauvet Cubix lights and had to completely strip down and reassemble from the ground up. Half the screws were not even half tight.

Triangle lights alo have no expanded distribution outlets in some key countries so when you go to buy it will be shipped usually from your country rather than waiting an extra week for it to come in from China. The gear is solid and I have been most impressed for the price.

STILL lets look at PAR CANS> PAR 64 RGB. Some are pretty ordinary and we can take that for granted for the moment but not all are programmed the same way for DMX so don't think CH1 will always be green as some it will be blue or master on off.

I have a supplier here in Australia WHO I KNOW IMPORTS from China but works hard to find suppliers that will build the fixtures and hardware to the specific requirements. Great for me but then I hire this stuff out and it needs to take the rough and tumble. I have to say the Chauvet stuff has been good MOST of the ADJ stuff has been reliable except for the Dual Gems and there coloured gobo projectors which i can never get more than 6months out of one. NOTE Stuff only gets hired on weekends so 6 months only really equates to approximately 25-24 hires at about 4 hours use each.

I know Iam getting off topic on the items you are after but certainly spend a small investment to triangle lights (you can find em on ebay) and see if you can find an equivalent of what you are looking for in their site.

YES BEWARE WHAT YOU BUY AND YES YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR SOMETIMES BUT just get a sample of what you are after and test it thoroughly.

Ntertainment
11-13-2012, 09:51 AM
I received the lights yesterday. They are OP.

Johnnotestine
11-13-2012, 11:40 AM
I received the lights yesterday. They are OP. I compared it to my blizzard q6 and they are a lot brighter. They do infact have 5 colors, RGBAW. I'm going to write a formal review later today with photos and video comparing them to the Q6 but how they ARE NOT identical. After shipping they were $121/ per light, but they are a lot nicer than the cheapest ones they had. I know i paid $182 for Q6 and they only have 4 colors and were not as bright. I've got them plugged in all over the house to make sure they all work and test reliability. The company i ordered from had a lot cheaper models, but i wanted to try a nicer light, next i'm going to get a MH from them and check that out. The prices on MH are about a third of what chauvet charges!

Can you provide a link to the lights you purchased?

electricsmooth
11-13-2012, 12:22 PM
I bought 4 moving heads for about $420 each (including shipping) from MS Lighting. They are apparently identical to the Q Spot 260. I've used them only two times but they work great so far.

MS Lighting will do paypal while some of the other companies have more shady forms of payment methods.

Ntertainment
11-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Been running for almost 24 hours now, and no hickups

Johnnotestine
11-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Here (http://www.mslighting.com.cn/ProductShow.asp?ID=563) is the link. Been running for almost 24 hours now, and no hickups

What DMX file are you using, or did you create a fixture? I'm sure these are identical to something though.

Ntertainment
11-13-2012, 09:30 PM
I'm not using them on DMX right now and probably won't. I have the Q6 already built into ShowXpress and have 24 of them. I almost never hook uplights up to DMX because of the number of cables. I would create a profile for them though. ShowXpress makes that pretty easy.

Ntertainment
11-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Ok so the lights they shipped me are great!

They are really bright LEDS.

disbjohn
11-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Ok so the lights they shipped me are identical to the FAB 5 series from blizzard. FAB 5 (http://www.blizzardlighting.com/index.php/news/item/160-fab5-series-led-fixtures-gearing-up-to-invade-america)

They are really bright 15w RGBAW, LEDS. The top of it looks exactly the same as the fab 5 without the plastic shield.

I've ordered a couple of samples of the same light you got from MS Lighting.

Johnnotestine
11-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Ok so the lights they shipped me are identical to the FAB 5 series from blizzard. FAB 5 (http://www.blizzardlighting.com/index.php/news/item/160-fab5-series-led-fixtures-gearing-up-to-invade-america)

They are really bright 15w RGBAW, LEDS. The top of it looks exactly the same as the fab 5 without the plastic shield.

AGIProDJ is selling the Fab 5 for $255.55. If this is the Fab 5 for $120, you found a screaming deal. Can you post some pictures?

I am tempted to place an order. My Chinese brand-less "Puck 3's" have been flawless.

VJ LouNYC
12-02-2012, 07:10 PM
These are the lights I recently purchased. I am very pleased with them. They are no name chinese lights.

RGBAW's
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd495/lougnyc/Lights-RGBAW.jpg

RGBA's 3-1 (very bright)
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd495/lougnyc/Lights-3-1RGBA.jpg

azarraga053
12-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Am I missing something? I cant find the prices?...

DJ Higgumz
12-04-2012, 10:27 PM
I just bought a pair of RGBW 64's with 186 10mm LEDs to use as washes. they are off of ebay from a US seller by the name of masseys_music. here they are, for a pair $119
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Bright-PAR-64-RGBW-186-LED-Digital-DMX-8ch-Space-Saving-Can-Double-Yoke/230877504975?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=013&category=177022&cmd=ViewItem
this listing ends in 5 hours, so here is another pair I hesitated to buy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Par-64s-36-X-3W-LEDs-DJ-Stage-Light-RGBW/330826272525?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=014&category=177022&cmd=ViewItem

I also got 2 of the small par 38s like the Chauvet LEDSplash, to shine back on me and my booth or as truss warmers. I'll let you guys know how they turn out! :)